Future Coach

Another thought, it’s not like Barnes was highly sought after Texas canned him. We were lucky to hire him AND keep him this past year imo with the success he has had.

Barnes will hopefully have us in a much better position when he leaves to make a good hire, but it won’t be a big name like some are insinuating on here.

Tennessee has been elevated, why shouldn’t we be able to hire a Buzz Williams or an Eric Musselmann?

Tennessee has been elevated, why shouldn’t we be able to hire a Buzz Williams or an Eric Musselmann?
Are those big name, highly sought after coaches? I’m not being sarcastic, I really don’t know. I agree BTO, we have been elevated, we have the resources and curb appeal. It is a much more attractive job now. But when has Tennessee Basketball ever been able to get a P5 coach to make a lateral move to UT?

Are those big name, highly sought after coaches? I’m not being sarcastic, I really don’t know. I agree BTO, we have been elevated, we have the resources and curb appeal. It is a much more attractive job now. But when has Tennessee Basketball ever been able to get a P5 coach to make a lateral move to UT?

Yes, Williams especially was a big name coach, Musselman was considered one of the hottest mid-major coaches out there. I’m not suggesting we are gonna hire Coach K or Izzo, but there’s no reason we shouldn’t be able to hire what is considered to be “a very good hire” and well known name.

I don't think that Cuonzo is as bad of a coach as it appears.
I’m starting to understand why you and Bruin are fussing all the time. Cuonzo has had 3 different P5 jobs and if MZ continues on their current trend he will have left each program in worse shape than when he arrived. That’s says all that needs be said about his ability to head a major program. Might be a good guy with good principles but he’s not a good P5 head coach and he’s gotten rich proving it to everyone.

I’m starting to understand why you and Bruin are fussing all the time. Cuonzo has had 3 different P5 jobs and if MZ continues on their current trend he will have left each program in worse shape than when he arrived. That’s says all that needs be said about his ability to head a major program. Might be a good guy with good principles but he’s not a good P5 head coach and he’s gotten rich proving it to everyone.

I posted my reasons to support the comment. Cuonzo actually had 3 winning seasons at TN in 3 years, progressing each year. He's still only one of two coaches to win 3 NCAAT games for TN. His winning percentage is higher than Wade's, KO's, Buzz's, and Devoe's. He had an even higher winning percentage at Cal... not exactly a traditional basketball power. He's coached 9 nine years in the P-5 and only the last 2 were below .500 and even those were 1 and 2 games below .500. But his last two years at Missouri aren't relevant to my point that he could have been quite successful had things played out differently at TN... especially Bruce not lurking around while some idiot fans were more supportive of him than of CCM. With a good staff, great recruits, and supportive fans Cuonzo could have gotten things rolling at TN same as he did at Missouri State.

Wtf is wrong with our fanbase? Let’s hire an assistant that has never been a head coach? I love English, but goodness we should shoot higher. We are a Top 3 team in the SEC and a Top 20 program, Top 3 national attendance the last couple years and regularly Top 10.

Texas A&M hired Buzz Williams, Arkansas hired previous head coach who had won a lot at a high level MM in Eric Musselman and Alabama hired one of the hot young names who had won at the MM level...but we should settle for a guy never to be a HC?
We could always hire Kara Lawson...

Kim Anderson won 27 games in 3 years at Missouri, 8 conference wins in that span...CCM has won 40 games in 3 years and 22 conference wins in that same span. Not sure how you think Zo would be leaving Missouri in worse shape than he found it.

Kim Anderson won 27 games in 3 years at Missouri, 8 conference wins in that span...CCM has won 40 games in 3 years and 22 conference wins in that same span. Not sure how you think Zo would be leaving Missouri in worse shape than he found it.
Check their home attendance - lowest in 20+ years. Check their recruiting. Appears to be a loss of interest in the program by the talent and support. Maybe he will turn it around but it appears MZ basketball is on a downward trajectory

Wonder why CM keeps getting ran off by these other programs if he’s so good of a coach?
Seems like Zo does most of the running before failure catches up to him. Left Tennessee in bad shape, left Cal in bad shape. Both before it became evident that the wheels were about to fall off.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Seems like Zo does most of the running before failure catches up to him. Left Tennessee in bad shape, left Cal in bad shape. Both before it became evident that the wheels were about to fall off.

