Countdown to Kickoff vs South Carolina

107 days........

UT was looking for their first SEC win in 2010 when Ole Miss came to Knoxville. Tyler Bray threw 3 TDs and Tauren Poole ran for 107 yrds in the Vols 52-14 victory. Poole only had 12 carries and scored 2 TDs.
View attachment 281103

Also. I looked everywhere for some info, but no luck. In the 1905 loss to Sewanee, JH Caldwell returned a fumble 107 yards, which still stands as the longest fumble return in UT history.
View attachment 281106
We got a double shot.

106 days........ when I get to use my favorite Vol.......I’m a happy camper!

One of the biggest wins of the 1979 season was the Auburn win. Jimmy Streater, the Sylva Streak, had one of his best all around games of the season. Streater was 12-20 for 158 yards and a touchdown through the air, and ran 15 times for 106 yards and 2 TDs in the 35-17 victory!
I was very fortunate as a kid to have the opportunity to go to many UT games, and most of my fondest memories were of Streater. I never got a chance to meet him, but was able to speak with him on the phone a couple months before he died. One of the sports writers in Nashville, who is a good friend of mine, wrote an article about his career and his health issues. He gave me the name of the place he was staying in NC, and I called him. We talked for almost an hour. It was one of the most memorable moments of my life.I honestly felt like a 9 year old kid again. He talked about his love for UT and the fans......and the Auburn and Notre Dame games of ‘79 were his favorite moments.

3B837A7F-7A7A-458A-8344-236109C41C62.png2738EA53-E9ED-4266-9ABD-78A1CF7EEFF0.png

Last edited:

One of the biggest wins of the 1979 season was the Auburn win. Jimmy Streater, the Sylvia Streak, had one of his best all around games of the season. Streater was 12-20 for 158 yards and a touchdown through the air, and ran 15 times for 106 yards and 2 TDs in the 35-17 victory!
I was very fortunate as a kid to have the opportunity to go to many UT games, and most of my fondest memories were of Streater. I never got a chance to meet him, but was able to speak with him on the phone a couple months before he died. One of the sports writers in Nashville, who is a good friend of mine, wrote an article about his career and his health issues. He gave me the name of the place he was staying in NC, and I called him. We talked for almost an hour. It was one of the most memorable moments of my life.I honestly felt like a 9 year old kid again. He talked about his love for UT and the fans......and the Auburn and Notre Dame games of ‘79 were his favorite moments.View attachment 281501View attachment 281502
Wonderful heart warming story, thanks for sharing.

One of the biggest wins of the 1979 season was the Auburn win. Jimmy Streater, the Sylvia Streak, had one of his best all around games of the season. Streater was 12-20 for 158 yards and a touchdown through the air, and ran 15 times for 106 yards and 2 TDs in the 35-17 victory!
I was very fortunate as a kid to have the opportunity to go to many UT games, and most of my fondest memories were of Streater. I never got a chance to meet him, but was able to speak with him on the phone a couple months before he died. One of the sports writers in Nashville, who is a good friend of mine, wrote an article about his career and his health issues. He gave me the name of the place he was staying in NC, and I called him. We talked for almost an hour. It was one of the most memorable moments of my life.I honestly felt like a 9 year old kid again. He talked about his love for UT and the fans......and the Auburn and Notre Dame games of ‘79 were his favorite moments.View attachment 281501View attachment 281502

That's awesome Peay. Thanks for sharing

105 days........

When Colorado St visited Knoxville in 1975, the Vols were without Stanley Morgan and Larry Seivers. The stars were out or limited due to injuries. Back ups, Mike Gayles and John Yarbrough, picked up the slack in the 28-7 victory. Yarbrough caught 2TDs and Mike Gayles had 22 carries for 105 yards and 2 TDs. The efforts helped UT end a two game losing streak.

90A3C2C7-9DFC-406C-883D-1859C7803430.png

104 days........

In Lane Kiffin’s first game as HC at UT, Tyler Bray threw 5 TDs and Montario Hardesty ran for 160 yrds, but all the buzz was about prized freshman Bryce Brown. Brown ran 11 times for 104 yards and 1 TD. Kiffin and the Vols won 63-7 over Western Kentucky. Things started well for Brown and Kiffin, but we all know how they ended. What could have been?

7CE9AB5A-E5F0-46C7-84ED-B53BACCEF9C7.png

103 days........

1971, UT vs Florida, in Gainesville. The Vols were starting their 3rd different QB in 3 weeks. The game was tied at 13-13 late in the 3rd quarter. A Florida punt backed UT up inside the one yard line. 74 of the next 99 1/2 yards were gained by the passing and running of QB Phil Pierce. Pierce engineered a perfect drive that culminated with a 20 yrd TD pass to Stan Trott, giving Tennessee a 20-13 lead they would not relinquish. Pierce finished with 103 rushing yards. He finished the season with 105 yards. Many old timers consider it one of the best drives in UT history.

EDIT: This was the first win ever for the Vols with White Jerseys.

Pierce wearing #18 at practice

A00A65AD-36F7-4ED3-9F75-DC3183651D90.png

Pierce in 1970 after being moved to CB for 1 year.
82209168-D1B9-4EBA-9FE2-7F3DED6ED53D.png

Last edited:
103 days........

1971, UT vs Florida, in Gainesville. The Vols were starting their 3rd different QB in 3 weeks. The game was tied at 13-13 late in the 3rd quarter. A Florida punt backed UT up inside the one yard line. 74 of the next 99 1/2 yards were gained by the passing and running of QB Phil Pierce. Pierce engineered a perfect drive that culminated with a 20 yrd TD pass to Stan Trott, giving Tennessee a 20-13 lead they would not relinquish. Pierce finished with 103 rushing yards. He finished the season with 105 yards. Many old timers consider it one of the best drives in UT history.

Pierce wearing #18 at practice

View attachment 282393

Pierce in 1970 after being moved to CB
View attachment 282394
Phil Pierce rose to the occasion:cool:

After watching Pruitt speak at the Windham in Atlanta, it’s obvious he been hanging out with Jim Chaney, his gut agrees

Reactions: OneManGang
102 days.......

This was too easy. On January 1, 1986, the Vols played #2 Miami in the Sugar Bowl. Huge underdogs, the Vols would spot the ‘Canes a 7-0 lead. Led by MVP Darryl Dickey, a stout defense, and an unsung hero in Jeff Powell , the Vols would score 35 unanswered points for a 35-7 victory. Powell only carried the ball 11 times, but gained 102 yards, including a 60 yard touchdown that all but wrapped up the victory. His run is on a short list of the greatest plays in UT history. The Sugar Vols are still beloved today, as they were in ‘85.

ps......remember our hero’s today!

6E965DF2-9AE0-45FC-B208-BDB8F499E1ED.png

102 days.......

This was too easy. On January 1, 1986, the Vols played #2 Miami in the Sugar Bowl. Huge underdogs, the Vols would spot the ‘Canes a 7-0 lead. Led by MVP Darryl Dickey, a stout defense, and an unsung hero in Jeff Powell , the Vols would score 35 unanswered points for a 35-7 victory. Powell only carried the ball 11 times, but gained 102 yards, including a 60 yard touchdown that all but wrapped up the victory. His run is on a short list of the greatest plays in UT history. The Sugar Vols are still beloved today, as they were in ‘85.

ps......remember our hero’s today!

View attachment 282590
Awesome run by Jeff Powell:cool:

VN Store

Back