'20 VA C Dylan Cardwell

Yeah Fulky became a great scoring post, and I don’t want to discredit him at all. But he would still get bullied at times down low and people would just score at will (like Mississippi State). And more worryingly, we got dominated on the boards with stunning regularity. Something has gotta change there, or we’re capped at the sweet 16 next year, if that. And it can’t just be John improving, he has a ceiling when it comes to rebounding due to his height and athleticism
It’s that Fulk is a 4, not a 5. He rebounds averagely for a 4

Reactions: Vols All Day
After seeing what Barnes has been able to do with fulkerson, I’m not really worried about our big men next year. I think uros will be much better, BUT, cardwell is someone I’d love to have on the team.
I hope Barnes can help them, but Fulky showed signs of life against good competition his freshman year. Uros, ORN, and Pember didn’t show a lot of signs of life against power 5 talent this whole season. I’m not sure we have 3 or 4 years for all these guys to figure it out, I hope Barnes moves on from at least one of them if they aren’t figuring it out this spring (Hopefully, Barnes continues the approach he followed with Walker and Burns rather than Kent and Johnson)

Reactions: Vol49er
I haven’t read much about UT still being involved with Cardwell but I hope Barnes and Co. are still pursuing him and UT has a spot. UT’s squad this year was deficient in the post and Plavsic isn’t going to be a long-term solution there. Fulkerson played well at the end of the season but he has limitations still, like his strength and he struggles defensively at times. Pons is undersized for the power positions and there’s no clear cut solution to the post issues for next year’s team. UT needs an athletic, rangy post who can defend the rim and other posts and finish lobs and other easy looks. UT next year should be elite but adding someone like Cardwell could be the difference between underachieving again or playing in the Final Four.

Reactions: The Dog
Well that’s just my point. If we can add a big man that can rebound and defend the post, Fulk can be a 4 where his scoring can shine and his lack of rebounding won’t be as painful

I feel like his rebounding is more of a symptom of lack of bulk and ability to get position rather than height/athletic ability.

One thing that helps offset that is that we have good rebounding guards. Vescovi and James specifically. If our perimeter guys can start keeping guys in front of them then Pons can stop rotating as much and become a force on the glass.

Reactions: The Dog and Vol49er
The cruel reality is the writing is on the wall with Pember and we can’t keep him around like we did with Kent. We are one game from having a legit shot of dancing this season and replacing Kent with a contributor could have easily won us one more game. I respect Barnes very much for not “firing” mistakes in recruiting but this season is clear to see the consequences of that.

Give me this guy for Pember please

Uros will play the 5 next year, Fulk to the 4, JJJ to the 3 but will play a hybrid point forward role, a combo of freshman and Santi at the 1/2/6th man positions.

I think folks are giving up way too early on Uros given CRBs history of developing guys.

What I saw with Uros was a guy very excited on the bench. And that carried over to the floor to the point he was playing fast and not smart. That lead to quick fouls. He had that 16 point game and we got flashes of what could have been in he had got work from day 1. There is no one on the roster to battle with him in practice. I think he becomes a 6 to 8 points guy next year. And a 6 to 10 rebound guy.

I feel like his rebounding is more of a symptom of lack of bulk and ability to get position rather than height/athletic ability.

One thing that helps offset that is that we have good rebounding guards. Vescovi and James specifically. If our perimeter guys can start keeping guys in front of them then Pons can stop rotating as much and become a force on the glass.

100% was about to post exact same thing. Fulky's struggles on the boards have nothing to do with height or athleticism. People must quit assuming every player that is white is at an athletic disadvantage. Its stupid and lazy. You see his release point on his turn around jumper? You see where he is at when he catches an offensive rebound off the rim and dunks? He has length and a very good vertical that make up for the fact that he is "only" 6'8 or 6'9 instead of 6'11. That difference is minimal and has very little impact on his rebounding. You don't see him going for rebounds and losing them because another player elevates higher and grabs the ball above him. He does not rebound well because of positioning. Rebounding happens before the shot hits the rim as much as once it comes off the rim. He loses the battle while the shot is in the air because he does not have enough bulk or strength. That puts him at a disadvantage once the ball comes off the rim. That is why he is a much better offensive rebounder and defensive rebounder.

