2020-21 Season. JG Potential

Will JG be a top-5 SEC QB this season?

• Total voters
That's usually what happens when you turn the ball over, it killed us early in the year as well. It's the main reason we played multiple QBs last year. JG is certainly not perfect and he turned it over too much last season for anyone's liking but he wasn't nearly the threat to give the ball to the other team as our young Fr were.

Yes. Those turnovers are magnified when you not consistently moving the ball well and scoring points on enough possessions to help offset that. Which wasnt happening either.

His erratic play this late in his career doesnt exude confidence. If hes the starter game 1 that better change pretty quick. If you re gonna have a QB making youthful inexperienced type mistakes you re better off doing it with a guy that has a chance to fix them.

Yes. Those turnovers are magnified when you not consistently moving the ball well and scoring points on enough possessions to help offset that. Which wasnt happening either.

His erratic play this late in his career doesnt exude confidence. If hes the starter game 1 that better change pretty quick. If you re gonna have a QB making youthful inexperienced type mistakes you re better off doing it with a guy that has a chance to fix them.
Why do you think the others are going to magically improve on their inconsistencies but not JG? I have no reason to believe that a QB in BM whose decision making skills place him statistically with the bottom 3 QBs of the league is going to change much. Go look at BMs last pass he attempted last year vs Indiana and tell me if improved any at all from his 1st 2 or 3 possessions vs Ga. I think JGs development has been pretty good considering his 1st 2 seasons playing was littered with 2 terrible OCs and 2 terrible OLs.

Reactions: k-town_king
Why do you think the others are going to magically improve on their inconsistencies but not JG? I have no reason to believe that a QB in BM whose decision making skills place him statistically with the bottom 3 QBs of the league is going to change much. Go look at BMs last pass he attempted last year vs Indiana and tell me if improved any at all from his 1st 2 or 3 possessions vs Ga. I think JGs development has been pretty good considering his 1st 2 seasons playing was littered with 2 terrible OCs and 2 terrible OLs.

I'm trying to figure out if you re purposefully misrepresenting my posts or you re honestly confusing me with a different discussion you are having.

This is much easier for me to comment on because I don't need JG or BM to be the QB. I dont care.

I was at the game. Maurer made a terrible decision on that throw. And the other incompletion wasnt good either. Maurer played like a lot of non elite FR do. Good, Bad, and Ugly during his opportunities through the year.

JGs stare down of JJ on the pick 6 was equally horrible and FResque. The biggest difference is hes not a FR.

They both can improve. I'm not saying either cant because I'm not personally vested in one over the other.

But it's not hard to see JGs leash getting shorter with his inconsistentcy going into his 5th year. If the staff was as sold as you are on his development during the season you re not seeing Maurer in as many games as you did. Especially not in the last one.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Absolutely nothing of what you just stated helps his case any. You can poo HB all you want and say he has nothing on BM but that's not how 95-100% of the folks that supposedly rate HS players say. Your little elite11 competition you continue to constantly reference is an absolute joke, who cares about how a kid did in that useless event. You can say whatever it is you want but HB was recruited to Tn to be the starting QB as there is simply no way in Haiti that he would have chosen Tn over all the other huge offers he had if he wasn't told that. BM had few options at power5 schools where he thought he'd have a chance to play, I guess he thought he was going to come in and beat out a veteran coming off 2 seasons of starting and that maybe HB would not honor his commitment. Whatever the reasons are as to why he chose UT it seems pretty evident that he's going to have to do a complete 180 in order to become the face of the Vol program. Unless injuries occur to JG and HB I just don't see it happening. That's not hating on the kid, it's simply the fact that he's got a bunch to improve on before he's given the keys to a big time program.
First of all, I’m not “poo”ing on HB at all to say he’s yet to prove himself. That’s a true statement. The reason the elite 11 competition is brought up is simply because that is a great opportunity to show how you stack up vs the nations best at not only your position but against the most talented D-1 athletes in your class. And NO athlete flies to Dallas to compete in a “useless” competition they care nothing about. And you know as well as I do if he’d placed higher than Maurer the previous year you’d use it as ammo for your opinion. So you can toss that argument because it’s BS.

Second, your responses back to me are almost never on subject. You avoid nearly every point. Why? My guess is that when someone hits you with facts that disprove your opinions you don’t know how to respond. So your MO is to evade with unnecessary comments that paint your whistle blower in a negative light.

