2020-21 Season. JG Potential

Will JG be a top-5 SEC QB this season?

• Total voters
With the way we're recruiting and the way we finished out the season, I'm starting to believe more and more in the potential of JG's senior season. There's not a lot of proven high-quality talent at the QB position in the SEC this year, and I believe that with another year under Chaney and Weinke, JG could have a breakout senior season akin to Crompton's senior season with Kiffin. What are your thoughts on JG's potential for this season? I think he ends up top-5 in the SEC this year (given, a lot of that is due to a lack of high-end competition such as Burrow and Tua).
Ive got some ocean front property in Arizona....

Not the same throw. Once again, he has not made the throw. If you can show me BM throwing to the back of the endzone for a TD with JJ between 3 defenders while both getting drilled then I'll agree with you, until then I'm firm the film doesn't yet exist vs anyone other than a HS team or throwing target at a Super 11 event.
I’m beginning to question your authenticity of being “in recruiting”. The Opening is the single most important qb competition in the nation and you call it a joke? Kids DREAM of making it there from childhood but it’s a crock of chit? But you’re “in recruiting”? Recruiters drool over the qbs that make it to that competition. Especially the ones that do well in it. but YOU think it’s BS. Smh.... like I said, had HB finished higher than Maurer than you’d be singing a different tune.

There’s no doubt that JG was hit harder and the throw was different. Your argument was he hadn’t made “a single throw with a defender bearing down” and that was a example.

I’m beginning to question your authenticity of being “in recruiting”. The Opening is the single most important qb competition in the nation and you call it a joke? Kids DREAM of making it there from childhood but it’s a crock of chit? But you’re “in recruiting”? Recruiters drool over the qbs that make it to that competition. Especially the ones that do well in it. but YOU think it’s BS. Smh.... like I said, had HB finished higher than Maurer than you’d be singing a different tune.

There’s no doubt that JG was hit harder and the throw was different. Your argument was he hadn’t made “a single throw with a defender bearing down” and that was a example.
The kids that go to that event don't need our service, most D1 guys don't need our service and they sure don't need that event to get recruited. It also has zero bearing on what type of player that QB is going to be and it also places false labels on kids with JG being a perfect example by being rated as a DT when anyone with a brain could tell from day 1 that he wasn't that type QB. I've never watched the event, never watched a football showcase as I've never had a need or want to so I've no idea what HB did in the show or BM either. College coaches value kids that win state championships, especially those that play in tough divisions, Pruitt and our staff bring it up all the time when speaking about new recruits. I've told you several times the reasons I feel BM is not ready to be the face of this program and you continue to reference some competition performed in shorts vs air most likely.

Last edited:

I saw one in the last two years which could be considered Manningesque. That’s it.

Has all the physical tools to be an All SEC QB. Has had incredible toughness in his time here.

His problem has been between the ears. Stares down receivers, holds the ball too long/late on throws, and cannot consistently make good reads.

My prediction is he will start the season but won't stay there long.
JG has chronic “Deer in the Headlights” disease. If not corrected by year two of development then he has it for life unfortunately. Flash forward to JG telling his grandchildren someday “Yeah I was a Vol Qb in my youth, It’s was a tough racket“. Courtesy of Alec Baldwin in Glengary Glenn Ross.

Reactions: FLVOL_79
lol.

Statistic: a fact or piece of data from a study of a large quantity of numerical data.

I suspect you struggle not only with math, but with words as well.

That being said, I am willing to bet that if you try hard enough you can probably polish a turd by adjusting the factual stats in regards to playing time and offensive philosophy. Make sure to have an * by those noting the changes due to being benched and not allowed to run more than a handful of plays from the playbook due to general inability to be good. I'm sure you can probably adjust stats due to moon phases, barometric pressure, and what type of knot JG used on his cleats. I look forward to your in depth analysis!
Nobody is trying to polish JG, how is saying JG was top half of the conference because his stats say so saying he's a great QB? He's what his stats say he was last year, top 5-7 in the league in most relevant stats. He didn't have a good year, so maybe that's why he was just top half and not top 3. You trying to continuously dump on the kid by saying he's terrible just because you say so and then you can't produce evidence that he's not top half of the league is weird to me when you can clearly see the stats layed out in front of you. You neverJG guys are on record saying we've reached our ceiling with JG and won't win but 8 max because of it, I simply disagree with that and believe we'll have a good year and JG will play a role in that.