I think those talking about Cardwell as if he’s a missing piece on next years team are a bit misguided...big guys ranked similarly in 2019:

Donta Scott 21.6mpg 5.9ppg 3.6rpg
Chandler Lawson 19.5mpg 4.5ppg 3.9rpg
Qudus Wahab 14.5mpg 5.4ppg 4.2rpg
Malcolm Dandridge 13.2mpg 3.4ppg 3.0rpg
Makhel Mitchell 6.8mpg 1.0ppg 2.3rpg
Dylan Disu 26.6mpg 7.3ppg 5.5rpg
Ismael Massoud 12.5mpg 5.0ppg 2.1rpg
Daniel Ramsey 3.0mpg 2.0ppg 1.0rpg

Average: 14.7mpg 4.3ppg 3.2rpg

That’s about what ORN is averaging on the year and many have been disappointed with him, given another year I would imagine ORN probably can beat those numbers.

I’m not saying any of this to downplay Cardwell, I think he’s a good prospect and would be a great get, but I think he’s a guy you ideally can redshirt or that you don’t count on year 1...not a guy that makes us a legitimate F4 team. IMO if that is what you are looking for then you are looking for a graduate transfer like a Kerry Blackshear, 27mpg 13ppg 8rpg.

I think those talking about Cardwell as if he’s a missing piece on next years team are a bit misguided...big guys ranked similarly in 2019:

That’s about what ORN is averaging on the year and many have been disappointed with him, given another year I would imagine ORN probably can beat those numbers.

I’m not saying any of this to downplay Cardwell, I think he’s a good prospect and would be a great get, but I think he’s a guy you ideally can redshirt or that you don’t count on year 1...not a guy that makes us a legitimate F4 team. IMO if that is what you are looking for then you are looking for a graduate transfer like a Kerry Blackshear, 27mpg 13ppg 8rpg.
Thank you BTO. Some on here are crazy with expectations of freshman....

doesn’t Mean he isn’t needed.
those numbers you posted are WAY over what Pember can give

doesn’t Mean he isn’t needed.
those numbers you posted are WAY over what Pember can give

Well we are talking about 2 different positions completely, and I know you’re ready to write off Pember but I’m not. And even with that said, Barnes isn’t playing 11-12 guys, so it really is a moot point as far as next year goes.

Well we are talking about 2 different positions completely, and I know you’re ready to write off Pember but I’m not. And even with that said, Barnes isn’t playing 11-12 guys, so it really is a moot point as far as next year goes.

well Barnes is going to have to play Olivier, urus or another signee. I’m not giving up on either of those but I’ll play the odds and like to add another option

And there certainly aren’t any minutes for Pember at the 3 available

well Barnes is going to have to play Olivier, urus or another signee. I’m not giving up on either of those but I’ll play the odds and like to add another option

And there certainly aren’t any minutes for Pember at the 3 available
Fulky, Pons, Walker are going to get bulk of minutes at the 4/5...that’s 80 minutes, Fulk and Pons are probably combining for 60 of those at least.

Ideally Pember gets the redshirt he should’ve gotten this year.

Reactions: MoCo_Vol
Walker is also arriving in summer and is a top 75 PF.

I'd love to have Cardwell, and I still expect Jalen Johnson to be the likely scholarship available to bring him in (if he's interested). I think if he isn't that 1 scholarship will be left open to add an additional piece in the 2021 class since there's a chance we could have more than expected players leave after 2020-21 season.

Fulky, Pons, Walker are going to get bulk of minutes at the 4/5...that’s 80 minutes, Fulk and Pons are probably combining for 60 of those at least.

Ideally Pember gets the redshirt he should’ve gotten this year.

