Refrigerators

volwindy

sunshine hiker
We are starting to research and look into a new fridge as we think ours is on its way out.

What do you have? Do you like it or hate it?
Good brands/ones to avoid?

No advice on brands or anything but around here both fridges and freezers are in low supply. You may have a lot of research time!

We bought a Frigidaire Galaxy last year for between 700-800 dollars from Famous Tate’s. We like it but I would be very upset if a new fridge had issues in the first year. Not sure what will happen this summer but the time around July 4 usually brings sales for appliances. We shopped and compared between Lowe’s, Best Buy’s, etc. The final decision (my wife’s) was more based on size and layout of interior as opposed to price.

Reactions: volwindy
We bought a Kenmore Elite. Wouldnt buy that again. Bought Samsung appliances for gues house and we are 0/2 (although that fridge is OK).

Knock wood... Our Whirlpool side-by-side has worked well so far (4 years). Finger print resistant stainless steel is a GOOD thang.

Reactions: Guest
I read Samsungs are not a good choice, but yet they seemed to be the most on display at Lowe's and HD today.

Agree, we bought all Samsung appliances for the guest house (at Home Depot). Wife made the choice since she liked the way they looked. No major issues, just not as functional as I would like. They just feel kinda cheaply made.

Model # WRS321SDHZ

I wish the freezer side was a bit larger. When we replace this one some day, we're going with the top frig and bottom freezer.

good luck on that. Murphy's law of bottom freezers says the food you are always looking for is on the very bottom.

I'll take a side by side any day over emptying the entire freezer for a bag of pizza rolls

Reactions: Go aeiou
good luck on that. Murphy's law of bottom freezers says the food you are always looking for is on the very bottom.

I'll take a side by side any day over emptying the entire freezer for a bag of pizza rolls
Yep. Thought about that too.

We have a whirlpool French door with freezer on the bottom. Been solid but the ice maker has been replaced
As far as the freezer on the bottom, there’s an internal basket that slides independently, and you learn to “file” things rather than stack them for easy location, and two big doors on top make finding things in the refrigerator so nice, especially since that is used much more by us

My GF has a year and a half old Samsung 3 door. It quit working the other day and she said the repair tech told her something like "it's either a relay or you'll have to buy a new one." It was a $1,500 fridge and that doesn't sound right to me. Any thoughts?

My GF has a year and a half old Samsung 3 door. It quit working the other day and she said the repair tech told her something like "it's either a relay or you'll have to buy a new one." It was a $1,500 fridge and that doesn't sound right to me. Any thoughts?
Google the model number. If it’s a common problem for that model, it’ll show up. Might be something easily fixed.
Call Samsung, If it’s a part that has failed a bunch, they “might” replace it for no charge. 1.5 years for $1500 is not good for that fridge

Reactions: 508mikey
Samsung fridge came with the house when we moved in last October. Only 6 months old prior to us moving in and the fridge started making a sound like a golf ball being knocked around repeatedly. Noise was horrible. Checked sensors, different parts, the usual fixes but essentially what happened was several models of Samsung fridges have a weird defect where the fridge doesn’t defrost properly and the fan seizes up. Only solution was to let it defrost for two days and then wait for it to happen again in a couple months. Bought a whirlpool because I don’t have time to deal with that and have been happy with it so far.

Have a Bosch side by side that came w the house we bought 5 years ago. I think the fridge is probably 7 years old. My only complaint is that the ice maker jams occasionally. A friend bought a Maytag French door fridge a couple years ago and loves it. I’d probably go w that if I had to get a new one.

I listen into a local radio show every saturday morning where people call in for advice on their homes, appliances, yards, trees, plants, etc. One of the hosts of the show was asked about appliances and said stay away from Samsung. He said Bosch (I believe German engineering) is the best out there right now.

We have an LG we're really happy with. As a bonus we didn't realize when we bought it that it had dual icemakers but with three teenagers they've come in real handy.

Reactions: volfanhill
Have a Bosch side by side that came w the house we bought 5 years ago. I think the fridge is probably 7 years old. My only complaint is that the ice maker jams occasionally. A friend bought a Maytag French door fridge a couple years ago and loves it. I’d probably go w that if I had to get a new one.
How's that weed whacker doing with the nut on the filter?

I listen into a local radio show every saturday morning where people call in for advice on their homes, appliances, yards, trees, plants, etc. One of the hosts of the show was asked about appliances and said stay away from Samsung. He said Bosch (I believe German engineering) is the best out there right now.
Bosch didn't make the top 5 on this list

https://www.goedekers.com/blog/these-5-brands-built-the-most-reliable-refrigerators-in-2019/

Also an LG, with french doors and freezer on the bottom. I don't think I'd do french doors again though.

Whatever brand you go with do purchase the extended warranty as your ice maker is going to have multiple issues within 2 years.

We have an LG we're really happy with. As a bonus we didn't realize when we bought it that it had dual icemakers but with three teenagers they've come in real handy.
We like our LG. French door style with two bottom freezer drawers.
Also an LG, with french doors and freezer on the bottom. I don't think I'd do french doors again though.

We actually really liked the LG we looked at, but are concerned as it seems there are compressor issues for a lot of people within 1-3 years. I noticed there are a couple open class action lawsuits as of last year. LG's response was to make parts and labor extended to five years.

VN Store

Back