Latest Coronavirus - Yikes

Hospitals do not keep their doors open with Medicaid. Private and commercial payers is what keeps the lights on. The massive jump in copays and premiums drove the rural hospitals out of business due to lower volume. Also the EMR mandate was an expensive cost to providers causing many small town clinicians to join large groups or simply retire. Guess what? This caused less volume also. Thanks for taking the time to let me educate you.
its so funny to see people who simply parrot political group talking points without even having an inkling of what actually is going on

No, he's saying 1/2 the top 10 with most closings expanded Medi under ACA. But you know that.
Of course I now what he is saying.
I was just "humorously" pointing out that he said it incorrectly.
Hogg then came back with some Dud statement insinuating I was the one who was misstaken.

That may the greatest stretch in PF history. Congrats.
Plus, getting pregnant is not always preventable and the other is indeed at least partially controllable.
Getting pregnant is not always preventable? I think your dad might have left out a few important details when he gave you “the talk”

Reactions: FLVOL_79
I didn’t say medically necessary, I said emergency. Vastly different. I need glasses but I don’t have them right now because I can’t afford them on even what most would consider to be good insurance. I also have what I’m guessing to be a cavity on the left side of my mouth and have had an undiagnosed pain in my left foot for at least 3 months all because I can’t afford to have them treated. Those are all likely require medically necessary treatment not emergency treatment.

So I’m left to manage those things without medical treatment. I’m not complaining about it, it’s just the facts of what I’m dealing with. In Canada I could at least seek medical treatment without fear of cost for the treatment.
That would be great if everyone would pay in but they won’t...... I will end up paying even more to help pay for insurance that don’t want to work.

Reactions: Sandman 423
If it’s a true emergency you’ll get the care you need. If it’s something that can wait, then it can wait. That another problem with America healthcare. Unnecessary emergency medical treatment. In Canada for example, if you go to the ER with a gallbladder attack they schedule your surgery and send you home with a diet to follow to help prevent future attacks. In the US they’d do the surgery right away, which further drives up the cost of care. Many times a gallbladder attack isn’t life threatening and doesn’t need emergency treatment but in the US it’s treated like it does.

My wife couldn’t have withstood the pain from her gallbladder attack for 2-3 weeks.

OK, time for me to be a bit of a Debbie Downer.​
Caveat: Cuomo says hospital admissions are going down - and that is solid data. So hopefully will be a positive sign for things to come. However, I'm not as confident as I was before today that this actually reflects cases peaking. It could - but the testing actually doesn't support that. Again - I wonder if hospital admission is dropping because more and more people are being given hydroxychloroquine before arriving at the hospital. But - that should be an easy question? Did Cuomo lift his ban on prescribing HCQ outside of urgent care or hospitals? If not, then I would have to question if that is what is causing the drop.​
Anyway - the reason I'm not confident that the testing suggests we have reached peak NY new cases/day is below.​
I pulled all the positive + negative test data from New York and compared their trend in positive /day vs. total tests / day. We are basing a lot of our optimism in New York around the fact that new cases / day are dropping. However, here are the data.​
Optimistic: Cases/Day Peaked in NY​
3/30 6984​
3/31 9298​
4/1 7917​
4/2 8669​
4/3 10482 (Peak)​
4/4 10841 (Peak)​
4/5 8327​
4/6 8658​
4/7 8174​
4/8 10453 (Uh-Oh)​
Pessimism Total Tests / Day Peak in NY​
3/30 14108​
3/31 18718​
4/1 15694​
4/2 18085​
4/3 21555 (Peak)​
4/4 23101 (Peak)​
4/5 18659​
4/6 18531​
4/7 19247​
4/8 25095 (Hmm....)​
We cleared about 40,000 pending tests over the weekend of April 3/4 nationally. Some of these must have been in NY because you see a clear spike up over that weekend in tests/day. But, you also see that is what we "saw" as the peak cases in NY. In fact, we ran about 3-4k new cases, and surprise, we had 1.5-2k more cases on those days because we are basically running at 50% positive tests in NY.​
I'm not so confident this is peaking there.​
Hopefully I'm wrong.​
Or at least, hopefully hospital admissions are peaking due to treatments (if not case numbers) and we'll see fewer deaths/day starting sometime next week perhaps.​
Honestly it is better if cases are still growing but deaths start going down. Because we'll hit herd immunity with fewer deaths that way vs. keeping people from getting infected by social distancing, but then having a hard time getting back to work without it blowing up again.​
I think it will flatten but not decrease for a while.

