ESPN Hits All Time 41 yr Ratings Low as Wokecenter on steroids takes over

ESPN dumped his and Jamele's show 2 years ago because, once again, they changed course. He left.

BY JUSTIN WISE - 07/21/19 08:08 AM EDT

ESPN has reportedly sent a memo to employees reminding them to avoid discussing politics in light of talk show host Dan Le Batard's strong criticism of President Trump.

The Associated Press, citing an ESPN employee who spoke on condition of anonymity, reported that the reminder was sent on Friday, a day after Le Batard voiced strong disdain over the "send her back" chants that targeted Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.) at a Trump rally in North Carolina.

ESPN reminds employees to avoid political talk after host blasts Trump: report

ESPN has obviously put a PAUSE on their prohibition on discussing politics.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
BY JUSTIN WISE - 07/21/19 08:08 AM EDT

ESPN has reportedly sent a memo to employees reminding them to avoid discussing politics in light of talk show host Dan Le Batard's strong criticism of President Trump.

The Associated Press, citing an ESPN employee who spoke on condition of anonymity, reported that the reminder was sent on Friday, a day after Le Batard voiced strong disdain over the "send her back" chants that targeted Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.) at a Trump rally in North Carolina.

ESPN reminds employees to avoid political talk after host blasts Trump: report

ESPN has obviously put a PAUSE on their prohibition on discussing politics.
Your original post to this thread included a statement that ESPN "has become more left wing than MSNBC and CNN combined over the past several weeks," was hyperbole at best. Of course, they have abandoned sports discussion in favor of more up to date topics. You can only talk about the past so much. Should it come as a surprise to anyone that their ratings have gone down? There hasn't been a live team sporting event in North America in 3 months. Last night would have been when Game 5 of the NBA Finals was played. If it had been the Lakers vs Bucks, their ratings would have been great.

You are a crybaby just like Trump. Always playing the victim card, with the mean old mainstream media always being the bad guy.

Reactions: Tyler Durden
Your original post to this thread included a statement that ESPN "has become more left wing than MSNBC and CNN combined over the past several weeks," was hyperbole at best. Of course, they have abandoned sports discussion in favor of more up to date topics. You can only talk about the past so much. Should it come as a surprise to anyone that their ratings have gone down? There hasn't been a live team sporting event in North America in 3 months. Last night would have been when Game 5 of the NBA Finals was played. If it had been the Lakers vs Bucks, their ratings would have been great.

You are a crybaby just like Trump. Always playing the victim card, with the mean old mainstream media always being the bad guy.

You and 3 other people in NY, Chicago and California miss the NBA. Most of us are glad it's not wasting bandwidth on our precious 600 channel cable network.

You and 3 other people in NY, Chicago and California miss the NBA. Most of us are glad it's not wasting bandwidth on our precious 600 channel cable network.
... and yet, ESPN's viewership for the Finals is typically very good. Even though there was a Canadian team involved for the first time in the 2019 NBA Finals, the Warriors vs Raptors series delivered an aggregate average audience of 20.5 million viewers.

... and yet, ESPN's viewership for the Finals are typically very good. Even though there was a Canadian team involved for the first time in the 2019 NBA Finals, the Warriors vs Raptors series delivered an aggregate average audience of 20.5 million viewers.
I know I was just busting your chops because I don't like anything NBA or NHL. They play 150 games only to get to the playoffs and play another 200 games to get to the finals.

ESPN is running advertisement on ABC for ESPN+ with all day programming of Peyton Places. Desperation. But if you are going to do it then it's a smart play to use an All American guy instead of divisive characters.

That Ain't all of the reason. I have tuned in daily to see what was happening in the sports world, and those people are literally Screaming into the cameras. And as difficult as it is to believe, they are more WOKE than CNN and MCDNC. ESPN has turned into the Social Justice Network on steroids.
Yup, time to walk away clean.

ESPN lost me as a regular viewer when they went to the personality driven media with everything. I want to watch sports, highlights, player interviews. Not be told what to think about politics in sports by an anchor personality giving their hot take.

About the only thing I watch on ESPN anymore is football/occasional baseball. 30 for 30 docs. That's about it.
They lost me with the Craig James/ Mike Leach thing. Screw Craig James. Screw Adam James.

cjk5h

When espn does have a baseball game on for "classics" time ....they'll show a 1976 Yankees vs Boston Red Sox game. Who the hell cares about that BS.....a 1976 baseball game and nobody will watch that for 3 hrs.
I check daily to see whats on the espn channels but very rarely do they have anything on worth watching in a pandemic.

Maybe if they would go back to doing sports and sports highlights, instead of trying to be social justice warriors their ratings wouldn't suck

There are a bunch of interesting topics they could cover if they did investigative reporting or sports related interviews that fanbases in college and pro sports are dying to hear about. Instead they go for the easy low hanging fruit topics that crushes even further their declining business model. Most companies would've had multiple fired CEO's by now.

Reactions: mr.checkerboards
There are a bunch of interesting topics they could cover if they did investigative reporting or sports related interviews that fanbases in college and pro sports are dying to hear about. Instead they go for the easy low hanging fruit topics that crushes even further their declining business model. Most companies would've had multiple fired CEO's by now.
I used to get up in the morning and turn Sportscenter on first thing. I would have it on from 8-12 ish and just watch it rerun or if there was any breaking news. Then they went to more talk shows and I started watching less and less. Then everything became political and now ive pretty much stopped watching. I watch some sports mainly baseball UFC and the Vols and other than that I will steer clear. They had me once, but even if they change I won't go back if I can help it.

I used to get up in the morning and turn Sportscenter on first thing. I would have it on from 8-12 ish and just watch it rerun or if there was any breaking news. Then they went to more talk shows and I started watching less and less. Then everything became political and now ive pretty much stopped watching. I watch some sports mainly baseball UFC and the Vols and other than that I will steer clear. They had me once, but even if they change I won't go back if I can help it.

Yes, I remember those days. I would watch it over and over just to catch certain clips at the same minute mark each hour. Now we have the internet but it was easier than going to team pages now.

Since ESPN downsized they have been pretty damn sorry. I remember when sportscenter was must watch television. They have become a shell of themselves and after digging the home even deeper it appears. They've become horrible at identifying/cultivating talent.

That was quality viewing back in the 80s.
I loved it, it was amazing the number of sporting events I was exposed to that way. Remember the big rig races without the trailers? Or the jet boats on timed courses weaving through narrow waterways? I'd love to watch rugby if they'd cover it.

Last edited:
Reactions: BreatheUT
The biggest surprise to me is that Bayern Munich vs. Frankfurt only manged 140k views. Soccer is never, ever going to be as big in this country as people would like to pretend if it's losing out to the 12:30 SportsCenter.
Unless I’m watching one of my kids play..... or team USA in the World Cup.... I couldn’t give two tips about soccer

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol

VN Store

Back