Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re-watching Tennessee Kentucky football game. Love watching our defense wipe that smug look off Bowden's face during the course of the game.

That *may* be my favorite game from this past season. I thought we were gonna get run out of the stadium with the way Kentucky was moving the ball early on, and then Pruitt's defense just locked it down. That goal-line stand is something to remember.

Watching the 2020 Gator Bowl now. The 2019 Vols were a lot of fun and I hope they represent the turning of the corner.

I think the pledge should be mandatory in k-12. Children should be taught to have pride in their country. Obviously, because I believe in individual civil liberties, I don't believe in forcing adults to say the pledge, but at the same time I have serious misgivings about anyone who won't.
Wtf. Make kids recite something before they can understand it right through their formative years until they do it unthinkingly? That’s indoctrination, not liberty. Wow.

Every time I read about a percentage of asymptomatic positives, they rarely say how many developed symptoms sometime after the test is administered. When they do, the number that stay asymptomatic seem to drop by quite a bit.

In other words, they often test folks that just haven't become symptomatic yet. Nailing down a true number is going to be really hard.
The studies I looked at considered the ones who eventually showed symptoms. I believe those numbers to be pretty accurate.

Leave it for the parents. Those are things I agree with, but I don’t want the State doing it. For decades (perhaps a century) their policy makers have had it out for those ideals, so I would never trust them to effectively convey the sentiment and nuance underlying those particular policies.

Who knows anymore?! However, I do think this thing has been in this country a lot longer than they will admit.
Who knows with these things? Somehow the 1918 flu virus got to be known as the Spanish flu simply because Madrid was the first big city to get wiped out. But we had big outbreaks in the US first. I can't find the details of the research now, but I remember reading but they had narrowed it down to that it evolved on the pig farm in Alabama.

I think the pledge should be mandatory in k-12. Children should be taught to have pride in their country. Obviously, because I believe in individual civil liberties, I don't believe in forcing adults to say the pledge, but at the same time I have serious misgivings about anyone who won't.

As long as it the individual states conducting background checks. I 100% oppose any suggestion of a universal background check, which is in essence a national database for the federal government to know who has weapons. As history has shown elsewhere, that is a step towards gun confiscation.

I also wish people would quit referring to AR15-style platforms as 'assault weapons'. A semi-automatic weapon is not even close to being a military assault weapon, but I am curious as to what limitations you would put on an AR-15. It is against the law to have a fully automatic rifle so I can't imagine what government other limitations a semi-automatic rifle would need.
The Federal Government already knows who has weapons. Anyone who thinks their personal arsenal or neighborhood watch group would stand a ghost of a chance against any of our armed forces is going to be very sadly mistaken. I don't think any president would order our troops to engage with our citizens. If the government wanted your guns, there would be almost nothing anyone could do to stop them.

Reactions: Geaux_Vols

As long as it the individual states conducting background checks. I 100% oppose any suggestion of a universal background check, which is in essence a national database for the federal government to know who has weapons. As history has shown elsewhere, that is a step towards gun confiscation.

I also wish people would quit referring to AR15-style platforms as 'assault weapons'. A semi-automatic weapon is not even close to being a military assault weapon, but I am curious as to what limitations you would put on an AR-15. It is against the law to have a fully automatic rifle so I can't imagine what other limitations a semi-automatic rifle would need.
Also, do you know how many rounds semi automatic weapons can put out per minute. In some ways, they are more dangerous than full auto because you can aim and be much more selective with your targets.

Reactions: hooter vol
The Federal Government already knows who has weapons. Anyone who thinks their personal arsenal or neighborhood watch group would stand a ghost of a chance against any of our armed forces is going to be very sadly mistaken. I don't think any president would order our troops to engage with our citizens. If the government wanted your guns, there would be almost nothing anyone could do to stop them.
The military has been screwing around in Afghanistan looking for 400 something dude for two decades. People could fight back. But the govt would have to work really hard to get the political capital to do it.

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
Alright Gonzaga won and awaits the winner of our game against Louisville in the Final Four.
I'm biased but I'm not sure any team in the country is as hot as Tennessee right now. I'm not betting against them, that's for sure. Don't want to jinx it but I think we have a good shot at our first Final Four.

