Football Cancelled: Ivy League

I'll honestly be shocked if we have CFB this fall. COVID is spreading too fast and time is running out. Gonna be a extra long offseason. I hope I'm wrong but it is what it is
wonder what the 'Vegas odds are on the college season starting? It seems the more the media reports spreads, infection rates etc., the more the concern about starting the season among college "officials",
I realize the practice season starts in a few weeks, so it will be interesting to see what decisions will be made. Finebaum said several weeks ago it would be "catastrophic" if the college football season was cancelled,
billions of $ lost, etc.

Reactions: dduncan4163
Will schools from the Big 10 have the next announcement of no football?
I live here in the middle of Big 10 country. Still not a lot of noise but I’m afraid it’s coming. Northwestern and Wisconsin were supposed to play at Wrigley Field (NW “home” game) in November and they just moved it to Evanston because of virus fears.

I saw earlier this morning that one team had 37 players test positive and they’ve suspended workouts as a result

Just to give this some perspective.

Enrollment by conference:

Big 10-607,980
SEC-467,108
PAC 12-449,623
ACC-366,062
Conf USA-347,012
Big 12-283,197
Mountain West-229,080
Mid America-226,907
Big Sky-205,172
Ivy-150,739
Southland-136,775
OVC-120,043

Last edited:
Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Hey Behr. What is the rule/law in SW FL?

In Sarasota County you must wear a mask. Next door in Manatee County (Bradenton) you don't. Personally, I don't like them but that's mainly because I wear glasses. and they fall off.
I'm unaware of rule or law requiring a mask. I've yet to experience a requirement to wear one. I wear my crocheted one with 1/2" holes everywhere including alone in my truck hoping to trigger the snowflakes that lose their minds because I'm not doing what they think I should be doing.

I’m still optimistic that it will happen. This really doesn’t affect many Power 5 schools at all. There may be a hole in a schedule but those can easily and quickly be filled with alternates.
I was optimistic but it appears fear is settling back in and it’s just a matter of time before the smaller FBS schools make the same decision. That’ll cause way more scheduling issues and put pressure on the P5 schools to follow suit. My optimism regarding is having a football season is pretty much gone, at least for the Fall. Maybe they try to do something in the Spring. Just make all the players wear masks. Apparently they are the end all be all when it comes to safety.

If football is cancelled, it will be very interesting to see how the economics of college sports plays out. Stanford’s cancellation of teams is looking like the tip of the iceberg. All of these teams, to be fair to seniors, will have to expand rosters/scholarships. This can’t happen without football revenue and perhaps 20/21 basketball revenue. Government bailouts? We’re already 26 trillion in the hole on the federal level, so why not?

I'm unaware of rule or law requiring a mask. I've yet to experience a requirement to wear one. I wear my crocheted one with 1/2" holes everywhere including alone in my truck hoping to trigger the snowflakes that lose their minds because I'm not doing what they think I should be doing.

Wearing a mask has nothing to do with politics. However, It is a reflection of what people think of other people’s well being. For your sake, I hope your need to “trigger snowflakes” doesn’t lead to you or someone else being hospitalized.

I'll honestly be shocked if we have CFB this fall. COVID is spreading too fast and time is running out. Gonna be a extra long offseason. I hope I'm wrong but it is what it is
It's not about the virus spreading, its about hospital capacity. The death rate continues to decline along with hospitalization related to covid-19. Originally, it was "flatten the curve", which happened. Look at the average death age of those who have died from C-19. Protect the most vulnerable, the aged and those with preexisting conditions and lets get on with life.

Yep, hate to say but having football season looks slim. Virus is spreading like wild fire.
Is it?

I suspect there have been and are A LOT of asymptomatic and mildly symptomatic cases that are not counted in the reported total. Either way, around 60 million people had the flu two years ago with 950,000 hospitalizations. While 60,000-80,000 people were reported by CDC to have died... this quote comes directly from the CDC website. The actual total flu deaths if we counted them like Covid deaths are being counted would have been well over 100,000 and probably close to 200,000.

