Log Home Living

malinoisvol

Pick up your Balls and Rattle your Cannons!
Anybody own a log home? We are just getting started researching log home cost and livability and haven't even scratched the surface yet.

I'd love to hear your thoughts as a log home owner.
Is it worth it? Problems? What would you have done differently? Regrets?

TIA

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Anybody own a log home? We are just getting started researching log home cost and livability and haven't even scratched the surface yet.

I'd love to hear your thoughts as a log home owner.
Is it worth it? Problems? What would you have done differently? Regrets?

TIA

Looked at it, rented one for a couple of months. Too much exterior maintenance for my taste, pests (wood-burrowing) can be an issue, UV ray damage, insurance ran higher, squirrels, woodpeckers...no thank you.

Reactions: malinoisvol
Looked at it, rented one for a couple of months. Too much exterior maintenance for my taste, pests (wood-burrowing) can be an issue, UV ray damage, insurance ran higher, squirrels, woodpeckers...no thank you.
Those danged bees, squirrels, and wood peckers would be an issue here. Didn't know that about the insurance.

Was it harder to heat/cool than conventional construction?

I too am looking to build a cabin to retire at some point talking to builders etc right now hope to break ground in a couple of years at the latest would love to hear all input from VN. I'm liking a plan that Stonemill out of Knoxville has right now.

I would just warn you guys to make sure you guys hire someone who has actually done a log cabin before. Anyone who has done residential construction "can" do a log cabin. But there are enough unique conditions that comes from that construction type to be an issue for the typical contractor.

I would be sure to talk with whoever is doing the inspection as well.

Also know that future interior maintenance is going to be a bit different as well. Pretty much everything gets routed a little bit different in a log cabin, and that renovations will similarly be effected. Basically you are cutting a solid piece of wood everytime you run an electrical conduit vs gyp. So more things will run thru the floor or ceiling.

Those danged bees, squirrels, and wood peckers would be an issue here. Didn't know that about the insurance.

Was it harder to heat/cool than conventional construction?

This is tricky. Wood takes on heat and releases it into the interior if you are in a sunny climate, this isn't a good thing. So many insulate the interior with drywall, etc. to control. But log homes are primarily designed for colder climates so this can be a plus. Passive solar radiation as heat can be a positive of you get the right layout (facing the appropriate direction)

Visited a log cabin show or a show that had a lot of log cabins, dunno, but the build quality really varies according to the owners who were happy to talk about their screw-ups and successes.

I enjoyed the drill-down on the details, the investigation and the study. Other mebbe not so much. Make sure whoever you choose that they air dry and season the timbers before construction to assure a snug fit.

I too am looking to build a cabin to retire at some point talking to builders etc right now hope to break ground in a couple of years at the latest would love to hear all input from VN. I'm liking a plan that Stonemill out of Knoxville has right now.

This makes sense. Get a solid GC, buy locally so all problems can be fixed locally. StoneMill Log & Timber Homes - National Log Home Builder I remember them as good guys, we were looking to build outside of Gatlinburg.

Agree with the comments about exterior maintenance and issues. We were looking at going the log cabin route but that and relative construction costs discouraged us enough to look at other options.
Since the main attraction for us is the wood interior, we are looking at timber frame construction instead.
Anyone have any experience with timber frame construction?

I have looked at Stonemill's website. I need to do a deeper dig on them. Barna scared the hell out of me reading their reviews. Lol
I like eLog's floor plans, however, I think they are connected to Barna and aren't local. I absolutely agree with @Dumbledorange about needing the company to be local.
I registered with Honest Abe's today so I could view their full website. Interesting.

I know a local GC that specializes in log home construction. He also travels around as a troubleshooter and fixer of bad builds. I have yet to discuss with him my ideas. So I don't feel I'm wasting his time, I will wait until I am a hard lean towards the log home adventure.

This is tricky. Wood takes on heat and releases it into the interior if you are in a sunny climate, this isn't a good thing. So many insulate the interior with drywall, etc. to control. But log homes are primarily designed for colder climates so this can be a plus. Passive solar radiation as heat can be a positive of you get the right layout (facing the appropriate direction)

Visited a log cabin show or a show that had a lot of log cabins, dunno, but the build quality really varies according to the owners who were happy to talk about their screw-ups and successes.

I enjoyed the drill-down on the details, the investigation and the study. Other mebbe not so much. Make sure whoever you choose that they air dry and season the timbers before construction to assure a snug fit.
Absolutely correct!

Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

Reactions: Dumbledorange
I know a local GC that specializes in log home construction. He also travels around as a troubleshooter and fixer of bad builds. I have yet to discuss with him my ideas. So I don't feel I'm wasting his time, I will wait until I am a hard lean towards the log home adventure.

A good GC will be thankful that you included him early on. Even if you bid the project. More info = great info. Just tell him/them the truth. "I am 'here' on this project, let's talk".

Log construction, including post/beam, are projects. One of the serious considerations is what your local building code depts/construction oversight authorities have already approved. If they knowing the log supplier/vendor, that can be a huge plus.

Agree with the comments about exterior maintenance and issues. We were looking at going the log cabin route but that and relative construction costs discouraged us enough to look at other options.
Since the main attraction for us is the wood interior, we are looking at timber frame construction instead.
Anyone have any experience with timber frame construction?

