Mac McClung

That statement is the very reason we don’t have a legitimate argument.

Even the best player in the country......we wouldn’t know exactly how he would preform on a totally different team.....in a totally different system.

But for real, as long as Tennessee doesn’t see them in the tourney, I hope he can score 30 or 40 per game. I want anyone and everyone (not connected to Tennessee in some manner as an opponent) to succeed.

I understand he has succeeded, and I think he will continue to do so, but maybe he not like your thinking. I also think he is right where he needs to be.........somewhere he fits in, and has been given the opportunity.
The best player in the country whoever that might be would obviously be the best player on any team he played on . Your argument is laughable. I can’t believe you believe the nonsense you are posting.

Reactions: k-town_king
With it apparent that Barnes missed on a Point Guard in the last 2 recruiting classes, it would have been nice to have Mac McClung. If you look at his offer list, a lot of big
time programs missed on this 3 star recruit. However, if you watch his high school tape, it is incredible. Evaluating talent is certainly huge and to completely wiff on someone
basically from Kingsport I do not understand. I would assume Fulkerson would have played with Mac at some point.

Would welcome others thoughts on this.

Wait... you are already counting out Gaines and James 9 games into their Freshman years ?? 🤣🤣🤣

The best player in the country whoever that might be would obviously be the best player on any team he played on . Your argument is laughable. I can’t believe you believe the nonsense you are posting.

You don’t know much about basketball do you?

The best player may be having a great season, but drop them in another system on another team and it’s much different. Sure he will still be a great player, but would he still have the same stats? You don’t know, neither do I........but we do know “it doesn’t always work out.”

What is laughable is me showing that it doesn’t always work out........yet you insist that he would......as it’s a fact. As much as people want to make them now days opinion is still opinion.....and not fact.

I’ve said time after time, that Mac is a good player, and that he looks to be improving.......but somehow you want to convince me he is like the best thing going......and I simply don’t agree. I’m sorry he is a fine player.......no need to make it more than it is.

You don’t know much about basketball do you?

The best player may be having a great season, but drop them in another system on another team and it’s much different. Sure he will still be a great player, but would he still have the same stats? You don’t know, neither do I........but we do know “it doesn’t always work out.”

What is laughable is me showing that it doesn’t always work out........yet you insist that he would......as it’s a fact. As much as people want to make them now days opinion is still opinion.....and not fact.

I’ve said time after time, that Mac is a good player, and that he looks to be improving.......but somehow you want to convince me he is like the best thing going......and I simply don’t agree. I’m sorry he is a fine player.......no need to make it more than it is.
Never stated Mac they would have the same stats. I said he would start and be the leading scorer. Depending on the makeup of the team and the overall talent he may score 14-15 points a game or he could score 25 per game. The team may be balanced scoring with 5 players reaching double digits or they could rely only 2-3 players to score double digits.

Never stated Mac they would have the same stats. I said he would start and be the leading scorer. Depending on the makeup of the team and the overall talent he may score 14-15 points a game or he could score 25 per game. The team may be balanced scoring with 5 players reaching double digits or they could rely only 2-3 players to score double digits.

And I never said he wouldn’t.......as I don’t know.......and neither do you.

I said he would quickly have to get his D up to par just to gain considerable minutes. I also said this “could” be done, but none of us know how long that would take.

And I never said he wouldn’t.......as I don’t know.......and neither do you.

I said he would quickly have to get his D up to par just to gain considerable minutes. I also said this “could” be done, but none of us know how long that would take.
Defense - That is another topic that I do not agree with you on. I have not seen anything that suggests Mac is a defensive liability.

Who would you start him over?

Defense - That is another topic that I do not agree with you on. I have not seen anything that suggests Mac is a defensive liability.

He can jump, which is good, he is quick, but is often out of position, often lost on a switch, and does get beat on the drive......not all the time.

His D is very subpar for a team keeping opponents %’s down and scoring down.....which is what Tennessee wants to do.

Also I hope he can get back on the uptick, but as normal his stats go up and down.......tonight 25% & 0% scoring 8 points.

That is why overall statistics mean much more than simply......3 games in which he played well.

Again a good player, he will bounce back, but I wouldn’t call him “prolific” at the college level just yet.

He can jump, which is good, he is quick, but is often out of position, often lost on a switch, and does get beat on the drive......not all the time.

