The Golf Thread

Playing the Magnolia Grove RTJ courses in Mobile this weekend. Closest we could get to an RTJ course and a beach for the wives.

Anyone played them? The courses are “Crossings” and “Falls”

Playing the Magnolia Grove RTJ courses in Mobile this weekend. Closest we could get to an RTJ course and a beach for the wives.

Anyone played them? The courses are “Crossings” and “Falls”

I have played all the RTJs in the top half of that state which shall not be named, but not down there. Looking forward to your report. "Hit em Straight".

Tiger Woods has a major PGA championship decision on his hands

DUBLIN, Ohio — Play again soon, Tiger.

Sooner rather than later.

Sooner meaning one more tournament before the PGA Championship takes place in three weeks at Harding Park in San Francisco.

Tiger Woods is not going to play in the 3M Championship next week in Minnesota, so that means the WGC FedEx St. Jude Invitational in two weeks in Memphis.

It’s never been a good business decision to bet against Woods, but if he doesn’t play in Memphis, bet on this: Woods has little to no chance of competing to win the PGA Championship.

Mark that down in ink.

https://nypost.com/2020/07/19/tiger-woods-has-a-major-pga-championship-decision-on-his-hands/

I'm sure the close up made it look worse than it was, but I'm really surprised that he'd even attempt to ground the club there as bad as that lie was.
the naked eye rule that was supposed to be implemented is where I'm curious. Naked eye standing directly in front of the ball? It definitely moved and didn't move back, but I don't know how you see that without the extreme close up.

Reactions: Plecoptera
I really don’t like how they have a cameras zoomed to that magnitude preshot. It’s just asking for controversy.

Also golf really needs to add something in the rules about improving the lie/gaining an advantage. There’s no discernible advantage gained in these slight movements of the golf ball, therefore there shouldn’t be a penalty. If someone uses it to better a lie or cause the ball to move towards the hole then penalize them, if these conditions don’t occurs then no penalty. Let’s use some common sense instead of complicating the game.

Reactions: Plecoptera
I really don’t like how they have a cameras zoomed to that magnitude preshot. It’s just asking for controversy.

Also golf really needs to add something in the rules about improving the lie/gaining an advantage. There’s no discernible advantage gained in these slight movements of the golf ball, therefore there shouldn’t be a penalty. If someone uses it to better a lie or cause the ball to move towards the hole then penalize them, if these conditions don’t occurs then no penalty. Let’s use some common sense instead of complicating the game.
I mostly agree but . . . it's just begging for trouble to ground the club the way Rahm was doing in a lie like that. I don't think he was even slightly trying to gain an advantage though.

I mostly agree but . . . it's just begging for trouble to ground the club the way Rahm was doing in a lie like that. I don't think he was even slightly trying to gain an advantage though.
it's a slippery where you stop and use "common sense". What's considered an "advantage"? Really wanna loosen things up more then he did two years ago and let Patrick Reed go out there?

Problem is that it gets hard to figure out intent. 9 out of 10 guys would never try to improve their lie that way . . . but then there's that 10th guy.

Well, then why have the grass man near calf high in that location? Over the course of a day, esp. since he was in the last group, there are bound to be those subtle depressions from footprints. The ball really isn't going to have much choice but to wiggle a bit.

There’s plenty that push the limits and if there were high resolution cameras zooming in on every shot for the past 100 years there would be plenty more. From Gary Player to Greg Norman to Tiger himself. They all do that push down behind the ball in the rough and many times the ball cant even be seen. The Patrick Reed sand debacle was fairly obvious.

I’m sure it’s a slippery slope at some point, but I think it’s better to rely on the integrity of the game than analyzing the slow mo of a zoomed in camera angle.

In my mind unless it’s blatantly obvious on camera that the person is cheating (Patrick reed in the bunker) then it should be up to the player and his group to call him out. The pga was very fortunate that the tournament was well in hand or else they’d be getting blasted, and rightfully so.

I’m sure it’s a slippery slope at some point, but I think it’s better to rely on the integrity of the game than analyzing the slow mo of a zoomed in camera angle.

In my mind unless it’s blatantly obvious on camera that the person is cheating (Patrick reed in the bunker) then it should be up to the player and his group to call him out. The pga was very fortunate that the tournament was well in hand or else they’d be getting blasted, and rightfully so.
I'm thinking that had the match been within 2 strokes they may have acted differently. But since Rahm was up 5, it gave them a chance to make a statement...

Well, then why have the grass man near calf high in that location? Over the course of a day, esp. since he was in the last group, there are bound to be those subtle depressions from footprints. The ball really isn't going to have much choice but to wiggle a bit.
That’s golf.

Reactions: volfanbill

VN Store

Back