Mike Gundy facing backlash

It seems petty to me.
Ive never seen the site nor do I care to it just seems like he needed a reason to go over the edge and this was his out. I absolutely get that the country is going through a lot right now but to get so crazy over a shirt is a bit much. Hell they went after Paw Patrol, Uncle Ben, and Aunt Gemima (sp?).

Im not looking to argue but where does it end? g
The thing is that I don't necessarily disagree with you in principle. I see it as an overreaction to quit, or almost quit, a college football career because your coach wore a t-shirt of a controversial news org. And if I were him, I wouldn't have gone to Twitter to air my grievances but straight to Gundy. However, Chuba is totally within his prerogative to do that - it's his decision, and it's Gundy's decision to either tell Chuba (and probably a bunch of others players) to go take a hike or to listen to them. What you seem to be saying is that Gundy should have told him to take a hike - I mean, he had that option, but he didn't do it. You just disagree with how Gundy handled it, but he wasn't forced into bending to the players' will.

You can say whatever you want, but that doesn't mean your insulated from consequences if people don't like what you say.

So, now an ex teammate is saying Gundy called him the ":n-word" ......................in 1989??

Let's go back in everyone's life and see if they have said anything racist or derogatory about another person or people.
Let him without sin cast the first stone

The thing is that I don't necessarily disagree with you in principle. I see it as an overreaction to quit, or almost quit, a college football career because your coach wore a t-shirt of a controversial news org. And if I were him, I wouldn't have gone to Twitter to air my grievances but straight to Gundy. However, Chuba is totally within his prerogative to do that - it's his decision, and it's Gundy's decision to either tell Chuba (and probably a bunch of others players) to go take a hike or to listen to them. What you seem to be saying is that Gundy should have told him to take a hike - I mean, he had that option, but he didn't do it. You just disagree with how Gundy handled it, but he wasn't forced into bending to the players' will.

You can say whatever you want, but that doesn't mean your insulated from consequences if people don't like what you say.

The whole apology seemed to be forced. Sure he could have handled it differently and should have. Now he has caved to a player and most likely others will follow suit with whatever isn’t perfect. A coach has to maintain control and if x,y, or z doesent like it then bye.

Reactions: tbh and 'Boro-vol

You seriously don’t believe a Power That Be didn’t gently instruct him to say the right thing whilst puckering?

Never a joke? Even when you were young?
You are a great man.

and it was when he was in college. It's doesn't make it right, nor justifiable, but it wasn't when he was "making millions."

I’m not that young and that’s never been an ok joke that I can remember. I did loads of stupid stuff in college but calling someone a n****r was definitely not one of them. That’s racist and if it’s part of a joke then it’s a racist joke. People can change and one mistake doesn’t define a person,but let’s not pretend that was ever ok.

The making millions comment wasn’t “he’s rich, he should know better.” It was “getting paid millions is pretty damn fortunate and if someone decides that prior poor judgment means you don’t get millions of dollars next year, I’m not sweating it.”

I’m not that young and that’s never been an ok joke that I can remember. I did loads of stupid stuff in college but calling someone a n****r was definitely not one of them. That’s racist and if it’s part of a joke then it’s a racist joke. People can change and one mistake doesn’t define a person,but let’s not pretend that was ever ok.

The making millions comment wasn’t “he’s rich, he should know better.” It was “getting paid millions is pretty damn fortunate and if someone decides that prior poor judgment means you don’t get millions of dollars next year, I’m not sweating it.”

I never pretended was ever “ok.”
and one day when hopefully you are making millions, and your livelihood is taken away because of your “loads of stupid stuff” you did years earlier........don’t whine about it.

I never pretended was ever “ok.”
and one day when hopefully you are making millions, and your livelihood is taken away because of your “loads of stupid stuff” you did years earlier........don’t whine about it.

I won’t and I won’t expect your sympathy. Do you see how saying “who among us hasn’t?” sounds like it’s no big deal and totally normal? Even if it was common in 89 (It wasn’t in the crowds I ran with anyway), that wouldn’t make it ok. I’m not trying to crucify the guy for something he said 30 years ago, but that’s very different than justifying the behavior.