Reactions: k-town_king
With the way we're recruiting and the way we finished out the season, I'm starting to believe more and more in the potential of JG's senior season. There's not a lot of proven high-quality talent at the QB position in the SEC this year, and I believe that with another year under Chaney and Weinke, JG could have a breakout senior season akin to Crompton's senior season with Kiffin. What are your thoughts on JG's potential for this season? I think he ends up top-5 in the SEC this year (given, a lot of that is due to a lack of high-end competition such as Burrow and Tua).
JG has heart and loves TN. However I've seen NOTHING to indicate he's a Top SEC QB. Remember the goal line disaster vs. Bama last year?

No he was not better. Shrout, Maurer, Bailey, Hill and even Holiday and Beckwith in wildcat formations would be more productive than JG. I’m not joking, JG is that bad.
No, your are that dense apparently.
Also Bailey and Holiday were not on the roster last year genius.

He was way, way, way, way, way, way,way better than Maurer and Shrout.

No, your are that dense apparently.
Also Bailey and Holiday were not on the roster last year genius.

He was way, way, way, way, way, way,way better than Maurer and Shrout.
Really showed in how the offense moved/responded to each qb. 😉

Jerry Colquitt was noted as a team leader for UT on the 92 and 93 squads. Do you even know who he was?

[quote[They said even with a few shaky performances the team wants JG out there and think he is the best option.
So even if "they" said that about LAST season... how exactly does that mean he will be the best option this year?

Which ones? Do you have some references or is it like your "proof" that he wasn't one of the worst RZ QB's in the SEC last fall? Many in the media recognize that he is a limited QB. Few if any have called him elite or upper tier.

There are two lies embedded in this statement. One, lots of people recognize he isn't what you think he is. They don't hate him... they're just objective. Two, he was the best only in the sense that a broken middle finger is "better" than a broken thumb.

The "best" was so bad that coaches tried two guys who obviously were NOT ready to play... but your attempt to once again escape his VERY real issues by lowering the standard... is noted and outed.[/QUOTE]
JC was not a team leader those years. lmao He was a bench player. We had Jr and Sr leaders on all those 90s teams. A backup underclassmen was not a team leader. Stop lying to make a point. I know its hard for you.
He was considered a leader the year he was going to start then tore his knee up. Of course he was . He was a Sr starter like JG by then.

JG was the best on the roster. Barring Bailey coming in like Trevor Lawrence or Holiday surprising everyone then he will be the best we have on the roster again.

Who here has called him elite? You are arguing non arguments to distract from the point.

JG was the best on the roster. He was a top six at worst SEC starter last year by any metric you choose from stats to team wins. He will most likely be top 5 if Bailey doesn't start.

The media said repeatedly that JG is the best option and the team looks to him for leadership. I'm not going to link anything. Listen to some UT focused talk radio or read some articles. I'm already educating you now. I don't have time to hold your hand and link well known sentiments.

Really showed in how the offense moved/responded to each qb. 😉
It did. One guy had one 16 minute stretch that produced two scores on 50% passing. Then he did not throw anymore tds but turned it over a ton and hit on less than 50% of his passes.

The other guy lead us to 8 wins. He also passed for as many or more tds in one game than the other guy had for the season six times.

Very telling indeed.

Just like the one game they actually split time pretty evenly one guy was 7/16 with less than 100 yards no tds and had 3 rushes for 18 yards. The other was 7/8 for 115 with 2 tds. He also had 6 rushes for 30 yards.

One definitely moved the ball better. It wasn't the 46% passer with 2 tds.

It did. One guy had one 16 minute stretch that produced two scores on 50% passing. Then he did not throw anymore tds but turned it over a ton and hit on less than 50% of his passes.

The other guy lead us to 8 wins. He also passed for as many or more tds in one game than the other guy had for the season six times.

Very telling indeed.

Just like the one game they actually split time pretty evenly one guy was 7/16 with less than 100 yards no tds and had 3 rushes for 18 yards. The other was 7/8 for 115 with 2 tds. He also had 6 rushes for 30 yards.

One definitely moved the ball better. It wasn't the 46% passer with 2 tds.
Not helping you case AT ALL to compare that game without stating the obvious. One guy was coming off of injury and the other had been playing. It’s also worth reading between the lines and obviously the staff felt better about one throwing the ball than the other. The freshman had 16 pass plays called in less than 9 minutes of play. The other had 8 pass plays called in a half. Bm rushed twice for 20 yards. Not 3/18. The first was a 3 yd gain the second was a 17 yd gain. Add them up you get 20. You also fail to mention that his 98 yards passing came in a quarter because the defense couldn’t get off the field in the first.

