Listen to Kellie!

I agree with you coach. Most all coaches will call a timeout to try and stop a run, especially a young team. I would like for someone to ask her why she doesn't believe in it.

Geno started this phenomenon, he did it to grow his team and it worked..

Trouble is others followed and didn't pick up on one thing...He made sure his team was ready for this step
If your team is advanced enough that this challenges them to get even better, it is a great tactic
But if your team isn't mature and cohesive enough, it does just the opposite, it takes the life out of them

Everybody's all over Jordan, but consider,,,,she had one turnover for the entire first quarter and only started being a turnover machine once a 17-4 run ensued with no attempt to interrupt it....This is why I am down on AB...He has to see something like this and make sure Coach K sees it too. And if he is telling Coach K about this and she isn't picking up on it, well...

In the conference Kellie was in she could do this as well as sub sporadically and still win because she had the elite athletes and proven program in that conference,,,Now she is in the SEC...Strategies must change.

This will be a great builder of character once character is built.
Right now, it is still in its foundation stage

Dang, madtown, you make too much sense. I read all these negative, handwringing post and just as I'm about to get all wound up and ready to jump off the cliff with them you come along with a highly insightful and level headed comment. You or they need to stop. I feel like a yoyo.

Yoyo...One of my favorite expressions is...."As confused than a termite on a yoyo"

Reactions: Creekdog
Ren was on the bench when Q1 ended with us leading 21-19

A 17-4 run with no timeout killed us...It took the life out of those kids.
If Coach don't play, the players don't play

And I am NOT a Kellie hater, I am 100% behind her...I just have the nerve to tell her what AL doesn't[/QUOTE

Who is Ren?

Everybody's all over Jordan, but consider,,,,she had one turnover for the entire first quarter and only started being a turnover machine once a 17-4 run ensued with no attempt to interrupt it..
I don't get how not calling time out to potentially stop a run is related to Jordan making turnovers. Jordan did not just become a t.o. machine after the run, she has been one all season. The beast just unleashed at that particular time in this particular game but I don't see any relation.

Part of the mystery of Horston's t.o. tendency in fact is that it seems to crank up at random times for no apparent reason. Exactly like previous L.Vs who've struggled with this. That's why it seems so mental and not really related to what the other team is doing.

As far as calling timeouts to stop runs, the flip side of potentially stopping momentum is giving the team on the run a chance to celebrate their success, you know, have the bench crew rush off the bench and chest bump them, and more importantly gives them a breather to come back and do it some more.

I'd have to go the common sense route - if you have actual strategic adjustments you can impart in the limited window of a timeout that might stop the run, by all means call it. Also if your players just seem physically gassed. But as far as a t.o. in and of itself being magical in stopping runs just seems overly simplistic to me.

BTW, I don't mean to be "all over" Jordan. I want her to get help with what is a glaring weakness in her game right now, and one that is clearly contributing big time to the LVs biggest problem, wasted possessions.

I don't get how not calling time out to potentially stop a run is related to Jordan making turnovers. Jordan did not just become a t.o. machine after the run, she has been one all season. The beast just unleashed at that particular time in this particular game but I don't see any relation.

Part of the mystery of Horston's t.o. tendency in fact is that it seems to crank up at random times for no apparent reason. Exactly like previous L.Vs who've struggled with this. That's why it seems so mental and not really related to what the other team is doing.

As far as calling timeouts to stop runs, the flip side of potentially stopping momentum is giving the team on the run a chance to celebrate their success, you know, have the bench crew rush off the bench and chest bump them, and more importantly gives them a breather to come back and do it some more.

I'd have to go the common sense route - if you have actual strategic adjustments you can impart in the limited window of a timeout that might stop the run, by all means call it. Also if your players just seem physically gassed. But as far as a t.o. in and of itself being magical in stopping runs just seems overly simplistic to me.

