2020-21 Season. JG Potential

Will JG be a top-5 SEC QB this season?

• Total voters
Not going to keep going back and forth with you again. You’re biased as hell and you can’t help your hypocritical ways.The difference between you and I is I’m not “against” JG. But if you want me to say he’s more talented than BM, the best choice or otherwise, you have long road ahead of you.
It doesn't even matter, really. Maurer will transfer eventually.

Fair enough, I suppose. I've saw you do it a few times and its just kind of weird.
I actually enjoy debating and banter back and forth. One of the best ways to prove what you believe is reasonable and factual is to have other informed people take shots at it. There is a range of "informed" here... and there's one particular poster who is particularly detached from reason and honest treatment of the facts.

There are several folks here who still think JG can turn the corner and become a top tier QB. I have serious doubts having watched his whole career, thinking he was about to "get it" a few times, and watching him sink back into the same issues. I don't agree with those posters but it is a matter of what each of us thinks his potential is. I could be wrong. I was more than ready to eat crow after the Mizzou game last year. I just don't hold out much hope.

I like the potential of Maurer, Shrout, HB, et al... but none of them are proven. They just haven't "disproven" as much as JG at this point.

k-town thinks he's already a top tier QB... in spite of undeniable ineffectiveness over the last 3 years.

It doesn't even matter, really. Maurer will transfer eventually.
IMO, Maurer will have either developed over the summer and take advantage of a very narrow window this year... or will transfer. He was on the verge of taking JG's job last year. JG is close to or at his ceiling. So what happens with Maurer depends on where his ceiling is... and how much he's improved.

BTW, I'm actually pretty excited about the prospects of Salter being the next genuine star at UT... even over HB.

I hope it all works out for Maurer. He could probably start somewhere if he ever transfers. Pretty sure he will transfer at some point.
Someone... will. I think Maurer's window is beating JG out this year. If he can he can establish himself and be hard to beat out. If he can't then he will have to rise above 2-3 guys and separate himself while having less time to play.

I don't think Salter and HB both finish at UT and if I were placing a bet on very little real knowledge today... my money would be on Salter.

I wouldn’t blame him if he did tbh.
I really hate it for guys like Maurer that Spring Practice didn’t happen to give him an opportunity to win the job/get more snaps or at least see where he is in the pecking order so he can make the best possible decision for himself.

Someone... will. I think Maurer's window is beating JG out this year. If he can he can establish himself and be hard to beat out. If he can't then he will have to rise above 2-3 guys and separate himself while having less time to play.

I don't think Salter and HB both finish at UT and if I were placing a bet on very little real knowledge today... my money would be on Salter.
Yeah, I've watched Salter alot. I have also watched HB alot. I think they are both legit. I honestly wish we would just start bailey as a true freshman and see where he takes us.

You could be right but I don't see Maurer doing anything more than coming in if JG struggles. If something happens and Bailey comes in and lights it up, I would expect Maurer to transfer for sure.

Reactions: k-town_king
IMO, Maurer will have either developed over the summer and take advantage of a very narrow window this year... or will transfer. He was on the verge of taking JG's job last year. JG is close to or at his ceiling. So what happens with Maurer depends on where his ceiling is... and how much he's improved.

BTW, I'm actually pretty excited about the prospects of Salter being the next genuine star at UT... even over HB.
Salter is alot of fun to watch.
I haven't given up on JG yet.

Reactions: feathersax
I really hate it for guys like Maurer that Spring Practice didn’t happen to give him an opportunity to win the job/get more snaps or at least see where he is in the pecking order so he can make the best possible decision for himself.
I do too. However not only him but HB as well. But truthfully at worst I think Maurer should have already earned the nod for #2 with the opportunity to overtake JG. He didn’t do nearly as bad as some of these folks suggest and at times even looked surprisingly good. Had he not gotten the concussion, I’m not sure that many would disagree that our qb room landscape would more than likely look completely different because like it or not he WAS running away with the job.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Vols cannot win more than 7 regular season games w/JG at QB. He is too immature, too inconsistent, and not athletic enough to be an elite QB in the SEC.

