Thank God its not Football season!

Why the heck would you not be able to leave your house for 2-3 months?? You think a virus that has killed 8 people outside of the state of Washington is going to cause a quarantine where we can't leave our houses for 2-3 months? That's absurd. The CFR (case fatality rate) has plummeted recently and in the US (outside the state of Washington nursing home where almost all of the deaths have come from) is down to .5 with an average age of 80 (and all had preexisting conditions). Take extra precautions especially if you care for or are around someone at risk. But panic buying toilet paper makes people look ignorant.

08CF5E4A-9738-4C0D-AFE8-DE948C6BE605.jpeg

It’s ridiculous.

By then we may have a vaccine and way to diagnose it.

All vaccines aren't created equal. Some give you the disease. Blood Plasma from recovered patients (containing antibodies) transfused into the sick is the only Cure. I don't know how long it will take for the Medical Community to start treating this way.

I don’t think they‘d do this for football.

no proof. JMO.
They absolutely would. A basketball arena holds like 15k people. In Neyland you're 100k deep and you're elbow to elbow with whoever you're next to. The risk of spreading the infection would be astronomically more than at a basketball game.

You still have to poop and if you can’t leave house for 2-3 months then you could run out. People are just preparing for worst case scenarios. I bought 2 packs of toilet paper because why not? It will get used eventually.

Sorry, go stand and watch "these people". Many of them are panicked. They are just following the crowd
'if they are doing it, guess I better do it too". (the stock market is showing the same attitude). Until there is a cure or preventive drug all these "stopping everything" will only extend the time this illness hangs around. We, the general world public is fast spinning into a deep dark depression this illness will hardly be remembered other than the cause of "the great world depression". I know I am preaching gloom and doom, but this is all you here in the news and on social media.

If things continue to get worse the government is going to eventually shut everything down and make us stay in the house for weeks. This may not happen but very possible.

Well, If the government tries this, there will need to be Marshall Law imposed. That will be the only way to stop people from going about. The only way that law will work is if more people are shot than were getting sick.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
The Spanish flu is a tricky comparison. It started during World War I when a very large percentage of world population was malnourished, fighting a war, or in dire conditions before the epidemic even hit. The war may also be part of the reason why a 'deadlier strand' of the flu spread more than the 'milder strand.' Some people who have studied it don't think it would have been nearly as bad if not for all the unique circumstances imposed by the war.

But you are right ... it's completely possible we're still worried about this in August and September. We really have no idea how this is going to play out right now.

Your statesmen concerning the "state of the world" during the outbreak of the big flu of early 1900s as been thought to have been the case as to the severity of the results of being sick. However as it relates to the early 2000s illness, don't you think there are more people world wide that fall into the situation you describe now than did in the early 1900s? Do we now or will we ever know how many people world wide will suffer this time. The illness then was better coped with by the public then as we are able to now. They were more self reliant than the public is now. Their resulting depression was/has been somewhat overlooked. I don't think that will be the case this time around. As this starts, we are worried to the stage of panic about wiping our asses.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Well, If the government tries this, there will need to be Marshall Law imposed. That will be the only way to stop people from going about. The only way that law will work is if more people are shot than were getting sick.
The land of the free and the home of the stupid

Please don’t insert facts and logic into the herd while it is running over a cliff.
What? This epidemic has been going strong for a month already. The fact that individual cases recover in a few days is wholly irrelevant.

Why the heck would you not be able to leave your house for 2-3 months?? You think a virus that has killed 8 people outside of the state of Washington is going to cause a quarantine where we can't leave our houses for 2-3 months? That's absurd. The CFR (case fatality rate) has plummeted recently and in the US (outside the state of Washington nursing home where almost all of the deaths have come from) is down to .5 with an average age of 80 (and all had preexisting conditions). Take extra precautions especially if you care for or are around someone at risk. But panic buying toilet paper makes people look ignorant.
As of 03/12/2020, there have been 36 deaths from Covid-19. That's with a little over 1200 reported cases in the U.S. I agree that some are over reacting, but we need to take this seriously. I am still practicing my same routines that I do with the flu. I don't take the flu shot, I wash my hands frequently, I don't sequester myself at home, I still get out in public. I haven't had the flu or a cold in about 15 years at least. This seems to be transmitted pretty much the same way the flu and the rino-virus is transmitted.

As of 03/12/2020, there have been 36 deaths from Covid-19. That's with a little over 1200 reported cases in the U.S. I agree that some are over reacting, but we need to take this seriously. I am still practicing my same routines that I do with the flu. I don't take the flu shot, I wash my hands frequently, I don't sequester myself at home, I still get out in public. I haven't had the flu or a cold in about 15 years at least. This seems to be transmitted pretty much the same way the flu and the rino-virus is transmitted.

There are 1800+ cases now and 39 deaths 29 of which are from a Washington Funeral home. Coronavirus Dashboard There is need for precaution not panic.

Reactions: MaTaLa
As a physician, I can absolutely tell you that we should get ahead of this while we can. Take a look at Italy for example. 15,000+ cases and 1,000+ deaths for a case fatality rate of ~7%. This is in large part due to their higher average age and slow response to isolation. While the chance of becoming seriously ill is low in most of the population, if you have any chronic medical conditions or are over the age of 60, your chances increase dramatically.

As a nation, the only way we can decrease the rate of spread now is social distancing and proper hygiene practices. Getting ahead of it earlier rather than waiting for confirmed cases to skyrocket is the right call. Also, they are only reporting CONFIRMED cases by the CDC...and we know that we don't have enough test kits....so the ACTUAL number is cases I'm sure is far higher.

Instead of being concerned about sports shouldn't we be concerned about our families and friends. I understand that we haven't been hit hard by this in Tennessee, but what happens if our children or parents die from this virus. Will we still be worried about sports.
Worldwide deaths wouldn't equal the number of Vandy fans at a home game yet.

As a physician, I can absolutely tell you that we should get ahead of this while we can. Take a look at Italy for example. 15,000+ cases and 1,000+ deaths for a case fatality rate of ~7%. This is in large part due to their higher average age and slow response to isolation. While the chance of becoming seriously ill is low in most of the population, if you have any chronic medical conditions or are over the age of 60, your chances increase dramatically.

As a nation, the only way we can decrease the rate of spread now is social distancing and proper hygiene practices. Getting ahead of it earlier rather than waiting for confirmed cases to skyrocket is the right call. Also, they are only reporting CONFIRMED cases by the CDC...and we know that we don't have enough test kits....so the ACTUAL number is cases I'm sure is far higher.
The CDC numbers include both confirmed and presumed cases. It's on their website.

All vaccines aren't created equal. Some give you the disease. Blood Plasma from recovered patients (containing antibodies) transfused into the sick is the only Cure. I don't know how long it will take for the Medical Community to start treating this way.
All vaccines give you the disease. That's how you form antibodies.

VN Store

Back