Remember when Jon Crompton lost us all those games and then later became a decent QB and won us some games? He didn’t retroactively have blame taken away for his 2008 failures.

You cited models being bad. I mentioned a confounding variable. You then mentioned a specific date. I immediately granted that the aforementioned variable would not be applicable for that specific date and mentioned another. And here we are a million comments later.
Crompton had so much hype...

Joint replacements very rarely need immediate medical treatment. They do however have a huge quality of life improvement. I should know, I work in total joint replacement surgery.

And I wasn’t saying they’re equal, I was just giving my own personal example. Also I don’t think the Canadian system is perfect but in the long run it’s better than what we have here. Rich people here get the care they need while poor people put it off. In Canada those rich enough come here while the poor people wait. I’ll take waiting everyday over putting it off. But that’s just me.
What is your take on outpatient hip replacement surgery? My brother was supposed to have one of his hips replaced this month until the virus shook things up? I had never heard of outpatient hip surgery, but apparently it's an option if you're healthy enough.

Reactions: Grey_pilgrim
I didn’t say medically necessary, I said emergency. Vastly different. I need glasses but I don’t have them right now because I can’t afford them on even what most would consider to be good insurance. I also have what I’m guessing to be a cavity on the left side of my mouth and have had an undiagnosed pain in my left foot for at least 3 months all because I can’t afford to have them treated. Those are all likely require medically necessary treatment not emergency treatment.

So I’m left to manage those things without medical treatment. I’m not complaining about it, it’s just the facts of what I’m dealing with. In Canada I could at least seek medical treatment without fear of cost for the treatment.
Where do you live?

Also, a lot of those programs reimburse so poorly that there is abuse, over diagnosis, and other types of fraud, mostly at the patient’s expense.

Sounds to me that you need a new job.

Your first quote basically backed up what I said could be possible, even if it is less than 10% right now at your utility. Your second paragraph assumes that I was suggesting it would be an overnight process to modify every home. I never made that claim. I am simy saying that the ability to control residential breakers is well within reach. As I clearly stated earlier, it could be phased in with changes in the electrical codes that made provisions to include these new devices. Obviously, that would take time to trickle it's way to every home. I'm fully aware of that.

Are you guys trying to be contentious and argue minor details or argue things I never claimed?

My first quote was not in reply to something you said is possible. It was in reply to something you said you were sure of. You said this...

I'm sure right now the smart meters now can only operate the main circuit coming in to your home.

You can't possibly be sure of this, because this statement is wrong. The smart meters now cannot operate the main circuit coming into any location. I have a smart meter at my house. It cannot interrupt my service by any remote function. Only meters with RCDC capabilities can do that. That is not a function of a typical smart meter. In order to interrupt my service, a technician would have to come to my house, physically remove the smart meter, and install boots.

As to controlling individual breakers at a customer location, I'm not even going to engage that conversation. If you consider broadly labeling something that nearly every residence has on their electrical service as having capabilities that only a small percentage do in regards to disconnecting and reconnecting as a minor detail, then yes, I am arguing minor details. I consider it as informing someone who has now been shown by multiple posters as being out of his depth on a certain topic (shocking, I know, since you are the resident expert on every topic imaginable) that his tin foil hat may not be necessary due to his misunderstanding of what smart meters actually do.

VN Store

Back