His D is very subpar for a team keeping opponents %’s down and scoring down.....which is what Tennessee wants to do.

Also I hope he can get back on the uptick, but as normal his stats go up and down.......tonight 25% & 0% scoring 8 points.

That is why overall statistics mean much more than simply......3 games in which he played well.

Again a good player, he will bounce back, but I wouldn’t call him “prolific” at the college level just yet.
He shot 4-12 in 24 minutes in a blow out win. I believe that is 33% not the 25% you stated. Still providing misleading information. I do not agree with your analysis at all on his defense. We are not going to reach common ground on our opinions.

He shot 4-12 in 24 minutes in a blow out win. I believe that is 33% not the 25% you stated. Still providing misleading information. I do not agree with your analysis at all on his defense. We are not going to reach common ground on our opinions.

Lol misleading information.......you serious Clark?

You keep spewing your opinion and trying to pass it off as fact.

I was wrong. He shot 33% (total), he shot 0% from 3, he had zero rebounds, he had 1 assist and 1 turnover, and scored 8 points.

How about misinformation.......you said Mac was “different” now that some of the guys left. You said he is a prolific scorer, you the one hyping him up and in the first game since your hype........bam.......rock bottom.

Exactly what I said, Mac is a good player for GT, he can score, but he isn’t “prolific” (in college.....yet) at anything.

The best way to make someone fail, is expect way more out of them than they have shown consistently capable of.

Kid is shooting 43% from 3 with a high volume of shots vs major D-1 competition. Hindsight being 20/20 he'd have been a definite take and would probably be playing big minutes for us, especially since Barnes offense is pretty good at getting open 3 pointers. A lot of the arguments against him were the same ones used against Lofton when discussing why Louisville and UK didn't offer him. We've had enough misses the last couple of years recruiting to easily think he'd be better than a few people we've signed in that time frame.

Reactions: K-town Vol Fan
Kid is shooting 43% from 3 with a high volume of shots vs major D-1 competition. Hindsight being 20/20 he'd have been a definite take and would probably be playing big minutes for us, especially since Barnes offense is pretty good at getting open 3 pointers. A lot of the arguments against him were the same ones used against Lofton when discussing why Louisville and UK didn't offer him. We've had enough misses the last couple of years recruiting to easily think he'd be better than a few people we've signed in that time frame.

Huh......Mac makes just under 2, 3’s per game. He has shot 27 3’s vs lower level competition, and he has shot 25 vs higher level competition........do you people just make stuff up?

[QUOTE="VolArmy74, post: 17699088, member: 62022"]Kid is shooting 43% from 3 with a high volume of shots vs major D-1 competition. Hindsight being 20/20 he'd have been a definite take and would probably be playing big minutes for us, especially since Barnes offense is pretty good at getting open 3 pointers. A lot of the arguments against him were the same ones used against Lofton when discussing why Louisville and UK didn't offer him. We've had enough misses the last couple of years recruiting to easily think he'd be better than a few people we've signed in that time frame.

Huh......Mac makes just under 2, 3’s per game. He has shot 27 3’s vs lower level competition, and he has shot 25 vs higher level competition........do you people just make stuff up?[/QUOTE]

He's 23-44 vs Villanova, Marquette, Duke, Oklahoma State, Syracuse and Texas in his brief to date career. He's currently made and shot more 3s than anyone on our team this year. He's a true sophomore. who's trajectory is pointing upwards. He has shown flashes of being an elite scorer already. Bowden is our best scorer. In his career to date he's scored 15+ points 22 times, 9 games into his senior season. McClung has scored 15+ 16 times 11 games into his sophomore season.

Huh......Mac makes just under 2, 3’s per game. He has shot 27 3’s vs lower level competition, and he has shot 25 vs higher level competition........do you people just make stuff up?

He's 23-44 vs Villanova, Marquette, Duke, Oklahoma State, Syracuse and Texas in his brief to date career. He's currently made and shot more 3s than anyone on our team this year. He's a true sophomore. who's trajectory is pointing upwards. He has shown flashes of being an elite scorer already. Bowden is our best scorer. In his career to date he's scored 15+ points 22 times, 9 games into his senior season. McClung has scored 15+ 16 times 11 games into his sophomore season.[/QUOTE]

I’m not saying he isn’t good......heck I’ve said time and time again that he is good for Georgetown.

