Football Cancelled: Ivy League

Wear this when it becomes law:
myers78.png

I'm gonna go with this:

s-l300.jpg
Or wear this mask:D

C gimp.jpg

Reactions: Boca Vol
All fake news promoted by the Dems and CNN, I'm sure!
It would be cool to see the news conglomerates actually follow up on all of the athletes that test positive so we could see what their experiences were like and how quickly they recover or if they require hospitalization or not. Maybe take a poll of all athletes that test positive and ask their opinions if we should play, cancel fall sports, etc... I mean everyone is all for the athletes having a voice right now, I haven’t heard many athletes voices who have had Corona and what their opinions are.

Reactions: norrislakevol
If football is cancelled, it will be very interesting to see how the economics of college sports plays out. Stanford’s cancellation of teams is looking like the tip of the iceberg. All of these teams, to be fair to seniors, will have to expand rosters/scholarships. This can’t happen without football revenue and perhaps 20/21 basketball revenue. Government bailouts? We’re already 26 trillion in the hole on the federal level, so why not?
Why is Stanford cancelling men's and women's fencing, field hockey, lightweight rowing, men's rowing, co-ed and women's sailing, squash, synchronized swimming, men's volleyball and wrestling the tip of the iceberg?

Seriously, I don't get it. Tennessee doesn't field an athletic department supported team in a single one of those. And Stanford had been running a significant deficit in athletics for years. Those sports were likely doomed regardless

Wearing a mask has nothing to do with politics. However, It is a reflection of what people think of other people’s well being. For your sake, I hope your need to “trigger snowflakes” doesn’t lead to you or someone else being hospitalized.
PURE BS.

There are about 1.6 million people currently infected according to official numbers. According to the official estimates 35% are asymptomatic but I think it is more so let's just pretend all 1.6 million are asymptomatic... The ones who are supposedly spreading it unwittingly. Ten percent or less of those who come in close contact with the virus catch it. Only about 1% of those who contract it have severe symptoms

So you are asking that 995 healthy people wear a mask because 5 people MIGHT have and spread it to at worst 1 person out of 10 that they come into close contact with while infected and primarily while symptomatic. And this is the VERY worst case scenario AND assumes a level of mask effectiveness that STILL hasn't been studied or established. You are asking 99,500 people to wear masks even when they're healthy because 1 person might have a serious case. Where were you when 950,000 people were hospitalized for the flu two years ago?

This may surprise many but if you are in a relatively small space with return air HVAC and are wearing a mask thinking you are preventing Covid from spreading... you aren't. Masks supposedly protect others from droplets. It is most effective against heavy droplets but those fall out of the air pretty quickly anyway... unless you sneeze or cough on someone. Don't do that please. The particles that stay in the air are very small droplets and aerosol. They can and DO escape around the mask or even through it. With return air HVAC and no filtering, viral load is going to build in closed spaces with or without masks. Viral load is key in all this. It has to reach a point of overwhelming someone's immune defense. That's part of why the Chinese found no cases of outdoor transmission in a study of contact traces.

Wearing a mask in a well ventilated, large, open space warehouse type store like Walmart... is plain silly unless you are coughing, sneezing, or yelling in an employee's face.

UNLESS you are symptomatic your likelihood of spreading it to someone else is EXTREMELY low. If you have symptoms then stay home or wear a mask.

This has little to do with keeping others well and a LOT to do with "feeling" like something is being done. This is about fear... some may think they're allaying it. Others may be trying to perpetuate it. The most I've seen Fauci say in favor of masks is that he "feels good" when he sees people wearing them because it means they're taking it serious. That is NOT a good enough reason.

