Hiking, kayaking, biking, skiing, camping, hunting and other outdoor activities. Show me your pictures

Since our Safari has been postponed, we are looking to use the 2 weeks instead to go on a different trip. We are thinking about Yellowstone and Rocky Mountain. Yellowstone just reopened and Rocky Mountain is reopening next week, so hopefully they stay opened. Yellowstone we plan on staying in different areas, looks like we are going to be restricted based on current availability where we stay.

At any rate, for those that have been to either, can you tell me your must stops or hikes that you loved?

I haven't done much hiking in Yellowstone, but Mt. Washburn is pretty cool, though likely to be crowded. The Grand Canyon of Yellowstone and the Lower and Upper Falls are amazing. If you have the time to do the Beartooth Hwy from Cooke City to Red Lodge, it is a spectacular drive.

I can't remember if you have been to the Tetons, but heading down there for a hike one day would be good if you had the time. It would be a long day.

I haven't done much hiking in Yellowstone, but Mt. Washburn is pretty cool, though likely to be crowded. The Grand Canyon of Yellowstone and the Lower and Upper Falls are amazing. If you have the time to do the Beartooth Hwy from Cooke City to Red Lodge, it is a spectacular drive.

I can't remember if you have been to the Tetons, but heading down there for a hike one day would be good if you had the time. It would be a long day.
Thanks. We have time for one day in the Tetons, so we plan on making that happen. Wish we had more, but I'd rather put more into YS.

Since our Safari has been postponed, we are looking to use the 2 weeks instead to go on a different trip. We are thinking about Yellowstone and Rocky Mountain. Yellowstone just reopened and Rocky Mountain is reopening next week, so hopefully they stay opened. Yellowstone we plan on staying in different areas, looks like we are going to be restricted based on current availability where we stay.

At any rate, for those that have been to either, can you tell me your must stops or hikes that you loved?

Worked in Yellowstone in summer 2001. I worked as little as possible so i could Hike as much as possible.i did something like 200 miles of trail.

I was in Canyon so spent plenty of time around there. The trail that stands out to me was called 7 Mile Hole (i think). Its a descent to the bottom of the canyon to the lower falls. Wasnt so bad going down. Coming up was a beast.

i loved Roosevelt area in the northern part of the park. Lots of rolling hills with giant boulders that were left behind from a moving glacier in the last Ice Age.

If I were going with my family i would probably make Lake my HQ for the park.

My least favorite part is Old Faithful. Its just touristy and not the prettiest. You have to go see some geysers while there but i wouldn’t make it your focal point. When you do the Grand Prismatic, there is a hill near by with a trail leading to the top for a better aerial view.

Just to cap how much I love YS, this is 3’x3’ vintage map I got while there. I finally had it framed 4 years ago and it hangs by out coat/shoe rack in the hall....(not sure why its sideways) ABAB62E0-DF08-410D-9A4E-CDF27D385088.jpeg

First two weeks of September

Absolute perfect time. You will almost certainly have a snowstorm, but the weather will be great. And it will be less crowded. Higher elevations will still have wildflowers.

Will give you a few hiking ideas before you go.

One absolute stop is a drink outside at Dornan's in Moose. The food is also good.

Reactions: volwindy
Worked in Yellowstone in summer 2001. I worked as little as possible so i could Hike as much as possible.i did something like 200 miles of trail.

I was in Canyon so spent plenty of time around there. The trail that stands out to me was called 7 Mile Hole (i think). Its a descent to the bottom of the canyon to the lower falls. Wasnt so bad going down. Coming up was a beast.

i loved Roosevelt area in the northern part of the park. Lots of rolling hills with giant boulders that were left behind from a moving glacier in the last Ice Age.

My least favorite part is Old Faithful. Its just touristy and not the prettiest. You have to go see some geysers while there but i wouldn’t make it your focal point. When you do the Grand Prismatic, there is a hill near by with a trail leading to the top for a better aerial view.

