Aluminum Can Shortage: Certain Sodas and Beers In Short Supply

I remember when we first got TBS and Skip Carey started calling them America’s team. I always thought that was kinda funny - they weren’t great back then, but had a few good players.

Yeah, the America's Team was back in the day when TBS broadcast all the Braves games nationwide. One of the first teams to have that kind of repetitive national coverage on a daily basis. Dale Murphy was the king.

Beer tastes better in glass bottles and it is not even close. Don’t really GAF about soda.

Is that a knock on Keystones lined aluminum can?! There are some beers I should have never tried, luckily Keystone is not one of them. I'm proud to have refrained. PBR isn't terrible. Definitely an old school beer. Not my first choice in the cooler. Only had a couple in my life. I remember seeing old guys drinking Schlitz Beer. Steered away from that one too. But I have had old Milwaukee and The Beast (our name for Milwaukee's Best). That's another I should have left alone. College buddy was all about Busch.

My Doemstics:
Yeungling
Landshark
Sam Adams
High Life (way under appreciated imo)

I'd have to dig deep to remember. Born in '65, so I wouldn't have been too aware of him till late 70's. I vaguely remember guys at school talking about him. Maybe I just didn't get into him then.

Back then the FCC required a certain amount of news casts per day.... so Bill Tush would do the "news" in the middle of the night... I worked summers on 2nd shift and I watched after I got home. I checked and of course u tube has a video, even with his wonderdog Rex.

Last edited:
Is that a knock on Keystones lined aluminum can?! There are some beers I should have never tried, luckily Keystone is not one of them. I'm proud to have refrained. PBR isn't terrible. Definitely an old school beer. Not my first choice in the cooler. Only had a couple in my life. I remember seeing old guys drinking Schlitz Beer. Steered away from that one too. But I have had old Milwaukee and The Beast (our name for Milwaukee's Best). That's another I should have left alone. College buddy was all about Busch.

My Doemstics:
Yeungling
Landshark
Sam Adams

If you got the time....we got the beer.

Back then the FCC required a certain amount of news casts per day.... so Bill Tush would do the "news" in the middle of the night... I worked summers on 2nd shift and I watched after I got home. I checked and of course u tube has a video, even with his wonderdog Rex.

Classic. Guess I was more in the know of his later years and not the early start.

Reactions: StarRaider

My Doemstics:
Yeungling
Landshark
Sam Adams
mentioning Schlitz and Old Milwaukee several beers from my younger days are gone: Falstaff, Ortels 92, Carling Black Label, Falls City, Colt 45, Old German, Hamms come to mind.
When I was at UT in the early '70s, Coors was sold only West of the Mississippi. Some guys in the Air Guard in Knoxville would fly a C-130 out west for their required training and buy a plane load of Coors for $1.50 a six pack and sell in in Knoxville for $5.

They don't mention all the nasty waste created by the smelting process. Salt cake and dross, which emit ammonia gas to the atmosphere and can ignite when wet. Waste has to go to industrial landfills and is hard to manage.
Actually the dross from aluminum recycling is used in the making of steel. Not just discarded into the environment.

mentioning Schlitz and Old Milwaukee several beers from my younger days are gone: Falstaff, Ortels 92, Carling Black Label, Falls City, Colt 45, Old German, Hamms come to mind.
When I was at UT in the early '70s, Coors was sold only West of the Mississippi. Some guys in the Air Guard in Knoxville would fly a C-130 out west for their required training and buy a plane load of Coors for $1.50 a six pack and sell in in Knoxville for $5.
How about Olympia? Worst beer I have ever had the pleasure of drinking.

How about Olympia? Worst beer I have ever had the pleasure of drinking.
Stella Egyptian beer. Real chunks of something floating in it, served at room temperature in Cairo , Egypt.

Honorable mention, the first beer I had in Italy was preserved with formaldehyde. Said it right on the bottle.

My Doemstics:
Yeungling
Landshark
Sam Adams
Busch was my go to back in college.....unless I’d made some extra $ betting football..., then I’d get Michelob

You think future kids will ever get to experience the simple pleasures like we did? A few weeks ago we discussed playing in the creek. We used to walk to the store for icees (maybe slushies) sold in mini baseball helmets.

Are those times gone forever?
Yes. It sucks to think about. Today's kids think playing outside is a punishment.

Stella Egyptian beer. Real chunks of something floating in it, served at room temperature in Cairo , Egypt.

Honorable mention, the first beer I had in Italy was preserved with formaldehyde. Said it right on the bottle.

Thats was what my brother said when he was stationed in Naples . He said you get use to it after a while .. I said , “you get use to drinking formaldehyde” ? 😂

Yes. It sucks to think about. Today's kids think playing outside is a punishment.
I've got 3. Only the youngest enjoys sports and things outdoors.
Another thing about kids, getting their driver's license is NBD. Almost have to force my 18 year old to drive.

Reactions: tntar heel
I've got 3. Only the youngest enjoys sports and things outdoors.
Another thing about kids, getting their driver's license is NBD. Almost have to force my 18 year old to drive.
Daughter was same way with license until we forced her because we longer worked close to house.

Reactions: McDad
Actually the dross from aluminum recycling is used in the making of steel. Not just discarded into the environment.

Not at the 2 plants I worked with in Mid-TN. they generated so much waste they built their own industrial landfill after commercial landfills stopped taking it. If it got wet it would set the garbage on fire in municipal landfills.

Busch was my go to back in college.....unless I’d made some extra $ betting football..., then I’d get Michelob

Michelob was the first full 12oz beer I ever drank. That and Amber Bock are really good. I'm not into many lite beers at all. Corona, Yuengling, and sam Adams have nice lite beers.

Another good import is the italian beer Peroni. Very nice.

The shortage appears to be due to a rising demand for drinks in cans. That's fueled in large part by the coronavirus: People are drinking more in their homes than at bars and restaurants during the pandemic. Much of what they drink at home comes in cans.Jul 29, 2020

BUT...BUT...TRUMP!!!!!

MY FAMILY OWNS A DISTRIBUTORSHIP IN THE BEVERAGE BUSINESS...CAN MANUFACTURERS WERE NOT DEEMED ESSENTIAL AND FORCED TO CLOSE...THEREFORE...SHORTAGE

He's a protectionist--that's the logical reason.
That's not it.

tenor.gif

The shortage appears to be due to a rising demand for drinks in cans. That's fueled in large part by the coronavirus: People are drinking more in their homes than at bars and restaurants during the pandemic. Much of what they drink at home comes in cans.Jul 29, 2020

BUT...BUT...TRUMP!!!!!

MY FAMILY OWNS A DISTRIBUTORSHIP IN THE BEVERAGE BUSINESS...CAN MANUFACTURERS WERE NOT DEEMED ESSENTIAL AND FORCED TO CLOSE...THEREFORE...SHORTAGE

Did somebody blame the shortage on Trump?

VN Store

Back