You ever play this game?
Maybe watch the pro's and get back to me on this

I'm not going to let your insolence get to me tonight
C yz

Reactions: Remy
You ever play this game?
Maybe watch the pro's and get back to me on this

I'm not going to let your insolence get to me tonight
C yz
Is this an answer to my post you quoted? Sincerely, I have no earthly idea what you're talking about. Not going to tolerate my "insolence"? WTF? OK Dad!

Can't you ever just discuss the LVs without making it all personal about you?

These recent losses are what bumps feel like.
Bandwagon jumping when things look good and handwringing during the inevitable bumps is what internet forums feel like. Posts which handwring about the handwringing are also what these forums feel like. LOL I guess that's why these forums are so umimportant to the actual coaches and players, but don't tell that to some of our more sensitive posters who like to think we are a fount of knowledge sadly ignored.
It painful to see so many posts making Horston a target; it is shades of Evina. A top ranked freshman who is being asked to carry a heavy load and having mixed results. What does anyone really expect
I don't feel Horston is a "target" for stating the obvious - her whooping number of t.o.s and her really bad a/t.o. ratio is a big hurdle for her and for the team. My exact worry is that she will become Evina - living down to worst tendencies with no apparent help to break the cycle until she becomes the self-fulfilling prophecy of a t.o. machine. Then becomes discouraged and frustrated mentally. Seen that over and over the last few years, begging not to repeat with the obviously talented Horston.

What do I really expect? That the ton of minutes she's played will show some semblence of improvement by now. It hasn't, and that's my concern.

Is this an answer to my post you quoted? Sincerely, I have no earthly idea what you're talking about. Not going to tolerate my "insolence"? WTF? OK Dad!

Can't you ever just discuss the LVs without making it all personal about you?

You consistently attack Jordan and you have no idea what that kid might be going through
I defend players, I am a coach
Yes I take it personal when someone keeps calling out a player

WTF son?

Reactions: EarlVolFan
she has the third highest A-to if your include Jesse...otherwise she is #2

Leave her the heck alone

If you were the parent of a team coach by me. You would appreciate the fact that I take your child as my own while she's under my care. And even though Jordan And the rest of them aren't under my care but they are on my team.

Last edited:
You consistently attack Jordan and you have no idea what that kid might be going through
I defend players, I am a coach
Yes I take it personal when someone keeps calling out a player

WTF son?
she has the third highest A-to if your include Jesse...otherwise she is #2

Leave her the heck alone
Again, you continue to comically/tragically overstate and personalize all of this. I am not "attacking" anyone, I am discussing LV basketball on a fan forum. Of course the glaring problems keeping our team from making progress are going to be discussed.

To personalize it as an actual attack on a kid and moreso, to cast yourself as her defender is a little creepy and alot off topic. Correct, I don't know what goes on with any player offscreen, nor do I want to. Has nothing to do with this discussion. Please, please internalize that they do not read this junk and if they did waste the time could not care less. Nothing said is a personal attack since I do not pretend to know, communicate, or influence any of them in real life.

As to the actual substance of the discussion, being #2 or #3 in a/t.o. ratio when your ratio barely creeps above 1/1 is exactly the problem. Only Jaz, with a very decent 3/1 comes close to being acceptable for a successful team.

Last edited:
Again, you continue to comically/tragically overstate and personalize all of this. I am not "attacking" anyone, I am discussing LV basketball on a fan forum. Of course the glaring problems keeping our team from making progress are going to be discussed.

To personalize it as an actual attack on a kid and moreso, to cast yourself as her defender is a little creepy and alot off topic. Please, please internalize that they do not read this junk and if they did waste the time could not care less. Nothing said is a personal attack since I do not pretend to know, communicate, or influence any of them.

As to the actual substance of the discussion, being #2 or #3 in a/t.o. ratio when your ratio barely creeps above 1/1 is exactly the problem. Only Jaz, with a very decent 3/1 comes close to being acceptable for a successful team.

