'19 CA QB JT Daniels (Georgia commit)

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/2018DIREC_NewLegislationSummary_20180522.pdf

See page 4 and 5 for the following:

In head count sports, to specify that an institution may replace a counter who voluntarily withdraws (e.g., transfer, official religious mission) from the institution during the academic year by providing the financial aid to another student-athlete, including an incoming student-athlete, beginning with the ensuing term (e.g., spring semester, winter or spring quarter) without making the second student-athlete a counter for the remainder of that academic year; further, in football, to specify that the departing student-athlete's aid may be canceled and a hearing opportunity is not required when the institution receives a signed statement from the student-athlete releasing the institution from its obligation to provide institutional financial aid and verifying the voluntary nature of the withdrawal.

In football, to specify that a student-athlete who has been in residence at the certifying institution for at least one academic year may receive athletically related financial aid for the first time without such aid counting as an initial award; further, in bowl subdivision football, to specify that a student-athlete who has been in residence at the certifying institution for at least one academic year may sign a financial aid agreement for the first time without counting toward the annual limit on signings.

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/2018DIREC_NewLegislationSummary_20180522.pdf

In head count sports, to specify that an institution may replace a counter who voluntarily withdraws (e.g., transfer, official religious mission) from the institution during the academic year by providing the financial aid to another student-athlete, including an incoming student-athlete, beginning with the ensuing term (e.g., spring semester, winter or spring quarter) without making the second student-athlete a counter for the remainder of that academic year; further, in football, to specify that the departing student-athlete's aid may be canceled and a hearing opportunity is not required when the institution receives a signed statement from the student-athlete releasing the institution from its obligation to provide institutional financial aid and verifying the voluntary nature of the withdrawal.

In football, to specify that a student-athlete who has been in residence at the certifying institution for at least one academic year may receive athletically related financial aid for the first time without such aid counting as an initial award; further, in bowl subdivision football, to specify that a student-athlete who has been in residence at the certifying institution for at least one academic year may sign a financial aid agreement for the first time without counting toward the annual limit on signings.
You forgot to tell us who was right.

Facts are only the 85 on scholarship at the time count and your ignorance on the matter is clear when you disagree with that

as for families of players I have never felt this message board was a good idea for them to be here and I dang sure don’t think the finances of what their kids education is costing them is something they should be expected to discuss here. That’s their business

Lol, their finances? Well the finances of a walk-on is that the walk-on pays his tuition. The finances of a scholarship player are that they don’t pay their tuition. “Those aren’t really finances”

Now, as for the 85, the only way a scholarship athletes counter would be removed is if they left the school or exhausted their eligibility.

Otherwise those individuals who get hurt and can’t play football anymore, wouldn’t have to “retire” to release a counter. They could just say hey I’m not playing football anymore but I’m going to remain at the University.

Also, the University can’t just issue an full-ride scholarship and then pull said full ride scholarship in a “counter sport” like football without grounds. Even Jeremy Banks who was dismissed from the Football team kept the counter for that year because he remained on scholarship otherwise what you are saying is they could have just taken his scholarship and say hey walk-on have this.

So, again my point is you are wrong and have no clue what you are talking about.

Reactions: butchna

Thank you for this btw lol @BruinVol should read it.

Plenty of others also talk about every QB transfer no matter who they are coming to TN. We didn't have room for him this year and we have a QB room that is full of talent and there was no way we were ever bringing in a new guy to the room in July and expect him to win the starting QB job. It never made sense to offer him and I don't think that we ever did.
FTR I didn't think taking him was a good idea unless he could play this year, but that's not what we were talking about. You said you would not believe we were after him unless the coaches said it. Don't think they can talk about recruits until they are signed. There were media people as well as AV talking about him and TN/LSU.

The part where the athlete has to release the school from financial obligation? Lol.

Lol

That rule is regarding the 85 rule being full and a player leaving mid season. It happened in hoops this year with Zach kent leaving and a walk on immediately going on scholarship whom has a year left by the way.

So yea there’s your proof against your ignorant take

@BruinVol alright so this settles it lol.

NCSA: What is a full-ride scholarship?

In 2015, NCAA Division 1 “Power 5” schools implemented a rule that essentially protected D1 student-athletes from having their athletic scholarship taken away for an athletics-related reason. So, if an athlete is not performing up to the coach’s expectations, they’re not at risk of losing their scholarship. However, this rule only applies to D1 schools in the Power 5 conferences: the Big Ten, Big 12, PAC-12, ACC, SEC and Notre Dame. This rule also applies only to athletes who signed their National Letter of Intent and scholarship agreement after January 2015 and who will be receiving an athletic scholarship in their first year.

Edit: Hint all three players last year received Full-Ride athletic scholarships in their first year.

@BruinVol alright so this settles it lol.

NCSA: What is a full-ride scholarship?