You may be right about HB. He may come in be everything you think he is. However at THIS MOMENT you know as much about him as you do BM ........which is next to nil. Simple as that dude.

Why do we compare QBs from team to team as if they are in the same offense, protected by the same OL line, playing with the same WRs and playing the same competition. It's not apples to apples, a mature winning team to a program putting pieces together. We'll never know but I bet JG would have a totally different story written about him, playing on a Clemson offense, the last 3 years. I predict he will have alot more good stories written this year, because he is on a better team. No, no, let's put Joe Namath's sign to it, I guarantee it.

I'm trying to figure out if you re purposefully misrepresenting my posts or you re honestly confusing me with a different discussion you are having.

This is much easier for me to comment on because I don't need JG or BM to be the QB. I dont care.

I was at the game. Maurer made a terrible decision on that throw. And the other incompletion wasnt good either. Maurer played like a lot of non elite FR do. Good, Bad, and Ugly during his opportunities through the year.

JGs stare down of JJ on the pick 6 was equally horrible and FResque. The biggest difference is hes not a FR.

They both can improve. I'm not saying either cant because I'm not personally vested in one over the other.

But it's not hard to see JGs leash getting shorter with his inconsistentcy going into his 5th year. If the staff was as sold as you are on his development during the season you re not seeing Maurer in as many games as you did. Especially not in the last one.
I've said many times that JG will be on a short leash and that we'd know who our QB is likely going to be the 2nd half of the OK game. The neverJG guys say we'll lose to Ok and Fl with JG playing and I don't believe it's that simple, nor am I simple minded enough to think a player can't improve. I've not seen BM or JT do anything that would lead me to believe they could beat Ok or Fl at this time, maybe they've improved enough to do so. I've seen JG play a complete game on the road and get the W in a hostile environment before and through overall team improvement I'm expecting to see it again some this year. If JG gets just a little bit more consistent then I believe with that and our overall roster improvements will make a big difference in our record compared with the last 10 or so seasons. If our running game continues to suck at 150 yards a game then I don't think we'll see our offensive production improve much no matter who is playing QB.

Reactions: feathersax
There. Right there. You might be arguing he is top five, the numbers say he was a basement dweller. Numbers don't like, your argument does.
He was 3rd in qbr (4th if you include Tua's partial season) the most comprehensive stat there is for a qb.

No need to make things up.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
First of all, I’m not “poo”ing on HB at all to say he’s yet to prove himself. That’s a true statement. The reason the elite 11 competition is brought up is simply because that is a great opportunity to show how you stack up vs the nations best at not only your position but against the most talented D-1 athletes in your class. And NO athlete flies to Dallas to compete in a “useless” competition they care nothing about. And you know as well as I do if he’d placed higher than Maurer the previous year you’d use it as ammo for your opinion. So you can toss that argument because it’s BS.

Second, your responses back to me are almost never on subject. You avoid nearly every point. Why? My guess is that when someone hits you with facts that disprove your opinions you don’t know how to respond. So your MO is to evade with unnecessary comments that paint your whistle blower in a negative light.

You may be right about HB. He may come in be everything you think he is. However at THIS MOMENT you know as much about him as you do BM ........which is next to nil. Simple as that dude.
Your points are ridiculous, let's recap them for you: you said BM can make throws that only a couple of NFL QBs can make, I've not seen a single person agree with you on that one and will NEVER see anyone with a shred of football knowledge agree. You said had Keyton and JJ not dropped easy passes then BM interceptions to TD stats would be great but that only happens to him I guess. You repeatedly argued that he didn't have any concussion issues and that there was nothing to see when he couldn't physically make it past a half for 3 straight weeks, you've claimed you're the reason BM is at TN, you've made it known that he's a top11 competition QB referencing a garbage QB camp that hasn't shown to be any sign of a players talent over the years, you said his high school team sucked, all except for him, yet several of his WRs went on to play college football and you even just referenced that the DE on that team bragged on how strong BM was, I'm curious but was that DE a college player too? You've claimed that both Alabama and Ga had nothing for BM and simply couldn't stop him, which is the biggest joke on the whole board. Your hyperbole of BM has been off the charts and shouldn't come as any surprise since you are a handler quarterback teaching guru. Who are you going to argue with when he's at Florida Atlantic?

Reactions: feathersax
Sorry. But you are wrong.

