Latest Coronavirus - Yikes

From the article, Chester is a rural area, and it is laying off due to money problems as well. So what is your point? There are a lot of rural hospitals closing all over America.

It's almost like maybe a profit motive and ensuring that all Americans have access to healthcare aren't BFFs.

From the article, Chester is a rural area, and it is laying off due to money problems as well. So what is your point? There are a lot of rural hospitals closing all over America.
We were going to need all of these beds due to the outbreak, even with social distancing 2 million alone were going to die. South Carolina was a growing hot spot and it would need every bed it could get.

It's almost like maybe a profit motive and ensuring that all Americans have access to healthcare aren't BFFs.

I can only comment on what is happening at the hospital in our area but I would say that their strategy plays into this situation as well. Our local hospital revealed earlier this week that they will be laying off around 400 employees. A couple of weeks back they postponed elective surgeries and other things to ensure that they had ample capacity in the event this virus were to hit our area hard. The hospital currently has two wings that are ghost towns and open in the event this virus hits. The unfortunate thing is that when you have zero business in those areas there is no reason to have the employees on site which really makes sense. Also elective surgeries are a significant revenue stream for our hospital which further emphasizes the reason to not have the employees on site at the time. The ER is still open but people are scared to go to the ER with this thing going around. Let's be honest the ER is the last place I want to be while a pandemic is going on and this is yet another additional revenue stream that has dried up.

Although several have been laid off if you required medical attention you still have full access to it. As I have talked to several who work at the hospital the reasoning for this at the time makes sense you do not want to have minimal open capacity in the event that this thing hits us like a freight train and you certainly don't want to put that many workers/other patients at risk. Once this blows over the elective surgeries will come back, folks will be more comfortable going to the ER and your job will most certainly come back.

You're comment on the profit motive and ensuring Americans have access to healthcare is highly off base.

We were going to need all of these beds due to the outbreak, even with social distancing 2 million alone were going to die. South Carolina was a growing hot spot and it would need every bed it could get.
You know south carolina is a state and not a city. Are they suppose to ship sick patients from one part of south carolina to chester? Right now outbreaks are concentrated to urban areas. Gradually getting to the suburbs and rural areas as people travel. It's almost as if you don't know how viruses are spread. Like here in Georgia, the largest metropolitan areas are being hit pretty hard.

Indeed, so weird how being isolated limits spread of a virus. You'd think people doing models would have considered it.
It’s almost like it’s really hard to predict exactly how that would play out with 50 different governors doing 50 different things on 50 different timetables.

im very “green” on an individual basis. Large solar and wind farms do not make sense as it just creates more infrastructure to take care. Encouraging individuals to install solar and wind at their house’s or business is where the focus of alternative energy should be

I absolutely agree.

One of our acreage requirements is a running water source so we can utilize hydroelectric and always have water along with rain water collection and storage. We’ve already got mass filtration at a 99.999% water purity accounted for.

Reactions: Orangeslice13
It’s almost like it’s really hard to predict exactly how that would play out with 50 different governors doing 50 different things on 50 different timetables.

Yea, so difficult when you have 41k hospitalizations on 04/05, then roll out your new projection that night, which then shows 98k projected hospitilizations for 4/06.

It was a governors issue.

I'm sure right now the smart meters now can only operate the main circuit coming in to your home.

This isn't correct. I think you are under the impression that all smart meters have RCDC capabilities. Of the roughly 2.5M customers serviced by my employer, I would guess less than 10% of customers have meters with RCDC capabilities. The vast majority of smart meters on our system only detect voltage loss and overheating with no ability to disconnect or reconnect remotely. The voltage loss high temp data is used for troubleshooting and outage verification.

RCDC capable meters are used in areas of high turnover (certain apartment complexes) and high cut off rates. If a customer has a history of not paying their bill, a technician may install a meter that is RCDC capable to prevent future trips to the location to cut power in the field.

But it would not be very hard for a utility to easily send SCADA signals to a smart meter or smart distribution panel to turn of individual circuits.

If you say this wouldn't be hard based on a technical sense, you are correct. If you say this from a practical sense, this isn't correct for the reasons noted above. A utility would have to replace all existing smart meters with meters that have RCDC capabilities. When my employer initiated a system wide smart meter project in the mid to late 2000's, the initiative was extremely labor intensive and lasted roughly three years. This would require PSC approval to remove and discard millions of smart meters with meters that are RCDC capable, and this would have a direct impact to rate payers. I don't see any scenario where this would be desired by the utility or approved by the PSC.

He did some helpful things, certainly. A lot was left up to the governors.

As it should have been with States rights and all that. Governors should know the needs of their States way better than a generic one sized cover all issued on a federal level. I think that’s exactly why Trump was pressuring and calling out states to get with it. He’s not wanted to be forced into the alternative as in a federal level lock down.

Reactions: GVF
Yea, so difficult when you have 41k hospitalizations on 04/05, then roll out your new projection that night, which then shows 98k projected hospitilizations for 4/06.

It was a governors issue.
So is your contention that the inaccuracy of models after social distancing policies went into effect evidence that all of our epidemiological models have been worthless?

Reactions: titansvolsfaninga
im very “green” on an individual basis. Large solar and wind farms do not make sense as it just creates more infrastructure to take care. Encouraging individuals to install solar and wind at their house’s or business is where the focus of alternative energy should be

Agreed. Instead of giving companies like Solendra millions the .gov should have doled the money out to home and business owners to install green energy production on their properties.

SCADA is a antiquated system being phased out by most utility companies. It was used primarily for remote switching in the field on transmission circuits. as far as I know, it has never been used on distribution circuits. At least not in Chattanooga. EPB now uses PCR's (Pulse Circuit Reclosers) commonly referred to as smart switches operated off fiber optics to do much of their field switching. The smart meters can most defiantly sense load swings on individual hot legs coming to your house in almost real time. That is used to help troubleshooters in the field locate possible problems at a customer's home such as a burnt block in the meter center.
I was simply using the term SCADA as an example. Sure, there are multiple ways of sending a signal to a remote device. My goodness, you are arguing minor details and overlooking the overall point that it would not be very hard at all to control individual devices in a residence with the technology available right now or in the very near future.

VN Store

Back