A Theory about JG

Yeah... you still tried a dishonest argument. I like Pruitt. If you want to understand my problem with JG... watch the Vandy and IU games. "Best" option or not... he is NOT an effective QB.
Nothing dishonest about my post, CJP calls the number of the player(s) he wants to start and/or play-you seem to know better than the coach. You like CJP, but don't like his the players he puts in, but you like him? Maybe, you should go see him and set him straight!

Pruitt is not going to always make the 'correct decision'. He didn't last year or the year before with plenty of mistakes both seasons, and he'll make more in the future as well. He's not infallible, and his primary focus in his career has been on defensive side of the ball.

Your desire to coach-worship won't change that reality.
"Always makes the correct decision", I agree, no one always makes the best decision, as no one is perfect; however, if you have a problem with the way a player plays, and he is a starter, you are having a problem with the coaches call, plain and simple. It is shocking to me, that those that tout CJP's decision making when it suits them, claim he doesn't always make the correct decision when it does not, sad.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Nothing dishonest about my post, CJP calls the number of the player(s) he wants to start and/or play-you seem to know better than the coach.
That's the dishonest part. I have not said I know more. I have not said anything that would reasonably lead you to the conclusion that I believe I know more.

You have an agenda and are attempting to dishonestly twist up a narrative that isn't true.

You like CJP, but don't like his the players he puts in, but you like him? Maybe, you should go see him and set him straight!
He has the right and responsibility to play the guys he thinks will help him win. Rightly or wrongly, he started the season with JG, benched JG in favor of Maurer until Maurer got hurt, returned with JG, and then more or less stuck with him through the end of the season.

NONE OF THAT makes JG a good QB or even the "best" option. Maurer seemed to be looked at as the "best option" until he was flipped on his head and injured.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
That's the dishonest part. I have not said I know more. I have not said anything that would reasonably lead you to the conclusion that I believe I know more.

You have an agenda and are attempting to dishonestly twist up a narrative that isn't true.

He has the right and responsibility to play the guys he thinks will help him win. Rightly or wrongly, he started the season with JG, benched JG in favor of Maurer until Maurer got hurt, returned with JG, and then more or less stuck with him through the end of the season.

NONE OF THAT makes JG a good QB or even the "best" option. Maurer seemed to be looked at as the "best option" until he was flipped on his head and injured.

IF JG is not (in your opinion) the best option, and CJP calls his number-you have a problem with the coach, as you know more than the coach (as usual).

"Always makes the correct decision", I agree, no one always makes the best decision, as no one is perfect; however, if you have a problem with the way a player plays, and he is a starter, you are having a problem with the coaches call, plain and simple. It is shocking to me, that those that tout CJP's decision making when it suits them, claim he doesn't always make the correct decision when it does not, sad.
It is shocking to me that you are this obtuse. The greatest decision maker may only be right 80% of the time. There's PLENTY of room for them to be wrong and for those who think highly of them to disagree with them.

I think Pruitt did a pretty good job of managing the QB's and the position after making the mistake of investing so heavily in JG during the off season. Just my opinion. OTOH, I have told people that really were attacking Pruitt that he made a REASONABLE decision based on the talent and information available to him. Not every reasonable decision turns out to be correct. Every correct decision though is reasonable.

Reactions: jacvols and 1vol8
IF JG is not (in your opinion) the best option, and CJP calls his number-you have a problem with the coach, as you know more than the coach (as usual).
And you are wrong and engaging in patently dishonest "reasoning". Your purpose seems to be an indirect defense of JG not being a good QB... sorry but not biting.

Nothing dishonest about my post, CJP calls the number of the player(s) he wants to start and/or play-you seem to know better than the coach. You like CJP, but don't like his the players he puts in, but you like him? Maybe, you should go see him and set him straight!
I think even CJP himself would admit if asked that he made a mistake anointing JG the unquestioned starter. I like CJP myself. I think he’s exactly what UT needed. However his qb evaluation and his handling of all the qbs have been largely in question since he was forced to go another route.

I think even CJP himself would admit if asked that he made a mistake anointing JG the unquestioned starter. I like CJP myself. I think he’s exactly what UT needed. However his qb evaluation and his handling of all the qbs have been largely in question since he was forced to go another route.
IF CJP, after evaluation decides to call another number, and not start JG, then I'd support that, as I believe the call the coach makes is what he is paid for. If the player under performs-not on one play but continually, I'd have a problem with the coaches call, and wouldn't be afraid to say so. Again, we have some "experts" that love CJP-he knows best about everything....." as long as they agree with his calls, when they don't agree-it is someone elses fault, usually a player, sad.

And you are wrong and engaging in patently dishonest "reasoning". Your purpose seems to be an indirect defense of JG not being a good QB... sorry but not biting.
I am not directly or indirectly defending JG not being a good QB. I am stating, if a player is not performing well (In your opinion) you have a problem with the coach for calling his number. In so far as your assertion that I'm defending JG not being a good QB-I'll leave that up to CJP, I am sure he knows who to start.

I don't expect Pruitt to always make the correct decisions. The fact that he is UT's coach, doesn't somehow make him any more or less likely to make a poor decision as a football coach.

His handling of the QB position from preseason, all the way to the end of the season, was overall pretty bad. That has no bearing on whether or not his other decisions were 'good' or 'bad'.

I'm not sure why you are having such a hard time wrapping your mind around the concept, other than the fact that though you speak to the contrary when called out, you have a desire to assume that Pruitt's decision will always be the "correct decision" just for the fact that he is Jeremy Pruitt; that's wholly unrealistic.

