Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Random thought because I wasn’t able to see Arky game. But just watched the highlights. It really looks like Vescovi has completely changed this team. We have someone that can drive and dish the rock. He’s not Bone fast but he’s saavy. Recency bias or no?

That Vescovi kid is coming along quite nicely. His play now is like night and day in comparison to his beginning here.

He's a baller.

Random thought because I wasn’t able to see Arky game. But just watched the highlights. It really looks like Vescovi has completely changed this team. We have someone that can drive and dish the rock. He’s not Bone fast but he’s saavy. Recency bias or no?

Two things people really seem to miss when I've seen criticism of Vescovi.

1. Jordan Bone wasn't just a fast PG, he was -the- fastest PG in the NCAA last season, at least that entered the NBA draft and the combined proved it.
2. Santiago didn't arrive in great basketball shape, I think he's starting to regain his quickness as he's playing himself into better shape.

I'm excited to see his improvement with a full off-season in the S&C program.

I don't worry much about outside but more companionship? But full admission, I've spent a lot of time studying wild animals and very little on domesticated.

Wolves are extremely social pack animals. More likely to be found wondering alone (awake obviously) than to be found sleeping away from the pack.

We had outside dogs when I was kid but never a single dog for this reason. Also why many whine or howl at night if you leave them alone? Does it not apply to certain breeds of domestics or what?
The big thing is that, ultimately, dogs are pretty insanely removed from their ancestors at this point. Yes, your dog likes running, and swimming, and playing in mud, but we've bred them for thousands of years to do that with humans. Modern dogs are much more interested in forming a connection with their human counterparts, than with with other animals. Every dog is an individual, and some will have more primal instincts than others, but humans have spent a ton of time, energy, and resources on domesticating dogs, with the goal of creating the perfect companion animal. They'd rather be with you, than roaming free, with the exception of some working breeds, or feral animals.

1. Jordan Bone wasn't just a fast PG, he was -the- fastest PG in the NCAA last season, at least that entered the NBA draft and the combined proved it.
2. Santiago didn't arrive in great basketball shape, I think he's starting to regain his quickness as he's playing himself into better shape.

Great post that I totally agree with. Hes good right now but after a year of sc he will be great.Love his game.

3. he's only been playing with this group for a month.......he's gonna do nothing but get better.

i like the kid. he is saavy and as the rest of the guys get used to how he sees the court, and what he considers a passing lane....the better it'll flow.

and i like that he can freakin' shoot the ball. man, that's one thing i think we've missed the last couple years and this year too, is that guy that can spot up and hit shots on the fly, and in transition. i don't think he's quite there yet, from a consistency standoint, but man, he sure has shown he can do it at least.

i hate it when we get those really good offensive sets, move the ball, get the defense chasing, and hit that open guy at the permiter...everything up until the shot was taken was great........and clang......

anyway....yeah. i'm a fan.

The big thing is that, ultimately, dogs are pretty insanely removed from their ancestors at this point. Yes, your dog likes running, and swimming, and playing in mud, but we've bred them for thousands of years to do that with humans. Modern dogs are much more interested in forming a connection with their human counterparts, than with with other animals. Every dog is an individual, and some will have more primal instincts than others, but humans have spent a ton of time, energy, and resources on domesticating dogs, with the goal of creating the perfect companion animal. They'd rather be with you, than roaming free, with the exception of some working breeds, or feral animals.

Humans still meet their social requirements. Heck I've seen them bond with everything from horses to even a deer. There's one down the road that even beds near a duck.
And feral dogs definitely form packs if there's a possibility to do so.

Now I was asking if there's certain breeds less prone but in general, I'm fairly confident most still prefer to bed near some form of companion.
Not all get the chance and maybe they don't "raise a fuss", but many seem to show the preference.

You've seen where we live. Plenty of room to roam. We've had several dogs and none have ran off. Maybe for a day or two but always came back. We were willing to chip the dog. I even offered to build a large pen for when we weren't home. I offered to do an invisible fence. They wanted the dog in the house. I can't have a inside dog. I am allergic to dogs. Love them but can't share a living space with them for very long.

My neighbor across the street has outside dogs that bark at everything and look miserable AF when its cold or raining outside. I feel very sorry for them. I also have a doberman that hates being outside unless its at least 80 degrees out. It just sounds like to me, if you are allergic to dogs then it's not for you. Like it's been said, having a dog is for companionship they share their lives with you and are completely awesome, innocent unconditionally loving creatures. I don't see the point of just having them living outside while you are inside unless they are working dogs.

Wait...what? I mean, I appreciate your willingness to care for a dog but I kinda don't understand why you'd get a dog that you never allow inside...if you're allergic why get the dog? (also there's breeds that won't cause issues with the allergy if it's dander related).

When one is allergic, generally it is not confined to just dander. Saliva, urine, feces, and so forth are left in traces wherever they are and go. My wife suffers horribly if exposed. We have to make sure we use pet free rooms/condos when we travel and avoid homes of friends that have them. She was allergy tested twice through the years with follow-up shots for years as well as drops under the tongue in the second treatment period for years to no avail. Not the only things she is allergic to, however, it was one of the most dangerous.