I had a neighbor that built post-beam (tframe), he went to school and got hands on cutting and shaping framing timbers. There are online courses that do a great job of explaining the basics. Here's one. Link

TF usually deals with large, open spaces, you have to come to terms how you deal with that.

Im going to quote a forum contributor and this sums up TF.

"...cutting joints requires skill and takes time. Whatever benefits you gain from having fewer pieces of wood, you lose because they are all heavier, and need to have complicated joints cut into them. Also because joints require the removal of wood so two pieces fit together, joints are the weakest part of a structure in timber frame. Another thing is timber frame is not standard construction, and requires a structural engineer to design it. "

All is true and is part of the learning process if you select any non-standard (not sticks n bricks) construction.

I love TF. Dropped my project; if I had continued, I would have focused on finding a GC first, one that has TF experience. Years of it.

If you can locate the land you want to build on, you can get very precise pre-construction numbers including site prep. You can order up soil evaluations, etc - ask your GCs to reference (engineers, etc.). Point being, if you can point to a lot, or even an area, there may be a lot of historical data via permits and other sources.

If you are talking to GCs, maybe you have an area or lot you like? Do you have it under contract?

If you can locate the land you want to build on, you can get very precise pre-construction numbers including site prep. You can order up soil evaluations, etc - ask your GCs to reference (engineers, etc.). Point being, if you can point to a lot, or even an area, there may be a lot of historical data via permits and other sources.

If you are talking to GCs, maybe you have an area or lot you like? Do you have it under contract?
There are at least two log cabin contractors off I26 in Asheville with model
homes. Sevierville also seems like a place that would have several of these guys.

Prob start there.

I had a neighbor that built post-beam (tframe), he went to school and got hands on cutting and shaping framing timbers. There are online courses that do a great job of explaining the basics. Here's one. Link

TF usually deals with large, open spaces, you have to come to terms how you deal with that.

Im going to quote a forum contributor and this sums up TF.

"...cutting joints requires skill and takes time. Whatever benefits you gain from having fewer pieces of wood, you lose because they are all heavier, and need to have complicated joints cut into them. Also because joints require the removal of wood so two pieces fit together, joints are the weakest part of a structure in timber frame. Another thing is timber frame is not standard construction, and requires a structural engineer to design it. "

All is true and is part of the learning process if you select any non-standard (not sticks n bricks) construction.

I love TF. Dropped my project; if I had continued, I would have focused on finding a GC first, one that has TF experience. Years of it.

great feedback....thx

I already own the lot. I have talked to one GC but he quoted me really high and also said he would have to remove every tree that could possibly fall on the home because of Sevier Co. codes? I need to find out more about that as I would like to keep some of the big trees.

I already own the lot. I have talked to one GC but he quoted me really high and also said he would have to remove every tree that could possibly fall on the home because of Sevier Co. codes? I need to find out more about that as I would like to keep some of the big trees.

That's a new one, codes that require tree razing? Link To Codes Pages

Call down there, don't mention the specific GC, ask them. Regardless, have GCs split open their bids, not that you will hire a GC for this, then another for that, as much as to compare. If the comparisons for say, site work and prep, are widely different, then something is amiss.

Do you have a specific set of blueprints (not blue these days lol) to work from?

There are at least two log cabin contractors off I26 in Asheville with model
homes. Sevierville also seems like a place that would have several of these guys.

Prob start there.

Yeah and don't be afraid of asking for comparisons, each contractors may have a specific system that he uses or have specific carpentry and framing skills too. They know each other well and should have good answers for why their product is best suited for your project.

That's a new one, codes that require tree razing? Link To Codes Pages

Call down there, don't mention the specific GC, ask them. Regardless, have GCs split open their bids, not that you will hire a GC for this, then another for that, as much as to compare. If the comparisons for say, site work and prep, are widely different, then something is amiss.

Do you have a specific set of blueprints (not blue these days lol) to work from?
RIght now this one is speaking to me

thistlewood-log-home-side-opt-362x208.jpg

I have a fairly level lot, about an acre.thistlewood-main-1092x750.pngthistlewood-second-floor-109xx750.png

two buddies of mine got an acre of land in Driggs ID in '01 for $10G. An acre in JH went for 1Mill back then. Wonder how much that is worth meow?
Depends, Driggs was on the other side of the mountain, wasn't any development last I was there.

Reactions: Jackcrevol
bignewt

Really nice. I wonder if you can have the fireplace a "two way" so that it can have an opening to the interior.

Your masonry choices may be limited to the stone and/or brick that is locally available. Expensive to haul in. May be a great and plentiful supply but it will help you in choosing your exterior colors and costs.

If your lot is flat, you can go with concrete slab foundation, you will have this in your garage for sure. If you want wood interior floors, check the living area foundations to see if they are conventional (up on concrete blocks with wood support flooring) or slab. Not that one or the other is better, it's just that slab is (generally) cheaper, less labor intensive, but this is geo-locally dependent on a number of conditions.

Watch your house/lot positioning as it relates to the sun. Clear span glass let's in an enormous amount of light/heat, can be good or bad. You have nice A-framish overhangs, try to use them as best you can. Pay for the best windows you can find, UV blocking, double-pane, etc.

Mud rooms and "I gotta pee" garage attached bathrooms, we dumped those and saved quite a bit. Same exterior wall for garage and LR, for instance.

Nice plan. Play with it.

VN Store

Back