2020 Lady Vol Recruiting Thread

Some HSs are consistently at the top of their classifications. It can be for multiple reasons - superior coaching, "recruiting", demographics. The bottomline is that if based on the last few years performance Greenfield was playing in AA, it would not only be fairer for the other A teams, but the girls at Greenfield would be playing more competitive games.

Other HSs are consistently bad and should be able to move down a classification. Who knows, maybe not getting their doors blown off twice a week might encourage more guys and girls to come out for the team.
Other than conference, HS teams in TN are free to schedule any level team they wish, just like college teams. Sadly, team's like Darby's either choose not too, or other teams don't want to schedule them.

Other than conference, HS teams in TN are free to schedule any level team they wish, just like college teams. Sadly, team's like Darby's either choose not too, or other teams don't want to schedule them.
They did play a few teams not in their league and some AA teams. Arkansas Jonesboro, Loretto a team not in their league, Dyersburg AA team, Union City AA team twice, South Fulton, Ky and ST Agnes Academy. They are 26 and 0 played 12 district games and 14 non district games.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
That is pretty off-base. First the college example has no correlation. Those are recruited athletes. I have coached basketball at a high school with around 400 students in A ball for about 15 years. Lots of success over that time. Your point of coaching being important is true of course. But it gets you to a point where you eventually compete against other schools with much superior athletes, particularly size, and ALSO good coaching. Good coaching negates some of the gap in physical attributes but the difference in size, speed, quickness can get to a point where it can't be overcome by just being a good coach. I have watched some very well coached teams lose to some very poorly coached teams at the Murphy Center at the State Tournament ever year because they couldn't overcome the size and quickness advantage.

Sometimes winning or losing is a matter of how the other team plays as a team. I have seen several good teams get beat because they played as individuals and not as a team. It also matters if players are fundamentally sound. I have seen large teams, with very good athletes, get beat by teams from smaller school because they were fundamentally sound and played within themselves.

Greenfield ended the regular season with a 27 and 0 record beating Trenton 80 to 36. The playoffs now start and looks to me we could see a rematch of the Greenfield vs Loretto game maybe for the title. The first game was very close Greenfield winning by six 50 to 44.

2020 Class A West Regional Girls' Basketball Tournaments Bracket

Greenfield in the final 8 having won their regional Wednesday night. Standing at 32 and 0 heading into their next game.

Reading the message board on coachT it sounds like some of the Regionals are really weak ? i`m not sure i don`t know. i just sent an email to a top HS scout in NYC to get his take. Here is one of many post on the message board.

Went to the Greenfield vs Gibson County region championship game and I completely agreed with everything that happened except the co-mvp’s. Just because two good players are on the same team, doesn’t mean that you should have to spare one of their feelings for an award. It’s crazy how a D1 prospect can influence the opinions of basketball fans and coaches. A D1 scholarship doesn’t make you a good player. It’s almost one of the saddest things when a player can get overlooked by a scholarship, when she is clearly the better player. There should be no comparison between the two. Sparing a players feelings doesn’t make them better, it makes them soft. Greenfield wouldn’t be Greenfield without Chloe.

Reading the message board on coachT it sounds like some of the Regionals are really weak ? i`m not sure i don`t know. i just sent an email to a top HS scout in NYC to get his take. Here is one of many post on the message board.

Went to the Greenfield vs Gibson County region championship game and I completely agreed with everything that happened except the co-mvp’s. Just because two good players are on the same team, doesn’t mean that you should have to spare one of their feelings for an award. It’s crazy how a D1 prospect can influence the opinions of basketball fans and coaches. A D1 scholarship doesn’t make you a good player. It’s almost one of the saddest things when a player can get overlooked by a scholarship, when she is clearly the better player. There should be no comparison between the two. Sparing a players feelings doesn’t make them better, it makes them soft. Greenfield wouldn’t be Greenfield without Chloe.
I really don't know what he is saying since Chloe got a scholarship that she chose to accept. She was not interested in Tennessee and wanted to stay close to home. As far as who is the better player maybe she is the stats are almost identical with Darby scoring more points and Chloe having more assists. Three point shooting the same and rebounding the same. Chloe certainly does a lot for that team but so does the Darby sisters and without them Greenfield wouldn't be Greenfield either. All three either one or the other have been the reason for wins this season. When one has a bad game the other two are there to make the plays and pick up the team. Greenfield may have a loss or two without Chloe and they would still have a loss or more without the Darbys so whomever that was really got it wrong.

