Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
No kids here but I do live in SC and I was just reading about this recently. May be unlikely but children can definitely contract COVID and have problems.

South Carolina child dies of COVID-19; state reports highest percent positive to date | WSAV-TV

July 12: DHEC reports first cases of MIS-C in children; 97 new cases of COVID-19 in Spartanburg County

Flu figures show 125 child deaths, record-high hospitalizations in young children

Also, since we want to throw links to stuff. We have vaccines for the flu and guess what.... children still die from it.

Hundreds of children die every single year due to the flu. To my knowledge the COVID rate is not that high and we don’t even have a vaccine for it.

Last edited:
had a helluva rant typed out. the thing about kids not getting covid is just dumb. i have three small kids, and the aforementioned mind set frankly pisses me off. Covid and MisC can and will kill kids, and frankly one death is too many.

thanks for the links.
Hey man, just wanna say I appreciate your last couple of comments. I’ve attempted to preach the same gospel, but Unfortunately no one here wants to hear anything about COVID other than “it’s liberal BS”. I don’t know how or why speaking on the danger of the virus has become viewed as an attack on the country or football season but folks somehow see it as that. Thank you for caring about the well being of others

Reactions: bparker
Holy crap! I’ve been out of the loop a few days, working on some things at home, but I just discovered tonight that Gillian Welch and Dave Rawlings released a new album a couple days ago!

It’s a raw collection of covers they recorded at home, half of which are one-takes (one even runs out of tape lol but at an interesting spot). They hit a couple Dylan songs, one of Prine’s, some traditional tunes, and Cash/Carter’s “Jackson”.

Those two can hardly do any wrong in my book, and this was a nice summer surprise.

Oh yeah, it’s called “All the Good Times”. Good stuff.

I wear masks occasionally, but I do have a question for other very serious mask wearers. How long would you wear masks for and social distance? Hypothetically, if covid was still rampant with no vaccine this time next year, would you be for herd immunity at that point? What about 5 years? 10?

Purely hypothetical
I’m staying home and wearing a mask when out until this Is solved. I miss going to bars, concerts and movies too, but I’m not risking killing my parents over it. And to answer your follow up, we won’t be dealing with this in 5-10 years. Hopefully y’all will swallow your baseless pride, start thinking about your neighbors, and get tired of being the laughing stock of the rest of the world. I want life back to normal so I do my part by washing my hands, staying home, and wearing a mask when I have to go outside. What about you

Anyone know where I can find a vol navy flag? I looked on vol shop, but couldn't find it. I found some on dhgate.. but I'd like to be able to support the university.

Didn't feel right not flying it on the new boat this past weekend .. lost my last one on my other boat.

Reactions: T Dog
I wear masks occasionally, but I do have a question for other very serious mask wearers. How long would you wear masks for and social distance? Hypothetically, if covid was still rampant with no vaccine this time next year, would you be for herd immunity at that point? What about 5 years? 10?

Purely hypothetical
Asian countries do it on the reg. If a useful vaccine never came up and antibodies are only good for a few months (cancelling out herd immunity), then yeah I'd definitely play it smart as long as need be. A 1 in 200 chance of dying...yeah no thanks. I've gambled a long time and know really bad beats will eventually hit. Given the downside is the worst possible thing, I'm avoiding with common sense. Like wearing my seat belt and not driving 100 all over town.

I'm enjoying life just fine. More nature, less elbow touching strangers. Win-win.

Reactions: SoilVol
I’m staying home and wearing a mask when out until this Is solved. I miss going to bars, concerts and movies too, but I’m not risking killing my parents over it. And to answer your follow up, we won’t be dealing with this in 5-10 years. Hopefully y’all will swallow your baseless pride, start thinking about your neighbors, and get tired of being the laughing stock of the rest of the world. I want life back to normal so I do my part by washing my hands, staying home, and wearing a mask when I have to go outside. What about you
In 5-10 years it will probably be some other superbug.

And the rest of the world has enough on their plate that I doubt they're laughing at us. That's a bit of an absurd statement.

I have to work, but my wife and daughter are staying at home. I do wear a mask when away from my desk at work of if anyone comes in. I also wear one pretty much everywhere else indoors away from home and outdoors if around any people.

We are not testing more than everyone else (by rate). We are ahead of many, but at 127,000/million tested, our testing rate is still behind some.

Our case rate, about 10k/million, is ahead of every sizeable country, minus Chile (pop of 17m).

For example, UK has a test rate about 40% higher than ours (176k/million) and yet they have 40% of the cases (4,200/million).
Some people will still argue that fact. It's like I said, arrogant people are going to be the ones spreading it.

Reactions: Wadetime

...hence the word hypothetical... You didn't answer the question

Reactions: Smokeytom
Flu figures show 125 child deaths, record-high hospitalizations in young children

Also, since we want to throw links to stuff. We have vaccines for the flu and guess what.... children still die from it.

Hundreds of children die every single year due to the flu. To my knowledge the COVID rate is not that high and we don’t even have a vaccine for it.

Your Covid argument is different, but a vast majority of child flu deaths are from unvaccinated kids. 80%. I don’t know that they keep the adult numbers, but I would guess it’s true in a majority of adults, too. That’s why the flu is different.

Reactions: barrylee

I was providing links to local articles I had just read on the topic you were discussing.

As I said, I don’t have kids so I don’t have a decision to make. Just sharing information.

We had every intention of sending our kids back also. But I've recently seen comments from my kids' previous teachers voicing their concern about going back. Now I'm questioning if I'm too busy focusing on what works best for my family without considering the others that will be affected. I place a high value on the social interaction aspect of in-person learning. I honestly don't know what we'll do. . .

This is exactly the way I feel.

Reactions: Kristy*
We had every intention of sending our kids back also. But I've recently seen comments from my kids' previous teachers voicing their concern about going back. Now I'm questioning if I'm too busy focusing on what works best for my family without considering the others that will be affected. I place a high value on the social interaction aspect of in-person learning. I honestly don't know what we'll do. . .
1EC1F0B4-4152-46DE-90AB-58FD7CFCCF1F.gif

Just found out that my wife’s aunt’s cousin died of COVID over the weekend. I only met her once, but she welcomed me into her home and fed me.

This is the second person I have a personal connection to that has passed from COVID in the past two months. Although neither of them were people I shared close relationships with, I’m tired of the semantics and politicization of the COVID debate. I can’t believe this even needs to be said, but it is real. Please take it seriously.

Just found out that my wife’s aunt’s cousin died of COVID over the weekend. I only met her once, but she welcomed me into her home and fed me.

This is the second person I have a personal connection to that has passed from COVID in the past two months. Although neither of them were people I shared close relationships with, I’m tired of the semantics and politicization of the COVID debate. I can’t believe this even needs to be said, but it is real. Please take it seriously.

Sorry for your loss. That sucks.

Last edited:

Sorry to hear that. Were there any preexisting conditions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back