What does everyone think about our WR unit?

Ill disagree with you on his size. Wideman is 6'5, 200 pounds with the ability to put on more weight in a college conditioning program.
I thought he was closer to 6'3 180. If he's 6'5 200+ then I'd agree with you, he just doesn't look anywhere near 6'5 200 to me.

agreed. and one thing that's never really been questioned about JG was him in practice. by all accounts he's been excellent in practice.

which is one of the things i was really looking forward to about spring.....my take was simple...if any of the other guys, HB included, could beat JG out in spring, or at minimum come out of spring even, then that would have to mean someting rather significant....

that we didn't get that, i think hurts everyone all the way around.....anxious to see how it all shakes out once they can get back on the field.

anyway, the expectation was that JG would get pushed w/the additon of Bailey, and shrout and maurer also entering year 2 of chaney, and from a practice/preparation standpoint, the other guys would get a good glimpse of what they need to do to get where they want to be....based on what the coaches already think of JG from a practice and preparation standpoint.
Based on the remaining questions even after last year... I think JG had as much to prove in the Spring as anyone. He had at least as tough of a challenge trying to overcome his fatal flaw.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
Once again, I don't dislike BM, he's simply here at UT at the wrong time.
You can sell that to someone else. You nitpicked the kid and tried to blame a freak neck injury on him not being physically prepared to play.

Brandon Stewart and Colquitt are 2 UT QBs that I thought were here at the wrong time.
LOL. You seriously think Maurer has a Shuler or Manning ahead of him on the depth chart?

He's got talent but Tennessee was the wrong program to come to where he could take a couple of years to develop. He would have been much better off at a program where he could play and take his lumps a couple of years and develop. You may not agree but Bailey signing ended UT investing too much into BM. Pruitt will never be able to sign another blue chip kid at QB if Bailey doesn't get his shot by next year.
I have said that Maurer's window is this year... repeatedly. Do you have any proof that the coaches do not have enough faith in Maurer's talent to invest in him... or is that just your dislike seeping out again?

I want the ball in the hands of a guy like that as well and we've got several in this group. I just feel like he is going to have to bulk up a bit to be effective. I think at times fans don't realize how big and strong you have to be to be successful in the SEC.
If your fast, elusive and great with the ball in your hands, you don't have to be the most physical/strongest player on the field. Wideman will be just fine and wouldn't be surprised to see him be one of the guys that provide an early impact as a freshman.

Best group we've had coming in for quite some time I feel. This group is loaded I think. Wideman reminds me a bit of Pickens, you have to be excited about Hyatt's speed and Beckwiths blend of size and speed. The only question I have is whether or not the receiving core can hold up to the physical play early vs Ok and Fl.
Very true... They will have to be strong AND cocky, that is if they are as good as we think and hope.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
You can sell that to someone else. You nitpicked the kid and tried to blame a freak neck injury on him not being physically prepared to play.

LOL. You seriously think Maurer has a Shuler or Manning ahead of him on the depth chart?

I have said that Maurer's window is this year... repeatedly. Do you have any proof that the coaches do not have enough faith in Maurer's talent to invest in him... or is that just your dislike seeping out again?
What does what type of player is ahead of you have anything to do with this. It doesn't matter if it's an all pro or a dud, if someone is ahead of you on the depth chart why does it matter how good they are? BM started some games and finished the year 2nd on the depth chart behind experience and many believe Bailey will be next in line once that experience leaves, so yes, his situation is exactly like those 2 as his path to being our starter is likely being blocked by not 1 but 2 players on the roster. I said he needed to add muscle and weight to his frame and that him not being able to stay in a game physically past halftime was a problem, I've no idea what his injury was but it didn't look like a neck injury to me, looked to me like he got his bell rung 3 or 4 times. I still contend that he wasn't physically ready to play this past season. My guess is that he's not where he could be physically today either as I'm sure his injury set him back in workouts and I'm sure the world virus hasn't helped him much with his strength either. Get it right if you want to try and get at somebody. You're terrible at the gotcha game, which is just a stupid and immature way to be in life i think, always looking to try and make someone look bad, must make you feel good.

