'21 NC DT Payton Page (Clemson commit)

No, I haven't ever volunteered to coach football, but I definitely respect and appreciate anyone that gives up their time to work with kids...Studies show interest in youth sports has been on a steady decline for a number of years now. It's sad because the lessons learned are invaluable.
Wasn’t asking you...rude.

Some people think smaller nose tackles that are agile enough to get after the quarterback are a new way to combat spread-heavy opponents. It looks like Bama will run out DJ Dale this year in the middle, an example of such. Idk if Pruitt would rather play a true big daddy space eater and is just forced go smaller due to limited personnel, but anyway...

You know-it-alls continue. Sorry to interrupt.

I saw some Greg Emerson slander in here as far as his ability at nose. Since Bama's 34 seems to be the gold standard, Daron Payne played nose in their scheme at 6'2 308 and has been great in that role for Washington. That's almost the exact same size as Emerson, so using his size against him as a fit at NT does not work.

It's easy for anyone to see looking back on this thread (as if there's wasnt enough documentation in your history) why you have such a rough time engaging with people. I wish you luck!

GBO!

Keenobserver,

Love the name of your handle. Body composition and proportion play a big role in who plays what on the D-line. To be frank...NTs need to have more ass than the other d-lineman. Their base needs to be larger and proportionately thicker and sturdier.

I saw some Greg Emerson slander in here as far as his ability at nose. Since Bama's 34 seems to be the gold standard, Daron Payne played nose in their scheme at 6'2 308 and has been great in that role for Washington. That's almost the exact same size as Emerson, so using his size against him as a fit at NT does not work.
Can't just go by height and weight.

Payne has a very large and powerful lower body. Big butt. His upper body is strong too, buy his lower body thickness is what you want.

Emerson can play all spots. Very versatile. But is he a classic NT? Nah...

But he's good there and by far the best we've had.

Reactions: keenobserver
Keenobserver,

Love the name of your handle. Body composition and proportion play a big role in who plays what on the D-line. To be frank...NTs need to have more ass than the other d-lineman. Their base needs to be larger and proportionately thicker and sturdier.

I agree LittleVol

Can't just go by height and weight.

Payne has a very large and powerful lower body. Big butt. His upper body is strong too, buy his lower body thickness is what you want.

Emerson can play all spots. Very versatile. But is he a classic NT? Nah...

But he's good there and by far the best we've had.
I think dismissing the idea that Emerson will get better and better is shortsighted.

No slander from me Joe. I think he's at least at the level of a really good player and he'll be a key component to the success of our defense this season.

In fact, I'm so high on him, I believe he is by far the best interior DL on our team. However, I take the point and respect the idea that Garland has the potential to get there at some point as well.

Last edited:
Some people think smaller nose tackles that are agile enough to get after the quarterback are a new way to combat spread-heavy opponents. It looks like Bama will run out DJ Dale this year in the middle, an example of such. Idk if Pruitt would rather play a true big daddy space eater and is just forced go smaller due to limited personnel, but anyway...

You know-it-alls continue. Sorry to interrupt.

Great point. Another name people tend to forget is Blakley. He's the one Pruitt used in the money package last season in obvious passing situations. He was also used to replace a DB in goaline.

Last edited:
Great point. Another name people tend to forget is Blakley. He's the one Pruitt used in the money package last season in obvious passing situations.
Yeah I will always remember him as the guy who helped stopped Lynn Bowden on that 4th & goal even though Bituli seems to get all the credit for it.

I will continue to hope Page has second thought before we reach the ESP. Would love for him to flip to us.

I think dismissing the idea that Emerson will get better and better is shortsighted.

Who's doing that?
I'm not.

He was injured and hadn't played for 2 years. Very naturally strong and can run. Yeah. He got better and will continue to.

Reactions: butchna
Who's doing that?
I'm not.

He was injured and hadn't played for 2 years. Very naturally strong and can run. Yeah. He got better and will continue to.
Just generally in respect to this whole conversation. Your assessment didn’t dismiss him but also didn’t paint him as a promising NT.

Just generally in respect to this whole conversation. Your assessment didn’t dismiss him but also didn’t paint him as a promising NT.

He's not a "true" NT. I simply mean he's not..he's not the big plugger. Doesn't mean that he's not a good NT or won't become a great one.

I made that assessment more so towards Keenobserver because he put out height and weight and said "this" size dimension should be able to play NT.

He's like Johnathan Allen. Can play at a high-level across the board. Which mean Emerson can stay on the field at all times.

Reactions: butchna
He's not a "true" NT. I simply mean he's not..he's not the big plugger. Doesn't mean that he's not a good NT or won't become a great one.

I made that assessment more so towards Keenobserver because he put out height and weight and said "this" size dimension should be able to play NT.

He's like Johnathan Allen. Can play at a high-level across the board. Which mean Emerson can stay on the field at all times.
Fair enough. We slightly disagree but not wholly.

One of the overall points I've tried to make is one very similar to what I think your saying @LittleVol... What most 3-4 coaches look for out of a 3-4 NT differs slightly from those that run a traditional 4-3, both in terms of responsibilities and skill sets.... Sure, guys that don't fit the prototypical fit as a 3-4 NT can be great at the position, just like any other position..

I think it's also interesting and worth noting with CJPs past as a 3-4 guy, how often we've been in a traditional even front the past few years.

Has CJP evolved his defensive philosophy, specifically with respect to fronts? Or...

Has he adapted to the strengths of the personnel he either inherited or recruited in year 1/2?

My prediction is if (and when) we land an elite NT, we'll see him aligned either head up with the center or in a "1" technique out of base sets.....NOT every time, but much more than we've done the last few years. At least as much as was the case when Pruitt was at AL, GA, and FSU....

Last edited:

VN Store

Back