2020-21 Season. JG Potential

Will JG be a top-5 SEC QB this season?

• Total voters
I think Ramel Keyton and DeAngelo Gibbs are the two most likely to become playmakers who weren't major factors before. Obviously, Palmer is the #1 guy coming back, but he's been a big factor for a couple years. Keyton showed some real flashes when he got a chance last year.
Tillman is the closest thing we have to Jennings and he is a faster version. Those other guys will definitely be good and contribute.

Gibbs and Velus Jones will be interesting especially with Brandon Johnson as a slot receiver this year as well. He willingly took a redshirt so he could play this year.

Edit: Also, we got some fast WRs for this class and I don’t know how you keep them off the field with the speed they have. The WR rotation will be interesting.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
Is JG the best we ever had? No.
Is JG the worst we ever had? No

Why not just support the young man?
I have coached youth sports. Some kids put in work. Some kids have talent. Some kids just don't. I always supported them all. I provided opportunities for extra help and was willing to work with them on my on time if they wanted to get better regardless of where they started.

I "support" JG. That doesn't mean he's the right guy to lead the Vols if the team is going to improve as much as possible this fall.

Sorry. But you are wrong.

I use one glaring example often and NO ONE who believes like you do has ever responded. In the USCe game, JG shortly after the half threw a deep route to MC. He threw late and short. The DB closed and made it a contested catch with no YAC's. The drive stalled and UT missed a FG. Later in the game, Shrout threw the same route to MC. He led him perfectly and MC ran it in for a TD.

One guy instinctively recognized that the play was GOING TO BE open... the other waited until it "was" open. You have to expect a RS Jr to be better than that if he has the ability.

Reactions: Tnslim1

I use one glaring example often and NO ONE who believes like you do has ever responded. In the USCe game, JG shortly after the half threw a deep route to MC. He threw late and short. The DB closed and made it a contested catch with no YAC's. The drive stalled and UT missed a FG. Later in the game, Shrout threw the same route to MC. He led him perfectly and MC ran it in for a TD.

One guy instinctively recognized that the play was GOING TO BE open... the other waited until it "was" open. You have to expect a RS Jr to be better than that if he has the ability.
I know exactly the drive you’re talking about. There was an also blatant missed targeting/late hit on Tyler Byrd that wasn’t called. You conveniently missed to point that out..

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan

JG has actually lead a receiver, and/or thrown one open about 5 times in his career at UT, and 2 of those were against Auburn in 2018.

Jennings being a ballhawk and Callaway having a 32.5 inch long arms and a 38 inch vertical leap saved saved JG on balls that were consistently under or over thrown. He's going to struggle without them, especially without a spring practice period to get used to throwing the majority of his passes to receivers that aren't Jennings and Callaway.

I think Ramel Keyton and DeAngelo Gibbs are the two most likely to become playmakers who weren't major factors before. Obviously, Palmer is the #1 guy coming back, but he's been a big factor for a couple years. Keyton showed some real flashes when he got a chance last year.
Don't forget about Brandon Johnson!

His experience should help a lot.

I know exactly the drive you’re talking about. There was an also blatant missed targeting/late hit on Tyler Byrd that wasn’t called. You conveniently missed to point that out..
Maybe because it had absolutely nothing to do with JG not throwing that ball well... or that's one of many examples so obvious that the bowl game announcer talked about it openly?

Maybe because it had absolutely nothing to do with JG not throwing that ball well... or that's one of many examples so obvious that the bowl game announcer talked about it openly?
You could literally make a case like that for on every single player on the team. Some of you guys kill me with the constant “JG is the only problem” narrative. He was the best QB on that roster, and likely will be the best QB this coming year.

You could literally make a case like that for on every single player on the team.
Well, no. You literally can't. Do other guys make mistakes? Sure. But if they lack the ability to play their position at a high level then they should be replaced. It is guys like YOU that only change that rule when it comes to JG.

Some of you guys kill me with the constant “JG is the only problem” narrative.
When you have to resort to a lie like this... you know you've lost. No one seems to mind when another "problem" gets resolved... but when someone suggests the problem likely the most damaging to the team be resolved... some of you go nuts.

He was the best QB on that roster, and likely will be the best QB this coming year.
If he is then the team will once again be limited by his very glaring weaknesses.

PS- this is another k-town mantra... Another screen name?

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Well, no. You literally can't. Do other guys make mistakes? Sure. But if they lack the ability to play their position at a high level then they should be replaced. It is guys like YOU that only change that rule when it comes to JG.

When you have to resort to a lie like this... you know you've lost. No one seems to mind when another "problem" gets resolved... but when someone suggests the problem likely the most damaging to the team be resolved... some of you go nuts.

