Latest Coronavirus - Yikes

False again, the ACA has caused several hospitals to close down and it has little to do with Medicaid in the states
No, according to Ernst and Young, states who rejected expanded Medicaid were going to lose rural hospitals. That forecast was made in 2014 and it has come true.

Last edited:
But wasn't SC a huge hot spot? Why are they closing hospitals?
MUSC Lancaster, Chester laying off workers, closing parts of hospitals
From the article, Chester is a rural area, and it is laying off due to money problems as well. So what is your point? There are a lot of rural hospitals closing all over America.

It's due to having the normal business of the hospitals stifled by governors' overreaction:

“Like many other healthcare systems across the nation and around the world, the COVID-19 virus has placed tremendous financial pressure on MUSC Health,” it reads. “To help flatten the curve of the COVID-19 pandemic, South Carolina government officials encouraged social distancing strategies and urged all hospitals to halt or significantly reduce surgical procedures and other patient care activities that were not urgent or emergent.
Since, it continues, MUSC Health surgical volume is down 75%. Ambulatory encounters are down 70% and inpatient encounters are down 30%. https://www.heraldonline.com/news/coronavirus/article241834871.html

This is happening nationally. Coronavirus pandemic jobs: US health care workers furloughed, laid off

Last edited:
No, according to Ernst and Young, states who rejected expanded Medicaid were going to lose rural hospitals. That forecast was made in 2012 and it has come true.

Almost every state regardless of whether the expanded Medicare or not has had hospital close since ACA was adopted.

State-by-state breakdown of 120 rural hospital closures: Nearly one in five Americans live in rural areas and depend on their local hospital for care. Over the past 10 years, 120 of those hospitals have closed.

A blue check reporter from The Atlantic lamenting that unemployment isn't higher. It's a shame that we can't rule these hacks non-essentials and make them live on unemployment for while.

That takes what she’s saying out of context. She’s essentially saying that fewer people working = faster the virus dies off.

She’s making a value judgement that life > money. Which isn’t wrong. Essentially everybody is performing that same analysis and almost everybody is coming to the same conclusion she did. It’s not like she’s some social deviant advocating for more people to suffer.

I agree that her end conclusion is wrong because a) most states are not trying to eradicate the virus with social distancing, but to maintain it at medically manageable levels and b) as has been pointed out over the last several days, not every area is at risk of reaching critical levels.

🤦🏻‍♂️

That takes what she’s saying out of context. She’s essentially saying that fewer people working = faster the virus dies off.

She’s making a value judgement that life > money. Which isn’t wrong. Essentially everybody is performing that same analysis and almost everybody is coming to the same conclusion she did. It’s not like she’s some social deviant advocating for more people to suffer.

I agree that her end conclusion is wrong because a) most states are not trying to eradicate the virus with social distancing, but to maintain it at medically manageable levels and b) as has been pointed out over the last several days, not every area is at risk of reaching critical levels.
I actually talked to her on Twitter and she said she could have worded it better...she wants everyone to be safe and get UI my take was few people can survive very long on it...she actually seems like a decent reporter

Ben Shapiro has been talking about this same thing for a couple of weeks. The significant loss of jobs may create more of a health impact than the virus itself. The loss of jobs has the potential to bring additional stress to individuals which will will lead to depression in a lot of cases. Depression has the potential to lead to increased suicide rates etc.

He has really been clamoring that we need a plan for getting back to work and a vision of what that looks like because as the lockdowns continue the effects on the economy are only going to increase.
I would argue at least half of the country needs to get back before May 1. This is a Government caused collapse, they have got to let the people get back at it.

Reactions: BennesseeVols
Trump's message exactly paralleled the medical experts and the WHO. Your claim has no basis.
I think Trump was trying to keep ppl from panicking...there was the claim from Obama's health care chief of 1 million dead in the US alone and Trump did setup the task force and shut down travel early. You are also right about WHO most of January they were downplaying (cashing Chinese checks) the virus

Attachments

• IMG_20200409_031549.png
    IMG_20200409_031549.png
    110.2 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: NCFisher
You are claiming model failure due to the difficulties of the modelers to grasp all the varying activities by governors? Is that correct?

I would say that’s one issue. Like the other guy said, it’s hard to anticipate how many people adhere to the recommendations and to what degree.

When they were modeling unimpeded growth, things were very accurate.

