2022 Recruits

I would like to sign the 3 best players that want to come here.
Here are a couple of geographically close possibilities:
Ashlyn Watkins, 6'3" post.
Unfortunately, she's from South Carolina. I don't know how feasible it will be to get, home grown, top 20 players away from Dawn.
Sydney Bowles, 6'1" wing.
A do it all wing from Georgia.
Of course, I would be thrilled if we could sign Betts, Barker or Gardiner. I just don't know how we stand with those players.
as I’ve said... rankings of this class are still from freshman year and they change drastically by junior year. Especially on ESPN.

Its seems like we barely have any room for the 2022 class since the 2021 class is taking up alot of room especially if we have a 4 player class. The roster of 2022-2023 could look like Tamari,Jordan,Emily,Jessie,Destiny,Tess,Marta,Karoline,Kaiya,Sara,possibly someone else,
which leaves 4 open scholarships but CKH has said she likes to have a 13 player roster but her past season indicate she really only signs 12 players, So that leaves really 2 scholarships for the 2022 class so who could we take? what are our needs? especially since after we sign these two 2022 recruits our 4 player 2019 class will graduate after the season.

When Kelley came in ..... she was way behind!
Keeping the incoming class was the first priority. And she did well (suspecting defections ) , which proved to be accurate!
After seeing the needs she brought in a local transfer (McCoy) , and offered Rennie pretty much on advice from (Who ?) I don’t know ....

Then finding a 2020 class (coming from behind ) would be almost impossible! But she still found talented ( multiple position players )
Tess , and Destiny and then got another foreign player (Marta ). I think this class was more about bodies than anything else ? JMO

2021 will be the first reeeaaalll class with 100% effort and no what if problems. Three really nice players and rated above average ( not top ten ) but they all have multiple skills and can play multiple positions ! Which is showing a pattern and hopefully a winning plan !
As for the crowding going into 2022..... She may be forced to recruit out of her normal 12 or 13 team players because of what happened in her first three years ? 1. Late on recruiting, 2. Defections , 3. Needing bodies , etc. I am a firm believer in getting a bird in the hand instead of waiting for the two in the Bush ! Winning will correct most problems in the future. I like what the coaches have done and for the first time in many years , I am looking forward to watching Lady Vol Basketball again!

Keeping the incoming class was the first priority. And she did well (suspecting defections ) , which proved to be accurate!
After seeing the needs she brought in a local transfer (McCoy) , and offered Rennie pretty much on advice from (Who ?) I don’t know ....

Then finding a 2020 class (coming from behind ) would be almost impossible! But she still found talented ( multiple position players )
Tess , and Destiny and then got another foreign player (Marta ). I think this class was more about bodies than anything else ? JMO

2021 will be the first reeeaaalll class with 100% effort and no what if problems. Three really nice players and rated above average ( not top ten ) but they all have multiple skills and can play multiple positions ! Which is showing a pattern and hopefully a winning plan !
As for the crowding going into 2022..... She may be forced to recruit out of her normal 12 or 13 team players because of what happened in her first three years ? 1. Late on recruiting, 2. Defections , 3. Needing bodies , etc. I am a firm believer in getting a bird in the hand instead of waiting for the two in the Bush ! Winning will correct most problems in the future. I like what the coaches have done and for the first time in many years , I am looking forward to watching Lady Vol Basketball again!
NEW ERA OF LADY VOL BASKETBALL!!!!

JMO (based on what I've read), recruiting is as much about building relationships as anything. It's one thing to talk the talk and walk the walk and another to do so from a position that has earned the trust of the recruit. Relationship building takes time and you're right, Kellie started from behind and didn't have any face time with the target recruits. The players that everyone wants need to know (and be good with) the coach they are going to play for. How can one expect less? While the program sells itself, coaching does not (anymore apparently) and players need to feel comfortable with their decision.

I don't pretend to know what todays high school female athlete thinks but it is not surprising they do the unexpected. In recruiting, we should probably get used to not getting everything we want.

Over the short time she has been here, Kellie has done a fine job managing the team through some tough times. She is going to get better because she will have had more time to build those relationships.

Karly Weathers needs to be a part of the class if at all possible. Makes everyone better. Karly is the epitome of what a basketball player is supposed to be.

This 2022 recruit is a in state player ! We have lost a few ranked local gals lately . Kentucky might as well be the university of Chattanooga, with three players from that area . Karly is also familiar with Puckett and Strictlin from playing AAU ball together. She will be coming in when Jordan is a senior which will allow her time to adjust to college ball ! This would let the AAU teammates 3 years to play together again ! I hope it works out ? I am sure Kelly and coaches are building a relationship with this player . JMO

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
This 2022 recruit is a in state player ! We have lost a few ranked local gals lately . Kentucky might as well be the university of Chattanooga, with three players from that area . Karly is also familiar with Puckett and Strictlin from playing AAU ball together. She will be coming in when Jordan is a senior which will allow her time to adjust to college ball ! This would let the AAU teammates 3 years to play together again ! I hope it works out ? I am sure Kelly and coaches are building a relationship with this player . JMO
what position does Karly Play?

Karly Weathers needs to be a part of the class if at all possible. Makes everyone better. Karly is the epitome of what a basketball player is supposed to be.