Just to cap how much I love YS, this is 3’x3’ vintage map I got while there. I finally had it framed 4 years ago and it hangs by out coat/shoe rack in the hall....(not sure why its sideways) View attachment 282386

I usually tell people to skip Old Faithful, but everyone wants to see it. Very anticlimactic.

Just to cap how much I love YS, this is 3’x3’ vintage map I got while there. I finally had it framed 4 years ago and it hangs by out coat/shoe rack in the hall....(not sure why its sideways) View attachment 282386
Thanks, this is very helpful as far as the areas to stay. Northern area is booked already, but old faithful, canyon, and lake are still available and had intentions on staying in each, but will maybe omit old faithful.

We were expecting rain all weekend. When we woke up Saturday morning to sunshine and clear skies we had to get out. We did this hike on Easter 2019 It’s become a favorite to repeat. Most of it is along the creek and you see several smaller falls before you get to the big one at the end. Kids love fording the creek. Any excuse to play in the water

MARGARETTE FALLS - GREENE CO

E0B166AF-EAC1-4AE0-9228-DA2EBAF888F0.jpegF22DBF77-B518-4005-9AF2-6AA7765169E5.jpegD260DAD8-675E-46EB-B602-4DE60000A70B.jpegFE53473E-D9F2-4A86-911E-1BE1E2E710BD.jpegAFA9F0F2-1EFD-481F-B64A-FF98E58F7147.jpeg3E2F15F4-4EC0-4BF2-B708-4F9127F0B452.jpeg311505B5-C653-4B9A-9813-4225C14A3EB6.jpeg12BAB63A-DC2E-47DC-A645-B3D8EC86E29A.jpeg

I have friend who retired at 68, and worked for the Gov't at a inn and the rustic cabins. I'm not sure exactly where. That was in 2018.
He did the same thing as you with his spare time, but he loves to trout fish, and he spent a lot of time doing that. He had been to Yellowstone to fish 16 times before retiring.
He took last year off, but is returning this year. He has been told to report on June 8.

BTW, you have a wonderful looking family.

Reactions: BenGrimm
We were expecting rain all weekend. When we woke up Saturday morning to sunshine and clear skies we had to get out. We did this hike on Easter 2019 It’s become a favorite to repeat. Most of it is along the creek and you see several smaller falls before you get to the big one at the end. Kids love fording the creek. Any excuse to play in the water

View attachment 282437View attachment 282438View attachment 282439View attachment 282441View attachment 282443View attachment 282445View attachment 282447View attachment 282448
These are beautiful photos, thanks for sharing them with us.

I have friend who retired at 68, and worked for the Gov't at a inn and the rustic cabins. I'm not sure exactly where. That was in 2018.
He did the same thing as you with his spare time, but he loves to trout fish, and he spent a lot of time doing that. He had been to Yellowstone to fish 16 times before retiring.
He took last year off, but is returning this year. He has been told to report on June 8.

BTW, you have a wonderful looking family.

Thanks!

There were several retirees working there when I was there. Maybe i will get to do back under those circumstances one day.

Reactions: Jackcrevol
Here are two absolutely phenomenal resources for destinations in the Tetons: Grand Teton National Park - Grand Teton Park - Grand Teton Hikes and, particularly, Best of the Tetons, Area Info & Photography. This page provides an index of the author/photographer’s featured posts on the latter website: Archived Feature Posts. You will be a little early to see much fall color, but he has great articles on fall-foliage destinations in the Tetons, such as the following:

Fall in the Tetons: Tips for viewing and photographing the premiere season!

Fall at Oxbow Bend

Fall in the Snake River Canyon: (Note: The Snake River Canyon is one of those rare Rocky Mountain destinations where you have a good concentration of mountain maples, in addition to aspen, cottonwoods and willows, so you have an unusually varied color palette.

