Football Cancelled: Ivy League

Why is Stanford cancelling men's and women's fencing, field hockey, lightweight rowing, men's rowing, co-ed and women's sailing, squash, synchronized swimming, men's volleyball and wrestling the tip of the iceberg?

Seriously, I don't get it. Tennessee doesn't field an athletic department supported team in a single one of those. And Stanford had been running a significant deficit in athletics for years. Those sports were likely doomed regardless

Stanford has won the Director's Cup, awarded to the university with the most combined athletic success, a staggering 25 years in a row. They take great pride in that fact. So, they do not take eliminating athletics programs lightly. I didn't verify your info about them running deficits, but I certainly believe you. In fact, very few university athletic departments are sitting on huge surpluses. Ohio State took in 205 million in revenue in a recent year, but had 203 million in expenses. Football and men's basketball are the two money-making sports that all of the money-leaching sports depend on. If universities cannot depend on the influx of media, ticket, and concession monies from football and basketball to fill their coffers, then the non-revenue generating sports are doomed. Going a year without football revenue and a year (plus the 2020 conference and NCAA tournament) of basketball revenue will likely finish off most of these sports. I doubt many of these schools have insurance that will protect them from the lost revenue (nor would it be easy to collect in a timely manner if they did). So, I believe that Stanford doing this, with their proud tradition of success in the non-revenue generating sports, represents the beginning of what we can expect if football and basketball are jeopardized by covid-19.

Reactions: Dumbledorange
Stanford has won the Director's Cup, awarded to the university with the most combined athletic success, a staggering 25 years in a row. They take great pride in that fact. So, they do not take eliminating athletics programs lightly. I didn't verify your info about them running deficits, but I certainly believe you. In fact, very few university athletic departments are sitting on huge surpluses. Ohio State took in 205 million in revenue in a recent year, but had 203 million in expenses. Football and men's basketball are the two money-making sports that all of the money-leaching sports depend on. If universities cannot depend on the influx of media, ticket, and concession monies from football and basketball to fill their coffers, then the non-revenue generating sports are doomed. Going a year without football revenue and a year (plus the 2020 conference and NCAA tournament) of basketball revenue will likely finish off most of these sports. I doubt many of these schools have insurance that will protect them from the lost revenue (nor would it be easy to collect in a timely manner if they did). So, I believe that Stanford doing this, with their proud tradition of success in the non-revenue generating sports, represents the beginning of what we can expect if football and basketball are jeopardized by covid-19.

There may be "business continuity insurance" which might kick-in in case of a terrorist attack on a stadium crowd or some, non-God caused act, that is a one in a billion. No one could have foreseen the needs that collegiate sports face today and if they did, the insurance would be so abhorrently expensive to make is unattainable and 2) the insurance companies would cringe to have to offer it in the first place.

Most if not all the Ivy League schools do not provide athletic scholarships for football. So the impact is no where close to the same as other schools, especially P5s.

BREAKING NEWS! The CDC issued a statement saying that although Cases are on the upside, DEATHS are on the Downside, and at this rate, Corona will soon no longer be classified an EPIDEMIC. You Libs can chew on that a while.

A couple of weeks ago an a report came out from Italy that the virus was weakening. I took a "wait and see" since it could have been false or else an anomaly. Now there has been research at Pitt and in NY indicating that the virus is mutating and weakening.

Things could always reverse but they appear to be trending in EXACTLY the way we would want them to.

The panic over "cases" is the most ridiculous of all. Non-fatal and cases that do not cause permanent damage are NOT something we should be concerned about AT ALL. Forty or 50 million people get the flu each year. About a half million will be hospitalized for the flu each year. If that did not create panic in the flock... then this shouldn't either.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
This reminds me of when the Mexican Air Force officially reported seeing a UFO. This report shocked everyone and we asked, "Mexico has an Air Force?"

A couple of weeks ago an a report came out from Italy that the virus was weakening. I took a "wait and see" since it could have been false or else an anomaly. Now there has been research at Pitt and in NY indicating that the virus is mutating and weakening.

Things could always reverse but they appear to be trending in EXACTLY the way we would want them to.

The panic over "cases" is the most ridiculous of all. Non-fatal and cases that do not cause permanent damage are NOT something we should be concerned about AT ALL. Forty or 50 million people get the flu each year. About a half million will be hospitalized for the flu each year. If that did not create panic in the flock... then this shouldn't either.

Which tells us that SOMEONE has an agenda with this Coronavirus. Lock us down, ruin the economy, and Make the ONLY remedy Their unproven RNA Vaccine. (search that reliable mess) And obviously they have total control of the Media Narrative; (Propaganda not unlike the Old USSR) This thing Stinks and has Stunk since the beginning; when CHINA'S WHO lied about the Origin.

And yet COVID is reported to be disproportionately more lethal to black Americans. So one has to ponder, do black lives really matter to these pandering politicos?

The answer is NO! Blm is a Marxist Organization Funded and Controlled by A White Terrorist; (and George Soros) who shot and killed a Georgia State Trooper in the 70's and was serving a 53 year sentence--- (Only to be pardoned by Bill Clinton on his LAST DAY in office) Blacks are simply Pawns in this "Movement".

Problem with that logic is it's "moment in time"...just my opinion, but Northeast generally went thru the worst early, and therefore bigger death count. Think they're trying to prevent the trailing death count coming in states like FL, TX, AZ.

\Democrat Led States where the GOVERNORS forced Nursing Homes to admit people who had tested positive. Nursing homes account for 40% of Deaths. Not hard to understand; IF you are willing. Agenda.

California governor Newsome is set in the next few days to release somewhere between 8000 to 10,000 people incarcerated in their state penal system due to the coronavirus. He also in another press release has proposed jailing people who attend church and have the temerity to sing which he has banned.

No dichotomy there right? Rapist and robbers released from the penitentiary early due to the virus while at the same time caught singing in church gets you sent to the jailhouse due to the virus.

If you can't smell what that and other axx clowns have cooking regarding this virus and the political games they're playing you have lost one of your five senses, not to mention any critical thinking skills you picked up along the way.

Reactions: JohnWardForever
California governor Newsome is set in the next few days to release somewhere between 8000 to 10,000 people incarcerated in their state penal system due to the coronavirus. He also in another press release has proposed jailing people who attend church and have the temerity to sing which he has banned.

No dichotomy there right? Rapist and robbers released from the penitentiary early due to the virus while at the same time caught singing in church gets you sent to the jailhouse due to the virus.

If you can't smell what that and other axx clowns have cooking regarding this virus and the political games they're playing you have lost one of your five senses, not to mention any critical thinking skills you picked up along the way.

CAREFUL!! The truth is frowned on in here!! SCORNED; even.

VN Store

Back