I also just couldn’t possibly care less about his current or future employment. His job is not like our jobs and he’s set for life even if it disappeared tomorrow.

I won’t and I won’t expect your sympathy. Do you see how saying “who among us hasn’t?” sounds like it’s no big deal and totally normal? Even if it was common in 89 (It wasn’t in the crowds I ran with anyway), that wouldn’t make it ok. I’m not trying to crucify the guy for something he said 30 years ago, but that’s very different than justifying the behavior.

I also just couldn’t possibly care less about his current or future employment. His job is not like our jobs and he’s set for life even if it disappeared tomorrow.
5E67D1B8-8CF4-4BA8-833D-0AF21697FAA6.png

I do. It may take a minute, but he’ll be sacrificed. At the very least he’s used up all of his job capital.
I think it’s now a recruiting issue. Gonna have a hard time signing black players going forward.!At the very least every coach is going to be hammering him at every turn. I don’t believe he survives it.

Reactions: 'Boro-vol
You seriously don’t believe a Power That Be didn’t gently instruct him to say the right thing whilst puckering?
Even if they did, the "power that be" wasn't forced into doing anything in particular either. It seems like if Gundy told him to take a hike, they'd be dealing with a full-blown mutiny on their hands. In order to avoid that, they said they'd make changes.

The players do have power - you might not like what they use it for, but they do and have always had power to do something like that. If there are no players, there's no product on the field.

Again, I bet everybody's opinion is different if a coach espoused some left-wing opinion you didn't like, and some conservative players spoke out against it. If that was the case, I bet your tune is different.

Even if they did, the "power that be" wasn't forced into doing anything in particular either. It seems like if Gundy told him to take a hike, they'd be dealing with a full-blown mutiny on their hands. In order to avoid that, they said they'd make changes.

The players do have power - you might not like what they use it for, but they do and have always had power to do something like that. If there are no players, there's no product on the field.

Again, I bet everybody's opinion is different if a coach espoused some left-wing opinion you didn't like, and some conservative players spoke out against it. If that was the case, I bet your tune is different.
You use “forced” really lightly. Almost like anything short of a .44 pressed behind his ear. I get your (really tired annoyingly repeated) mantra of the players, their importance blah blah blah! Whether I LIKE it or not or however I vote or whatever else you’re self righteously blathering about, there used to be the fringe right and left and then there was a more reasonable contingent towards the middle that didn’t devolve into screeching witch hunts! When you’re on a football message board and the quote you’re responding to is wagering on your reaction to hypothetical conservative situations? The world’s taken a wrong turn at Albuquerque. Just woke up for the day and your bs made me tired again...go save something. 😴

Chubba and Gundy have made up, Chubba now has a social platform in help for the Heisman. It'll be a touching moment in NYC...... didn't know where to use blue font

Reactions: golfballs

WTF ever happened to "sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me?" That is the way most of us older folks were raised. People today are way too sensitive to a stupid word.

WTF ever happened to "sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me?" That is the way most of us older folks were raised. People today are way too sensitive to a stupid word.

That phrase is meant to say be tough when someone insults you. It’s not meant to give you free reign to insult anyone you want without getting called out on it.

That phrase is meant to say be tough when someone insults you. It’s not meant to give you free reign to insult anyone you want without getting called out on it.
If people would be tough, then they wouldn't have to get so insulted. Words don't bother me.

If people would be tough, then they wouldn't have to get so insulted. Words don't bother me.
That’s great for you. They tend not to bother me much either. That doesn’t give me a license to be a dick though. I sometimes still am, but that’s a whole other thing.

I think it’s a big deal. Guy makes millions of dollars; his job is to convince a bunch of kids to work really hard for free. You’d have to be at least a little self-aware. It’s not me he has to influence.

Hypothetically...if EA Sports ever reboots the NCAA Football video game franchise, will head coach mode have a "recreational wardrobe selection" feature that impacts recruiting like academics, location, etc?

Glass bones and paper skin

Reactions: preacherwebb

VN Store

Back