Well, no. You literally can't. Do other guys make mistakes? Sure. But if they lack the ability to play their position at a high level then they should be replaced. It is guys like YOU that only change that rule when it comes to JG.

When you have to resort to a lie like this... you know you've lost. No one seems to mind when another "problem" gets resolved... but when someone suggests the problem likely the most damaging to the team be resolved... some of you go nuts.

If he is then the team will once again be limited by his very glaring weaknesses.

PS- this is another k-town mantra... Another screen name?
Anytime someone disagrees with you, I notice that you tend to throw in a "you must be k-towns other screen name".
Kinda silly.

JC was not a team leader those years. lmao He was a bench player.
Yeah. He was. He was recognized as such. Where did that information come from? Heath Shuler. Do you know more than him?

BTW, you claimed JG was a "leader" when he was Dormady's back up, right?

JG was the best on the roster. Barring Bailey coming in like Trevor Lawrence or Holiday surprising everyone then he will be the best we have on the roster again.
The fact that no one can predict the future with certainty... does not prevent you from following your delusion to exactly such a conclusion, does it?

He was NOT good enough last year. Any argument about "best" is not really relevant since the coaches were clearly dissatisfied with his play and went to the extreme of trying two guys who were not ready to play. If Maurer had not gotten injured, there is a really, really good chance that JG doesn't see the field again.... even if they had to struggle through BM's freshman mistakes.

Who here has called him elite? You are arguing non arguments to distract from the point.
You. Repeatedly.

JG was the best on the roster. He was a top six at worst SEC starter last year by any metric you choose from stats to team wins. He will most likely be top 5 if Bailey doesn't start.
You still haven't shown the PROOF of your claim that he wasn't a REALLY bad RZ QB. I showed mine. It compared him to other QB's create an objective standard. You... didn't show anything of the sort.

The media said repeatedly that JG is the best option
The media says lots of things... and are wrong as often as they're right. You are trying the infamous "they" or "experts" say approach. That isn't proof. I saw at most 2 or 3 writers out of dozens that proclaimed JG the best option. I heard one player (Jennings) quoted as saying he was their best option. That is not "the media" nor "the team.

I'm not going to link anything.
Because you know to do so destroys your claims. You pick an exception and make it into a consensus. All you EVER do is parse "facts and stats" to fit your false narrative.

Listen to some UT focused talk radio or read some articles. I'm already educating you now. I don't have time to hold your hand and link well known sentiments.
I have. That's how I know you are lying and distorting. You haven't "educated" anyone... you just think that's a clever way of escaping arguments you can't answer. It isn't.

Anytime someone disagrees with you, I notice that you tend to throw in a "you must be k-towns other screen name".
Kinda silly.
No. Not at all. When posters use nearly identical arguments down to the very wording... that's when I get suspicious. I believe BigOrangeTrain is an example of someone who has disagreed with me pretty sharply on JG... but isn't part of that k-town/Pulaski mind meld.

Reactions: PandamoniumReigns
Not helping you case AT ALL to compare that game without stating the obvious. One guy was coming off of injury and the other had been playing. It’s also worth reading between the lines and obviously the staff felt better about one throwing the ball than the other. The freshman had 16 pass plays called in less than 9 minutes of play. The other had 8 pass plays called in a half. Bm rushed twice for 20 yards. Not 3/18. The first was a 3 yd gain the second was a 17 yd gain. Add them up you get 20. You also fail to mention that his 98 yards passing came in a quarter because the defense couldn’t get off the field in the first.
Maurer is ALWAYS injured.

No. Not at all. When posters use nearly identical arguments down to the very wording... that's when I get suspicious. I believe BigOrangeTrain is an example of someone who has disagreed with me pretty sharply on JG... but isn't part of that k-town/Pulaski mind meld.
Fair enough, I suppose. I've saw you do it a few times and its just kind of weird.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Maurer is ALWAYS injured.

The injury he suffered in the MSU game really wasn't a matter of him being particularly injury prone or physically unprepared. It could have happened if he were a 220 lb Jr. However, some guys do have a greater susceptibility to concussions than others. If he does, his career will be short.

The injury he suffered in the MSU game really wasn't a matter of him being particularly injury prone or physically unprepared. It could have happened if he were a 220 lb Jr. However, some guys do have a greater susceptibility to concussions than others. If he does, his career will be short.
I hope it all works out for Maurer. He could probably start somewhere if he ever transfers. Pretty sure he will transfer at some point.

VN Store

Back