This is a bad take. Also, yes, a lot of regions are weak. And I mean it Single-A basketball so... but the championship game wasn’t weak as Gibson Co won the ship last year.

This is a bad take. Also, yes, a lot of regions are weak. And I mean it Single-A basketball so... but the championship game wasn’t weak as Gibson Co won the ship last year.
It is because he is calling a player that has scored 2600 points a bad player which is totally ignorant to even come out of someone's mouth. Evidently stats don't mean much to him since he is touting one player with identical stats and less points scored to a player that has done just as much on the basketball court. If he is calling Darby a bad player and Chloe a good one then he has no idea what he is talking about since Darby has contributed 2600 points and 39 percent three point shooting 9.5 rebounds per game from the two guard position. He can say he thinks Chloe is the better player everybody can have an opinion as she is very good. The problem is acting like a player doesn't deserve a D1 scholarship or MVP award when stats are identical makes him look really stupid. I guess he needs to talk to the eleven plus schools that offered Darby a D1 scholarship and more offers were coming until she committed to Tennessee. You also have to wonder what the problem is that Darby is number 144 on the prospect nation board and Chloe is not listed at all. The fact that Chloe is not listed doesn't mean she isn't a great player no one was offering her scholarships because she wasn't accepting otherwise I'm sure she would've had several also.

It is because he is calling a player that has scored 2600 points a bad player which is totally ignorant to even come out of someone's mouth. Evidently stats don't mean much to him since he is touting one player with identical stats and less points scored to a player that has done just as much on the basketball court. If he is calling Darby a bad player and Chloe a good one then he has no idea what he is talking about since Darby has contributed 2600 points and 39 percent three point shooting 9.5 rebounds per game from the two guard position. He can say he thinks Chloe is the better player everybody can have an opinion as she is very good. The problem is acting like a player doesn't deserve a D1 scholarship or MVP award when stats are identical makes him look really stupid. I guess he needs to talk to the eleven plus schools that offered Darby a D1 scholarship and more offers were coming until she committed to Tennessee. You also have to wonder what the problem is that Darby is number 144 on the prospect nation board and Chloe is not listed at all. The fact that Chloe is not listed doesn't mean she isn't a great player no one was offering her scholarships because she wasn't accepting otherwise I'm sure she would've had several also.
No Chole never would have gotten offers because she didn’t play at a high level in the summer. And anyone can look good or carry a team in Single-A (Last year Midway made the final four with 2 college level players; a senior who went D2 and a D3 Junior). Greenfield is an anomaly with many D1 talents, which Moore probably was, but hard to know when you don’t challenge yourself against the best. And yes that can be held against her. I barely care about HS stats at all considering many HS players are at the mercy of some teacher coach and the talent around them/talent they play. All HS is not equal or comparable even if on the same team. A lot of low level girls can have great stats.

Also as far as the Co-MVP, do you know what their region stats were. Or even how the games went down? Really just curious if it was close or deserved considering it’s how you played through the whole 3 game region tournament

Any coach/scout knows you NEVER make an opinion about an athlete based on one time looking at them !!!! You need more homework on the athlete .... stats over the current year , how did they do before this year , are they improving or are they consistent . Grades , family environment, do they play other sports?
I am sure the other athletes on her team are good or they would not go very far without other good players .

