Log Home Living

The maintenance on real log homes is brutal.
I actually looked at carpenter bee damage on a home in Dunaway farms today. We will be replacing all the facia with fiber cement boards. This home was stained and rechinked about 5 years ago. It was 20k. It’s about 5 years before it will have to be done again.
They are beautiful homes but the most expensive and high maintenance way to live.

Reactions: malinoisvol
Have friend N Coffee Co. TN. that are building same.. A few acres.....parking for the "Huge RV"..n other toys. They will live on top n other "enjoyables" will B below...
Makes perfect sense to me!!

Metal and spray foam. I see your low maintenance and energy efficiency and raise you a better construction cost.
I have a neighbor who had a preformed concrete home built. They crane in large sections for exterior walls. Having seen go up and walking through post construction it was quite impressive. Costs were not much different than traditional stick built. His home seems nearly indestructible.

I have a neighbor who had a preformed concrete home built. They crane in large sections for exterior walls. Having seen go up and walking through post construction it was quite impressive. Costs were not much different than traditional stick built. His home seems nearly indestructible.

I do like the preform concrete homes.
The cost of a metal building built to Dade standards (the toughest code standard in the world) is approximately 70% of stick building.

Last edited:
6F85CE76-8A56-4803-AF16-78BB005E4DE4.jpeghere is the basic shell before you add alterations. like 6/12 pitch on the roof. It’s bolted together and then welded up. Welding is optional but I cannot imagine why you would not do that. It can be sided with metal fro a commercial look or traditional siding. Once finished it looks just like any othe house unless you want a more industrial look.

View attachment 291621here is the basic shell before you add alterations. like 6/12 pitch on the roof. It’s bolted together and then welded up. Welding is optional but I cannot imagine why you would not do that. It can be sided with metal fro a commercial look or traditional siding. Once finished it looks just like any othe house unless you want a more industrial look.
Have you built anything with it? Or plan to?

Stagecoach?

I rented a room above a garage in a very nice house. It was a studio apartment with a slanted roof so you had to duck down 3/4 of the way across. No shower only a bath. Of course I could see the Tetons from my window but that was the only apartment for rent in Jackson Hole, housing is a real problem there.

I rented a room above a garage in a very nice house. It was a studio apartment with a slanted roof so you had to duck down 3/4 of the way across. No shower only a bath. Of course I could see the Tetons from my window but that was the only apartment for rent in Jackson Hole, housing is a real problem there.
No i mean did you frequent the Stagecoach?

Agreed, housing is an issue. I would think most people either have jobs who offer places? Or, are so ****ing loaded mommy and diddy foot the bill.

No i mean did you frequent the Stagecoach?

Agreed, housing is an issue. I would think most people either have jobs who offer places? Or, are so ****ing loaded mommy and diddy foot the bill.

Oh yeah I frequented all the bars, wasn't much else to do when you weren't working. I saw Maceo Parker play at the resort, that was a great show. There was a small bar in Wilson all the big time snowboarders hung out at I drank there a lot.

Reactions: Jackcrevol
Oh yeah I frequented all the bars, wasn't much else to do when you weren't working. I saw Maceo Parker play at the resort, that was a great show. There was a small bar in Wilson all the big time snowboarders hung out at I drank there a lot.
I lived in Lake Yellowstone. Got in habit of eating breakfast. To this day, my kids are spoiled. Eggs, thick cut bacon, toast, fresh fruit.

Here's four words for you.

Nora's Fish Creek Inn! (mic drop)

Edit: (pics mic back up)....sitting here going down memory lane has me missing WY badly. Ive promised my kids i would show them the Parks when they're old enough

Last edited:
So you're going with mild steel and not siding?
That and they have to get too it to shoot it.
2x6 steel studs with zip skin outside under siding and osb under Sheetrock inside all glued and screwed. It will survive a direct hit from an F5 all cheaper than stick building

That's a new one, codes that require tree razing? Link To Codes Pages

Call down there, don't mention the specific GC, ask them. Regardless, have GCs split open their bids, not that you will hire a GC for this, then another for that, as much as to compare. If the comparisons for say, site work and prep, are widely different, then something is amiss.

Do you have a specific set of blueprints (not blue these days lol) to work from?

Just a follow up, talked to another builder in Gatlinburg, Southland Homes, and he said that he has heard nothing about that tree clearing code. Guess the other dude was just trying to charge more for clearing.

VN Store

Back