What does everyone think about our WR unit?

PulaskiVolFan

Lots of new faces but lots of new weapons as well. Palmer reminds me a bit of Donte Stallworth in that he always seems to be able to get open and has great hands, I think he's a solid go to guy and capable of an All-SEC type season. As for the rest, it's a bunch of unknowns really save Johnson. I think by season's end our main 4 WRs will be Palmer, Keyton, Beckwith and Johnson with Gibbs getting most of the backups receptions. Wideman and Hyatt will play but I believe both may end up just playing 4 games and redshirting as they both need to add size and strength even though both are exceptional athletes.

Lots of new faces but lots of new weapons as well. Palmer reminds me a bit of Donte Stallworth in that he always seems to be able to get open and has great hands, I think he's a solid go to guy and capable of an All-SEC type season. As for the rest, it's a bunch of unknowns really save Johnson. I think by season's end our main 4 WRs will be Palmer, Keyton, Beckwith and Johnson with Gibbs getting most of the backups receptions. Wideman and Hyatt will play but I believe both may end up just playing 4 games and redshirting as they both need to add size and strength even though both are exceptional athletes.
Doesn't matter with JG at QB. They need a QB like Andy Kelly to excel.

Palmer is ready for a breakout season and I expect him to do so. But, I like our other playmakers out there.
Johnson will be solid in the slot as a possession type running great routes. He has Bobby Graham skills imo. Awesome when 3rd and 8 etc.
Gibbs is a phenomenal athlete that has big play potential. In his 2nd season here, I expect him to be ready to contribute.
Jones of course is lightening fast and has experience. WRs of his type demand a little. More cushion. He hasn't lit it up so far, but he's got production and another yr of experience. Excited @ him too.
Keyton has hopefully hit the weight room. Dudes got really good skill and athleticism. With the extra muscle and confidence he'll be another producer and deep threat.
Cedric Tillman is a big body and in his 3rd year. He's another athlete who can make waves.
Malachi Wideman, Jalin Hyatt, Jimmy Calloway, and Dee Beckwith ALL have potential to make FR waves.
We are in great shape at the position this year IMO. Maybe a hair below last year's #1 position group (imo). But not far behind and probably more speed and deep threat ability.

From what I've seen of Wideman's film, he could be the best WR we've had is a long time--reminds me a little of Randy Moss (another stud basketball player that also played football). Does he have the work ethic to be great? Time will tell. He has the talent.

Very talented and multifaceted.
Malachi Wideman could start. Keyton came on strong.

Palmer is not a number 1. He's talented, but he's not s number one.

Not sure what's going with Gibbs.

Jaylin Hyatt comes from that same program as Bryce Thompson and is agame breaker just like he was, except faster. We needed Bryce at CB. Had he stayed at WR, he would be in the convo for All-SEC at the slot this upcoming season imo.

Jones is fast. We'll see...

Beckwith might have the most all-purpose TDs

its just plain wrong, the players read this stuff
It is just plain wrong. Hoping that JG takes a Michael Jordan attitude--rather than take it as criticism, use it as motivation and PROVE detractors wrong. That's what made Jordan the greatest. Whenever he had the opportunity to use something someone said or did to motivate him, he turned that into laser focus and made them regret the slight--even if it was just imagined.

It is just plain wrong. Hoping that JG takes a Michael Jordan attitude--rather than take it as criticism, use it as motivation and PROVE detractors wrong. That's what made Jordan the greatest. Whenever he had the opportunity to use something someone said or did to motivate him, he turned that into laser focus and made them regret the slight--even if it was just imagined.

If he hasn't done it by now.......

He looked so bad against Indiana. Maybe his worst game, and that's saying a lot.

He has enough talent around him to get 7 maybe 8 wins. That's fine. Better than where we were a few years ago.

There are some talented WR's on this team. Not concerned about that group

Very talented group and could be a great year!

There‘s VERY capable talent in the barn. I also believe that Tee will have them ready to impress when they hit the field. As you’ve noted, we’ve got a 5* redshirt in Gibbs and several other very talented receivers such as Velus Jones (USC transfer) who’ve been brought in. Our 2020 Incoming freshman receivers are Special:

FL WR Malachi Wideman ★★★★
6'4" 197lbs
247 Composite: (.9492)

SC WR Jalin Hyatt ★★★★
6' 162lbs
247 Composite: (.9218)

GA WR Jimmy Calloway ★★★★ (Will Surprise)
5'11" 166lbs
247 Composite: (.9197)

AL WR Dee Beckwith ★★★ ( Should be 4* )
6'4" 215lbs
247 Composite: (.8884)

Last edited:
Yes. The team’s success completely depends on a Qb good enough to put JG on the bench.
Sorry for the long response but

It’s not about being “good enough” because every one of them are. I hate to say it but I think it’s on Pruitt to INVEST the time in another qb for there to even be a chance of that happening. I’ve said it before and I’ll stick to my opinion that the qb change last year is what turned the team around. JGs play got “better” as a result of being pushed by a very capable freshman when the time came that Pruitt had no choice. It took all of one game when, in his post game press conference, it became clear that Pruitt was looking to switch back to JG AS SOON as there was a reason to say “I told you so”. My point is this..... had Pruitt INVESTED the same time/confidence into Maurer that he gave JG leading up to the start of the season, regardless if JG started, Maurer would’ve been more “ready” to take on UF, UGA and Bama in the second half because adjustments could’ve been made to counter their adjustments. Instead, we seen Pruitt putting JG on a pedestal and tearing down the confidence of Maurer and Shrout.

I’m sorry to anyone that disagrees but until Pruitt learns that qbs are unlike any other position and you GOTTA to let them “play through” their mistakes to get better, there will be no qb “good enough” to unseat anyone. EVERY qb will play in fear of making mistakes and being benched. Just remember that Manning set the int record his rookie year with the Colts. Without the SUPPORT of his coaches to work through those issues, Peyton wouldn’t have become one of the greatest qbs to ever play and the Colts would’ve never sniffed the playoffs, much less win a SB.

Reactions: mattlock3tt

VN Store

Back