If he is then the team will once again be limited by his very glaring weaknesses.

PS- this is another k-town mantra... Another screen name?
So what would you have suggested last year? Shrout? Maurer? Then this year? Bailey right away?

Wow, now you're a mind reader that knew what everyone was thinking. I'm not going to change your know it all mind .

Given he was a RS JR last year he should have easily been there then.

With the SEC losing some top end talent this year, (if) he is the starting QB for the season, there's no reason why he shouldn't be in the top 5.

After an excellent half against UK and game against Mizzou, he finished the season vs Vandy and IU 24-48 for 341 yards with 1 td and 3 Ints. That should be enough to give anyone concern.

Regardless of whether you think he is and has been good or you think he sucks and will continue to, UT hasn't been in the same area code as the top teams in this conference in QB play. And if they are going to take the next step it has to start at that position.

The hook will be quick and the second chance probably wont come around again..

Given he was a RS JR last year he should have easily been there then.

With the SEC losing some top end talent this year, (if) he is the starting QB for the season, there's no reason why he shouldn't be in the top 5.

After an excellent half against UK and game against Mizzou, he finished the season vs Vandy and IU 24-48 for 341 yards with 1 td and 3 Ints. That should be enough to give anyone concern.

Regardless of whether you think he is and has been good or you think he sucks and will continue to, UT hasn't been in the same area code as the top teams in this conference in QB play. And if they are going to take the next step it has to start at that position.

The hook will be quick and the second chance probably wont come around again..
I sure as hell hope the second chance wouldn't come around.

I'll be shocked if JG is the QB through every game this season.

I sure as hell hope the second chance wouldn't come around.

I'll be shocked if JG is the QB through every game this season.
A lot of it depends on the offseason and what some of the other options look like. They know more about him than any QB on the roster and while that is an advantage in one way its a disadvantage in another.

There is healthy competition now at that position. Something we really didnt have last year. JG is the sole reason Maurer got a shot.

Reactions: PlanetVolunteer
What would be in the teams best interest if we started the season like this.

Maurer starting and Bailey having to beat BM out.

I don't give a rat about Maurer forcing throws off his back foot. Blah blah blah. If he didn't have the concussions he would have started the rest of the season. His first half against Georgia was as good as anything JG did and he was a true freshman.

Why waste time with JG on the field?

Give the young guys a chance to earn it before you throw a guy out there that will play one year.

Namsayin? Expedite the young quarterback growth. JG is a great back up!

Say if its between Maurer and Bailey, do we really think they'll both fail so bad that we put JG in?

What would be in the teams best interest if we started the season like this.

Maurer starting and Bailey having to beat BM out.

I don't give a rat about Maurer forcing throws off his back foot. Blah blah blah. If he didn't have the concussions he would have started the rest of the season. His first half against Georgia was as good as anything JG did and he was a true freshman.

Why waste time with JG on the field?

Give the young guys a chance to earn it before you throw a guy out there that will play one year.

Namsayin? Expedite the young quarterback growth. JG is a great back up!

Say if its between Maurer and Bailey, do we really think they'll both fail so bad that we put JG in?
Lol, keep begging and pleading for anyone other than JG. I'm sure Pruitt is thinking just like you on this! Haha haha

Reactions: DustyRockSolid
So what would you have suggested last year? Shrout? Maurer? Then this year? Bailey right away?
Neither Shrout nor Maurer were ready last year. And Pruitt and Chaney both knew that. Its a pretty loud point when you pull a RS JR for a true FR a handful of games into a season knowing you don't really want to play the guy. JG forced their hand.

Neither Shrout nor Maurer were ready last year. And Pruitt and Chaney both knew that. Its a pretty loud point when you pull a RS JR for a true FR a handful of games into a season knowing you don't really want to play the guy. JG forced their hand.
I don’t disagree at all with this statement. That’s the only reason I was saying that JG was the best option last year. I fear that HB might be the same this year, especially because of the missed practices.

Doesn't matter what he suggests. This neverJG guy is on record saying we've reached our ceiling with JG and the Vols won't win more than 7 games w him at the helm. He thinks JG is dumb and can't process information. I'd love to see him in the locker room spewing that garbage to the team.

Reactions: ScottyP5
Doesn't matter what he suggests. This neverJG guy is on record saying we've reached our ceiling with JG and the Vols won't win more than 7 games w him at the helm. He thinks JG is dumb and can't process information. I'd love to see him in the locker room spewing that garbage to the team.
He’ll probably be yelling “bench HB, start Salter” in two years..

VN Store

Back