Dincha hear me

KJH needs to find a way to calm Burrell and her reckless bull in the China Cabinet play, start her along with Davis. We need at least two consistent scorers to ease the double team on Davis. We also need Horston to make better decisions. I would probably make Massengill my point, because she makes better decisions than Houston. This would ease the load on Horston shoulders and make her more of a scorer. Horston has the ability to creat shots. I would keep Key at the one because of her blocking shot ability. She needs to improve her ability to block out defender while going for the rebound. She does not block out defenders well and she tends to not jump for rebounds. My first person off the bench would be Brown, whom I would play more minutes than the rest of my bench. At this point we need to realize that we simply do not have a bench of dynamic players who can match the skills of the top 25 teams bench. KK has the capability of playing some productive minutes, however, she does not seem to be in great shape. Playing her a significant amounts of time can create a disadvantage on both ends of the court. Harris is capable of giving any of our starters a blow, but not a significant amount of time against top 25 competition. McCoy, if healthy, seems to have the ability to sub in for one of our starters. Rennie may fair well against certain competition but has problems guarding above average guards. I think she needs a little more seasoning. I would like to see a little more of Saunders.

The one thing we need to accept is, against top 25 competition, we can not play KK, Rennie, McCoy and Harris together for full quarters. Fouls may dictate that we play two or three bench players, but we need at least two possible scorers in the lineup. If we start Burrell over Brown, we have only one scorer on the bench. The rest of our bench can play decent defense, however, they are a offensive liability. Against top 25 competition we, at best, are 7 players strong. Mass subbing worked well in the MVC, however, we do not have the players to do the same thing against top 25 competition. In addition, we simply do not have a team of aggressive players.
Really love this post and I couldn't have said it better myself.

Thought with all this t.o. talk I'd take a look at the SEC stats. Guess what? Ms Jaz Mass is tied for the league lead in assist to turnover ratio at 2.5. Tied with the A&M pg and the Miss St pg, all three just a shade above So Car's Ty Harris, a pg you may have seen destroy UConn tonight, at 2.4. Very elite company shes in.

We need a good backup pg, but by gosh we got a very, very good pg. Who in the universe could have seen this coming based on last year? Don't know if the diff is owing to KJH, to Jaz herself, or to Coach Lacy as previously reported, but let's get JH into this program pronto.

I would like to see Jaz look to score a bit more, take on a little more aggressive offensive role. But she's definitely a safe harbor in the t.o. storm and kind of underappreciated IMO.

Question: did Jordan play pg in high school (probably did in order to get the ball in her hands more)? Did we recruit her as a pg, or promise her that? B/C I definitely agree she seems more a 2 or possibly even a 3.

Reactions: T_Vol376 and lvocd
Oh Lord I hope not! Why do you say that? She's already been more consistent this year than I ever remember Reynolds being.

I say it because Reynolds had low turnovers but wasn’t aggressive enough offensively. It wasn’t a dig. Just an honest comparison.

Reactions: stllvf
I say it because Reynolds had low turnovers but wasn’t aggressive enough offensively. It wasn’t a dig. Just an honest comparison.
that's fair. I just think of Reynolds as one of the army of recent players who were loaded with potential, had occasional good games but never were consistent or developed the way they should have. Sure hope Jaz doesn't end up in that category. If she improves as much this offseason as she did last, we'll have an all SEC pg.

Reactions: stllvf and gule
Remember, Jordan Reynolds' career was plagued by the unfortunate propensity for getting severe concussions. That woman was ferociously competitive. So much so that she would dive after loose balls with reckless abandon... and that's how she ended up getting concussions. It was a shame she had such bad luck with injuries. :(

Probably doesn't understand why he's still here when he can be there tomorrow...🤷‍♂️

He’s trying his darnedest!

I learned today that Coach J has messaged Jordan’s mom wanting to work with Jordan. She contacted a mutual friend wanting to know who the heck he was and why was he messaging her. She has been informed.

This is what he does y’all.

He’s trying his darnedest!

I learned today that Coach J has messaged Jordan’s mom wanting to work with Jordan. She contacted a mutual friend wanting to know who the heck he was and why was he messaging her. She has been informed.

This is what he does y’all.

Not sure why so many find his schtick endearing. If this is true, it's just disturbing IMO...

VN Store

Back