2020-21 Season. JG Potential

Will JG be a top-5 SEC QB this season?

• Total voters
As if you’re here to be fair and not making excuses for JG? At least the “excuses” you accuse me of are legit. Name one qb that’s ever missed a significant amount of game action and looked like his old self right out of gate on his return.......I’ll wait.
You've had way more excuses for the kid than just that one. I guess every QB that had a great game the 1st game of the year doesn't count as coming in and doing well while being rusty? Lol, never in the history of the game has a good QB not looked rusty to start the season.

I wondered what the actual numbers were so I looked it up. Kind of surprising but there have only been about 20 or so QBs throw 30 TDs in a season in the SEC. We’ve had 3 guys do it... ever.
The neverJG guys don't believe in stats or data.

Wow, now you're a mind reader that knew what everyone was thinking. I'm not going to change your know it all mind .
Ah, so your very intelligent not "know it all" response was "pure bs"... but now you're offended that I supported the point I was making?

He’ll probably be yelling “bench HB, start Salter” in two years..
If one or both are a Jr and are holding the O back... then yes. Expect it.

I've criticized pretty much every QB in one way or another since I started posting here. Dobbs was inaccurate "in the strike zone". But when you looked at his whole game... he was a great QB for the Vols. When they ran the O through Dobbs... it was prolific.

It isn't personal with JG. It never has been for me. He just has a fatal flaw. He processes too slow and doesn't have some element of imagination that lets him anticipate things. Those deficiencies have manifested themselves in numerous ways.

Even after believing he was a failed experiment last year... you can go back and find posts where I became a lot more positive following the UK and Mizzou games. It looked like he had turned the corner. I was MORE than ready and even hopeful that I would have to "eat crow". But then he showed those same traits in the VU and IU games.

I don't have a "favorite". I want UT to have a great QB... and a great OL, DL, LB corps, secondary, receiver group, RB group... JG just looks too limited to become that.

Um..thats probably why they are NeverJG.."stats and data" don't make him look good at all..

Well..unless you have the bar set low and accept mediocrity.
I'm starting to believe that you have no idea how stats work or are decided. Math is math, it's not really hard to understand unless you are dyslexic.

You've had way more excuses for the kid than just that one. I guess every QB that had a great game the 1st game of the year doesn't count as coming in and doing well while being rusty? Lol, never in the history of the game has a good QB not looked rusty to start the season.
Not going to keep going back and forth with you again. You’re biased as hell and you can’t help your hypocritical ways.The difference between you and I is I’m not “against” JG. But if you want me to say he’s more talented than BM, the best choice or otherwise, you have long road ahead of you.

Last edited:
So what would you have suggested last year? Shrout? Maurer? Then this year? Bailey right away?
I have said repeatedly that I thought Pruitt and Chaney played that hand about the best they could. They invested an offseason trying to "fix" JG. Pruitt pretty much handed him the position in January '19 in an effort to build his confidence. The coaches were stunned when the guy they saw in practice disappeared on game day.

They didn't have a good option. I like Maurer's spunk and think he's a talented guy. But he made some really bad decisions and didn't have a mastery of the O. He has the talent to get better. He wasn't really worse than you would expect him to be as a true Fr... but even without the injuries the Vols would have had to fight around his mistakes until he learned not to make them.

I don't know the deal with Shrout. He had a year in the program and IMO should have been the next guy up... but he wasn't. Does he work hard enough? He has the best pure arm on the team but he didn't seem to have a mastery of the O either.

Once JG played poorly... they were left with two pretty desperate options.

I do not know the reason for your bias against Maurer... but it is very, very obvious. And yeah, you excuse a 4th year player while judging a Fr by a higher standard.

Doesn't matter what he suggests. This neverJG guy is on record saying we've reached our ceiling with JG and the Vols won't win more than 7 games w him at the helm.
Really? Where did I predict that win total? I have said that the O has an artificial ceiling with JG because of his issues. I will stand by that until he corrects them. I do not think he will because they appear to be a matter of innate talent and NOT a lack of effort or coaching.

