Game Thread: #25/RV LADY VOLS VS. #16/18 TEXAS A&M

To think we make 7 of those ten free throws we missed and win the game considering how Carter played today would've been an awesome win.

Correct 10th ranked post player. But was actually 47th ranked. But still a 5 star
Burrell was down the list as well. Davis was 12 in one and 8 in the other. Horston was number two shouldn't have been that high she is not a polished shooter or passer. Massengill was 25

his research was a little skewed. Key was the 50 ranked player, 10 in her position. that’s a huge difference then ranked 10 overall.
Let him/her wallor in it...makes them happy I presume.. you know a&m is a walk on team...their players arent on scholarship..

Reactions: glv98
Correct 10th ranked post player. But was actually 47th ranked. But still a 5 star
If us long suffering LV fans have learned anything the last few years its that the star system is worthless AF. There has been a virtual parade of 5 stars thru here the last few years, most leaving as more potential than actual talent. I base zilch on stars.

Reactions: lvocd
If us long suffering LV fans have learned anything the last few years its that the star system is worthless AF. There has been a virtual parade of 5 stars thru here the last few years, most leaving as more potential than actual talent. I base zilch on stars.
If they had a real coach instead of Holly, they would have lived up to their HS hype.

If 5***** players all regularly fail to live up their HS ratings, it's the coaching.

Arkansas and Auburn are huge games I would worry big time about that Auburn game they are beating LSU today have to see if they can hold the lead.

If Kellie says anything but this lose is on her and staff lack of fundamentals, and in game coaching, she should be called out on it.
" Kellie why the hell did you not have your team pressuring ball, or knowing too, and why didnt you use a timeout before ball got in bounds when you say it"
"Kellie, did you not think to tell your players to foul asap"
" Kellie, you team is horrible passing the ball have you noticed?"
" Kellie, ahh is there a reason your players stand around, you sub like crazy for fresh legs, yet your players stand around, are you aware of this and that you are allowed to call timeouts?"
Has someone hijacked your account? I agree with some of the things you’ve stated (not all), but I could swear you are one of the posters on here that never allowed any criticism of the previous staff. I feel like I’m reading someone else’s words unless I have the wrong person.

I do believe Kellie needs more time to “implement“ her system but as you state I don’t find it unreasonable to lay partial blame for the loss on the staff. We win or lose as a team is usually the motto -this includes players and coaches.

If they had a real coach instead of Holly, they would have lived up to their HS hype.

If 5***** players all regularly fail to live up their HS ratings, it's the coaching.
And I think that's exactly what we're trying to sort out - how much was coaching that could not develop talent and how much was overrated recruits with athleticism but lack in bball skills.

But you sure can't blame Key and Horston on Holly, and I really thought both would be further along by now, especially with the massive minutes they've played. I know alot has been asked of them, but the flip side is all that game experience should be paying off.

With Key, I think its mostly physical and overall lack of agressiveness. Horston may be harder to fix since her problems seem to be all between the shoulders.

Reactions: Volfan2012
I think when they evaluated Horston and Key they saw players that were dominating physically in high school and didn't need much IQ or intensity to get it done. Neither are very good shooters but it doesn't take a lot to average over 20 when your shooting over 100 pounds 5'6" girls. At this level you have to be a lot smarter, much more physical, and have some shooting ability. Both are not there at this level yet.

Reactions: GrindEveryDay
South Carolina starts three freshmen. That team seems to be doing just fine.

I'm not trying to take a pass on whatever potential issues might plague the Lady Vols, but I would say equating freshmen at a stable situation like South Carolina with freshmen on a Tennessee program which is struggling to define itself in the first year of a transition (with a less than ideal roster) is a bit of a reach. Freshmen have the best success when they're inserted into a system that is reliable and dependable. Everyone knows their job, knows their responsibilities, so on, so forth. Freshmen can make freshmen mistakes when the team is composed and organized well enough to accommodate the "bad" parts of a younger player's game while enabling the good. And when you have capable upperclassmen who know their jobs and can contribute on the court, your options for handling freshmen increase dramatically. You can scale back minutes, you can bench them, you can give them more rest, etc. Dawn Staley's been at South Carolina over a decade, which provides that stable foundation on which to incorporate new pieces each season.

