Best Athlete to ever play at UT

Early 70's

Didn't he play basketball?

No he had the UT handball team. He organized 2 national championship tournaments on campus in the early 70's. I don't think Cafego ever played handball, I would have known about it.

maybe this is a typo, but the way you wrote that makes it appear he is still banned at the moment. He served his time for doping and as far as I can tell has been clean for the last 14 years. But, I definitely understand those of those that would discount his success based on that. i was actually surprised that no one brought it up sooner. To me, it only adds to his story since it includes an amazing turnaround
Does it really matter. He cheated and I do not think cheaters should qualify for awards or the be recognized as the best at anything.

Heath Shuler was one heck of an athlete.

I think Josh Dobbs may be one of the best ever. Dude was a player.

I am saying Dobbs and I'm not a young guy, in my mid 40's.
Dobbs was a phenomenal football player and playmaker, but I couldn’t imagine him on the hardwood. IMO, on the whole, basketball players are more athletic than football players with hand eye coordination, balance etc. I think you gotta throw Admiral Schofield in this discussion.

Dobbs was a phenomenal football player and playmaker, but I couldn’t imagine him on the hardwood. IMO, on the whole, basketball players are more athletic than football players with hand eye coordination, balance etc. I think you gotta throw Admiral Schofield in this discussion.
I would think that gymnasts are very athletic. It depends upon what the definition of athlete is.

Reactions: BreatheUT
I admit I stole this question from a fan on RockyTopInsider mailbag, so they get credit but in this slow time thought it would be a good debate question here. One of their writers suggested Reggie White, Bernard Kind, Candice Parker, Willie Gault. The other just flat out picked Christian Coleman, whom I admit to not knowing who that is.

My pick is Condrege Holloway.

We know what a great FB player he was, but he also could have been a first round pick for a pro baseball contract and I have a friend who played HS basketball against him in Huntsville and he said he avged 30+ points a game and was practically unstoppable. Usually didn't even play the full game as a lot were blowouts.

STEVE KINER- Great LBer. Game he had against Bama in Legion Field was one of the all time great performances by a Vol as well. Bear called him the greatest LBer since Lee Roy Jordan.

Last edited:
No he had the UT handball team. He organized 2 national championship tournaments on campus in the early 70's. I don't think Cafego ever played handball, I would have known about it.
Take a look at the 64 basketball roster, I'm old but I'm pretty sure I played and got beat by Mr. Cafago. I was no handball player by any stretch but I couldn't believe what great shape he was in.

Does it really matter. He cheated and I do not think cheaters should qualify for awards or the be recognized as the best at anything.

that's fine for your opinion. I don't feel that way about most athletes that have come back and proven to be clean. Their own track governing body, the olympics, and the top stars in the sport (Usain Bolt) have all defended him at this point, almost 15 years after his suspension. But hey, you keep holding on to the hate if that's what you want to do.

Reactions: BreatheUT
For me it's AL Wilson, Condredge, Mr Manning, Peerless, Chuck Webb, Reggie White, Heath, Trey Teague just to name a few

Reactions: LittleVol
that's fine for your opinion. I don't feel that way about most athletes that have come back and proven to be clean. Their own track governing body, the olympics, and the top stars in the sport (Usain Bolt) have all defended him at this point, almost 15 years after his suspension. But hey, you keep holding on to the hate if that's what you want to do.
Cheaters will be cheaters. Why praise them for cheating? That is one things that is really wrong with our society now. Most people have lost sense of honesty, integrity, and morality. If ones falls into that group, then one mist be aware that they will reap what they sow.

Last edited:
Cheaters will be cheaters. Why praise them for cheating? That is one things that is really wrong with our society now. Most people have lost sense of honesty, integrity, and morality. If ones falls into that group, then one mist be aware that they will reap what they sow.

if you're a Christian, that's a dangerous stance to take. Every one of us has cheated. When it's someone else, you ask for justice. When it's you, you ask for grace.

if you're a Christian, that's a dangerous stance to take. Every one of us has cheated. When it's someone else, you ask for justice. When it's you, you ask for grace.
I think you hve that reversed. It appears that your approach is do what you want to do (including sining) and ask for forgiveness. That does not seem very religious to me. to me, that is one of the greatest sins.

I think you hve that reversed. It appears that your approach is do what you want to do (including sining) and ask for forgiveness. That does not seem very religious to me. to me, that is one of the greatest sins.

nope, in this case, it means to forgive someone else for a past transgression, just like you would want to be forgiven if you had been caught in a similar circumstance. should be even easier in a case were the guy has literally turned his life around and stayed clean. It has nothing to do with what you suggest
Matthew 6:14-15

Which of the mentioned athletes do you think NEVER cheated on the NCAA regulations concerning improper benefits? Get real.

Reactions: goldvol

VN Store

Back