NCAA pushing decision out on 1 free transfer - update

The fact that its already happening more and more with the sit out penalty in place argues for it happening even more without the penalty doesn't it? You guys' experience with kids sports must have been different from mine. Both coaches and players start trying to stack at the top from t-ball on. Everybody likes to win.

It is a legit point that some top players could be held back by wanting to be the big fish in the smaller pond and not having to share playing time. But I bet that would be the exception.

Well it depends. How far out is team 2 from those nattys, and what direction is program currently headed in? Those rides into the ditch after glory days are rough. At least team 1 is consistently among the elite, and while it would be frustrating to get close so often and only win once, it would be a much more fun ride.

Both good points

The fact that its already happening more and more with the sit out penalty in place argues for it happening even more without the penalty doesn't it? You guys' experience with kids sports must have been different from mine. Both coaches and players start trying to stack at the top from t-ball on. Everybody likes to win.

It is a legit point that some top players could be held back by wanting to be the big fish in the smaller pond and not having to share playing time. But I bet that would be the exception.

I'm just not sure how much more it will be. I don't think that much. If a player wants to leave, they leave. I wonder how many players decide to stay because they have to sit out a year. They do get to still PLAY four years so they don't lose that. And I bet there were plenty that were confident they would get that well sought out waiver to play right away.

Maybe 5-10% more transfers because of the new rule is my guess. That's something like 25-50 more transfers. Over 341 Div I schools.

I just don't see the reason to think that competitive basketball is over with because of the rule. WCBB is already top heavy.

I'm just not sure how much more it will be. I don't think that much. If a player wants to leave, they leave. I wonder how many players decide to stay because they have to sit out a year. They do get to still PLAY four years so they don't lose that. And I bet there were plenty that were confident they would get that well sought out waiver to play right away.

Maybe 5-10% more transfers because of the new rule is my guess. That's something like 25-50 more transfers. Over 341 Div I schools.

I just don't see the reason to think that competitive basketball is over with because of the rule. WCBB is already top heavy.

I honestly believe that the number isn't so high now bc they do have to sit out
take away that penalty and it becomes advantage players/parents/kids instead of advantage coaches

I honestly believe that the number isn't so high now bc they do have to sit out
take away that penalty and it becomes advantage players/parents/kids instead of advantage coaches

I'd love to see some scientific study done on how many players would have transferred that didn't because of the 1 year rule. That number is the number of players it would increase after the rule changed. No more and no less.

And I believe if a player is not happy or wants to go to a winning program, the rule didn't stop them and they were willing to sit out a year to achieve happiness or winning or both.

I'd love to see some scientific study done on how many players would have transferred that didn't because of the 1 year rule. That number is the number of players it would increase after the rule changed. No more and no less.

And I believe if a player is not happy or wants to go to a winning program, the rule didn't stop them and they were willing to sit out a year to achieve happiness or winning or both.

I don't dispute that it does happen
I assert that it will happen at a much greater number of instances

c6f2647ac23b0c2e3f978008ca0fdfef.gif

So one group recommended the no sit out rule, the board didn't recommend, so now another group votes in May. For the love of God, someone just decide already.

I'm confused....
Has anything changed?

Does the player still sit out?

The NCAA Division I Board of Directors said Thursday that it does not recommend potential changes to the transfer waiver process....The Division I Council is expected to vote on a one-time transfer waiver in May

the way I read it is that the NCAA BOD do not recommend the change but it still has to go through the vote on May 20th

That's my take GT

With covid-19, what are the chances the 20-21 season even happens? Especially with experts predicting a second wave during the fall/winter.

With covid-19, what are the chances the 20-21 season even happens? Especially with experts predicting a second wave during the fall/winter.

There is a loaded topic. My bet is that if Kellie does not sign a back-up PG for Jordan, it probably won't matter. Unless there is a vaccine breakthrough, the odds of college sports happening are not looking all that promising.

There is a loaded topic. My bet is that if Kellie does not sign a back-up PG for Jordan, it probably won't matter. Unless there is a vaccine breakthrough, the odds of college sports happening are not looking all that promising.
Several D1 football programs announced today they are looking to start “spring” practice in June. I think the push is on to have a season, and I think it will happen.

Reactions: Benionsopinion
Several D1 football programs announced today they are looking to start “spring” practice in June. I think the push is on to have a season, and I think it will happen.

I really hope that outcome materalizes. The loss in revenue from no Fall football and basketball would be a a huge blow to college athletics and women's sports would be particularly hard hit.

I remain skeptical because pro leagues have put forward numerous dates to start practice only to have the timeline pushed back. We can just hope for the best

I really hope that outcome materalizes. The loss in revenue from no Fall football and basketball would be a a huge blow to college athletics and women's sports would be particularly hard hit.

I remain skeptical because pro leagues have put forward numerous dates to start practice only to have the timeline pushed back. We can just hope for the best
I think it will be decided in this next month
after they let out a little on the reins for covid-19 and see if there is a backlash, they can then decide better on the immediate future

There is a loaded topic. My bet is that if Kellie does not sign a back-up PG for Jordan, it probably won't matter. .
How so? Do you mean if we don't get a back up PG we're better off without a season? LOL, I'm all kinds of worried about the PG situation but not quite as dire as that.

We seem to be "normalizing" at the same rapid rate we shut down in. Can't wrap my head around normalizing mass death but I never thought we could normalize school shootings either. I think sports is happening, at first probably with nods toward distancing, etc.

Reactions: 1reVOLver
How so? Do you mean if we don't get a back up PG we're better off without a season? LOL, I'm all kinds of worried about the PG situation but not quite as dire as that.

We seem to be "normalizing" at the same rapid rate we shut down in. Can't wrap my head around normalizing mass death but I never thought we could normalize school shootings either. I think sports is happening, at first probably with nods toward distancing, etc.

It is the reverse your inference. If there is no season, the backup PG question is rendered moot.

I want to be wrong and I hope for some unexpected medical breakthrough that breaks the back of the pandemic. But the warnings of an even more virulent second wave coming in Fall and late winter, raises a non-trivial possibility that we might not see much NCAA b-ball for 2020-21. If that were to transpire, well, depth is not much of an issue when there are no games to play.

Reactions: 1reVOLver and lvocd
It is the reverse your inference. If there is no season, the backup PG question is rendered moot.

I want to be wrong and I hope for some unexpected medical breakthrough that breaks the back of the pandemic. But the warnings of an even more virulent second wave coming in Fall and late winter, raises a non-trivial possibility that we might not see much NCAA b-ball for 2020-21. If that were to transpire, well, depth is not much of an issue when there are no games to play.

I am sad to say I will be shocked if there is a 2020-21 season. Unfortunately, the odds seem low that there will be either a reliable preventative vaccine, or a cure for those dianosed with COVID-19, anytime soon. Like I said, I hope and pray to be wrong!

VN Store

Back