Even then... I'd still love to be wrong. I would love to see him throw with Bray's instincts for instance while managing the O as well as he did. He WOULD then be on of the best QB's in the country.

Why would you lie about the 7 game thing? If you find where I said that... I will gladly apologize but I do not remember setting a win limit.

He thinks JG is dumb and can't process information.
That's simply a lie. There are lots of really, really smart people who cannot develop a second nature instinct for reading D's or anticipating plays. I have specifically said RECENTLY that JG appears to be a bright kid. I think he did a very good job of managing the O late last year. But that task asked him to look at the D and evaluate it... not anticipate it.

That was a specific area I had criticized and have given him credit now several times for improving.

I'd love to see him in the locker room spewing that garbage to the team.
Did someone mention childish? Can your cousin beat up my cousin too?

It doesn't rile me up at all, I think it's childish and weird to accuse others of having 2 screen names. You can't be so simple minded that you think everyone shares your same opinion. People get tired of debating you because you offer nothing but the same old stale argument that JG is dumb, something I and a bunch of others simply don't believe to be so.
This reads like something k-town would post... that's the reason for the accusation.

You're lying. At no point have I said JG is dumb. In truth, I know and like a former UT QB who wasn't the "brightest" guy you'd ever meet. But he had EXCELLENT instincts with post snap reads and anticipation of throws.

It is just a talent... like the ability to throw a 15 yard out on a rope or "see" a running lane that isn't there yet. Some really, really smart people "think" slow. Nothing personal... just one of the ways we're all different.

I'm starting to believe that you have no idea how stats work or are decided. Math is math, it's not really hard to understand unless you are dyslexic.
Pretty sure we aren't looking at the same states..i.e. you're looking at the wrong ones.

I do not know the reason for your bias against Maurer... but it is very, very obvious. And yeah, you excuse a 4th year player while judging a Fr by a higher standard.
I don't have bias against BM, I simply believe that a veteran QB who historically doesn't turn the ball over to the other team is a better option than an undersized Fr who continues to throw the ball in the direction of the other team. I also have no reason to believe that our best option at QB is a kid who seemingly can't physically stay in the game past a half. I believe JG gives our team the best chance to win out of our current stable of QBs, mainly because of his experience but also because he can make every throw the young inexperienced guys can make. I also believe that I have not seen anything to lead me to believe that BM or JT are better options at this time. I'm excited to see what a healthy JG can do this year. You seem to act like his injury was no big deal, I see it differently. I also believe BMs days are numbered in Knoxville, same thought I had years ago about B Stewart, not because of BMs talents but because of the talent of the other QBs. You seem to believe we have better options than JG and that we can't win with him, I see that differently as well.

I don't have bias against BM, I simply believe that a veteran QB who historically doesn't turn the ball over to the other team is a better option than an undersized Fr who continues to throw the ball in the direction of the other team. I also have no reason to believe that our best option at QB is a kid who seemingly can't physically stay in the game past a half. I believe JG gives our team the best chance to win out of our current stable of QBs, mainly because of his experience but also because he can make every throw the young inexperienced guys can make. I also believe that I have not seen anything to lead me to believe that BM or JT are better options at this time. I'm excited to see what a healthy JG can do this year. You seem to act like his injury was no big deal, I see it differently. I also believe BMs days are numbered in Knoxville, same thought I had years ago about B Stewart, not because of BMs talents but because of the talent of the other QBs. You seem to believe we have better options than JG and that we can't win with him, I see that differently as well.
Please......Tell us what these “talents” are that BM lacks that the others have.

Please......Tell us what these “talents” are that BM lacks that the others have.
I'm much higher on a QB that led his team to a state championship in arguably one of the toughest levels of high school football than I am of an unknown that led his team to 3 wins his Sr year in one of the weakest districts in FL, a district that historically bows out of the state tournament in the 1st and 2nd rounds. BM has done absolutely nothing to lead me to believe we can win with him as the face of our program. Does he have talent, well he runs good and he likes to take chances with his average arm. He's talented enough to be the guy somewhere else just not going to be in Knoxville I feel.