What does what type of player is ahead of you have anything to do with this. It doesn't matter if it's an all pro or a dud, if someone is ahead of you on the depth chart why does it matter how good they are?
Seriously? You asked that? The gap between #1 and #2 doesn't matter when #2 is considering a transfer? Maurer in his second year is MUCH closer to beating out JG than Colquitt was to beating out Shuler. IIRC, Stewart was gone and Manning firmly established even before their Soph year.

BM started some games and finished the year 2nd on the depth chart behind experience and many believe Bailey will be next in line once that experience leaves, so yes, his situation is exactly like those 2 as his path to being our starter is likely being blocked by not 1 but 2 players on the roster.
Only if you are sitting here and somehow claiming that JG has been as good as Shuler or Manning.

There is a ton of hype around HB and I hope every word of it is true. But Maurer is a talented guy and has the advantage of mobility. I think rather than trying to put them in some line order... I'll see what happens when they compete. I've already said that Maurer's window is beating JG out this year. If he cannot do it then he is unlikely to have what it takes to hold off Bailey and Salter. If he can then you may see Bailey transfer instead of Maurer.

I don't really care as long as UT gets MUCH, MUCH better QB play than it has had for the last 3 years with JG.

I said he needed to add muscle and weight to his frame and that him not being able to stay in a game physically past halftime was a problem, I've no idea what his injury was but it didn't look like a neck injury to me, looked to me like he got his bell rung 3 or 4 times.
Either way, it has ZERO to do with muscle or weight. It has to do with how you get hit... and also some innate things about you. Some guys can take hits better than others.

JG was not much if any "bigger" than Maurer when he was getting brutalized as a RS Fr. Some people just have more problems with concussions than others. JG has always taken a hit well. Maurer could be one of those guys whose head won't take it.... absolutely NOTHING to do with size, weight, or conditioning.

I still contend that he wasn't physically ready to play this past season. My guess is that he's not where he could be physically today either as I'm sure his injury set him back in workouts and I'm sure the world virus hasn't helped him much with his strength either.
Why would a concussion suffered last year prevent him from working out then or now? This is why I think you simply don't like him. You make stuff up like this to dismiss him.

If the team hasn't been working out... they're going to get slaughtered. But I'm pretty sure they have though perhaps not together.

Get it right if you want to try and get at somebody. You're terrible at the gotcha game, which is just a stupid and immature way to be in life i think, always looking to try and make someone look bad, must make you feel good.
Pretty much nailed you. You continue with this non-sense that he wasn't physically ready because he took a freak hit and landed on his head. You have NEVER explained the relationship between physical readiness and a concussion caused by falling on your head.... but you keep playing it as if there was something deficient in Maurer.

Seriously? You asked that? The gap between #1 and #2 doesn't matter when #2 is considering a transfer? Maurer in his second year is MUCH closer to beating out JG than Colquitt was to beating out Shuler. IIRC, Stewart was gone and Manning firmly established even before their Soph year.

Only if you are sitting here and somehow claiming that JG has been as good as Shuler or Manning.

There is a ton of hype around HB and I hope every word of it is true. But Maurer is a talented guy and has the advantage of mobility. I think rather than trying to put them in some line order... I'll see what happens when they compete. I've already said that Maurer's window is beating JG out this year. If he cannot do it then he is unlikely to have what it takes to hold off Bailey and Salter. If he can then you may see Bailey transfer instead of Maurer.

I don't really care as long as UT gets MUCH, MUCH better QB play than it has had for the last 3 years with JG.

Either way, it has ZERO to do with muscle or weight. It has to do with how you get hit... and also some innate things about you. Some guys can take hits better than others.