Everyone and their brother is getting tested now so of course cases are going up dramatically. That's why I don't put stock into the number of cases. What needs to be looked at are the number of deaths from COVID, which have fallen dramatically since April and May. You never hear or see that on the news because all they want to talk about are the number of TOTAL CASES as if everyone who has ever gotten COVID and recovered still have it. If they aren't showing the daily deaths dropping and only talk about the total number of cases since it began, they're intentionally being deceptive.
Coviddeathrate.png

It is truly a head-scratching phenomenon to me how East Tennessee seems to have more than its fair share of folks that know more about statistics and epidemiology than those who actually studied and work in both fields on a daily basis.
We're among a growing number of people who refuse to follow COVID 19 orders from the State and Federal Governments like nice little sheep

The only source of hope at this point is the fact that the case to death ratio continues to widen in America.
This...the numbers of cases are increasing. Those numbers are due to more testing available as well as the the activity increase among the younger population. Death rates of of positive test subjects have fallen 75% since the peak in April. The Median age of positive test in Florida has gone from 65 in March to 35 in June. I did a little number crunching based on Tennessee positive cases..... If you are 81+ and contract COVID-19, you have almost a 20% chance of dying. If you are 60 or younger and get it, you have a .0026% chance of death. Interestingly, not one single person in TN has died from COVID-19 between the ages of 11-20.

PURE BS.

There are about 1.6 million people currently infected according to official numbers. According to the official estimates 35% are asymptomatic but I think it is more so let's just pretend all 1.6 million are asymptomatic... The ones who are supposedly spreading it unwittingly. Ten percent or less of those who come in close contact with the virus catch it. Only about 1% of those who contract it have severe symptoms

So you are asking that 995 healthy people wear a mask because 5 people MIGHT have and spread it to at worst 1 person out of 10 that they come into close contact with while infected and primarily while symptomatic. And this is the VERY worst case scenario AND assumes a level of mask effectiveness that STILL hasn't been studied or established. You are asking 99,500 people to wear masks even when they're healthy because 1 person might have a serious case. Where were you when 950,000 people were hospitalized for the flu two years ago?

This may surprise many but if you are in a relatively small space with return air HVAC and are wearing a mask thinking you are preventing Covid from spreading... you aren't. Masks supposedly protect others from droplets. It is most effective against heavy droplets but those fall out of the air pretty quickly anyway... unless you sneeze or cough on someone. Don't do that please. The particles that stay in the air are very small droplets and aerosol. They can and DO escape around the mask or even through it. With return air HVAC and no filtering, viral load is going to build in closed spaces with or without masks. Viral load is key in all this. It has to reach a point of overwhelming someone's immune defense. That's part of why the Chinese found no cases of outdoor transmission in a study of contact traces.

Wearing a mask in a well ventilated, large, open space warehouse type store like Walmart... is plain silly unless you are coughing, sneezing, or yelling in an employee's face.

UNLESS you are symptomatic your likelihood of spreading it to someone else is EXTREMELY low. If you have symptoms then stay home or wear a mask.

This has little to do with keeping others well and a LOT to do with "feeling" like something is being done. This is about fear... some may think they're allaying it. Others may be trying to perpetuate it. The most I've seen Fauci say in favor of masks is that he "feels good" when he sees people wearing them because it means they're taking it serious. That is NOT a good enough reason.

You sir, are 100 percent correct. It may very well be years before our so called "experts" have a handle on this. Are we to continue to live scared if that is the case? Going to keep cancelling college sports??? Only the weak minded would agree with that.

Is it?

I say all that to say this... you are buying a false media narrative. When you step back in put this in any kind of realistic perspective... it is NOT as big of a problem as they're making it out to be and it is NOT "spreading like wild fire."

False media narrative, eh?

Cases:

cases-tx.jpg

cases-fl.jpg

cases-ca.jpg

Deaths:

texas.jpg

cal.jpg

az.jpg

So has anyone seen the recent news about Covid and the numbers? The common cold is caused by a variant of the corona virus so now even people with the common cold are being counted as Covid infections. And people don’t think there’s an agenda behind it.

So you choose anomalies to prove your point? And not surprisingly you leave out the graphs that undermine your point like the lack of a rise in deaths in FL and the dramatic national decrease in spite of a "spike" in cases.

And... you still ignore the simple fact that most people who are getting this either have no symptoms or symptoms no worse than the common flu. In fact, this is now VERY flu like in its impact. We are going to have fewer Covid cases than flu cases in an average year. You cannot compare "deaths" because CDC specifically acknowledges that is DOES NOT count flu deaths that are VERY carefully being counted for Covid... and you'd pretty much NEVER have a heart attack death reported as a flu death even if the person had flu when they died.