I had heard so much about Weathers that I looked her up, and when I did I said “Coach can’t let her leave Tennessee.” She’s a team player. I would love to see her play with Jordan, I think they would complement each other well. And she can shoot. Not to mention she’s familiar with Puckett and Striplin. Like stated above Kellie was late to the party last season and recruiting is about relationships. Coach has done a fine job in the personnel dept considering everything. I would love to get a three player class in 2022, I like our chances and this looks like a talented class. We shall see.

In the upcoming Class, she has some helpful pieces. No doubt. But, she has to land an elite player or two soon or risk settling into a respectable SEC team mode but not nationally relevant like TN was for so long. Typically there is a window of time when new coaches of a down, but previously elite programs, can sell where they are headed to the elite players. Every year that gets tougher imo. Pruitt is a solid example of that approach. The first full year, even Jones did that and it paid off in spite of ahem ... coaching challenges that led to a fall off later. DS at SC WBB did that.

In the upcoming Class, she has some helpful pieces. No doubt. But, she has to land an elite player or two soon or risk settling into a respectable SEC team mode but not nationally relevant like TN was for so long. Typically there is a window of time when new coaches of a down, but previously elite programs, can sell where they are headed to the elite players. Every year that gets tougher imo. Pruitt is a solid example of that approach. The first full year, even Jones did that and it paid off in spite of ahem ... coaching challenges that led to a fall off later. DS at SC WBB did that.

Maybe, maybe not. It didn't hurt Holly. She still got Jordan, who was #2 in her class, and that was coming off a complete stinker of a year. There are still some recruits who think highly enough of Tennessee's past that the present doesn't concern them so much.

Maybe, maybe not. It didn't hurt Holly. She still got Jordan, who was #2 in her class, and that was coming off a complete stinker of a year. There are still some recruits who think highly enough of Tennessee's past that the present doesn't concern them so much.

I would argue she recruited some elite kids throughout. HW had other issues. But, you are making part of my point. The more years that pass, the less known the TN history is to recruits. If you are suggesting we do not need to add elite kids to win championships, that is low probability. Give me a top five player every other year and it’s fine to add all the 15-60 contributors you want.

Reactions: volnationnj
In her division in HS basketball does she get good competition? I know her AAU team gets good competition ... just don’t know how she blends with that talented group.
It’s single A basketball... so highly unlikely on a regular basis. But from what I can tell, they try to schedule more competitive teams outside of their conference play like playing Sara Pucketts Muscle Shoals team early last season. But single A is single A so she is destined to face many teams who can barely dribble

Reactions: VA_VOLFAN
It’s single A basketball... so highly unlikely on a regular basis. But from what I can tell, they try to schedule more competitive teams outside of their conference play like playing Sara Pucketts Muscle Shoals team early last season. But single A is single A so she is destined to face many teams who can barely dribble

Teams that can barely dribble? Seems harsh if not misinformed. Loretto and Greenfield last year could've run with most teams in the state. Karly is good and she's proves it on the AAU circuit. If you dismiss her at all or are hesitant because she plays single A, you're badly mistaken.

Teams that can barely dribble? Seems harsh if not misinformed. Loretto and Greenfield last year could've run with most teams in the state. Karly is good and she's proves it on the AAU circuit. If you dismiss her at all or are hesitant because she plays single A, you're badly mistaken.
No I wasn’t dismissing her. I was dismissing single A. Yes. It can be that bad. The top teams who make it to state in single A are very good and can hold their own against pretty much anyone, but outside of that it’s a world of difference from 2A and esp 3A (not to mention the top of 3A)

Yes there is bad at every level but when your asking about consistent competition it’s hard to say yes when many of these school rarely send girls to any level college. Where there are many schools in 3A that send all 5 starters D1 or D2 year after year

In her division in HS basketball does she get good competition? I know her AAU team gets good competition ... just don’t know how she blends with that talented group.
7F8F6F8C-B9DB-49D4-A7B0-E464CBCC9DF2.jpegThese are some of Lorrettos scores from last year.... 20-70 point wins. Yes, barely dribble, and yes a good game every now and then. The last 3-4 games were a playoff games they won 20-65 point wins (sounds like good competition to me). Just go to coacht.com and check

Edit: just look at the district scores I mean come on it’s like a 40 point average victory @LorettoVolfan

View attachment 288609These are some of Lorrettos scores from last year.... 20-70 point wins. Yes, barely dribble, and yes a good game every now and then. The last 3-4 games were a playoff games they won 20-65 point wins (sounds like good competition to me). Just go to coacht.com and check

Edit: just look at the district scores I mean come on it’s like a 40 point average victory @LorettoVolfan

Don't have to do that. I was at a majority of the games. LorettoVolfan? Get it? And we're not recruiting the Loretto team, we're recruiting Karly. We play just about anyone who thinks they want to play us at Loretto. Not our fault larger classification teams don't want to play but its understandable. They're in a no win situation when they do. If they win, they should win because they're a higher classification school. If they lose, and most do, they're embarrassed because a single A team beat them.

How about these scores for Loretto:

Def Rogers, AL (defending 4A state champions) 64-43
Def Muscle Shoals, AL (Puckett's school) 66-48
Def Hillsboro 84-58
Def Lawrence Co. 59-40
Def Lincoln Co. 58-29
Def Ravenwood 59-32 and 52-33

So we play some larger schools. Most don't want to schedule us.

I went to a Class A high school and played basketball. It didn't matter one bit. Primarily because I sucked but I did see some really good high school basketball teams/players from Middle Tennessee though. The natural great player can come from anywhere.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK

VN Store

Back