Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
With JG, I feel like the game has just been moving too fast for him against the better teams. Hopefully with more experience and a better running game the game slows down some. Also as much as we loved JJ and MC they weren't exactly the fastest receivers. Im hoping adding speed and having recievers getting in and out of their routes quicker will help JG.
With that being said I have serious BVS with JG and have little confidence he gets the job done.

Purely on STATS...he improved. Not a Brady/Burrow job. Perfectly ok with not going back in that circle.
I’d say go watch GSU, BYU, Fl, MSU, UAB, Vandy, and Indiana and tell me that’s an improved QB.

Putting up gaudy numbers in 1 or two games doesn’t mean he improved. They literally would not let him pass against BYU and MSU and you want to argue he improved? Not a chance

You just can’t stop defending that Braves manager. My goodness man. You must be related. Thankfully he didn’t have the boneheaded decisions the last two days that he did with Chacin to put the Braves in a hole the past two games.

No, if Maurer shows improvement that would be coaching. If he were still a freshman you might say he was just that talented or something. But we saw Maurer last year. So if he is improved then I’ll give Weinke credit
Sometimes being related isn’t a positive. Did Snit marry your aunt...or divorce her?

Reactions: Bassmaster_Vol
I’d say go watch GSU, BYU, Fl, MSU, UAB, Vandy, and Indiana and tell me that’s an improved QB.

Putting up gaudy numbers in 1 or two games doesn’t mean he improved. They literally would not let him pass against BYU and MSU and you want to argue he improved? Not a chance
Go back over the schedule the PREVIOUS year and holla at me. I’m not a JG defender, I just ain’t signing on to your total disaster spiel.

I agree with Bass tho, there were plenty of times the coaches did not trust him to throw and it killed the offense.
At the beginning of the year? Yeah. In that cited bowl game they were NEEDING him to make throws at the end of the game...and he did. Yeah he was the biggest culprit in getting them in that hole but it’s about the final score.

Giving yourself outs on subjectivity 😎

How about 20 TDs and a 150 QBR? 150 QBR would be top-10 to 12 out of P5 QBs the last couple of years.
That’s true. It may be hard to quantify. For example, Jarrett was terrible against GSU, I think everyone agrees with that. But he threw for 311 yards and 2 touchdowns.

So it’s possible to have big stats and still not be that good. We see it all the time. But if he throws 20 TD’s in a 10 game season I’d say that would show significant improvement. I’m not going to dig my heels in and say he didn’t improve if everyone knows that he did.

With JG, I feel like the game has just been moving too fast for him against the better teams. Hopefully with more experience and a better running game the game slows down some. Also as much as we loved JJ and MC they weren't exactly the fastest receivers. Im hoping adding speed and having recievers getting in and out of their routes quicker will help JG.
With that being said I have serious BVS with JG and have little confidence he gets the job done.
Being comfortable with an ELITE OL should certainly help. He still has PTSD from the leftover Butch OLs.

At the beginning of the year? Yeah. In that cited bowl game they were NEEDING him to make throws at the end of the game...and he did. Yeah he was the biggest culprit in getting them in that hole but it’s about the final score.

I think he does better in a "have to" situation. Not as much time to think but just go out and throw the ball.

I have seen this before, but the opposite. Casey Clausen was an absolute mess at practice. It was awful. You wouldn't believe how bad it was unless you saw it with your own eyes.

But then he steps on the field and the lights come on and boom - he is lighting it up.

It's a hard thing to explain.

Wasn't that the thing with Dobbs too or at least what CBJ was probably pushing that narrative as to why he was the 3rd string to start his freshman and sophomore seasons?

I think he does better in a "have to" situation. Not as much time to think but just go out and throw the ball.
Makes sense. He started thinking more after getting the lead back against Kentucky. 😏

For every throw he made at the end of the year he missed during the year. He cost the team the BYU game. There are probably a dozen throws he missed in the UF game. UGA he was atrocious. Alabama he missed throws where we settled for 3 when we could've had 7. The year before was the same thing couldn't make the throws against the big boys, but when he faces the teams with less speed the game slows down. If he hasn't figured it out in 2 years should we really expect anything different? He isn't able to make the reads fast enough against the big boys, when he does he misses the throws quite often, and he doesnt have the speed to keep teams honest in the QB run game. One thing Maurer excelled at last year was the RPO game, JG missed the reads on those a lot.

I’m glad he was able to complete check down passes to wide open RB

Wasn't that the thing with Dobbs too or at least what CBJ was probably pushing that narrative as to why he was the 3rd string to start his freshman and sophomore seasons?
Both he and his family wanted the redshirt. That’s never been in doubt. He was behind Peterman and Ferguson in that first season, but that was splitting hairs. Peterman was only ahead on the depth chart the next season because...once again redshirt considerations. When Worley couldn’t go another snap, everyone knew Dobbs was up.

For every throw he made at the end of the year he missed during the year. He cost the team the BYU game. There are probably a dozen throws he missed in the UF game. UGA he was atrocious. Alabama he missed throws where we settled for 3 when we could've had 7. The year before was the same thing couldn't make the throws against the big boys, but when he faces the teams with less speed the game slows down. If he hasn't figured it out in 2 years should we really expect anything different? He isn't able to make the reads fast enough against the big boys, when he does he misses the throws quite often, and he doesnt have the speed to keep teams honest in the QB run game. One thing Maurer excelled at last year was the RPO game, JG missed the reads on those a lot.
Imagine if he hits wide open JJ against Bama for the TD and if he hands the ball to Crouch. We may have beaten Alabama. But he couldn’t hit a wide open JJ and called his own number and here we are.

Being comfortable with an ELITE OL should certainly help. He still has PTSD from the leftover Butch OLs.
For sure, those lines combined with having the same OC who is a really good coach should help a ton, but at the end of the day JG has to find a way to slow the game down for himself mentally when the lights come on. Im not his biggest fan, but I will give him credit where its due, hes usually solid in getting the team in the right protections, and hes pretty good at checking in the run game, rouge QB sneaks aside. He just doesnt diagnose the plays quick enough against the better teams. Another thing I noticed is he struggles putting enough air under the ball and doesnt lead recievers or throw guys open. He throws 100 mph lightning rods and guys usually have to stop or slow and they lose their momentum when if he led them they could gain an extra 10-15 yards.

Kentucky slow? Personally I doubt he makes himself draftable, but I could see even more improvement with two consecutive years with the same playcaller...less so with practically no off season. I expect Pruitt to play the best option. Never bought into this idea that he’s personally invested in JG getting drafted. He’s about winning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back