Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
So. Football question. How does this tweet strike you?

I mean, if he's interested in coming here, or if he's a commit, I'll be a fan. But right now, I'm like, who?

Reactions: nicksjuzunk
So anyway, everybody's had success with different methods and everybody just has an opinion.
Me personally, if I keep an outside dog and leave it out all night, I've always had 2, just so they have a companion. I think there's definitely enough evidence to show that's their preference. Doesn't mean you're abusing them otherwise, though.

I think you're usually one of the more reasonable people on here, Sleegro, so I'm willing to engage with this lol. The article is an academic paper, and it's literally just the first reputable link I pulled up, so I included it. There's TONS of other sources that indicate, "pack theory," as most people know it is completely outdated misinformation.

Of course dogs are social, but the idea of an "alpha" and using that notion as a basis of training is what I'm talking about. I think there's a misunderstanding of semantics taking place here. I'm not saying dogs don't like companionship. I'm talking about the premise of a pack hierarchy and using domination to impose yourself as an, "alpha," is no longer a widely accepted behavioral technique. The idea of an alpha literally comes from one study in 1947 that has not stood up to scrutiny. Dogs aren't wolves, and dogs don't think humans are dogs. The whole theory is based on bad science, and people like to cling to it cause it feels correct.
Lol.

Our "experts" are never wrong, are they?

I think you're usually one of the more reasonable people on here, Sleegro, so I'm willing to engage with this lol. The article is an academic paper, and it's literally just the first reputable link I pulled up, so I included it. There's TONS of other sources that indicate, "pack theory," as most people know it is completely outdated misinformation.

Of course dogs are social, but the idea of an "alpha" and using that notion as a basis of training is what I'm talking about. I think there's a misunderstanding of semantics taking place here. I'm not saying dogs don't like companionship. I'm talking about the premise of a pack hierarchy and using domination to impose yourself as an, "alpha," is no longer a widely accepted behavioral technique. The idea of an alpha literally comes from one study in 1947 that has not stood up to scrutiny. Dogs aren't wolves, and dogs don't think humans are dogs. The whole theory is based on bad science, and people like to cling to it cause it feels correct.
I know it's an academic paper. I read the whole thing. It assumes that so called pack theory can only be establish yourself as alpha through dominance. That is the most noticeable way you see it with wolves in nature, but it is far from the only way. They also provide food, companionship and leadership, aka rewards to reinforce desired behavior. I've never read whatever 1940s pack theory they are trying to disprove, but if it is saying that the only way is negative reinforcement, then yeah I guess it disproves that theory. I don't think most people, including Cesar Milan who the writer seems to have an issue with, train that way. Most use positive and negative reinforcement the same way wolves and humans do. There is nothing in that article that proves dogs are not pack animals though. Just argues over the best way to enforce pack dynamics. Also, the author apparently has never watched the source of much of his angst, Cesar Milan, other than the fact that Cesar says to be the leader of the pack. He brings up Cesar as a bad example of something, then says how you should do things. But the things he says you should do, teaching dogs how to ignore new dogs or humans upon first meetings for example, is a big part of how Cesar trains. In fact most of the authors recommendations are the same as what Cesar does.

Last edited:
The quarterbacks went 20 of 55 for 181 yards, with 12 touchdowns, four interceptions and a notable fumble.

Simply stated, improved play under center is a must for this team in 2020, particularly in the red zone where the windows are smaller making timing and ball location a premium.

However,r with the departures of Jauan Jennings and Marquez Callaway throwing the ball anywhere on the field is going to have it’s challenges next year — particularly early in the season, but with Jennings’ physical nature and Callaway’s ability to high-point the ball, throwing in the red zone won’t be easy.

Of the Vols 12 red zone touchdown passes, Jennings and Callaway accounted for 10. Jennings had 7 scores in the red zone while Callaway had 3. Josh Palmer had a red zone TD at Kentucky and departing tight end Dominique Wood-Anderson had one against Vanderbilt.

So the answer is simply run it right? The Vols are bringing back their offensive line and running backs in 2020. But running it in the red zone is no small feat. With no deep third of the field to cover, safeties and linebackers crowd the box. Something all offenses battle, and it created problems for Tennessee in 2019.

Chaney ran the ball 77 times inside the 20 a year ago. The offense averaged nearly 3.1 yards a carry and rushed for 11 scores. Those numbers aren’t bad. But what was costly was the negative plays in the run game. Of the 77 snaps, 21 (27%) went for 0 or negative yards. Maybe that’s why Chaney called four straight passes inside the 10 on the Vols' opening possession against Indiana in the bowl game.

The reality is that moving the ball in the red zone is no easy feat for any team. From an offensive execution standpoint, units must limit mistakes and must have their best focus with smaller holes in the run game and smaller windows in the passing game.

