Next year's roster

Yet he still played 30 minutes a game. Johnson and JJJ will both get 30 minutes a game as will Fulky and Pons. Springer, Vescovi and Anosike will all 3 get somewhere between 20-25 minutes a game I think. Playing time is going to be hard to come by for Walker, Gaines, Pember, Big O, Uros and the football guys.

JJJ had a lot of minutes because of the roster. His MPG were inflated with Turner out, Bowden ineffective as a PG, and even JJ not taking a bigger role.

Yet he still played 30 minutes a game. Johnson and JJJ will both get 30 minutes a game as will Fulky and Pons. Springer, Vescovi and Anosike will all 3 get somewhere between 20-25 minutes a game I think. Playing time is going to be hard to come by for Walker, Gaines, Pember, Big O, Uros and the football guys.

According to you Johnson, JJJ, Fulky and Pons all get 30mpg, and then Springer, Vescovi and Anosike get 20-25mpg.

That’s a combined 180-195mpg between those 7, so you’re leaving 5-20mpg for Bailey, Walker, Gaines, ORN, Plavsic and/or Pember.

According to you Johnson, JJJ, Fulky and Pons all get 30mpg, and then Springer, Vescovi and Anosike get 20-25mpg.

That’s a combined 180-195mpg between those 7, so you’re leaving 5-20mpg for Bailey, Walker, Gaines, ORN, Plavsic and/or Pember.
Yeah, that is not realistic, at all.

JJJ had a lot of minutes because of the roster. His MPG were inflated with Turner out, Bowden ineffective as a PG, and even JJ not taking a bigger role.
He had a lot of minutes because he does a lot for the team. I'm flabbergasted that anyone would think it would be for different reasons.

I don't think Bailey will play much at all next year, 5 minutes a game at the most.

Yes, those last 6 guys will be scratching and clawing for very limited minutes.

I’ll give it a shot

JJJ 20, Springer 15, Bailey 5
SV 20, springer 5, Johnson 10, Bailey 5
Johnson 10, JJJ 10, walker 5, Ticket 15
EJA 20, Walker 10, Olivier 10
Fulky 25, Olivier 10, Uros 5

Don’t think so.

Think you’re gonna see more like 2 years ago when nobody got more than 28mpg, 7 guys all at 20+ and then 3 guys at 5-10mpg.
That was a 16-16 team who's best player at the time in Hubbs was injured all season. Most of those guys weren't ready for big minutes. We now have talent that is physically ready for those type minutes. This also may be our last chance for a while to have this kind of talented roster considering that it's possible we could lose 5 of our top guys after next year. The best 7 are going to get a ton of minutes.

That was a 16-16 team who's best player at the time in Hubbs was injured all season. Most of those guys weren't ready for big minutes. We now have talent that is physically ready for those type minutes. This also may be our last chance for a while to have this kind of talented roster considering that it's possible we could lose 5 of our top guys after next year. The best 7 are going to get a ton of minutes.
That was actually a 26-9 team that won the SEC...I’ll bet you whatever you want 4 guys aren’t averaging 30+mpg and that 7 guys aren’t combining for 180+mpg.

Clearly, Bailey is the wildcard. I have seen it suggested he may be our leading scorer, and I have seen it suggested that he won't a enrage 5 minutes per game. That is quite the spread.
If he can be a consistent perimeter shooter (which we need) I figure he would get 14-15 at least per game. Any other minute more or less will depend on if he buys in or not defensively to what Barnes wants. Barnes rules. If he doesn’t shoot well or play D he won’t play. Every write-up I have read about Bailey is that he is almost exclusively a perimeter scorer who has athletic ability to drive to the basket, but doesn’t. And that his success for the perimeter dictates every other aspect of his game, thus when he doesn’t shoot well, he does nothing well. Let’s hope he was able to mature this last season.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
If he can be a consistent perimeter shooter (which we need) I figure he would get 14-15 at least per game. Any other minute more or less will depend on if he buys in or not defensively to what Barnes wants.
Schwartz recently described him as a pitbull type of defender similar to Lamonte Turner, so I don't think defense will be an issue for Bailey.

On a side note, if two of the three of Bailey, Springer, or JJJ can handle the point guard position effectively, SV could be the odd man out. Bailey, Springer, and Johnson have been described by the coaches as pitbull defenders and JJJ has been described as a guy who can do the make it up plays on defense. The only thing the coaches have stated about SV is they think he will improve defensively with better conditioning. If those guys are significantly better on defense and can score on offense, SV might be behind all those guys in the rotation.

Last edited:
He would be committing career suicide if he did. He has got to learn how to dribble before the NBA calls. Terrible year to take a chance on the draft as well. I'd be shocked if he were to try and go pro, sounds like Barnes is expecting him back.

IMO, I agree the smart move is to come back and further develop his skills especially his dribbling. I’ve always thought if your projected as a first rounder you have to go and take the guaranteed money. Too much can change or go wrong to risk coming back. If one GM promises to take him round one then he should declare.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan

VN Store

Back