ESPN Hits All Time 41 yr Ratings Low as Wokecenter on steroids takes over

ESPN is definitely far left but I'm sure the lack of live sports to broadcast and talk about is a bigger reason than politics for their ratings

Reactions: Sandman 423
It will be interesting to see the kneelers vs. non-kneelers at any event. Are the non-kneelers going to get chastised by the kneelers and vice-versa?

They (the league) would be well served to not do the national anthem for awhile. At least don't do it while the players are on the field. Why advertise who's an idiot? It'd be divisive. It's an unfortunate consequence of where we are as a nation right now

Aside from the obvious "no ****. sports are dead." angle, ESPN took a hard turn away from politics and has pushed everything more towards centrist opinions. They've really limited the politics, but right now it's kinda impossible since the two worlds are so intertwined at the moment.

So, if ratings are down after ESPN corrected its behavior, what does that tell you?
They didnt actually correct the behavior.

1. It's still slanted as all get out. Havent really heard anything conservative from their mouths. It's just now not targeting Trump. That's not better.
2. It's not so much which side they are pushing. Just that they are pushing a side. I dont care if I agree with them, when I turn on ESPN I want to hear about sports.
3. It's no relegated to just one show. Like if I knew I could just tune out SVP, or PTI, or any other show I would check in more often. But being at home and having ESPN on different times it's all I hear. Again I didnt mind when I was hearing sports news on a sports station. That makes sense. But its opinions on stuff and interviews with different people. All about not sports.

The risk for college football will be if they cut production to the point the televised game become boring and decisive will drive the fans away, then the money drys up then college football crashes because TV had driven the prices of coaches and programs up do high

They didnt actually correct the behavior.

1. It's still slanted as all get out. Havent really heard anything conservative from their mouths. It's just now not targeting Trump. That's not better.
2. It's not so much which side they are pushing. Just that they are pushing a side. I dont care if I agree with them, when I turn on ESPN I want to hear about sports.
3. It's no relegated to just one show. Like if I knew I could just tune out SVP, or PTI, or any other show I would check in more often. But being at home and having ESPN on different times it's all I hear. Again I didnt mind when I was hearing sports news on a sports station. That makes sense. But its opinions on stuff and interviews with different people. All about not sports.

So did ESPN rein it in or not? You're saying they at least banned Trump bashing and simultaneously saying they didn't correct behavior. Which is it?

We'll have to disagree about whether or not they cooled it on political discussion, but that was an obvious yes 3 months ago when i stopped watching

The biggest surprise to me is that Bayern Munich vs. Frankfurt only manged 140k views. Soccer is never, ever going to be as big in this country as people would like to pretend if it's losing out to the 12:30 SportsCenter.
Problem is Bayern already has the league won so Bundeslinga is kinda boring now

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
On Wednesday ESPN’s studio programming, which has become MSESPN’s WokeCenter on steroids 24/7, hit a 41 year ratings low. That is, in the entire history of the network existing, it has never had lower overall studio ratings than it did this week.

The network, which has become more left wing than MSNBC and CNN combined over the past several weeks, has completely abandoned sports coverage. The result? Viewers, many of whom were willing to watch the channel even during a pandemic disaster with limited sports to consume, have abandoned it in droves. How bad was it? We’re talking full on crisis mode level awfulness.

“First Take” was the highest rated ESPN studio show all day, posting just 211,000 viewers. That was the 93rd highest rated program on all of cable. Putting those numbers into context compared to other shows airing the same day on cable: “Nick Cannon Wild and Out 15” on VH1 had 50% more viewers than ESPN’s top show. “Smuggler: Secret Stash” on National Geographic doubled First Take. Not to be outdone, “Craig of the Creek” on the Cartoon Network posted 200,000 more viewers.

Hell, even “Jay Leno’s Garage” on CNBC soundly defeated First Take.

Jay. Leno’s. Garage.

So did something called “Ant Anstead Master Mechanic” on a channel called Motor Trend, which I didn’t even know was a cable channel, much less a show.

Consider these studio show numbers from Wednesday:

Get Up had just 136,000 viewers on June 10th, the lowest number of viewers I could find in the show’s history. (And there have been a ton of bad ratings for that show.)

First Take had just 211,000 viewers, the lowest number of viewers I’ve ever seen for the show.

The highest rated SportsCenter all day had just 168,000 viewers, the lowest rated I’ve ever seen for SportsCenter as well.

NBA: The Jump had only 112,000 viewers and that’s when the NBA finally had news about returning to play.

And these were just the shows that rated, it was likely worse for other studio shows which didn’t even make the top 150 cable shows.

ESPN Hits All-Time 41 Year Ratings Low As WokeCenter On Steroids Takes Over
If college football is canceled will ESPN survive?

So did ESPN rein it in or not? You're saying they at least banned Trump bashing and simultaneously saying they didn't correct behavior. Which is it?

We'll have to disagree about whether or not they cooled it on political discussion, but that was an obvious yes 3 months ago when i stopped watching
Anything changed in 3 months?

I haven't watched in years unless it's a live sports event that I cannot watch elsewhere, or the odd 30 for 30 that catches my interest. I do customarily watch shows on SECN, so I guess they got me there. I haven't watched/listened to Finebaum but a couple of times since March because it got old listening to people speculate about whether we'd get Fall football.

Reactions: Wireless1
Maybe they can turn it around with some quality off-season shows to fill the void:

Fishing with Jim Mcelwain

Will Muschamp - Off His Meds

Killing Innocent Puppies with Nick Saban

Cold Sore Care With Dan Mullen

Derek Mason Puffy Vest Power Hour

There was like a whole year in between ESPN changing course and the pandemic.
I have no idea when they changed..... it wasn’t just the social justice nonsense.... the shows and talent just wasn’t as good.....in today’s environment, it is very hard to bring people back bc we have so many options out there.

Reactions: BreatheUT
I haven't watched in years unless it's a live sports event that I cannot watch elsewhere, or the odd 30 for 30 that catches my interest. I do customarily watch shows on SECN, so I guess they got me there. I haven't watched/listened to Finebaum but a couple of times since March because it got old listening to people speculate about whether we'd get Fall football.
In my day, we got 4 hours of SportsCenter replays every morning followed by some 9 ball, log sawing, then maybe some speed boats or funny cars, followed by downhill skiing and college basketball in prime time. Every day was a cultural experience and Dan Patrick, Keith Olberman and Chris Berman were considered quality entertainment.

In my day, we got 4 hours of SportsCenter replays every morning followed by some 9 ball, log sawing, then maybe some speed boats or funny cars, followed by downhill skiing and college basketball in prime time. Every day was a cultural experience and Dan Patrick, Keith Olberman and Chris Berman were considered quality entertainment.

Even Stewart Scott was cooler than the other side of the pillow. It’s like trying to watch a BET awards show now.

Maybe they can turn it around with some quality off-season shows to fill the void:

Fishing with Jim Mcelwain

Will Muschamp - Off His Meds

Killing Innocent Puppies with Nick Saban

Cold Sore Care With Dan Mullen

Derek Mason Puffy Vest Power Hour
I see you have a future in sport television programming.

Reactions: rekinhavoc
There are no sports.
There was no low hanging fruit Sports but there were sports and sport stories to cover. Just not the easy ones they were used to. The european sports announcer covering every day events proved they could have done more than they did.

Reactions: BreatheUT

VN Store

Back