I'm much higher on a QB that led his team to a state championship in arguably one of the toughest levels of high school football than I am of an unknown that led his team to 3 wins his Sr year in one of the weakest districts in FL, a district that historically bows out of the state tournament in the 1st and 2nd rounds. BM has done absolutely nothing to lead me to believe we can win with him as the face of our program. Does he have talent, well he runs good and he likes to take chances with his average arm. He's talented enough to be the guy somewhere else just not going to be in Knoxville I feel.
Right. I know you feel he has an average arm despite video evidence showing otherwise. What I’m asking is, given that you’re “in recruiting”, what are the specific talents he lacks that the others do not. You should be able to answer quite easily given your profession.

Pretty sure we aren't looking at the same states..i.e. you're looking at the wrong ones.
Show me more than 1 or 2 stats where JG wasn't rated in the top half of the conference. You talk about all these bad stats but I never see you list them.

Right. I know you feel he has an average arm despite video evidence showing otherwise. What I’m asking is, given that you’re “in recruiting”, what are the specific talents he lacks that the others do not. You should be able to answer quite easily given your profession.
He lacks physical strength, he lacks experience vs elite competition, he lacks having any success at all in the win column vs any level of competition, throws into traffic way too much, continues to throw off his back leg across the middle and his Twitter feed seems like an absolute mess. He can have all the talent in the world but he's not going to be successful at all until he matures mentally and physically and gains experience playing. Unfortunately for him he came to a program with an experienced vet in front of him and a 6'5 220 lbs blue chip QB that was recruited over him. If he has anyone out there at all willing to take him in to be the starting QB I think he should go do it, I just don't see anyone taking him over say little Tua who similarly was never recruited to be the face of a program.

I have said repeatedly that I thought Pruitt and Chaney played that hand about the best they could. They invested an offseason trying to "fix" JG. Pruitt pretty much handed him the position in January '19 in an effort to build his confidence. The coaches were stunned when the guy they saw in practice disappeared on game day.

They didn't have a good option. I like Maurer's spunk and think he's a talented guy. But he made some really bad decisions and didn't have a mastery of the O. He has the talent to get better. He wasn't really worse than you would expect him to be as a true Fr... but even without the injuries the Vols would have had to fight around his mistakes until he learned not to make them.

I don't know the deal with Shrout. He had a year in the program and IMO should have been the next guy up... but he wasn't. Does he work hard enough? He has the best pure arm on the team but he didn't seem to have a mastery of the O either.

Once JG played poorly... they were left with two pretty desperate options.
Ok, I can get behind this post 110%. I agree.

He lacks physical strength, he lacks experience vs elite competition, he lacks having any success at all in the win column vs any level of competition, throws into traffic way too much, continues to throw off his back leg across the middle and his Twitter feed seems like an absolute mess. He can have all the talent in the world but he's not going to be successful at all until he matures mentally and physically and gains experience playing. Unfortunately for him he came to a program with an experienced vet in front of him and a 6'5 220 lbs blue chip QB that was recruited over him. If he has anyone out there at all willing to take him in to be the starting QB I think he should go do it, I just don't see anyone taking him over say little Tua who similarly was never recruited to be the face of a program.
Physical strength- you have a valid point vs the competition in the college ranks. However in HS I read a defensive ends comment that he went toe to toe with him in the weight room and the qb only lost by 10 pounds (squats). Both over 400 lbs but don’t remember specifics. His bench max as a senior was 250. I don’t suspect that was much less than most qbs around the nation. So you may be right or wrong. Idk

Experience vs elite competition- Why is it so hard to understand that as a qb without an adequate o line you have less time to get a snap, find a receiver, set your feet and throw an accurate ball? In 2017 he had an average of 1.8 seconds of protection. In 2018 they improved to 2.3. That’s the equivalent of us playing Alabama every single week with him at the helm. How many games out of 10 do we win vs Alabama right now?.......the best you can hope for is a qb with skill to give you a chance at nearly impossible odds. So that’s a check in his box imo. Not an X.

Win column- has nothing to do with individual talent. This is a team game and his defense gave up an average of 45 points a game. No qb at any level wins consistently with a defense like that.