Redshirting would just extend his time here where he takes up a spot. He’s never going to healthy or ready to win in the SEC.

Walker won’t average 20 min next year. No way

Walker is also arriving in summer and is a top 75 PF.

I'd love to have Cardwell, and I still expect Jalen Johnson to be the likely scholarship available to bring him in (if he's interested). I think if he isn't that 1 scholarship will be left open to add an additional piece in the 2021 class since there's a chance we could have more than expected players leave after 2020-21 season.
I think they’ll try to add a graduate transfer, or possibly Cisse

Redshirting would just extend his time here where he takes up a spot. He’s never going to healthy or ready to win in the SEC.

Walker won’t average 20 min next year. No way

He can still transfer after redshirting?

This year Pons/Fulk are combining for about 65mpg, ORN and Plavsic lots of times don’t even play, I think it’s pretty likely walker takes those minutes.

Yeah, I think graduate makes the most sense. With the prospects we're in on for the 2021 class.

I still like the potential to see how well ORN, Pember, & Uros develop. Barnes has very good success at developing talent. Admiral, Kyle, Bone, Grant, Fulky, Pons, etc. I'm willing to give the guys a chance.

But I expect ORN, Fulky, Pons, & Walker to get the bulk of the minutes in that 4/5 spot. Olivier had quite a few good outings too I like his upside.

He can still transfer after redshirting?

This year Pons/Fulk are combining for about 65mpg, ORN and Plavsic lots of times don’t even play, I think it’s pretty likely walker takes those minutes.

Pons and Fulky need their minutes to go down especially Fulky

Maybe the rules change on transferring but as they are now transferring after a redshirt has already been used isn’t good for the kid

I had a D1 coach tell me once that all
He wanted to be correct on was 2/3 recruits and the second he realized a kid was on the 1/3 side of things correct the mistake. That’s ruthless but keeping Kent around so long likely Is why we aren’t dancing

In one post you are saying there aren’t any minutes and this one you say take a grad transfer. That’s doesn’t add up. You don’t take a grad transfer to sit on the bench. It’s bad for lockerroom chemistry.

Pons and Fulky need their minutes to go down especially Fulky

Maybe the rules change on transferring but as they are now transferring after a redshirt has already been used isn’t good for the kid

I had a D1 coach tell me once that all
He wanted to be correct on was 2/3 recruits and the second he realized a kid was on the 1/3 side of things correct the mistake. That’s ruthless but keeping Kent around so long likely Is why we aren’t dancing

I don’t think that’s the sole reason, so not sure it’s fair to word it that way, but I get what you’re saying. I don’t think they feel Pember was a mistake, not every player is going to be All-SEC, there were some pretty bold statements made about Fulk and Pons early in their careers.

In one post you are saying there aren’t any minutes and this one you say take a grad transfer. That’s doesn’t add up. You don’t take a grad transfer to sit on the bench. It’s bad for lockerroom chemistry.

You are smarter than that, you know what I’m saying. I think looking at the roster (assuming JJ leaves) most would agree the biggest area of need/hole would be a legitimate All-Sec caliber post presence. If you don’t land someone like that then Fulk and Pons play big minutes, just because you could use that person doesn’t mean that ORN/Plavsic would play those same minutes though as say a Kerry Blackshear?

I don’t think that’s the sole reason, so not sure it’s fair to word it that way, but I get what you’re saying. I don’t think they feel Pember was a mistake, not every player is going to be All-SEC, there were some pretty bold statements made about Fulk and Pons early in their careers.

I didn’t make any such bold statements
About pons or Fulky.

My “bold statements” have been:

“The game has passed Barnes by”
“kent will never help”
“SV isn’t a Pg “
“Pember will never help”
“Uros will never be more than a role player”

That’s the only “bold” statements I have Made here after seeing these kids play. Glad I was wrong on Barnes but his clear stubborn old school coaching moment at Auburn is another thing to point at for not dancing

VN Store

Back