I also wouldn’t say he is currently “trending upwards“. I gave him the benefit of the doubt yesterday as he had 3 good games in a row; however last night was not a good game for him.......as such he has been pretty up and down so far in his career.........however that should be expected as he is still young.

Also Mac scores 13.9 per.......that is really good, but it’s not like some have been arguing that he is somehow an elite scorer.......hopefully he can get there.

again you guys can argue apples to oranges all day, but no one knows what he would do here at Tennessee. I highly doubt he would get more than 12 minutes per game because is defense is NOT good, but again who knows.

I think some of you guys must have a Mac tattoo or something.......heck if your wishing, why wish for Mac a 13-14 point guy with no D when you could wish for Howard......a 25 point guy?

lol I didn’t know Swish was a Vol fan.

He's 23-44 vs Villanova, Marquette, Duke, Oklahoma State, Syracuse and Texas in his brief to date career. He's currently made and shot more 3s than anyone on our team this year. He's a true sophomore. who's trajectory is pointing upwards. He has shown flashes of being an elite scorer already. Bowden is our best scorer. In his career to date he's scored 15+ points 22 times, 9 games into his senior season. McClung has scored 15+ 16 times 11 games into his sophomore season.

I’m not saying he isn’t good......heck I’ve said time and time again that he is good for Georgetown.

I also wouldn’t say he is currently “trending upwards“. I gave him the benefit of the doubt yesterday as he had 3 good games in a row; however last night was not a good game for him.......as such he has been pretty up and down so far in his career.........however that should be expected as he is still young.

Also Mac scores 13.9 per.......that is really good, but it’s not like some have been arguing that he is somehow an elite scorer.......hopefully he can get there.

again you guys can argue apples to oranges all day, but no one knows what he would do here at Tennessee. I highly doubt he would get more than 12 minutes per game because is defense is NOT good, but again who knows.

I think some of you guys must have a Mac tattoo or something.......heck if your wishing, why wish for Mac a 13-14 point guy with no D when you could wish for Howard......a 25 point guy?

lol I didn’t know Swish was a Vol fan.[/QUOTE]

He's trending upwards, he is averaging 15.4 ppg this season after averaging 13 last year. He's had multiple 30 point games already and several more in the mid 20s. Lofton went from 13 to 17 from freshman to sophomore year and also shot 43 percent from 3. McClung's numbers are up this year across the board except his minutes played are actually less so far. He's scoring more, shooting more 3s at a better rate, his free throw percentage is up 13 percent, his steals are up and his turnovers are down. Not particularly sure why that isn't trending upwards. If he gets 28+ minutes per game the rest of the season I'll be surprised if at the end of the year he doesn't average around 17ppg. You seem to think he's awful on defense, I don't think that's the case, but even if he did only get 12 mpg here (very unlikely since we can't score at times this year and he can score) that's better than the 0mpg we are getting from the Zach Kent's of the world. Throw in that he was a legacy recruit with multiple family members who played sports at UT and you're going to see these what if's the remainder of his career.

While he may have been just a 3 star recruit, he was one of the most popular and well known recruits in the nation. Between being a small white guy who can dunk like that and his cousin being a famous rapper, he had many viral moments before even getting to Georgetown. He has a lengthy Wikipedia page which is evidence of how well known he’s been.

That being said, as a program we’ve kind of shoehorned ourselves into a certain kind of recruit: a kid that is extremely religious. To a man, every single player on the team is devoutly religious. Outside of basketball, it’s the one joining force on the team. Since Barnes has taken over religion and faith has played a big role in the team. For example Kyle Alexander and Bowden being baptized mid season, and every players social media displaying how important their faith is. It’s not a bad thing, as it’s made for a very mature and high character team, but limits us in the guys we can target to guys who are religious (and it shows in the guys we recruit).

I think McClung likely falls under the category of not “fitting in” with the program
That's highly assumptive of you. Mac's a good kid from a good family. He would fit in fine.

That's highly assumptive of you. Mac's a good kid from a good family. He would fit in fine.

If the whole team is pretty seriously religious (which they are), and Mac isn’t, I would say he wouldn’t really fit in.

Mac was a big miss by Rick Barnes imo. 100 miles from UT campus. He is definitely more of an offensive player but honestly that's all we are missing right now. If we signed this kid we would probably be undefeated right now.

JUST IN: Gate City native Mac McClung, who's been playing college basketball at Georgetown, has declared for the NBA Draft

VN Store

Back