In 2015, NCAA Division 1 “Power 5” schools implemented a rule that essentially protected D1 student-athletes from having their athletic scholarship taken away for an athletics-related reason. So, if an athlete is not performing up to the coach’s expectations, they’re not at risk of losing their scholarship. However, this rule only applies to D1 schools in the Power 5 conferences: the Big Ten, Big 12, PAC-12, ACC, SEC and Notre Dame. This rule also applies only to athletes who signed their National Letter of Intent and scholarship agreement after January 2015 and who will be receiving an athletic scholarship in their first year.

Edit: Hint all three players last year received Full-Ride athletic scholarships in their first year.

Keep trying but you really don’t understand this

I’ll help you

PWO are being recruited under the understanding that when there is room under the 85 they will go on and off scholarship. They know this going in and are willing to sign off on the process. The alternative is saying no to any money at all and that’s crazy if you believe that. Those families aren’t turning down a fullRide for even one semester and I am sure very happy when they get it and not when they don’t.

You haven’t posted one single thing that proves that thinking wrong so please stop.

Lol

What part is important to our talk?

I’ll help you out none of it

That was more meant to address how walk ons are allowed to get a scholarship without it being a detriment to the team. The NCAA has a few by laws that encourage coaches to use all of their scholarships without it costing them later. The first part allows them to basically swap the counter from a voluntary transfer to a walk on with no penalty. The second part isn’t helpful. I thought Montgomery was in his second year. He and Solomon have to be initial counters

Keep trying but you really don’t understand this

I’ll help you

PWO are being recruited under the understanding that when there is room under the 85 they will go on and off scholarship. They know this going in and are willing to sign off on the process. The alternative is saying no to any money at all and that’s crazy if you believe that. Those families aren’t turning down a fullRide for even one semester and I am sure very happy when they get it and not when they don’t.

You haven’t posted one single thing that proves that thinking wrong so please stop.

Good Lord man if they are awarded a full-ride scholarship i their first year the university is obligated to the full-ride for the remainder of their time at the university lol. You are a clown.

It’s not like they sign an agreement as a Preferred Walk-on that says hey when we give you a full ride we are going to then take that back from you at the end of every calendar year lol.

That was more meant to address how walk ons are allowed to get a scholarship without it being a detriment to the team. The NCAA has a few by laws that encourage coaches to use all of their scholarships without it costing them later. The first part allows them to basically swap the counter from a voluntary transfer to a walk on with no penalty. The second part isn’t helpful. I thought Montgomery was in his second year. He and Solomon have to be initial counters

This was the end of their freshman year in which they were all awarded full-ride scholarships meaning they will remain on full-ride scholarships for the rest of their careers at UT until they extinguish eligibility or transfer.

Yea that part is very tricky and I don’t clAim to know the facts here but I’d bet a lot of $ those guys aren’t initial counters. If so we can’t sign near as many as well think this class

I know for a fact the NCAA has waivers for just about every rule so my guess is those walk ons last year were allowed to be put on scholarship for the spring semester only and not count as one of any classes 25 as long as it was for only one semester. Now I don’t know that is the case but that’s my guess

I just don’t see anyway they counted toward the 25 and yes the rule seems to say they much so who knows for sure

Lol.... so they didn’t get awarded Full-rides in 2019 which was their Freshman year?

The answer is yes they did.

They were awarded scholarships in the middle of their freshman years not the end like you said.

Tough day for you
Edit:Eggs on my face with that post. I misread your post. My apologies

They were awarded scholarships in the middle of their freshman years but the end like you said.

Tough day for you

Lol 😂 I wasn’t saying the end of the year is when the scholarship was awarded genius. I was making a point that by the end of 2019, they had been awarded scholarships. Which is inside of their Freshman year. Which means the rule I posted above is active and they are on full-ride and although these scholarships are “renewed every year on a yearly basis” they can’t just be pulled for any reason. There would have to be a reason to pull the scholarship, such as, academics, bad behavior, etc.

The coaches can’t just pull those scholarships because they feel like it.

Reactions: butchna
I'm curious as to why anyone ever thought this kid was coming to UT with our current QB room, I don't think that he was ever an option nor do I believe that he was ever offered, until I see a coach state otherwise.

Well, he's going to GA and look at their QB room. If he gets immediate eligibility he'd have been a good alternative to JG this year. Was under Tee Martin @ USC, so there was a relationship there. Any time a player of this caliber is available and you have a relationship, you'd be dumb not to try to bring him in. If nothing else to keep him away from the likes of UGA.

I prefer HB starts immediately. JG ain’t winning the East and at least HB has the potential. The rest of the pieces are in place. With this extended practice/fall camp coming up I’m hopeful that HB shows enough to win the job.
No Spring probably killed any shot of starting, at least right away. This season, for every team, is about who already has chemistry and returning players. That is where the edge is.

VN Store

Back