Aluminum Can Shortage: Certain Sodas and Beers In Short Supply

I had a Handy Andy down the road with a short cut thru the woods to the back of the store. They had the 6 million dollar man pinball and candy and gum. I would ride down there at night on my mini bike, holding my legs up through the woods so a snake did not get me..lol. There were rattlers.
Would not trade those times for anything.

I remember Handy Andy. We had a Ben Franklin too. Rode bikes there all the time for candy. Parents thought nothing of us riding our bikes a few miles to town.

Also knew a Handy Andy in college. We kept away from his dorm room. But, Handy Ann, she was pretty cute.

Working for Ball and Anheuser-Busch Metal Container Corporation (MCC) was one of the coolest projects I worked on years ago, absolutely amazing and astounding the volume and output, stunning.

Not the worst thing, but we drink so much soda and beer as a country and aluminum is the most recyclable (is that a word?) material in the world. I try to only buy aluminum.

Beer tastes better in glass bottles and it is not even close. Don’t really GAF about soda.

Reactions: 0nelilreb
You think future kids will ever get to experience the simple pleasures like we did? A few weeks ago we discussed playing in the creek. We used to walk to the store for icees (maybe slushies) sold in mini baseball helmets.

Are those times gone forever?

I'm only 30, but my formative years were still pre-widespread internet so all of our time was outside, in the woods, and when I was at my best friend's house in a neighborhood we'd spend hours each day outside playing basketball or flashlight tag and walking to the 'Duck-In' for snacks.

Reactions: PEPPERJAX
Not the worst thing, but we drink so much soda and beer as a country and aluminum is the most recyclable (is that a word?) material in the world. I try to only buy aluminum.
Depends. Aluminum on the whole may be. But I was taught that aluminum cans have a coating that they have to remove with acids/chemicals. Glass you just clean. Takes more to work the glass but if you are worried about resource usage it takes more to recycle aluminum than glass. And glass is also hugely available.

Iirc from school.

Depends. Aluminum on the whole may be. But I was taught that aluminum cans have a coating that they have to remove with acids/chemicals. Glass you just clean. Takes more to work the glass but if you are worried about resource usage it takes more to recycle aluminum than glass. And glass is also hugely available.

Iirc from school.

They don't use chemicals, the cans are shredded, impurities are removed, melted down into ingots, then hot rolled, cold rolled, and turned back into cans or other products.

Reactions: McDad and ajvol01
They don't use chemicals, the cans are shredded, impurities are removed, melted down into ingots, then hot rolled, cold rolled, and turned back into cans or other products.

back into food container products? My remembering was that that process left too many impurities to be used. I was thinking can to can. Not can to car door.

Idk, I could be wrong.

back into food container products? My remembering was that that process left too many impurities to be used. I was thinking can to can. Not can to car door.

Idk, I could be wrong.
The video says they use the recycled AL in the UK space program

I'm only 30, but my formative years were still pre-widespread internet so all of our time was outside, in the woods, and when I was at my best friend's house in a neighborhood we'd spend hours each day outside playing basketball or flashlight tag and walking to the 'Duck-In' for snacks.

I grew up with 5 over the air channels out of ATL. # Network, TBS, and one other. Tube TV with dial channel changer and pull on knob. When we finally got cable, it was 13 channels with a dial changer box that sat on top. The TV was off limits if chores weren't done. And dad had a heck of a garden to tend. And we watched Hee-Haw. The girls were hot, so it was OK.

They don't mention all the nasty waste created by the smelting process. Salt cake and dross, which emit ammonia gas to the atmosphere and can ignite when wet. Waste has to go to industrial landfills and is hard to manage.

I grew up with 5 over the air channels out of ATL. # Network, TBS, and one other. Tube TV with dial channel changer and pull on knob. When we finally got cable, it was 13 channels with a dial changer box that sat on top. The TV was off limits if chores weren't done. And dad had a heck of a garden to tend. And we watched Hee-Haw. The girls were hot, so it was OK.

Do you remember when Bill Tush used to read the "news" with his German Shepard on TBS back in the 70s?

Reactions: ArdentVol
Do you remember when Bill Tush used to read the "news" with his German Shepard on TBS back in the 70s?
I remember when we first got TBS and Skip Carey started calling them America’s team. I always thought that was kinda funny - they weren’t great back then, but had a few good players.

I'd have to dig deep to remember. Born in '65, so I wouldn't have been too aware of him till late 70's. I vaguely remember guys at school talking about him. Maybe I just didn't get into him then.

VN Store

Back