Also, do you know how many rounds semi automatic weapons can put out per minute. In some ways, they are more dangerous than full auto because you can aim and be much more selective with your targets.
In full auto, there is a lot of wasted ammo. I think it's possible that the bump stock was a lot more dangerous than full auto. As evidenced by the crazy guy in Vegas

Reactions: drvenner
Wtf. Make kids recite something before they can understand it right through their formative years until they do it unthinkingly? That’s indoctrination, not liberty. Wow.

If you think that saying the pledge the allegiance to your country is indoctrination that is certainly your right, but to say that children at an early school age being taught the pledge of allegiance is somehow indoctrinating them, and is not liberty, to me seems an absurd notion. Indoctrination is typically done when there is only a centralized, authoritarian government where there is no challenge to the authority. It is pretty much impossible to do in a multi-party system, so your concern for the liberties of school age children seems rather hyperbolic. In a democracy there are few things that bind us together as a nation. Pride in your country should always be one thing that binds us, IMO.

I also wish people would quit referring to AR15-style platforms as 'assault weapons'. A semi-automatic weapon is not even close to being a military assault weapon, but I am curious as to what limitations you would put on an AR-15. It is against the law to have a fully automatic rifle so I can't imagine what other limitations a semi-automatic rifle would need.

Understand your positions. Actually you can own an automatic weapon, you just have to obtain what is commonly called a Class 3 license (that's not what the law actually calls them), plus the gun has to be registered. There is an exclusion for automatic weapons owned before 1986 but it gets rather technical as to what happens after the owner holding the exception dies. And there are gun trusts that can own Class 3 weapons.

Understand your positions. Actually you can own an automatic weapon, you just have to obtain what is commonly called a Class 3 license (that's not what the law actually calls them), plus the gun has to be registered. There is an exclusion for automatic weapons owned before 1986 but it gets rather technical as to what happens after the owner holding the exception dies. And there are gun trusts that can own Class 3 weapons.
we never have problems out of the people who have gone through that stringent a registration process to get a class 3 license. Hmmmm, it sounds like a solid argument in favor of more stringent licensing and registration requirements for guns in general

If you think that saying the pledge the allegiance to your country is indoctrination that is certainly your right, but to say that children at an early school age being taught the pledge of allegiance is somehow indoctrinating them, and is not liberty, to me seems an absurd notion. Indoctrination is typically done when there is only a centralized, authoritarian government where there is no challenge to the authority. It is pretty much impossible to do in a multi-party system, so your concern for the liberties of school age children seems rather hyperbolic. In a democracy there are few things that bind us together as a nation. Pride in your country should always be one thing that binds us, IMO.
Yes being made to repeat something that you can’t understand (like maybe you don’t want to think of the nation as a unitary thing) is NLP. And a few percent difference in marginal tax rates and a few weeks on abortion hardly constitute a multi-party system. Our govt is hugely centralized. We don’t even say the United States “are” we say the United States “is.”

No, they don't, unless you are purchasing weapons classes that require you to go through a federal background check, such as SW or AOW. Dealers have to maintain records for a number of years, but they don't have to send record of every purchase to the feds. They just have to maintain their records. And you are correct. Federal troops would not be used against the populace. It would be the FBI or ATF we have to worry about. And if we were just talking about me against the feds, you are right, I wouldn't stand a chance. But if the feds decides to start confiscating guns it won't be just me; it will be tens of millions of Americans resisting it. Remember what Adm. Yamamoto said when there were pushes to invade the US after Pearl Harbor? "There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass."

Yes being made to repeat something that you can’t understand (like maybe you don’t want to think of the nation as a unitary thing) is NLP. And a few percent difference in marginal tax rates and a few weeks on abortion hardly constitute a multi-party system. Our govt is hugely centralized. We don’t even say the United States “are” we say the United States “is.”

All that so called "indoctrination" I got from first grade on certainly didn't make me blindly loyal to a federal government that I don't trust all all. The rest of your post is irrelevant to the discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back