Reactions: VolFuture2k22
I often look at the 2016 Hoopgurlz recruit rankings and I’m surprised at how many players ranked 50-100 grew into amazing players—which makes me very excited about Darby and Salary. A few examples:

#53 Stephanie Jones (Maryland)
#55 Aarion McDonald (Arizona)
#57 Nausia Woolfolk (FSU)
#61 Chelsea Dungee (Ark)
#69 Taryn McCutheon (MSU)
#75 Jordan Lewis (Bama)
#88 Kobi Thornton (Clemson)
#93 Kat Tudor (Oregon St)
#97 Kathleen Doyle (Iowa)
#100 Arella Guirantes (Rutgers)

If a player is committed to being the best and receives great coaching, they will be great players. I look forward to seeing how our 2 recruits develop by their senior years.

I really don't know what he is saying since Chloe got a scholarship that she chose to accept. She was not interested in Tennessee and wanted to stay close to home. As far as who is the better player maybe she is the stats are almost identical with Darby scoring more points and Chloe having more assists. Three point shooting the same and rebounding the same. Chloe certainly does a lot for that team but so does the Darby sisters and without them Greenfield wouldn't be Greenfield either. All three either one or the other have been the reason for wins this season. When one has a bad game the other two are there to make the plays and pick up the team. Greenfield may have a loss or two without Chloe and they would still have a loss or more without the Darbys so whomever that was really got it wrong.

I`m not saying you are wrong i was just reading the site message board that`s all.

Intangibles are something that college coaches work hard to figure out about a player. When Greenfield coach Willie Trevathan was asked what Tess Darby's biggest asset was to the Lady Yellowjackets, he was quick to answer: communication. Darby's skill-set along with her communication are big reasons why Greenfield is 31-0 with a third straight appearance for the Region 7-A championship and berth in the Class A sectionals coming up this week.

"She is our big communicator on the floor, telling players where to be and what to be thinking about," Trevathan said. "She is very intelligent out there. She does a great job contesting the rim and making it hard to score around the basket. She has been an excellent rebounder the past two years. She is a competitor that plays with a lot of passion."

Lady Vols' signee Tess Darby has been key for Greenfield's undefeated season

Intangibles are something that college coaches work hard to figure out about a player. When Greenfield coach Willie Trevathan was asked what Tess Darby's biggest asset was to the Lady Yellowjackets, he was quick to answer: communication. Darby's skill-set along with her communication are big reasons why Greenfield is 31-0 with a third straight appearance for the Region 7-A championship and berth in the Class A sectionals coming up this week.

"She is our big communicator on the floor, telling players where to be and what to be thinking about," Trevathan said. "She is very intelligent out there. She does a great job contesting the rim and making it hard to score around the basket. She has been an excellent rebounder the past two years. She is a competitor that plays with a lot of passion."
Lady Vols' signee Tess Darby has been key for Greenfield's undefeated season

I’m so excited about Darby and Salary! Thanks for sharing this link.

On television at 6:00 PM Eastern .... Ensworth recruit (Kaiya Wynn ) 2021 ! Playing in State finals at Lipscomb in Nashville! Coach Harper just had an in home visit recently. Currently rated in top 50.

Of note will be their point guard .... Jaloni Cambridge , sister of Jordan who plays for Vanderbilt! Their age difference will not let them play together...., She is an 8 th grader and Number #1 rated eight grader in the nation !

Showing on WUXP channel 30 on my Direct TV

Last edited:
On television at 6:00 PM Eastern .... Ensworth recruit (Kaiya Wynn ) 2021 ! Playing in State finals at Lipscomb in Nashville! Coach Harper just had an in home visit recently. Currently rated in top 50.

Of note will be their point guard .... Jaloni Cambridge , sister of Jordan who plays for Vanderbilt! Their age difference will not let them play together...., She is an 8 th grader and Number #1 rated eight grader in the nation !
I think whomever gets her is going to get a dominating defender. I don't know about her offensive game she averages around 20 a game.

VN Store

Back