Hiking, kayaking, biking, skiing, camping, hunting and other outdoor activities. Show me your pictures

Anyone ever camped Max Patch? What's the hike from the AT camp area to the summit like?
Worked in HS for a summer in HS. Been going back for over 20 years. It's sort of my wife and my place.

Max Patch is quite a drive. We've tried to drive to top. Maybe we took wrong turn? Access road had huge chunk rock, so, made executive decision to turn back.

We just went back and ate at Spring Creek Tavern and soaked in tubs.

Lovers Leap is a good, short hike. Maybe Big Laurel trail? Take a fly rod.

Reactions: volwindy
I haven't done much hiking in Yellowstone, but Mt. Washburn is pretty cool, though likely to be crowded. The Grand Canyon of Yellowstone and the Lower and Upper Falls are amazing. If you have the time to do the Beartooth Hwy from Cooke City to Red Lodge, it is a spectacular drive.

I can't remember if you have been to the Tetons, but heading down there for a hike one day would be good if you had the time. It would be a long day.
Used to trail run along the trail from Lake to Canyon. Never made it all way to Canyon. But views alongside trail are amazing. Its very flat so easy to hike.

Prob could have made it to Canyon but, a rutted Bison sorta got me rattled. You cant see them till its too late. Also a great way to spot Cutt's sitting in river picking off flies.

Recall walking the GCoY under moonlight. Was pretty cool to be there. You can still see it at night.

Reactions: volwindy
Used to trail run along the trail from Lake to Canyon. Never made it all way to Canyon. But views alongside trail are amazing. Its very flat so easy to hike.

Prob could have made it to Canyon but, a rutted Bison sorta got me rattled. You cant see them till its too late. Also a great way to spot Cutt's sitting in river picking off flies.

Recall walking the GCoY under moonlight. Was pretty cool to be there. You can still see it at night.

Full moon hiking is great. Used to go in the Tetons and went a couple of times in Southern Utah.

I used to trail run in the Tetons. I was running along a trail one day paying attention to the ground rather than what was ahead and nearly ran into a bear that was on the trail.

Full moon hiking is great. Used to go in the Tetons and went a couple of times in Southern Utah.

I used to trail run in the Tetons. I was running along a trail one day paying attention to the ground rather than what was ahead and nearly ran into a bear that was on the trail.
Trail running versus what I was doing is apples and oranges. I was jogging on a trail. Trail jogging.

I will say this though. Living at 7700 ft, mustve done some wonky things to my metabolism. Couldnt keep weight on.

No issues with that now!

Pretty excited. Wife just bought a Kelty baby carrier on Etsy.

Anyway, hope to have some pics from family hike this weekend!

On Memorial Day, a man near Big Sky, Montana had a similar encounter and, unfortunately, learned the hard way that encounters with startled grizzlies do not usually end well. https://www.postregister.com/news/l...8YLqokN4Nhcx7rto5hNlauW6ucWyNjEOzKjefPYitjzpE

Yikes... One trail I did in YS was Mary Mountain. Ita a 23 miler across the caldera in “Bear Country”. My buddy and I made sure to make lots of noise anytime we entered a wooded area. Im sure a casual observer would have laughed at us singing our made up song “GO AWAY BEARS!”

Never saw one while hiking. I do remember riding in the back of a pickup headed to Roosevelt. We got stuck in tourist traffic because there was two cubs playing about 20 yards off the road. All I could think as we were at a complete stand still was that mama had to be near by and here I was exposed in the back of a pick up. Fortunately traffic started moving and I never saw mama.

Reactions: Jackcrevol
Yikes... One trail I did in YS was Mary Mountain. Ita a 23 miler across the caldera in “Bear Country”. My buddy and I made sure to make lots of noise anytime we entered a wooded area. Im sure a casual observer would have laughed at us singing our made up song “GO AWAY BEARS!”

Never saw one while hiking. I do remember riding in the back of a pickup headed to Roosevelt. We got stuck in tourist traffic because there was two cubs playing about 20 yards off the road. All I could think as we were at a complete stand still was that mama had to be near by and here I was exposed in the back of a pick up. Fortunately traffic started moving and I never saw mama.
Four of us loaded up to ride the 1:30 hours to Cody, because, Taco Bell, amirite?