Throwing off his back leg- same thing as saying he’s wrong for his ability to throw accurately from off platform. That’s a SKILL you use to knock him. A qb with that ability is more dangerous than one that needs his feet to be set. Remember....he hurt UGA by both setting his feet as well as off platform accuracy from INSIDE the pocket and pocket awareness.

Twitter feed- once again, has nothing to do with talent. Does he need to mature? Absolutely. But he’s 19 and I’m not quite sure why you’d reference his Twitter.......from what I see he’s been nothing but supportive and a great teammate.

recruited over- face the truth..... no one knows if that’s the truth. All we know is HB was ranked higher in HIS class. We know they both were elite 11 qbs. We know one finished 5th and the other finished next to last when the talent across from them was equaled out. We know the ability to rise to the occasion has already been demonstrated by one and one still has yet to prove he can.

Physical strength- you have a valid point vs the competition in the college ranks. However in HS I read a defensive ends comment that he went toe to toe with him in the weight room and the qb only lost by 10 pounds (squats). Both over 400 lbs but don’t remember specifics. His bench max as a senior was 250. I don’t suspect that was much less than most qbs around the nation. So you may be right or wrong. Idk

Experience vs elite competition- Why is it so hard to understand that as a qb without an adequate o line you have less time to get a snap, find a receiver, set your feet and throw an accurate ball? In 2017 he had an average of 1.8 seconds of protection. In 2018 they improved to 2.3. That’s the equivalent of us playing Alabama every single week with him at the helm. How many games out of 10 do we win vs Alabama right now?.......the best you can hope for is a qb with skill to give you a chance at nearly impossible odds. So that’s a check in his box imo. Not an X.

Win column- has nothing to do with individual talent. This is a team game and his defense gave up an average of 45 points a game. No qb at any level wins consistently with a defense like that.

Throwing off his back leg- same thing as saying he’s wrong for his ability to throw accurately from off platform. That’s a SKILL you use to knock him. A qb with that ability is more dangerous than one that needs his feet to be set. Remember....he hurt UGA by both setting his feet as well as off platform accuracy from INSIDE the pocket and pocket awareness.

Twitter feed- once again, has nothing to do with talent. Does he need to mature? Absolutely. But he’s 19 and I’m not quite sure why you’d reference his Twitter.......from what I see he’s been nothing but supportive and a great teammate.

recruited over- face the truth..... no one knows if that’s the truth. All we know is HB was ranked higher in HIS class. We know they both were elite 11 qbs. We know one finished 5th and the other finished next to last when the talent across from them was equaled out. We know the ability to rise to the occasion has already been demonstrated by one and one still has yet to prove he can.
Absolutely nothing of what you just stated helps his case any. You can poo HB all you want and say he has nothing on BM but that's not how 95-100% of the folks that supposedly rate HS players say. Your little elite11 competition you continue to constantly reference is an absolute joke, who cares about how a kid did in that useless event. You can say whatever it is you want but HB was recruited to Tn to be the starting QB as there is simply no way in Haiti that he would have chosen Tn over all the other huge offers he had if he wasn't told that. BM had few options at power5 schools where he thought he'd have a chance to play, I guess he thought he was going to come in and beat out a veteran coming off 2 seasons of starting and that maybe HB would not honor his commitment. Whatever the reasons are as to why he chose UT it seems pretty evident that he's going to have to do a complete 180 in order to become the face of the Vol program. Unless injuries occur to JG and HB I just don't see it happening. That's not hating on the kid, it's simply the fact that he's got a bunch to improve on before he's given the keys to a big time program.

At the beginning of 2019, we had three QB's, that appeared to be ready to play.
At the beginning of 2020, without spring practice, we still have three qb's ready to play, and one waiting in the wings, possibly getting a redshirt.
None of the three we have are going to lead us to a title.
This season, at best, will be a repeat of last season, hopefully, minus the 2 losses, to start the season.
Will they redshirt HB?
Can Chaney get HB firing on all cylinders, and how soon?
I am ok, with JG, at this point. He seems like the best option we have.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan

VN Store

Back