I use one glaring example often and NO ONE who believes like you do has ever responded. In the USCe game, JG shortly after the half threw a deep route to MC. He threw late and short. The DB closed and made it a contested catch with no YAC's. The drive stalled and UT missed a FG. Later in the game, Shrout threw the same route to MC. He led him perfectly and MC ran it in for a TD.

One guy instinctively recognized that the play was GOING TO BE open... the other waited until it "was" open. You have to expect a RS Jr to be better than that if he has the ability.
You continue to bring up one single throw, a throw JG has made several times throughout his career. He made a similar perfect throw late in the Ga St game and made the same throw vs Chatt earlier in the season. Since we're picking just one throw why don't you tell me what other QB on the roster could make the throw JG made to JJ in the back of the endzone into coverage while being flattened by an oncoming blitz, I would say that JG was the only guy on the roster that could and has made that throw while under pressure.

He was 3rd in qbr (4th if you include Tua's partial season) the most comprehensive stat there is for a qb.

That's the biggest problem I have with the neverJG guys and the only reason I argue JGs side. Their constant statements of "stats don't matter, I see what I see" is what burns me. Half will say JG sucks at throwing the deep pass when his stats say he's one of the best in the conference at completing passes down the field past 30 yards. Doesn't really matter though, Coach Pruitt is going to start who he thinks gives us the best chance, I'm on record as saying it'll be JG, followed by HB, I've not heard any of them say who they think will start out at QB.

Oh, welcome to the JG discussions! QBR doesn't matter, it never has. JG's most important state is completion %. Its the gold standard for JG homers. Also, any stat that doesn't take into account "Garbage time", "heroic Valhalla bound throws", "wind velocity of a laden swallow", and "current moon phase" are absolutely meaningless.

3rd most INT's. I mean technically thats the top half of the conference so it must be a good one right?

Enjoy:
2019 Player Statistics
2019 Player Statistics
2019 Player Statistics
2019 Player Statistics
2019 Player Statistics
Lol, You really don't know how stats work. You listed attempts, completions and yards, all 3 are acquired based on playing time and offensive philosophy and the other stat you listed he was 7th, which is top half. The only one you got right was Interceptions which nearly everyone agrees he turned the ball over to much last year. I suspected that you struggled with math, you just proved it.

Reactions: swampfoxfan
Lol, You really don't know how stats work. You listed attempts, completions and yards, all 3 are acquired based on playing time and offensive philosophy and the other stat you listed he was 7th, which is top half. The only one you got right was Interceptions which nearly everyone agrees he turned the ball over to much last year. I suspected that you struggled with math, you just proved it.
lol.

Statistic: a fact or piece of data from a study of a large quantity of numerical data.

I suspect you struggle not only with math, but with words as well.

That being said, I am willing to bet that if you try hard enough you can probably polish a turd by adjusting the factual stats in regards to playing time and offensive philosophy. Make sure to have an * by those noting the changes due to being benched and not allowed to run more than a handful of plays from the playbook due to general inability to be good. I'm sure you can probably adjust stats due to moon phases, barometric pressure, and what type of knot JG used on his cleats. I look forward to your in depth analysis!

Last edited:
Your points are ridiculous, let's recap them for you: you said BM can make throws that only a couple of NFL QBs can make, I've not seen a single person agree with you on that one and will NEVER see anyone with a shred of football knowledge agree. You said had Keyton and JJ not dropped easy passes then BM interceptions to TD stats would be great but that only happens to him I guess. You repeatedly argued that he didn't have any concussion issues and that there was nothing to see when he couldn't physically make it past a half for 3 straight weeks, you've claimed you're the reason BM is at TN, you've made it known that he's a top11 competition QB referencing a garbage QB camp that hasn't shown to be any sign of a players talent over the years, you said his high school team sucked, all except for him, yet several of his WRs went on to play college football and you even just referenced that the DE on that team bragged on how strong BM was, I'm curious but was that DE a college player too? You've claimed that both Alabama and Ga had nothing for BM and simply couldn't stop him, which is the biggest joke on the whole board. Your hyperbole of BM has been off the charts and shouldn't come as any surprise since you are a handler quarterback teaching guru. Who are you going to argue with when he's at Florida Atlantic?
It’s no surprise you used old comments with added exaggeration to try and respond to a direct topic. Stay focused and stick to what we’re talking about NOW.

Reactions: FLVOL_79
This reads like something k-town would post... that's the reason for the accusation.

You're lying. At no point have I said JG is dumb. In truth, I know and like a former UT QB who wasn't the "brightest" guy you'd ever meet. But he had EXCELLENT instincts with post snap reads and anticipation of throws.

