Mike Gundy facing backlash

maybe not muzzle but they damn sure want to dictate what comes out...
I wouldn't say dictate what comes out - I'd just say there's a hypersensitivity to any opinion that differs from one's own.

If Chuba wanted to leave the team over his coach's political beliefs, I think that's hypersensitive, but he's free to react that way.

I’ll just say that yesterday in my initial post on this topic I probably overreacted. I’m not saying I don’t think athletes voices shouldn’t be heard because I do. Their opinions matter and I have no problem with Hubbard problem with Gundy wearing a provocative shirt if he felt uncomfortable with his position on it. I think my reaction was based on a lot that I see that I don’t really agree with. A lot of that has to do with vilifying people very publicly who really aren’t doing anything that has malicious intent.
I think part of the issue I took with the reaction to Brees’ comments, although they were missing the mark and untimely, was how quickly and publicly his teammates, players around the League, the city of New Orleans and people like Shannon Sharpe and other media members destroyed him. Talk about the epitome of what have you done for me lately? He donated $5 million in April to Louisiana for COVID relief and has done a helluva lot more for the unique and diverse city of New Orleans than maybe anybody in the history of that town and then gets shouted at on Instagram by teammates. That’s complete ********. His statement wasn’t racist, definitely poorly timed and poorly thought out, but not racist, and certainly not worthy of the backlash he received and how quickly everyone was racing to cancel him. When people see good people like Drew Brees shouted down they don’t feel like this is a conversation any longer. That’s how I got to where I did. When kids at Texas are making a list of demands and when Hubbard sees Gundy wearing a provocative tshirt he takes to social media as opposed to talking behind closed doors it comes across as opportunism or doing the trendy thing that they see their idols in pro sport or pop culture doing. Everyone says they want change whether it be for one thing or another, but I don’t find the cancel culture and public shaming of questionable decision making a positive way to get the desired result. It certainly makes people like me question the players motivations.
Don't disagree with any of that, especially Chuba going to Twitter to air his disagreement rather than going to Gundy first. I think Chuba probably does genuinely disagree with Gundy and was probably upset by him wearing the shirt, but clearly he wanted some attention from it too.

Don't disagree with any of that, especially Chuba going to Twitter to air his disagreement rather than going to Gundy first. I think Chuba probably does genuinely disagree with Gundy and was probably upset by him wearing the shirt, but clearly he wanted some attention from it too.
I think I was just as surprised that Chuba knew what OAN was, as I was that Grundy was wearing an OAN shirt. I definitely wasn’t familiar with OAN, I just wonder how he got the shirt. Did he subscribe to a newsletter and get a free shirt and mug?

So, now an ex teammate is saying Gundy called him the ":n-word" ......................in 1989??

Let's go back in everyone's life and see if they have said anything racist or derogatory about another person or people.

Reactions: Pacer92
I think I was just as surprised that Chuba knew what OAN was, as I was that Grundy was wearing an OAN shirt. I definitely wasn’t familiar with OAN, I just wonder how he got the shirt. Did he subscribe to a newsletter and get a free shirt and mug?
Maybe he knew, but it wouldn't surprise me if someone told Chuba what OAN was ("Hey - your coach was wearing a t-shirt of this anti-BLM, pro-Trump news station"). Unless you're a political or media junkie, OAN is really only known to the people who watch it.

As for Gundy, he'd talked about OAN before in a press conference. I don't know the context (if he brought it up entirely on his own or if it was in response to a question), but he mentioned that he watched it a lot and liked it because they weren't biased...they "just present the news" or something to that effect (which is totally laughable). Maybe OAN sent him the shirt after that as some free advertising, or as you said he signed up for something from them and they sent him some swag.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
The rage mob has the mullet in their sights. Gundy is toast. Mark it down, he won’t be the coach at OSU next year.

Reactions: sport3500
The rage mob has the mullet in their sights. Gundy is toast. Mark it down, he won’t be the coach at OSU next year.
Interesting how rage mobs work, isn't it?

