UT cancels classes

Maybe stupid but there are some facts about the Corona virus. 1. Unlike the Flu no one has immunity built up. 2. It has spread to over 100 countries in about 10 weeks and has been designated a pandemic. 3. We have lots of foreign students and profs at UT. 4. The death rate is more than 10 times the Flu. 5. All those young people have families including older parents. 6. A considerable number of students live off campus and are in and out and can spread it to the wider community.
Thanks for the magic crystal ball info! How do you know "no one has immunity built up"??? The vast majority of young healthy people that have come into contact with the virus a. don't get sick (that they notice) b. get a "mild cold". Death rate 10 times that of the flu??? Let's be realistic, 100's of millions of people have had the flu, and they know it. How many people would test positive for the Wuhan virus and never knew they had it? You don't know. President Trump has seen to it that millions of test kits have been mfg and distributed, along with other modern countries, we will find out what the real death rate is, sometime in the next 6 months to a year. I'm predicting, it will be very similar to the FLU.

So we shut the country down every year for flu season? Between 10,000 to 60,000 die every year from the flue. Your argument is very weak.

Yep.... And that sucks.

It turns out that vaccination is the absolute best we can do (for now). Once you do all you can to prevent something, if it continues to happen you have to take the attitude you seem to have. Until then? Do whatever you can, when you can to prevent it.

Right now all we can do is to cut of every vector possible.

Once there's a vaccine? You've done all you can and have to accept "what is, is".

My plan is to ignore it. I can’t control the university but I can certainly ignore it.

Note well the change in society over the last 100 years. Everything is supposed to be perfect all the time now.

My plan to solve the worlds problems is to die and leave it.

Thanks to the more rational posters here.

Our mothers (mine and husband’s) are in their 90’s and in assisted living. We do not expect them to survive if COVID-19 breaks out in their facility.

I am 65 and Hubs is 70. We both have asthma, and Hubs has mild COPD. We are both considered high risk for ICU-level disease if we’re infected.

My older daughter is a primary care physician in the mountains of North Carolina, and many of her patients never had medical care before she came. Her healthcare system was bought out last year by a for-profit chain that does not consider her clinic (and its patients) important enough to stock sufficient protective gear for the doctors, nurses, and techs, and they only have 20 masks at last count. She is in her mid-30’s, has moderate to severe asthma, and routinely works herself to exhaustion.

Until this thing plays out, and we see how severe it is, it should rightly be considered the equivalent of war. We should all be pulling together to do whatever is needed to (at a minimum) prevent hospitals becoming crisis zones if everyone gets sick at once.

Go ahead and proceed with whatever you want to do, potentially spreading virus to those who might get sicker than you. And yes, I very much understand the impact on those who live paycheck to paycheck and can’t afford to lose any days. I applaud those employers (even Walmart!) who have promised to pay employees who must stay home, even the part-timers.

Last edited by a moderator:
How is death preventable?

Wow, I’m done. I see this as nothing more than a stronger strain of the flu. So, you and I will never see eye to eye on it. Better to just agree to disagree.

While I agree that CoVid isn't going to end civilization it's apparent that you don't really give a rat's rear about someone dying from it when it could have been prevented by limiting exposure.

I'm glad you're done since I really don't have it in me to explain disease vectors within populations to you.

As Forrest Gump said... "Stupid is as stupid does."

Unfortunately, stupid in this case results in people dying. But you don't seem to care about that so.....

And BTW, the flu vaccine is not 100%.

No poop, Pop!!

But it's the best we've got. Once you've done the best you can you have to accept what happens afterward.

Until there's a vaccine, how do you propose we prevent spreading the thing? Or do you think preventable deaths are acceptable?

So, everyone understands this doesn't REPLACE the flu, right?? It's ANOTHER disease that if it becomes ubiquitous adds to the death toll every year, not replaces flu deaths, right?
Yes and no. Yes the Wuhon virus does not replace the flu. When looking at an elderly pop. the total number of deaths, from all factors, would have to increase in order for the Wuhon virus alone to be singled out. If the total death rate for the given population remains statistically stable, then calling any given single factor as adding to the death rate would be wrong. Based on the current understanding of the Wuhon virus, young people/young adults are FAR more likely to die from the FLU than the Wuhon virus-or for that matter, far more likely to die from an opioid OD than the Wuhon virus, in the USA.

No poop, Pop!!

But it's the best we've got. Once you've done the best you can you have to accept what happens afterward.

Until there's a vaccine, how do you propose we prevent spreading the thing? Or do you think preventable deaths are acceptable?

Nobody’s death, including mine, is preventable. And I can say that with 100% certainty. I just choose not to run around flailing my hands around in the air fearing it like you.

One day, I most certainly will die. Could be Coronavirus, but if not, it wi be something. Human mortality is a disease with no vaccine. Until then, I choose to live.

It was announced that all classes would be converted to online only until at least April 3rd. Also, all UT events of 50+ would be canceled until at least April 5th.

Anyone know what this means for Spring Practice?
It’s nice there’s the capability to go to online now. Back in my day (74-78) we would have been screwed.

Figure 7,000,000 people in the state, 700,000 cases would be 10%. So 10% of the population would warrant the beginning of the panic we are seeing happen.

Yes. And here in the Chicago area there are less than 50 cases and people are going berserk. 6 million people. Cancelled the St Patrick’s Day parades which is Saturday.

Nobody’s death, including mine, is preventable. And I can say that with 100% certainty. I just choose not to run around flailing my hands around in the air fearing it like you.

One day, I most certainly will die. Could be Coronavirus, but if not, it wi be something. Human mortality is a disease with no vaccine. Until then, I choose to live.

And if your choice to live is to play Russian roulette with a semi-automatic pistol I'll do my best to talk you out of it. But if you insist I'll get outta the room and let you have at it.

HOWEVER..... If your choice places me or my family in danger I'll do what I can to prevent it.

Taking a laissez faire attitude about something you can prevent is beyond stupid.

If we don't have a 100% of all Wuhon virus infections under control by aug/sep, should we play our games in empty stadiums? How many deaths/ 100,000 infections would be the cut off point? I'm asking the Woke experts.

You are too much, man. Emotional reactions, apples-to-oranges comparisons, even some political rhetoric.

You can’t compare this to Opiod OD deaths. First of all, you can’t die from an overdose if you aren’t taking drugs. So anyone at risk has put themselves at risk. Also, it’s “Wuhan.”

Reactions: Wadetime
Figure 7,000,000 people in the state, 700,000 cases would be 10%. So 10% of the population would warrant the beginning of the panic we are seeing happen.

And (unless my math skills are worse than I think) 1% is 70,000 and 0.1% is 7,000.

Assuming 1% of the 0.1% above die, are 70 preventable deaths acceptable to you?

A'ight.... You want to make this political.

I'm just talking common sense.
No politics-just facts, Opioid epidemic (pandemic) kills 60,000-70,000 AMERICANS every year , last year over 60,000 AMERICANS died from the FLU, 40,000 AMERICANS died in auto accidents last year, about 75,000AMERICANS died from alcoholism last year, again I say, I do not accept preventable deaths (so many people do) I just save my outrage for the big killer first-then work my way down the list. When people who claim they are all upset over preventable deaths-but don't want to address the preventable deaths with really high numbers, I think they are either, stupid, or very poorly informed, or their outrage is actually politically minded-and they could care less about preventable deaths.

VN Store

Back