It is just a talent... like the ability to throw a 15 yard out on a rope or "see" a running lane that isn't there yet. Some really, really smart people "think" slow. Nothing personal... just one of the ways we're all different.

I think they are different people. But I think they are related or In a relationship or something. Check their posts....they, along with swampfox , consistently liking each other's posts. Wouldn't surprise me if Pulaski is the dad defending his son's irrational opinions.

It's oddly weird that there are three or four guys (I'm including D4H) that have zero reasoning ability. They stick solely to cherry picked stats and will argue with out sane reason.

I'm in agreement with your thought on JG....the lack of ability to anticipate a receiver becoming open is probably his biggest flaw. He'd be great at sandlot football, but he's not an elite or even above average college qb

Last edited:
Reactions: sjt18
I've said many times that JG will be on a short leash and that we'd know who our QB is likely going to be the 2nd half of the OK game. The neverJG guys say we'll lose to Ok and Fl with JG playing and I don't believe it's that simple, nor am I simple minded enough to think a player can't improve. I've not seen BM or JT do anything that would lead me to believe they could beat Ok or Fl at this time, maybe they've improved enough to do so. I've seen JG play a complete game on the road and get the W in a hostile environment before and through overall team improvement I'm expecting to see it again some this year. If JG gets just a little bit more consistent then I believe with that and our overall roster improvements will make a big difference in our record compared with the last 10 or so seasons. If our running game continues to suck at 150 yards a game then I don't think we'll see our offensive production improve much no matter who is playing QB.

I don't think its that simple either. But after watching the roller coaster last year that was his play, its hard to be filled with confidence that he's gonna make those strides which are more than a little bit. Especially when the same issues that got him pulled after 4 games got him pulled again in the last one. Its like he turned a corner in the late middle portion of the season only to circle back to where he was.
Im not saying he can't do it, but from a consistency standpoint I havent seen it since he's been on campus.

The running game is not much different than the passing game from this aspect. If the OL (which hasn't been really good in years) is contributing to poor QB play, its doing the same for the running game as well. That factor doesn't work just one way. The QB, RBs, and WRs all benefit from good OL play and good play between themselves.

What units last season didnt improve over the previous season?

Defense did
WR did
RB ????
OL i believe they did
QB ????

You continue to bring up one single throw, a throw JG has made several times throughout his career.
Well, no. It isn't a single throw and if he's ever led it well... it is the exception not the rule. For more examples, just help yourself to a replay of the 1st half of the IU game. It really, honestly isn't hard to find examples or other manifestations of the problem. Early on, he froze and took sacks or dumped down too quickly. Those "aw crap, I missed him" throws.

He made a similar perfect throw late in the Ga St game and made the same throw vs Chatt earlier in the season. Since we're picking just one throw why don't you tell me what other QB on the roster could make the throw JG made to JJ in the back of the endzone into coverage while being flattened by an oncoming blitz,
Maurer in very limited time made a very similar throw except in the open field with over the top safety help to DWA. I believe that was in the MSU game. Like the sideline throws that JG has done well, he doesn't have to "see" the whole coverage. It was a great throw... but the read wasn't difficult and the throw itself was very low risk.

I would say that JG was the only guy on the roster that could and has made that throw while under pressure.
And... you'd be wrong. Again.

Was it the "rule" for Maurer? Not in his Fr year. But it has been the exception over JG's career.

If you are anywhere near the "expert" you claim to be... you are working WAY too hard to ignore this particular JG weakness.

Can we start a poll to see who thinks some of these JG slurpers are related somehow, or the same person?
I guess the players are the poster too huh? They even talked on 990 this morning about Trey Smith and JG being the leaders. They said even with a few shaky performances the team wants JG out there and think he is the best option.

I guess the media members also post under the same names too. They also think JG is the better option and qb.

Yep the only real people are the posters who repeat the same tired and disproven narratives against the best qb on the roster last year.

I guess the players are the poster too huh? They even talked on 990 this morning about Trey Smith and JG being the leaders. They said even with a few shaky performances the team wants JG out there and think he is the best option.

I guess the media members also post under the same names too. They also think JG is the better option and qb.

Yep the only real people are the posters who repeat the same tired and disproven narratives against the best qb on the roster last year.

1. Thats called pillow talk
2. No one is saying that legitimately.

Reactions: PandamoniumReigns

VN Store

Back