JG was not much if any "bigger" than Maurer when he was getting brutalized as a RS Fr. Some people just have more problems with concussions than others. JG has always taken a hit well. Maurer could be one of those guys whose head won't take it.... absolutely NOTHING to do with size, weight, or conditioning.

Why would a concussion suffered last year prevent him from working out then or now? This is why I think you simply don't like him. You make stuff up like this to dismiss him.

If the team hasn't been working out... they're going to get slaughtered. But I'm pretty sure they have though perhaps not together.

Pretty much nailed you. You continue with this non-sense that he wasn't physically ready because he took a freak hit and landed on his head. You have NEVER explained the relationship between physical readiness and a concussion caused by falling on your head.... but you keep playing it as if there was something deficient in Maurer.
Same ol schtick, blah blah blah. Check out concussion protocol and let me know what you think about what it allows when it comes to working out. I said him not working out while injured hindered his physical development, if you have to take nearly 2 months off from working out when you are in the early stages of S&C it is a setback. Just because you can't put 2&2 together doesn't mean something has been made up.

Same ol schtick, blah blah blah. Check out concussion protocol and let me know what you think about what it allows when it comes to working out. I said him not working out while injured hindered his physical development, if you have to take nearly 2 months off from working out when you are in the early stages of S&C it is a setback. Just because you can't put 2&2 together doesn't mean something has been made up.
You do realize he was actually cleared to play from the UK game on, right? So you're saying he was cleared to play but NOT cleared to lift weights and throw against air or in 7 on 7?

I put "2 & 2" together just fine. That's why I can see what you do clearly.

Not surprising you avoided the answer to your obviously ridiculous argument about how the ability of the guy in front of you has nothing to do with your decision whether to compete or leave....

You do realize he was actually cleared to play from the UK game on, right? So you're saying he was cleared to play but NOT cleared to lift weights and throw against air or in 7 on 7?

I put "2 & 2" together just fine. That's why I can see what you do clearly.

Not surprising you avoided the answer to your obviously ridiculous argument about how the ability of the guy in front of you has nothing to do with your decision whether to compete or leave....
Once again, it doesn't matter. You think it matters because you think he's got a chance this season to beat out JG and HB, we'll see, I'm saying he's not going to beat out JG this year or HB next, so once again, why does it matter, my whole point has always been he was going to lose out to JG and HB and likely to not get much playing time at UT? I also think it's unrealistic to think HB was recruited here to sit the bench behind BM for 2-3 years. If you can't tell that BM is the QB that's most likely to get pinched then no point in talking with you about it. It's not that hard to assume that scenario either.

Once again, it doesn't matter. You think it matters because you think he's got a chance this season to beat out JG and HB, we'll see, I'm saying he's not going to beat out JG this year or HB next, so once again, why does it matter, my whole point has always been he was going to lose out to JG and HB and likely to not get much playing time at UT? I also think it's unrealistic to think HB was recruited here to sit the bench behind BM for 2-3 years. If you can't tell that BM is the QB that's most likely to get pinched then no point in talking with you about it. It's not that hard to assume that scenario either.

Re-read your first sentence... you just can't help yourself. Freudian slip even when you're trying to say the right thing. You correct yourself... but the bias seeped out... again.

It "matters" because a guy's chances of actually winning the position plays into the decision on whether to transfer or not. Simple as that. You may have misspoken... but you earlier argued that it did not.

I make no assumptions about who will become the better QB... unlike you... due to your bias. Maurer has talent. HB has talent. Shrout has talent. Who rises to the top depends on a lot of things but the biggest one is how they take their natural gifts and convert them to the skills needed to be the best... and also when if ever.

AGAIN, I have said pretty consistently that I think Maurer's window is this year. If he is not talented enough to beat out a marginal QB like JG in his second year then he will probably be passed by HB or Salter next year.

Reactions: JOHN ROCKER
Long on talent, short on experience. I think they'll do well IF we can find a QB that can get them the ball consistently.

Reactions: sjt18

VN Store

Back