Same tourist scenario. On way, lone Male bear got annoyed at the tourons. He was already casually strolling. Saw him slap at the bumper of a car too close.

Crazy.

We all just, drove around it.

If I had a do over, it would be to spend less time in the car and more time on the trail.

We missed hiking in to see Targhee & Bob Dylan at Jackson Hole Ski Resort.

We did however, manage a party on July 4th in Bozeman...starting at Rocking R. THAT was fun!

Last edited:

We did a little loop trail in Sequoia that goes around a swampy area, there was a female black bear on the inside of the loop and her cubs were outside. People were going between them to take pictures. Several people had little yappy dogs that were going nuts. I told a group of Asian tourists they needed to stop and wait and they just sort of nodded and went on. She wasn't that big but I wasn't interested in seeing what a pissed bear was capable of. In Grand Canyon there were people trying to walk up behind an elk to pet her, she knocked one guy over getting away. It seems that the biggest threat you face is the idiots around you.

We did a little loop trail in Sequoia that goes around a swampy area, there was a female black bear on the inside of the loop and her cubs were outside. People were going between them to take pictures. Several people had little yappy dogs that were going nuts. I told a group of Asian tourists they needed to stop and wait and they just sort of nodded and went on. She wasn't that big but I wasn't interested in seeing what a pissed bear was capable of. In Grand Canyon there were people trying to walk up behind an elk to pet her, she knocked one guy over getting away. It seems that the biggest threat you face is the idiots around you.

Tourists really seem to lose all common sense when they enter the parks.

Four of us loaded up to ride the 1:30 hours to Cody, because, Taco Bell, amirite?

Same tourist scenario. On way, lone Male bear got annoyed at the tourons. He was already casually strolling. Saw him slap at the bumper of a car too close.

Crazy.

We all just, drove around it.

If I had a do over, it would be to spend less time in the car and more time on the trail.

We missed hiking in to see Targhee & Bob Dylan at Jackson Hole Ski Resort.

We did however, manage a party on July 4th in Bozeman...starting at Rocking R. THAT was fun!

Early 00's? Dylan played at Snow King in town. I was there.

Met cycling pals in Buford, did a 20 mile ride this morning. Picked up some asphalt drive crack filler, afterwards. Will work according to the shade. 😁

Did a section of the AT in Hampton on Watauga Lake yesterday. Destination was the Watauga Dam. Nice trail that ended up being a little longer than we thought Kids powered through though and loved seeing the views from dam at the end. The was quite the large tree blocking the trail at one point. That was new for them to have to climb over something in the way 8114F461-E29F-42A4-BEEE-8DAB937F6CD7.jpeg3231FC3C-8417-4F80-B6FA-C3E4A7F521CF.jpeg
457C45A9-85F1-4E7E-A864-BDDC7CD3F69F.jpeg7A29AE60-8B04-4110-B411-D0F85DF161B8.jpeg

Did a section of the AT in Hampton on Watauga Lake yesterday. Destination was the Watauga Dam. Nice trail that ended up being a little longer than we thought Kids powered through though and loved seeing the views from dam at the end. The was quite the large tree blocking the trail at one point. That was new for them to have to climb over something in the way View attachment 283971View attachment 283972
View attachment 283970View attachment 283973
Used to trail jog that trail. One of my favs. nice pics brah.

Reactions: BenGrimm
My son and I went for a little walk today in the greenbriar area of cosby. I really wanted to do the porter creek trail, but the road is washed out and the sign says no one beyond this point.

If I was alone I would have walked around the signs but I had my son so you know.

We just walked the road for a couple miles and took several side trails to the creeks.

We actually set out on a rock in the creek below a bridge and had a snack. I needed the carbs cause the humidity had my old butt sucking wind.

Attachments

• 20200606_101433.jpg
    20200606_101433.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 9
  • 20200606_105204.jpg
    20200606_105204.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 9
  • 20200606_105218.jpg
    20200606_105218.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
Old? Whatchu know ‘bout old? When your grandson is ~your boy’s age, maybe. But you should still be hiking, splitting wood with sledge & wedges, and living a vigorous life. Age well. Live the life you’ve got.

VN Store

Back