Hospitalizations however are tangible and counted the same way. About 950,000 people were hospitalized for the flu two years ago. CDC estimates that 60 million people had the flu that year. About a half million or so will be hospitalized in a typical year for the flu with 30 to 40 million getting sick... not just infected. Covid isn't going to come close to any of those numbers.

Absent the MASSIVELY inflated death numbers... this may not be as bad as the flu.

That is why it IS nothing but a false narrative. It has been stripped of context and sensationalized complete with doctored statistics.

Reactions: 84Volfan
So has anyone seen the recent news about Covid and the numbers? The common cold is caused by a variant of the corona virus so now even people with the common cold are being counted as Covid infections. And people don’t think there’s an agenda behind it.
I'm about as contrary to the dominant narrative as anyone you will find. I would need to see proof that Covid-19 is being conflated with other Coronaviruses.

You are correct in saying that Coronaviruses account for about 25% of common colds. The rest are caused by Rhinovirus.

Reactions: BigBadVol
BREAKING NEWS! The CDC issued a statement saying that although Cases are on the upside, DEATHS are on the Downside, and at this rate, Corona will soon no longer be classified an EPIDEMIC. You Libs can chew on that a while.

Reactions: Volfan76 and sjt18
Everyone and their brother is getting tested now so of course cases are going up dramatically. That's why I don't put stock into the number of cases. What needs to be looked at are the number of deaths from COVID, which have fallen dramatically since April and May. You never hear or see that on the news because all they want to talk about are the number of TOTAL CASES as if everyone who has ever gotten COVID and recovered still have it. If they aren't showing the daily deaths dropping and only talk about the total number of cases since it began, they're intentionally being deceptive.
View attachment 291676
Seems to me that ICU's in FL, AZ and TX aren't being maxed out due to a false narrative. I really don't understand the big deal about wearing a mask...doctors and experts say it helps to save lives, potentially your own. I tend to believe doctors over politicians and arm chair experts.

Problem with that logic is it's "moment in time"...just my opinion, but Northeast generally went thru the worst early, and therefore bigger death count. Think they're trying to prevent the trailing death count coming in states like FL, TX, AZ.

So you choose anomalies to prove your point? And not surprisingly you leave out the graphs that undermine your point like the lack of a rise in deaths in FL and the dramatic national decrease in spite of a "spike" in cases.

And... you still ignore the simple fact that most people who are getting this either have no symptoms or symptoms no worse than the common flu. In fact, this is now VERY flu like in its impact. We are going to have fewer Covid cases than flu cases in an average year. You cannot compare "deaths" because CDC specifically acknowledges that is DOES NOT count flu deaths that are VERY carefully being counted for Covid... and you'd pretty much NEVER have a heart attack death reported as a flu death even if the person had flu when they died.

Hospitalizations however are tangible and counted the same way. About 950,000 people were hospitalized for the flu two years ago. CDC estimates that 60 million people had the flu that year. About a half million or so will be hospitalized in a typical year for the flu with 30 to 40 million getting sick... not just infected. Covid isn't going to come close to any of those numbers.

Absent the MASSIVELY inflated death numbers... this may not be as bad as the flu.

That is why it IS nothing but a false narrative. It has been stripped of context and sensationalized complete with doctored statistics.

Those "anomalies" are hotspots. This is how viruses work.

You seriously have zero idea what you're spouting off.

Take your Trump BS, roll it nice and tightly, and smoke away!

Reactions: Dumbledorange
It would be cool to see the news conglomerates actually follow up on all of the athletes that test positive so we could see what their experiences were like and how quickly they recover or if they require hospitalization or not. Maybe take a poll of all athletes that test positive and ask their opinions if we should play, cancel fall sports, etc... I mean everyone is all for the athletes having a voice right now, I haven’t heard many athletes voices who have had Corona and what their opinions are.
Would you look at that an actual player weighing in on playing?

VN Store

Back