Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would’ve worked better if Stuart had made it through on the 3rd day. Ill advised either way probably.

Could also argue that they lost Gettysburg at Chancellorsville. Jackson probably takes Culps Hill on day 1.
Agree with both. Stuart showing up late was big. Having no Jackson was huge.

Just want to add to the me and Newt banter. I think we've known, since day one of me being on here, that we do not hold the same political views. I can also tell you, I don't believe Newt and I have ever said a cross word to each other on here either. It's a whole grade of slaw thing. Take the good and put up with the bad.

I am pretty sure that Newt is gay though. Just sayin'.

Longstreet said years after the war that as much as he loved Lee he was never able to completely forgive him for some of the decisions made that day.
Lee probably never forgave himself..

And another point to think on in this discussion..Stonewall Jackson dying at Charlottesville may have lost the battle of Gettysburg before it ever happened. Lee was a great general...Lee and Jackson together, for whatever reason, were freakin awesome.

Lee was missing his right arm.

Worked with a guy years ago who was a very accomplished artist as his hobby/secondary income. He did paintings of Civil War generals from both sides and would sell them as prints only or, if requested he would sell them framed. He was a big history buff as was I. At one time, I had two of his work, Gen. Lee and Stonewall Jackson and had them hanging in my living room. My newlywed wife made me take them down after she got moved in for two reasons, 1-they didn't fit her decor choices and 2-she had no clue who they were to begin with!

Lee probably never forgave himself..

And another point to think on in this discussion..Stonewall Jackson dying at Charlottesville may have lost the battle of Gettysburg before it ever happened. Lee was a great general...Lee and Jackson together, for whatever reason, were freakin awesome.

Lee was missing his right arm.
Lee himself said...Jackson may have lost his left arm, but in doing so, I have lost my right arm.

He 100% botched it the first few weeks and the response could have been much better and saved many more lives. There is no debating the terrible job early on.

But, eventually, he did get in line and repeat what his advisors told him to. He did what nearly every other leader did. Good for him. A real bronze star effort.

His actions in the private sector would deserve being reprimanded.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMe2002387

He did what his advisor like Fauci told him to do before mid March. They also thought it was a bad flu. Dr Fauci’s written words on 2-28 published in the New England Journal of Medicine

Not Lee's finest day...by far.

I personally believe Lee did make some critical mistakes. He was certainly hampered by Stuart leaving the army blind, and by Ewell's decision not to allow Early to take the East Cemetery Ridge after driving Union troops out of Gettysburg. But once it was clear the Union army was entrenched on the high ground, he really needed to reassess his battle plan. Granted, at that time he couldn't let his army sit indefinitely, and pulling out was not a good option with an army sitting right behind your retreat, but he did have other options that he did not really consider. But Longstreet had sent out scouts and new the Union's left flank was open. He put too much faith in the Confederate cannons being able to put accurate fire on the ridges (they ended up doing more damage to the rear echelon troops behind the ridges) before Pickett's charge. I think he had reached a point where he believed the army was indestructable and could accomplish anything. I also think he was weary of war and just wanted to get it over one way or the other.

It just pisses me off that soooo many landmarks and statues of some of the greatest military men and leaders have been destroyed, torn down or just removed all in the name of political correctness among other reasons.
I personally don’t care, but they did fight to keep people enslaved. I can see why some think it’s best to remove their statues.

Reactions: barrylee
I personally believe Lee did make some critical mistakes. He was certainly hampered by Stuart leaving the army blind, and by Ewell's decision not to allow Early to take the East Cemetery Ridge after driving Union troops out of Gettysburg. But once it was clear the Union army was entrenched on the high ground, he really needed to reassess his battle plan. Granted, at that time he couldn't let his army sit indefinitely, and pulling out was not a good option with an army sitting right behind your retreat, but he did have other options that he did not really consider. But Longstreet had sent out scouts and new the Union's left flank was open. He put too much faith in the Confederate cannons being able to put accurate fire on the ridges (they ended up doing more damage to the rear echelon troops behind the ridges) before Pickett's charge. I think he had reached a point where he believed the army was indestructable and could accomplish anything. I also think he was weary of war and just wanted to get it over one way or the other.
Agree. I think one of Lee's greatest mistake at Gettysburg was to not trust Longstreet enough. Longstreet was a great general in his own right. He wasn't quite as good as Jackson IMO, but was still a great general. Lee just didn't feel the same way about Longstreet as he did Jackson. Through the years have come to believe it may have been for religious reasons.

I personally don’t care, but they did fight to keep people enslaved. I can see why some think it’s best to remove their statues.
That is a whole new discussion. "They" as you say, IMO, for the most part did not fight to keep slavery. They fought for states rights. It was about 80 years removed from our country actually gaining independence. That independence was started because 13 "states" wanted to be independent of English monarchy. They chose to fight together for that independence. The original premise was for the independent states to be under one governance to make sure that happened.

seinfeld-not-that-theres-anything-wrong-with-that-gif-3.gif

Just want to add to the me and Newt banter. I think we've known, since day one of me being on here, that we do not hold the same political views. I can also tell you, I don't believe Newt and I have ever said a cross word to each other on here either. It's a whole grade of slaw thing. Take the good and put up with the bad.

@BaldBiker to @bignewt
tenor (73).gif

Who hurt you Baldy? Did your prostate doctor have overly large hands? It ok to tell us, this is a safe space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back