Agree, but that's because they see us as pack alphas, since we provide food & shelter for them. My wife & I walk our dogs twice a day (off leash) as a "pack", and sometimes our cats join us in our walk.

When we go out shopping or somewhere else they can't go, they get somewhat depressed and wait near the door because the pack leaders have left without them.

Last edited:
My neighbor across the street has outside dogs that bark at everything and look miserable AF when its cold or raining outside. I feel very sorry for them. I also have a doberman that hates being outside unless its at least 80 degrees out. It just sounds like to me, if you are allergic to dogs then it's not for you. Like it's been said, having a dog is for companionship they share their lives with you and are completely awesome, innocent unconditionally loving creatures. I don't see the point of just having them living outside while you are inside unless they are working dogs.
Lol. Maybe you should spend more time outside with your dogs. Dogs were meant to be outside. We as humans have conditioned them to be inside dogs. Seems to me that people that keep them inside are the ones that are being cruel.

I have had many, many dogs. They've loved me as I have loved them. Spent countless hours outside with them. How about you let me decide if a dog is right for me and I'll let you decide how you enjoy your dogs?

All the dogs I've owned would never work as inside dogs. I'd have to bathe them after each outside excursion. Mainly because my dogs loved to get dirty. Give them a bath, the first thing they'd do is roll around in the dirt.

Agree, but that's because they see us as pack alphas, since we provide food & shelter for them. My wife & I walk our dogs twice a day as a "pack", and sometimes our cats join us in our walk.

When we go out shopping or somewhere else they can't go, they get somewhat depressed and wait near the door because the pack leaders have left without them.
Not to be rude, but pack theory has been debunked at this point, so I would disagree with that sentiment. It was all based on one bad study conducted in the 40s, and people keep repeating it, but animal behaviorists don't put any stock into it anymore. The Outdated Methodology of Pack Theory and Its Influence on Modern Dog Training – Academic Journal of Canine Science

I hate seeing dogs chained up. I got my oldest lab when he was 4 months old and we were his 4th family. He was chained up outside, his chain was 2 ft long. Why have a dog if its ju just chained up or in a 2x4 pen.

Lol. Maybe you should spend more time outside with your dogs. Dogs were meant to be outside. We as humans have conditioned them to be inside dogs. Seems to me that people that keep them inside are the ones that are being cruel.

I have had many, many dogs. They've loved me as I have loved them. Spent countless hours outside with them. How about you let me decide if a dog is right for me and I'll let you decide how you enjoy your dogs?

All the dogs I've owned would never work as inside dogs. I'd have to bathe them after each outside excursion. Mainly because my dogs loved to get dirty. Give them a bath, the first thing they'd do is roll around in the dirt.

I spend time with them inside and outside. They love the arrangement just fine. I doubt I am being cruel and the other countless millions who share their home with their dogs aren't either but hey man, I was just trying to get you see the rescue/shelter side of it. You just sound like a grandpa who keeps the dog outside and throws table scraps out the back door for their dinner and they die in 5 years.

In the past I have had small dogs and just kept them in the house. We have though about leaving Winston outside in our fenced backyard, but so far we just let him have the run of the house while we are gone. To each their own. I like it when I come in the door and Winston is there to greet me. Plus, living in a neighborhood, dogs can't just exactly run free.

Well today's board took a turn. It went from posting loving pictures of our dogs to who deserves to actually own a dog.
I think I now know what it's like to be a part of all those Mom groups my friends are in.

Also, don't judge my avatar. It was a moment of weakness. Delicious, delicious weakness.

Our new puppy from the local animal rescue. She's a handful already.
View attachment 261425
Dalmatians are a quirky breed. Nightmare evolved when Disney released the live action 101 Dalmatians many years back. Supply demand and return in droves with non patient customers buying a cute puppy.

You've seen where we live. Plenty of room to roam. We've had several dogs and none have ran off. Maybe for a day or two but always came back. We were willing to chip the dog. I even offered to build a large pen for when we weren't home. I offered to do an invisible fence. They wanted the dog in the house. I can't have a inside dog. I am allergic to dogs. Love them but can't share a living space with them for very long.
We have similar situations, lots of room to run but my differences are along breeds and their human inputs. Some breeds work better for preferred human requirements. We always let the bigger dogs( German Shepherd, Collie, Airedale’s) stay outside or around our horses in the barn, etc. and come indoors when we wanted. Finally as life moved on we switched to wire fox terriers. Both for companionship and their very nature outside, a true go to ground dog.
A Hypoallergenic, non shedding breed makes a great inside companion. Wires, most terriers, poodles etc many to choose. we just got a poodle/ Coton de Tulear mix, non shedding, all that. I hope she’s a water dog.
Side note, chipping is only for honest humans.

Dalmatians are a quirky breed. Nightmare evolved when Disney released the live action 101 Dalmatians many years back. Supply demand and return in droves with non patient customers buying a cute puppy.
also a breed much more likely to bite you, was bitten when i was four on the ear, mom walked outside and shot it between the eyes. Fireman across street raised hell for about 2 seconds, then chilled out for some reason

also a breed much more likely to bite you, was bitten when i was four on the ear, mom walked outside and shot it between the eyes. Fireman across street raised hell for about 2 seconds, then chilled out for some reason
People don’t play on the Cumberland Plateau!

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back