Of course CJP's decision will not always be correct, no one is perfect! Your decisions will not all ways be perfect. CJP decision regarding our players will almost always be better than yours, even if he is not 100% correct, all the time.
Again those that love CJP when they agree, find it easy to blame players and others when they don't, I guess it is wholly unrealistic to expect them to man-up. If the coach puts in a player and keeps him in, you don't like they way that players plays-you have a problem with the coach, I don't know why you have a problem wrapping your mind around the concept.

This is an interesting shift in the debate.

Was Pruitt pulling JG after 4 games evidence that he got it wrong to begin with?

Was going back to him against UK evidence that Maurer shouldn't have been on the field either?

The revolving door at that position this year should be enough to tell you that even when he went with JG, then Maurer, then JG again (and he got pulled in the bowl game again). Should tell you this much. Pruitt had to put somebody out there and he was never completely comfortable at anytime with either.

IF CJP, after evaluation decides to call another number, and not start JG, then I'd support that, as I believe the call the coach makes is what he is paid for. If the player under performs-not on one play but continually, I'd have a problem with the coaches call, and wouldn't be afraid to say so. Again, we have some "experts" that love CJP-he knows best about everything....." as long as they agree with his calls, when they don't agree-it is someone elses fault, usually a player, sad.
Well as sjt18 is saying he made the call he thought was best. Not many people, including myself, questioned that decision at the beginning of the season until the first game was played. At that point it was clear to most everyone that his evaluation was possibly flawed OR he simply valued experience over talent. That opinion only got bigger once he was forced to make a move 4 weeks later vs UGA.

Before the season started I was quoted telling others that the qb competition wasn’t quite as advertised from what I’ve personally seen in practice. Most went on to believe everything the reports said and live action proved otherwise.

The point is you’re correct and so is sjt18. It’s the coaches call on who, but his job depends on being correct. JP was wrong at first and making the move possibly saved his job in the end as well as everyone discovering JG is better when the pressure isn’t on him. Or so the evidence suggests.

Was Pruitt pulling JG after 4 games evidence that he got it wrong to begin with?

Was going back to him against UK evidence that Maurer shouldn't have been on the field either?

The revolving door at that position this year should be enough to tell you that even when he went with JG, then Maurer, then JG again (and he got pulled in the bowl game again). Should tell you this much. Pruitt had to put somebody out there and he was never completely comfortable at anytime with either.
It is an interesting twist. A lot of people see now that the talent level was much closer than we were being told however I personally can’t blame CJP for his “ride or die” approach with JG. That’s what every qb needs from his coach to reach the level he’s capable of. That being said it’s easy to wonder “what if he had invested in Maurer or Shrout the time and dedication he showed JG?” because JG is clearly about at his ceiling. I would bet my left arm Maurer (healthy) could easily have led this team to the same record or better if he had the same support.

IMO, no. It was a reasonable decision based on the information Pruitt had at the time. He had a RS Jr who appeared to have confidence issues plus a true Fr and RS Fr who weren't ready.

Not really the right question. Maurer shouldn't have played. He did because JG stank it up. I can't really explain the UK game except that CJP must have seen things besides a poor passing start to make him believe that Maurer needed to be replaced. As bad as BM's start was... it was not worse than JG vs Vandy or IU.

True.

Clearly, he's not working the aversion therapy aspect...

I say we oughta keep the electro shock shrinks away from him. Guarding JG's back against those guys is the least we can do, after all he's given. Got to be a QB Whisperer somewhere. Pru ought to find him and hire him.

Last edited:
IMO, no. It was a reasonable decision based on the information Pruitt had at the time. He had a RS Jr who appeared to have confidence issues plus a true Fr and RS Fr who weren't ready.

Not really the right question. Maurer shouldn't have played. He did because JG stank it up. I can't really explain the UK game except that CJP must have seen things besides a poor passing start to make him believe that Maurer needed to be replaced. As bad as BM's start was... it was not worse than JG vs Vandy or IU.

True.
1. I agree with that.
2. I also agree that.

Given the direction of the discussion it was more food for thought.

Reactions: sjt18
It is an interesting twist. A lot of people see now that the talent level was much closer than we were being told however I personally can’t blame CJP for his “ride or die” approach with JG. That’s what every qb needs from his coach to reach the level he’s capable of. That being said it’s easy to wonder “what if he had invested in Maurer or Shrout the time and dedication he showed JG?” because JG is clearly about at his ceiling. I would bet my left arm Maurer (healthy) could easily have led this team to the same record or better if he had the same support.

It should have clearly been JGs job given the circumstances and it never should have been in question at any point during the season. Of all of the things that happened over the entire season, I think the fact that JG couldn't play well enough to keep them from trying Maurer was probably the biggest surprise to Pruitt and Chaney.

After watching that team given the circus at that position here is 2 things Ive gathered.
1. UT has to make a big step forward at QB to make the next step.
2. We still have questions at the position going into next year.

On the bright side we should have better prepared options and Pruitt isn't scared to play a FR.

Both lists are pretty bad. They are rightfully getting eviscerated on Twitter.
You are a fundamentally dishonest person. When these kinds of "experts" were praising JG... you cited them EVERYWHERE. Now that they doubt him... you hand wave their comments away because some fans... maybe 8 or 10 of your ID's... don't like it.

Reactions: whodeycin85
You are a fundamentally dishonest person. When these kinds of "experts" were praising JG... you cited them EVERYWHERE. Now that they doubt him... you hand wave their comments away because some fans... maybe 8 or 10 of your ID's... don't like it.
I go with data based evaluations like PFF. Last year they had him two or three in the SEC preseason. He finished in the middle of the SEC.

This list is pure speculation. Brennan may be terrible. Some guys may not play qb next year. Bad list. Almost as garbage as your posts. It takes a lot to be as bad as your posts though.

Reactions: I40flyer

VN Store

Back