Maurer is ALWAYS injured.
In fairness he landed on his head and got a concussion vs MSU. Truth is the effort alone was inspiring to most and just happened to result in a freak accident. Maybe he wasn’t ready to start vs Alabama the following week but he did and did well until Saban seen enough and sent in a freshman LB to drill him in the ear hole. It’s very possible that he wasn’t as injury prone as it appeared and simply came back too soon from the original injury.

In fairness he landed on his head and got a concussion vs MSU. Truth is the effort alone was inspiring to most and just happened to result in a freak accident. Maybe he wasn’t ready to start vs Alabama the following week but he did and did well until Saban seen enough and sent in a freshman LB to drill him in the ear hole. It’s very possible that he wasn’t as injury prone as it appeared and simply came back too soon from the original injury.
I think thats a big possibility. That he just came back before he was ready.

Reactions: 1vol8
I think he can be a top 5 QB, but that's a lot more to do with the rest of the SEC than him. Kellen Mond, Trask, maybe Jaimie Newman, Bo Nix. I'm not convinced by Mac Jones at all, Terry Wilson isn't better, Ryan Hilinski isn't better, whatever slop that vandy and Arkansas put out there aren't going to be better. I can't even name a QB in Missouri at this point. He's better than Ole Miss's QBs and Garrett Shrader.

So I see 3 definitely that are better, and two that have a legitimate argument with Newman and Mac Jones. Top 6 at least I guess in the conference. Who knows, JG might even improve after having the same coordinator for two straight years for the first time in his career here.

With the way we're recruiting and the way we finished out the season, I'm starting to believe more and more in the potential of JG's senior season. There's not a lot of proven high-quality talent at the QB position in the SEC this year, and I believe that with another year under Chaney and Weinke, JG could have a breakout senior season akin to Crompton's senior season with Kiffin. What are your thoughts on JG's potential for this season? I think he ends up top-5 in the SEC this year (given, a lot of that is due to a lack of high-end competition such as Burrow and Tua).
Define Top 5.
Stats?
Wins?
Perception?

it still blows my mind how people keep saying Maurer was so much better than JG last year.HOW? IF you inverted their numbers then the whole JG sucks and Maurer is better argument has legs. IF JG put up the numbers Maurer did people would have been burning down Neyland. If Maurer put up JG's numbers people would have a point but that's not what happened. Maurers numbers were TERRIBLE. His best game he barely beat out JG's WORST game. There is not a single meaningful passing statistic that he beat out JG in... oh wait he threw picks at 3x the rate. How many games did Maurer win? yup none.

JG was not a great QB but until its proven different he is the best QB on our roster on the field. He is not a bad QB and most of the flack he gets is because we were losing. I still can't believe people tried to blame him for the Ga State game. He lead the offense to more than enough points to win and we give up 38 points on defense because our defense was missing key players the first 3 games. as soon as the D got healthy things started changing except by then we were experimenting with the freshman QB's. Every time they tried to put one of the kids in and JG had to come to bail them out. If we hadn't finally given up on that experiment we don't get bowl eligible.

it still blows my mind how people keep saying Maurer was so much better than JG last year.HOW? IF you inverted their numbers then the whole JG sucks and Maurer is better argument has legs. IF JG put up the numbers Maurer did people would have been burning down Neyland. If Maurer put up JG's numbers people would have a point but that's not what happened. Maurers numbers were TERRIBLE. His best game he barely beat out JG's WORST game. There is not a single meaningful passing statistic that he beat out JG in... oh wait he threw picks at 3x the rate. How many games did Maurer win? yup none.

JG was not a great QB but until its proven different he is the best QB on our roster on the field. He is not a bad QB and most of the flack he gets is because we were losing. I still can't believe people tried to blame him for the Ga State game. He lead the offense to more than enough points to win and we give up 38 points on defense because our defense was missing key players the first 3 games. as soon as the D got healthy things started changing except by then we were experimenting with the freshman QB's. Every time they tried to put one of the kids in and JG had to come to bail them out. If we hadn't finally given up on that experiment we don't get bowl eligible.
Be careful Pimo, this guy doesn't believe it's possible for more than 1 person to think the very same thing, he'll ball up and cry that you're a burner account!