This is the first I'm hearing about it, but this allegation against Gundy was known and publicized at the time. It was in newspaper articles after the 1989 OSU/Colorado game and Gundy was interviewed on local TV about it. He denied it at the time. Now, all you have to do is bring it up again in a heated climate about these things and it might cost him his job.

This is the first I'm hearing about it, but this allegation against Gundy was known and publicized at the time. It was in newspaper articles after the 1989 OSU/Colorado game and Gundy was interviewed on local TV about it. He denied it at the time. Now, all you have to do is bring it up again in a heated climate about these things and it might cost him his job.

His buyout is enormous. He might enjoy making that money & NOT coaching ala Dooley wanted to do.

Reactions: 'Boro-vol
His buyout is enormous. He might enjoy making that money & NOT coaching ala Dooley wanted to do.
If that's the case, wouldn't shock me if they went the "fired for cause" route, especially if he has some morals clause in his contract. I'm sure he'd sue them in response to that.

Reactions: onevol74
He very well might’ve suffered the same fate as Dooley if he had come here. Actually, I think we might’ve looked a lot like the 2012 VOLS under Gundy. A lot of offense, not much defense

Reactions: onevol74

Might should’ve been a bigger deal back in 89... Sweeping these things under the rug is how we wound up where we are now. If they didn’t feel like it got a fair hearing the first time, of course it’s going to come up again.

So, now an ex teammate is saying Gundy called him the ":n-word" ......................in 1989??

Let's go back in everyone's life and see if they have said anything racist or derogatory about another person or people.

I don’t know about you, but I’ve never called anyone that. It doesn’t seem like that high of a bar to clear for public figures making millions per year.

He has clearly lost control of his program IMO. I dont think he stays there much longer and will end up being a mutual negotiated buyout of a lesser amount than what they have now.

Reactions: sport3500
He has clearly lost control of his program IMO. I dont think he stays there much longer and will end up being a mutual negotiated buyout of a lesser amount than what they have now.

This is the same Oklahoma State football program that gave Dexter Manley a scholarship when he couldn’t read or write.

Yeah that is extra dumb.....he should've addressed it then if it happened. They should've never even given him air time.

I wouldn't say dictate what comes out - I'd just say there's a hypersensitivity to any opinion that differs from one's own.

If Chuba wanted to leave the team over his coach's political beliefs, I think that's hypersensitive, but he's free to react that way.

in other words hes wants you to do or say what he wants otherwise he will refuse to do anything for OSU
If he refuses he should then no longer be considered a student athlete

afterall, its only a shirt

I don’t know about you, but I’ve never called anyone that. It doesn’t seem like that high of a bar to clear for public figures making millions per year.
Never a joke? Even when you were young?
You are a great man.

and it was when he was in college. It's doesn't make it right, nor justifiable, but it wasn't when he was "making millions."

Last edited:
Might should’ve been a bigger deal back in 89... Sweeping these things under the rug is how we wound up where we are now. If they didn’t feel like it got a fair hearing the first time, of course it’s going to come up again.
It wasn't swept under the rug though - it was covered and reported at the time. Colorado players said he said it, Gundy denies it. What else is there to discuss? It's a total he said-he said unless there's a recording of it or something.
in other words hes wants you to do or say what he wants otherwise he will refuse to do anything for OSU
If he refuses he should then no longer be considered a student athlete

afterall, its only a shirt
Yeah - I mean that's his prerogative, is it not? And it's Gundy's prerogative to either take his concerns into consideration or tell him to go take a hike?

It wasn't swept under the rug though - it was covered and reported at the time. Colorado players said he said it, Gundy denies it. What else is there to discuss? It's a total he said-he said unless there's a recording of it or something.

Yeah - I mean that's his prerogative, is it not? And it's Gundy's prerogative to either take his concerns into consideration or tell him to go take a hike?

It seems petty to me.
Ive never seen the site nor do I care to it just seems like he needed a reason to go over the edge and this was his out. I absolutely get that the country is going through a lot right now but to get so crazy over a shirt is a bit much. Hell they went after Paw Patrol, Uncle Ben, and Aunt Gemima (sp?).

Im not looking to argue but where does it end? g

Reactions: tbh

VN Store

Back