Has someone hijacked your account? I agree with some of the things you’ve stated (not all), but I could swear you are one of the posters on here that never allowed any criticism of the previous staff. I feel like I’m reading someone else’s words unless I have the wrong person.

Holly lover

I'm not trying to take a pass on whatever potential issues might plague the Lady Vols, but I would say equating freshmen at a stable situation like South Carolina with freshmen on a Tennessee program which is struggling to define itself in the first year of a transition (with a less than ideal roster) is a bit of a reach. Freshmen have the best success when they're inserted into a system that is reliable and dependable. Everyone knows their job, knows their responsibilities, so on, so forth. Freshmen can make freshmen mistakes when the team is composed and organized well enough to accommodate the "bad" parts of a younger player's game while enabling the good. And when you have capable upperclassmen who know their jobs and can contribute on the court, your options for handling freshmen increase dramatically. You can scale back minutes, you can bench them, you can give them more rest, etc. Dawn Staley's been at South Carolina over a decade, which provides that stable foundation on which to incorporate new pieces each season.
You make too much sense. Just listen to half the jack wagons in here. They know everything. Clueless to the situation but they know everything.

I think when they evaluated Horston and Key they saw players that were dominating physically in high school and didn't need much IQ or intensity to get it done. Neither are very good shooters but it doesn't take a lot to average over 20 when your shooting over 100 pounds 5'6" girls. At this level you have to be a lot smarter, much more physical, and have some shooting ability. Both are not there at this level yet.
I think Horston’s issues right now are all mental...early in the season she was scoring better and would still have some costly turnovers.

As the season has progressed, she has allowed the dip in scoring and the turnovers to bother her to the point in which she’s playing without confidence.

I do believe she is the real and will get past this- we can only hope.

Gotta beat Arkansas or make a run in the SECT or there may be no NCAAT.

Whoa now. Today was expected. Vanderbilt, Auburn, and Ole Miss constitute three of the bottom four teams in the SEC this year, and two of those games are at home. So it's (mainly) safe to say Tennessee is probably going to be 20-9, or at worst 19-10. Add the SEC tournament and their worst records would be 20-10 or 19-11. They're probably in with either of those records, even if 19-11 is reaaaaaally spotty. I'm guessing at about 21-10 by the time it's all said and done.

And hey. They could take all four and go into the SEC tournament at 21-8. It's not as if they're not talented. Just. A lot of room to grow.

There's only concern if they flat lose all four and finish at 17-12. Pretty unlikely. Not impossible. Ugh. Let's just not.

And I think that's exactly what we're trying to sort out - how much was coaching that could not develop talent and how much was overrated recruits with athleticism but lack in bball skills.

But you sure can't blame Key and Horston on Holly, and I really thought both would be further along by now, especially with the massive minutes they've played. I know alot has been asked of them, but the flip side is all that game experience should be paying off.

With Key, I think its mostly physical and overall lack of agressiveness. Horston may be harder to fix since her problems seem to be all between the shoulders.

Key is not a good offensive player. She's tall and presents matchup problems because of her size. But she came into college with no reliable post moves, and probably won't have them until an off-season of hard work.

Horston has her bright moments. She clearly has some talent, but has very low bball IQ. Kellie needs to keep her off the ball. Massengill should be playing big minutes running the floor, with maybe Jessie providing a few minutes to give her a breather. Next year will answer the question about Kellie's player development skills.

I think Horston’s issues right now are all mental...early in the season she was scoring better and would still have some costly turnovers.

As the season has progressed, she has allowed the dip in scoring and the turnovers to bother her to the point in which she’s playing without confidence.

I do believe she is the real and will get past this- we can only hope.

agree

VN Store

Back