I think he can be a top 5 QB, but that's a lot more to do with the rest of the SEC than him. Kellen Mond, Trask, maybe Jaimie Newman, Bo Nix. I'm not convinced by Mac Jones at all, Terry Wilson isn't better, Ryan Hilinski isn't better, whatever slop that vandy and Arkansas put out there aren't going to be better. I can't even name a QB in Missouri at this point. He's better than Ole Miss's QBs and Garrett Shrader.

So I see 3 definitely that are better, and two that have a legitimate argument with Newman and Mac Jones. Top 6 at least I guess in the conference. Who knows, JG might even improve after having the same coordinator for two straight years for the first time in his career here.
This post makes too much sense for the neverJG guys to debate.

Vols cannot win more than 7 regular season games w/JG at QB. He is too immature, too inconsistent, and not athletic enough to be an elite QB in the SEC.
The athleticism has never been an issue. He's proven to be tough enough and can make all the throws. It's been a matter of him getting the ball out on time to the right places.

Maurer made mistakes. You expect Fr to make mistakes. You don't expect a RS Jr and 3 year starter to play as poorly as JG.

The better comparison on numbers though is the games in which they both played competitive snaps. Their "numbers" in those games were similar or slightly favoring Maurer. That says more bad about your RS Jr than it guarantees success for your Fr.

JG was not a great QB but until its proven different he is the best QB on our roster on the field. He is not a bad QB and most of the flack he gets is because we were losing.
You can check my posts. My criticism of JG is very narrow... but it is critical if the O is to succeed. He doesn't make reads fast enough and doesn't anticipate throws. That weakness makes him easy to defend even by teams like Vandy or IU with subpar defensive talent.

I still can't believe people tried to blame him for the Ga State game. He lead the offense to more than enough points to win and we give up 38 points on defense because our defense was missing key players the first 3 games. as soon as the D got healthy things started changing except by then we were experimenting with the freshman QB's.

It isn't "people"... it was Chaney, Fulmer, and eventually, grudgingly Pruitt. Chaney has more than enough OC experience to know where blame lays. Supposedly he wasn't completely on board with JG even before that. He was replaced because he deserved to be replaced. He didn't play well enough to move the O and score points vs Ga State. And remember, GSU was a 7-6 mid-major... not some overachiever. Without the UT win, they're not bowl eligible. Nine of their other 12 opponents scored more points against them than UT did behind JG. They didn't play another P-5 program. Seven opposing QB's with names no one knows... had a better QB rating against them than JG. This was a BAD D that was able to defend JG and stall UT's O for much of the game including pretty much the whole 2nd half.

If you think 23 points (not counting the late TD against prevent) is enough points against THAT D... or that you shouldn't be able to lean on your RS Jr QB to consistently move the O and keep your vulnerable D off the field against THAT opponent... I'm not sure how to help you.

Every time they tried to put one of the kids in and JG had to come to bail them out. If we hadn't finally given up on that experiment we don't get bowl eligible.
That's actually not true. Maurer was injured. That is why he came out of the first 3 games. They pulled him after he didn't play well vs UK... but he played better vs UK than JG did vs Vandy or IU in the first half. I do not know what their plan was with Shrout vs USCe but he didn't get yanked for doing anything worse than what JG routinely did. I suspect they played Shrout to the extent he knew the O.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
Salter is alot of fun to watch.
I haven't given up on JG yet.
I can respect that while not agreeing with it. I didn't have a great deal of faith in him entering last year. He then pretty much confirmed my doubts. But then later in the season I began to think Pruitt/Chaney had pulled some magic culminating with the Mizzou game. He still didn't lead the team to a lot of points which has to be the ultimate measure. BUT he made really good throws against a really good D.

Then... Vandy. Cut him some slack due to his personal loss and the rain? OK. Then IU and particularly those first few drives that maybe illustrated his weakness in getting the ball out on time and on target as much as any half of his career.

He has some great qualities. You can find my criticisms last summer. I've given him credit for overcoming some pretty big issues. He did a very good job of using the middle of the field. His command of the O and management of the run game is probably the biggest advantage he had over the other guys. He made solid adjustments.

But he still has that fatal flaw... and opposing DC's see it and exploit it.

Reactions: MemphisVol77

VN Store

Back