If Tennessee is going to make another jump from Year 2 to Year 3 under Jeremy Pruitt, Jim Chaney’s challenge over the next six months is to improve his units biggest deficiency — red zone efficiency.
-vq

I know it's an academic paper. I read the whole thing. It assumes that so called pack theory can only be establish yourself as alpha through dominance. That is the most noticeable way you see it with wolves in nature, but it is far from the only way. They also provide food, companionship and leadership, aka rewards to reinforce desired behavior. I've never read whatever 1940s pack theory they are trying to disprove, but if it is saying that the only way is negative reinforcement, then yeah I guess it disproves that theory. I don't think most people, including Cesar Milan who the writer seems to have an issue with, train that way. Most use positive and negative reinforcement the same way wolves and humans do. There is nothing in that article that proves dogs are not pack animals though. Just argues over the best way to enforce pack dynamics. Also, the author apparently has never watched the source of much of his angst, Cesar Milan, other than the fact that Cesar says to be the leader of the pack. He brings up Cesar as a bad example of something, then says how you should do things. But the things he says you should do, teaching dogs how to ignore new dogs or humans upon first meetings for example, is a big part of how he trains.

I've seen him have a lot of success and I've seen the other guy (in Fl, don't remember his name) have similar success with a different approach.

I truly hate myself for saying this... but... all it really proved was that when it comes to training dogs, there's more than one way to skin a cat.

And seriously no pun intended. It wasn't meant to be a dad joke haha.

I've seen him have a lot of success and I've seen the other guy (in Fl, don't remember his name) have similar success with a different approach.

I truly hate myself for saying this... but... all it really proved was that when it comes to training dogs, there's more than one way to skin a cat.

And seriously no pun intended. It wasn't meant to be a dad joke haha.
Skinning a cat is the only way to train a dog.

well, they're not wrong on that. and that doesn't count the times we were inside the 35 and didn't get points via FG or whatever.

not gonna pretend to have answers to that particular issue, but it does have to start with the ability to run the ball....and i think wiht the OLine we're gonna have, it definitley will start there.

the other thing that we can't really account for yet is just how much impact the newly acquired speed might have in situations like this.

but all in all, yeah, RZ efficiency was one thing i think we all knew had to improve headed in to this year.

Reactions: VOLSONLY

A bit premature to be asking for followers...but he's going to be a 4 or 5 star recruit most likely and is an edge rusher so I'll allow it I think.

He also ALREADY has a UT Offer, fwiw

class of '22...
giphy.gif

I know it's an academic paper. I read the whole thing. It assumes that so called pack theory can only be establish yourself as alpha through dominance. That is the most noticeable way you see it with wolves in nature, but it is far from the only way. They also provide food, companionship and leadership, aka rewards to reinforce desired behavior. I've never read whatever 1940s pack theory they are trying to disprove, but if it is saying that the only way is negative reinforcement, then yeah I guess it disproves that theory. I don't think most people, including Cesar Milan who the writer seems to have an issue with, train that way. Most use positive and negative reinforcement the same way wolves and humans do. There is nothing in that article that proves dogs are not pack animals though. Just argues over the best way to enforce pack dynamics. Also, the author apparently has never watched the source of much of his angst, Cesar Milan, other than the fact that Cesar says to be the leader of the pack. He brings up Cesar as a bad example of something, then says how you should do things. But the things he says you should do, teaching dogs how to ignore new dogs or humans upon first meetings for example, is a big part of how Cesar trains. In fact most of the authors recommendations are the same as what Cesar does.
I don't want to get tossed from the RF so I swear I'm done after this. That article was a quick grab off google, not the basis of my thoughts on the matter, so I apologize for being hasty. I still think there's a miscommunication about the way we're using terms, and what I mean when I say pack hierarchy/dominance theory is no longer supported by most animal behaviorists. Here are some better resources if either of you are interested in reading more. If you're not, that's cool. If you guys have any sources besides Cesar that still advocate Cesar's style of training, I'd love to see them. I haven't been able to find much, and I'm trying to learn as much as I can before bringing this new pup home.

https://avsab.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Dominance_Position_Statement_download-10-3-14.pdf
https://apdt.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/dominance-and-dog-training.pdf
The Dominance Controversy
(PDF) Dominance versus leadership in dog training
Survey of the use and outcome of confrontational and non-confrontational training methods in client-owned dogs showing undesired behaviors - ScienceDirect

Maybe the conglomerate consisting of KFC, Pizza Hut, and Taco Bell will purchase the Krystal corporation. Could you imagine a combined Krystal /Taco Bell? An absolute 1 stop make me sh*t shop.

I like 1 Stop & Drop better, rolls out easier if you will...like that combination of Fast Food does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back