From CDC
Under-Counting of Flu-Related Deaths
CDC does not know exactly how many people die from seasonal flu each year. There are several reasons for this:

• First, states are not required to report individual seasonal flu cases or deaths of people older than 18 years of age to CDC.
    • Second, seasonal influenza is infrequently listed on death certificates of people who die from flu-related complications.
    • Third, many seasonal flu-related deaths occur one or two weeks after a person’s initial infection, either because the person may develop a secondary bacterial co-infection (such as a staph infection) or because seasonal influenza can aggravate an existing chronic illness (such as congestive heart failure or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease).
    • Also, most people who die from seasonal flu-related complications are not tested for flu, or they seek medical care later in their illness when seasonal influenza can no longer be detected from respiratory samples. Influenza tests are most likely to detect influenza if performed soon after onset of illness.
    • For these reasons, many flu-related deaths may not be recorded on death certificates.
They use "models" primarily based on hospitalizations. Many flu related deaths of end of life patients (which constitute about 90% of Covid deaths) are simply listed as "natural causes".

So... Covid according to the "official" numbers will not likely infect 10 million people this year... about 40 million less than get the flu in a typical year. For over half those being infected with Covid, it is MUCH less of a problem than the flu. When you get the flu... you get sick. Over half those with Covid had mild or no symptoms. A very small minority have severe symptoms. For instance there are currently about 1.6 million active cases in the US... only 15,000 are "serious". For the rest it is very much like having the flu.

Again according to CDC, only 7% listed in the Covid death total died FROM Covid. For the rest, it was a factor along with an average of 2.5 other serious health conditions. You probably haven't heard this... but over 40% of those who die WITH Covid... also have P&I (pneumonia/influenza). The average age of a US Covid fatality is around 80. The vast majority have a lung or heart condition PLUS other health problems.

I say all that to say this... you are buying a false media narrative. When you step back in put this in any kind of realistic perspective... it is NOT as big of a problem as they're making it out to be and it is NOT "spreading like wild fire."

It's not about the virus spreading, its about hospital capacity. The death rate continues to decline along with hospitalization related to covid-19. Originally, it was "flatten the curve", which happened. Look at the average death age of those who have died from C-19. Protect the most vulnerable, the aged and those with preexisting conditions and lets get on with life.

Exactly. Couldn't have been expressed better. Young people are not affected by this "virus" . MORE Young people and Children die from the FLU; and we didn't close up the schools or discontinue sports EVER because of the flu. And, the overall death rate for this year is LESS than the last 5 years at this point on the Calendar. But let's not allow Facts to enter in the discussion. This "Pandemic" has been well orchestrated for some purpose, that which remains to be seen.

Reactions: TCNC53
You can believe the narrative... but put in any kind of realistic perspective... that just isn't true.

Reactions: TCNC53
I think the covid-19 virus is bigger than a half-inch, so you're good, buddy. You're good.

Reactions: Behr
Wear this when it becomes law:
myers78.png

I'm gonna go with this:

s-l300.jpg

Reactions: Boca Vol and Behr
Wearing a mask has nothing to do with politics. However, It is a reflection of what people think of other people’s well being. For your sake, I hope your need to “trigger snowflakes” doesn’t lead to you or someone else being hospitalized.
No matter what I do, someone is going to tell me I'm doing something wrong, which was part of my point.

Reactions: Boca Vol
Let's work this logic out....

Neyland holds 100,000 fans. On the Diamond Princess, a population with an average age of about 60 was in close contact with each other for more than a week while the virus spread. Less than 20% of those on board contracted the virus. Statistically out of that 100K group 500 might be Covid positive but if those with symptoms stay home... you can reduce that number further. So at a 3 hour, outdoor event attended by fans with a MUCH lower age and healthier immune systems... your risks of infection are LOW... probably less than your chances of getting a nasty case of the flu while attending a game.

A Chinese study of contact traces could not find ANY evidence of outdoor transmission. Daylight appears to kill Covid-19 in a matter of seconds. This level of "caution" goes WAY beyond reasonable.

This is the most insane time in history! We are shutting down the world for a virus that has a survival rate of 99.5% Are we going to cancel everything going forward for the flu? I feel like I am in the twilight zone!

Reactions: VFL_JB and DixieVol

VN Store

Back