I actually talked to her on Twitter and she said she could have worded it better...she wants everyone to be safe and get UI my take was few people can survive very long on it...she actually seems like a decent reporter
I agree. $1000 a month is not enough to live off of, without other income.

We’re starting to see a lot of right wing mouthpieces advocate to reopen the economy and we haven’t even begun to consistently trend down, yet. I think that will be a mistake but I’m guessing.

The unconstitutional house arrest (stay home) order expires the 14th for Tennessee, what will our worthless POS governor do with his newly discovered power? I would wager he extends it

Reactions: davethevol
The unconstitutional house arrest (stay home) order expires the 14th for Tennessee, what will our worthless POS governor do with his newly discovered power? I would wager he extends it
I tried to leave my house yesterday and the stormtroopers immediately apprehended me and beat me within an inch of my life. Trying times.

I would say that’s one issue. Like the other guy said, it’s hard to anticipate how many people adhere to the recommendations and to what degree.

When they were modeling unimpeded growth, things were very accurate.

But the 04/01 IHME was off bad for the 04/05 projections. And then updated 04/05 and was still off significantly for the very next day's projection. How is that due to actions by the governors?

But the 04/01 IHME was off bad for the 04/05 projections. And then updated 04/05 and was still off significantly for the very next day's projection. How is that due to actions by the governors?
That wouldn’t be the explanation for that particular projection. More likely a new therapy or protocol would be decreasing the number of people needing to be admitted. I’m not really sure why that’s especially relevant, though. We aren’t social distancing because of a projection that came out in April.

I think Trump was trying to keep ppl from panicking...there was the claim from Obama's health care chief of 1 million dead in the US alone and Trump did setup the task force and shut down travel early. You are also right about WHO most of January they were downplaying (cashing Chinese checks) the virus

I've several posts detailing that into March, Birx and Fauci were telling us the risk to Americans was very, very low, even telling in late Feb the real worry is seasonal influenza, not C19. As late as March 10, we had 1300 confirmed cases and our medical experts were telling us
"What we're saying today, is that although we continue to come in an say appropriately, that as a nation the risk is relatively low, there are parts of the country right now that are having community spread which is clearly a bit more than that, etc."

Skip to 7:00 mark https://www.youtube.com/wat...

Who didn't declare it a global pandemic until Mar 11. On Feb 24, WHO stated:
GENEVA (Reuters) - The coronavirus outbreak can still be beaten, the World Health Organization said on Monday, insisting it was premature to declare it a pandemic even though it had the potential to reach that level.

"The key message that should give all countries hope, courage and confidence is that this virus can be contained, indeed there are many countries that have done exactly that," WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus told a news conference in Geneva.

"Using the word 'pandemic' now does not fit the facts but may certainly cause fear," he added as the number of cases continued to mount internationally and financial markets spun lower.

"We must focus on containment while doing everything we can to prepare for a potential pandemic."

Tedros said a sudden increase of cases in Italy, Iran and South Korea were
"deeply concerning" but for now authorities were not seeing an uncontained global spread of the virus or witnessing widespread serious cases or deaths.
https://news.yahoo.com/says...

Trump's msg wasn't simply based upon preventing panic, but the information he got from the experts. Their own words tell us this and incriminate the months-old arguments that he was "downplaying" the outbreak, as revisionist history. This propaganda has been blatant in the last week's articles in WaPo, NYT, and ABC.

Reactions: VolnJC
False again, the ACA has caused several hospitals to close down and it has little to do with Medicaid in the states
You are so wrong it is not even funny. Medicaid expansion funneled more money to rural hospitals. However Conservative governors that refused to expand to satisfy their base doomed rural hospitals.
More Rural Hospitals Closing in States Refusing Medicaid Coverage Expansion
city center
One of the reasons rural hospitals needed that money is because some people that don't have insurance, use the emergency room as a doctors office. If they can't pay, the hospital eats that or passes it on to the other patients. In city centers, that margin does not affect their bottom line as much. More patients, more money to cover costs.

Reactions: Mick and OHvol40
That wouldn’t be the explanation for that particular projection. More likely a new therapy or protocol would be decreasing the number of people needing to be admitted. I’m not really sure why that’s especially relevant, though. We aren’t social distancing because of a projection that came out in April.

Just wanted to get clarification on your defense of the model....being due to the difficulties in dealing with the actions of the governors.

VN Store

Back