If I Had Only One Day in the Tetons

Incidentally, I understand the allure of Yellowstone; it has an assemblage of wildlife unrivaled in the lower 48 and a concentration of thermal features unsurpassed in the world. If, however, you most highly value rugged alpine topography, it does not hold a candle to Glacier National Park, the Tetons, Beartooths, Wind River Range (Wyoming), Sawtooth Mountains (Idaho), Maroon Bells (Colorado), or the San Juan Mountains, particularly the Sneffels Range, in southwestern Colorado. Incidentally, the San Juans are far more spectacular than Rocky Mountain National Park and much less heavily visited. This image (Sneffels Range Autumn | San Juan Mountains, Colorado) will give you an idea of what the latter range has to offer.

The Wind Rivers are not far to the southeast of the Tetons and comprise some of the most remote terrain anywhere in the country. The Green River Lakes area is an iconic and historic destination in the northern portion of that range. See Green River Lakes Campground and trails, Wyoming.

In the Northern Rockies, inclement weather destinations are always a good idea to have in your back pocket. Two excellent ones are the Buffalo Bill Center of the West (Buffalo Bill Center of the West | Museum in Cody, Wyoming) in Cody and the Museum of the Mountain Man in Pinedale (Museum of the Mountain Man).

P.S. If you ever want to specifically target peak fall color in the Northern Rockies, generally the last week of September and first week in October are best.

View attachment 282437View attachment 282438View attachment 282439View attachment 282441View attachment 282443View attachment 282445View attachment 282447View attachment 282448
Looks like a great hike!!

Here are two absolutely phenomenal resources for destinations in the Tetons: Grand Teton National Park - Grand Teton Park - Grand Teton Hikes and, particularly, Best of the Tetons, Area Info & Photography. This page provides an index of the author/photographer’s featured posts on the latter website: Archived Feature Posts. You will be a little early to see much fall color, but he has great articles on fall-foliage destinations in the Tetons, such as the following:

Fall in the Tetons: Tips for viewing and photographing the premiere season!

Fall at Oxbow Bend

Fall in the Snake River Canyon: (Note: The Snake River Canyon is one of those rare Rocky Mountain destinations where you have a good concentration of mountain maples, in addition to aspen, cottonwoods and willows, so you have an unusually varied color palette.

If I Had Only One Day in the Tetons

Incidentally, I understand the allure of Yellowstone; it has an assemblage of wildlife unrivaled in the lower 48 and a concentration of thermal features unsurpassed in the world. If, however, you most highly value rugged alpine topography, it does not hold a candle to Glacier National Park, the Tetons, Beartooths, Wind River Range (Wyoming), Sawtooth Mountains (Idaho), Maroon Bells (Colorado), or the San Juan Mountains, particularly the Sneffels Range, in southwestern Colorado. Incidentally, the San Juans are far more spectacular than Rocky Mountain National Park and much less heavily visited. This image (Sneffels Range Autumn | San Juan Mountains, Colorado) will give you an idea of what the latter range has to offer.

The Wind Rivers are not far to the southeast of the Tetons and comprise some of the most remote terrain anywhere in the country. The Green River Lakes area is an iconic and historic destination in the northern portion of that range. See Green River Lakes Campground and trails, Wyoming.

In the Northern Rockies, inclement weather destinations are always a good idea to have in your back pocket. Two excellent ones are the Buffalo Bill Center of the West (Buffalo Bill Center of the West | Museum in Cody, Wyoming) in Cody and the Museum of the Mountain Man in Pinedale (Museum of the Mountain Man).

P.S. If you ever want to specifically target peak fall color in the Northern Rockies, generally the last week of September and first week in October are best.
Thank you, will look into this info!

Reactions: vollygirl

worked in lake lodge in 03. probably bumped into you out there, or drank beers with you 🤟🏻😎 at the employee pub.

they took us on a covered wagon for a bonfire dinner in Hayden. Beer & chuckwagon stew over moonlight. Awesome sauce.

Loved it so much more in YNP than surrounding areas. Taking the girls when old enough

VN Store

Back