Cuonzo left TN in worse shape AFTER he quit. As the ex-coach he did not encourage recruits or current players to honor their commitments to UT. If he stayed, he would have had a down year. But based on his improved recruiting at Cal and MZ he could have gotten TN back on track. He evolved and became a better recruiter. While at UT he would stop pursuing recruits that turned him down... honoring their decision and being too respectful to the program that they chose. At MZ he figured out how to work the gray area by giving an assistant's job to a highly rated recruit's father. He became more aggressive and successful. He still needed to learn how to build up team chemistry (without the us versus them BS that he used in year 3 at UT). He was signing big time players after exiting TN. But Barnes is in a whole different league as far as evaluating and managing players.

If Bruce hadn't been lurking around, Cuonzo's relationship with UT fans would have been far better. We have some idiot fans, but they are everywhere. Ours did themselves no favors with their stupid petition to rehire Bruce. That's not a good look... especially for recruits. If Bruce was a decent person he would have come out with a strong message that Cuonzo was the TN coach and the fans should support him. Instead he was a self serving attention who**. Cuonzo wasn't perfect either. He shopped himself around on UT's dime. He was in California crootin' for TN (right)... but was actually job hunting for himself. I don't want either of those two to ever coach at UT again. But as I said many posts ago, Cuonzo could have been successful at TN. Today he's damaged goods and should probably go back to the MM that he was at before jumping to TN/Cal/Mizz. But he is now about $20,000,000 wealthier. Well played, Cuonzo.

Cuonzo left TN in worse shape AFTER he quit. As the ex-coach he did not encourage recruits or current players to honor their commitments to UT. If he stayed, he would have had a down year. But based on his improved recruiting at Cal and MZ he could have gotten TN back on track. He evolved and became a better recruiter. While at UT he would stop pursuing recruits that turned him down... honoring their decision and being too respectful to the program that they chose. At MZ he figured out how to work the gray area by giving an assistant's job to a highly rated recruit's father. He became more aggressive and successful. He still needed to learn how to build up team chemistry (without the us versus them BS that he used in year 3 at UT). He was signing big time players after exiting TN. But Barnes is in a whole different league as far as evaluating and managing players.

If Bruce hadn't been lurking around, Cuonzo's relationship with UT fans would have been far better. We have some idiot fans, but they are everywhere. Ours did themselves no favors with their stupid petition to rehire Bruce. That's not a good look... especially for recruits. If Bruce was a decent person he would have come out with a strong message that Cuonzo was the TN coach and the fans should support him. Instead he was a self serving attention who**. Cuonzo wasn't perfect either. He shopped himself around on UT's dime. He was in California crootin' for TN (right)... but was actually job hunting for himself. I don't want either of those two to ever coach at UT again. But as I said many posts ago, Cuonzo could have been successful at TN. Today he's damaged goods and should probably go back to the MM that he was at before jumping to TN/Cal/Mizz. But he is now about $20,000,000 wealthier. Well played, Cuonzo.
Good post, I agree with most of it

Reactions: beamerman
Check their home attendance - lowest in 20+ years. Check their recruiting. Appears to be a loss of interest in the program by the talent and support. Maybe he will turn it around but it appears MZ basketball is on a downward trajectory
Huh? What was their attendance this year, guessing it wasn’t under 6,294? And the recruiting statement also doesn’t really make sense, did you base any of your statement on facts?

Attendance under Anderson:
2015- 8,064
2016- 6,294
2017- 9,930

Attendance under Zo:
2018- 15,061
2019- 10,253
2020-???

Recruiting under Anderson:
2014- 11th
2015- 49th
2016- 68th