Future Coach

What are the chances Coach English takes over when Barnes retires? How many years Barnes got left on his new contract? Stay here Coach English.

I think Georgia State head basketball coach Rob Lanier would be a candidate also along with Wake Forest head basketball coach Steve Forbes.

I think I lean to wanting Steve Forbes in that situation.
Forbes is going to have difficulty at Wake Forest. At his age, I understand why he jumped on one of the limited P5 jobs available. It is a bad fit, however. His typical recruiting does not fit WF. He has too much competition to overcome in that area when he will be playing with one hand tied behind his back. I don't think this position will lend itself to making him look good. I think he is a great coach that chose the worst possible setup for his coaching style because of his age and the last chance at a big payday.

English vs. Lanier is interesting. I think they are both good coaches. I think Lanier gets an advantage if English has not been a head coach elsewhere for a couple of years when Barnes retires, however.

Forbes is going to have difficulty at Wake Forest. At his age, I understand why he jumped on one of the limited P5 jobs available. It is a bad fit, however. His typical recruiting does not fit WF. He has too much competition to overcome in that area when he will be playing with one hand tied behind his back. I don't think this position will lend itself to making him look good. I think he is a great coach that chose the worst possible setup for his coaching style because of his age and the last chance at a big payday.

English vs. Lanier is interesting. I think they are both good coaches. I think Lanier gets an advantage if English has not been a head coach elsewhere for a couple of years when Barnes retires, however.
good to have options! And, because of Fulmer getting Barnes contract done, as outlandish as it is, we kept Barnes, and sent a message to CBB that UT is a player, in contending in basketball, and will pay to get the right guy...no longer do we have to settle for a coach we have to google.

I think that if a change was made right now, Schwartz would do a better job of building a program. English would grab more high level recruits faster, but Kim has only been coaching for a couple of years. They both need to get some head coaching experience before they'd likely get the TN job. However, if either one sits next to CRB for the next 10 years then they'd be strong candidates at that time. Lanier could be the front runner today. If he flames out at GA State, then he'll be off the board.

Barnes is 65 and has 5 years left on his contract. A lot can change but seems like he will retire at that point, hopefully successfully as a vol. English had a chance to leave, but stayed. I’m sure he would go if bigger money and authority thrown at him. Part of me wondered if he is the head coach in waiting and that’s what they told him to get him to stay.

I could see him back at his alma mater once Mizzou has had enough of Cuonzo Martin.
Yeah good point. I’m leaning he will probably be gone sooner rather than later. I think southeast Missouri is the school he was a candidate for the head coaching job. Not sure if they offered him

I hope one day our fanbase will move past this Steve Forbes obsession. He’s a great coach, but he’s nearly Barnes age. He’s older than most expect. Barnes isn’t likely retiring till his contract is up, and that’s not till 5 years from now.

I’d much rather try and attract a talented young coach than an aging Forbes. We’ll see how he does at Wake, but I feel like he isn’t going to light the world on fire like most of his fans think.

I hope one day our fanbase will move past this Steve Forbes obsession. He’s a great coach, but he’s nearly Barnes age. He’s older than most expect. Barnes isn’t likely retiring till his contract is up, and that’s not till 5 years from now.

I’d much rather try and attract a talented young coach than an aging Forbes. We’ll see how he does at Wake, but I feel like he isn’t going to light the world on fire like most of his fans think.
I don't want the Tennessee men's basketball program to become an on the job training program for obscure mid major men's basketball coaches.

Nearly Barnes' age? He's 10 years younger.

I think most people realize he isn't likely to succeed at Wake, but that really isn't the point. What he needs to do is improve them over Manning and then bolt in 2-3 years to a better offer. He doesn't have to win the ACC to do that.

I say all of this as someone who isn't a Steve Forbes superfan, either. The fit isn't great, but he had to take the offer. He loses 6 or 7 seniors off his ETSU squad and 6 of his 7 top scorers.

I don't want the Tennessee men's basketball program to become an on the job training program for obscure mid major men's basketball coaches.

Neither do I. But young and talented doesn’t have to mean mid-major. It just means I don’t want a 61 year old as our next head coach, which is how old Steve Forbes will be 5 years from now. Personally, I hope whoever our next coach is would be someone that can be here long term and not another few years before retiring.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Nearly Barnes' age? He's 10 years younger.

I think most people realize he isn't likely to succeed at Wake, but that really isn't the point. What he needs to do is improve them over Manning and then bolt in 2-3 years to a better offer. He doesn't have to win the ACC to do that.

I say all of this as someone who isn't a Steve Forbes superfan, either. The fit isn't great, but he had to take the offer. He loses 6 or 7 seniors off his ETSU squad and 6 of his 7 top scorers.

I could have sworn Forbes was 60 currently, but it turns out I’m wrong. I stand corrected. Still don’t want him as our next coach.

Barnes was about 60 when Tenn hired him. Seems to have turned out ok if they get 10 good years of coaching. Hiring a good 60 year old coach is not bad, just don’t hire a journeyman 60 year old (unless it is Larry Brown).

Barnes was about 60 when Tenn hired him. Seems to have turned out ok if they get 10 good years of coaching. Hiring a good 60 year old coach is not bad, just don’t hire a journeyman 60 year old (unless it is Larry Brown).

Rick Pitino is kind of a 70 year old journeyman. Matches Larry pretty well as far as cheating goes.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019

VN Store

Back