Listen to Kellie!

Mississippi State, "This is What They Do" in reference to turnovers.

This isn't the full quote and makes it sound like she's making excuses. Here's the full quote:

"I think a lot of times we come out of games, and we look at that stat sheet, and the majority of those turnovers are ours. And it's probably the same this game. However, you do to give them a lot of credit with their defense. That's what they do, and sometimes they just wear on you so long that you are bound to make a turnover. Sometimes, it's not necessarily them getting a steal as much as it is them wearing you down. Our guards had to play heavy minutes tonight, and that's not an easy thing to do when you're getting that kind of pressure for 40 minutes."

I hope Rennie works on her ball-handling skills in the off-season. She's a pretty good passer and her defense has improved tremendously since the beginning of the year, but she needs to handle the ball better to really provide good minutes off the bench.

Rennia plays and this would have been a totally different game

Ren was on the bench when Q1 ended with us leading 21-19

A 17-4 run with no timeout killed us...It took the life out of those kids.
If Coach don't play, the players don't play

And I am NOT a Kellie hater, I am 100% behind her...I just have the nerve to tell her what AL doesn't

And I am NOT a Kellie hater, I am 100% behind her...I just have the nerve to tell her what AL doesn't
Can I ask a really dumb question? Who is AL?

Reactions: Franklin Pierce

How in the heck do you know what Al Brown says or not. Good God, jealousy is never attractive. We all appreciate your insights, please don’t make yourself look small friend.

How in the heck do you know what Al Brown says or not. Good God, jealousy is never attractive. We all appreciate your insights, please don’t make yourself look small friend.

Not jealous, just don't get it.
It is the most standard play in basketball
....run,,,timeout

Then I have to read everyone attacking the players

I am just perplexed,,,if he IS telling her this,,,I am even more perplexed.
I mean really,,,it's basic.

I do apologize for my emotions getting the best of me, but I keep hearing Jordan needs to be benched and the kid was great early on...top two in the country when drafted. And played her butt off at the start.

Key, same way...Scored at a decent click early on,,,highly touted.

Now Rae's getting poked,,,"Bench her" (read her latest postings).

These kids are better than they are playing and I for one will take any crap off of anybody just to get their confidence back

Not calling timeouts is a fad I can't wait for to end

Last edited:
Reactions: 007Racer
Not jealous, just don't get it.
It is the most standard play in basketball
....run,,,timeout

Then I have to read everyone attacking the players

I am just perplexed,,,if he IS telling her this,,,I am even more perplexed.
I mean really,,,it's basic.

I do apologize for my emotions getting the best of me, but I keep hearing Jordan needs to be benched and the kid was great early on...top two in the country when drafted. And played her butt off at the start.

Key, same way...Scored at a decent click early on,,,highly touted.

Now Rae's getting poked,,,"Bench her" (read her latest postings).

These kids are better than they are playing and I for one will take any crap off of anybody just to get their confidence back

Not calling timeouts is a fad I can't wait for to end
And then we started playing better teams.

This isn't the full quote and makes it sound like she's making excuses. Here's the full quote:

"I think a lot of times we come out of games, and we look at that stat sheet, and the majority of those turnovers are ours. And it's probably the same this game. However, you do to give them a lot of credit with their defense. That's what they do, and sometimes they just wear on you so long that you are bound to make a turnover. Sometimes, it's not necessarily them getting a steal as much as it is them wearing you down. Our guards had to play heavy minutes tonight, and that's not an easy thing to do when you're getting that kind of pressure for 40 minutes."

I don't think she was making excuses. She called it like it was. At some point, Tennessee wilted against MSST's high pressure defense. Then they began panicking and it went downhill from there. It's not like Tennessee was just bouncing the ball off their shoes. They were being pressured the length of the court, and lacked the composure to effectively break the press. This is something Kellie has to prepare them for, and it's on her if she can't fix this soon.

Rennia plays and this would have been a totally different game
KJH needs to find a way to calm Burrell and her reckless bull in the China Cabinet play, start her along with Davis. We need at least two consistent scorers to ease the double team on Davis. We also need Horston to make better decisions. I would probably make Massengill my point, because she makes better decisions than Houston. This would ease the load on Horston shoulders and make her more of a scorer. Horston has the ability to creat shots. I would keep Key at the one because of her blocking shot ability. She needs to improve her ability to block out defender while going for the rebound. She does not block out defenders well and she tends to not jump for rebounds. My first person off the bench would be Brown, whom I would play more minutes than the rest of my bench. At this point we need to realize that we simply do not have a bench of dynamic players who can match the skills of the top 25 teams bench. KK has the capability of playing some productive minutes, however, she does not seem to be in great shape. Playing her a significant amounts of time can create a disadvantage on both ends of the court. Harris is capable of giving any of our starters a blow, but not a significant amount of time against top 25 competition. McCoy, if healthy, seems to have the ability to sub in for one of our starters. Rennie may fair well against certain competition but has problems guarding above average guards. I think she needs a little more seasoning. I would like to see a little more of Saunders.

The one thing we need to accept is, against top 25 competition, we can not play KK, Rennie, McCoy and Harris together for full quarters. Fouls may dictate that we play two or three bench players, but we need at least two possible scorers in the lineup. If we start Burrell over Brown, we have only one scorer on the bench. The rest of our bench can play decent defense, however, they are a offensive liability. Against top 25 competition we, at best, are 7 players strong. Mass subbing worked well in the MVC, however, we do not have the players to do the same thing against top 25 competition. In addition, we simply do not have a team of aggressive players.

I am signing off before I get the masses mad again...sorry for my outburst
Hey Coach J. I can only tell you how a post on here looks to my eye. If you tell me that your motivations are different than my take I will always take you at your word. All good here and I totally agree with your support of the kids.
I think the week break comes at a good time for our LVs, especially the young ones.

May I suggest that time outs are not magical occurrences? I know they are the standard response to runs but they don't usually actually work. Not often going to fix what is causing you to get schooled in a timeout. I know, maybe calm em down, disrupt momentum, etc. But we're acting like they're the second coming and the cure to psoriasis..

And I see even less connection btw time out usage and turnovers. I may have misread, but at some point I thought Jordan's t.o.s were getting blamed on lack of time outs. Unless t.o.s are caused by exhaustion I don't see how time outs help. Sure not going to teach decision making in a 30 second huddle.

This is just me and my lifelong habit of closely watching players’ body language and facial expressions, but very soon after we started seeing stories and videos of the team it became obvious to me that Horston is likely an unusually sensitive, kind and tender-hearted young woman. She appears to love her teammates and coaches so much that it’s probably killing her to feel like she’s letting them down by making some of the mistakes her little freshman self is making.

I get the feeling that Kellie is super-conscious of Jordan’s somewhat fragile psyche, and so is hesitant to be too hard on her because she knows that NO ONE is harder on Jordan than Jordan herself.

I think I am seeing Kellie handling Jordan in the exact same way as Pat Summitt once handled a player with what I perceived then as having an identical psyche to Jordan now: Chamique Holdsclaw. Mique was deeply sensitive in a way that Pat couldn’t lay into her like she could other players. She had to baby her just a little more and, well, it worked out for everyone.

The most difficult thing on Harper’s career to-do list is to find the perfect balance between “kid gloves” and “tough love” with the tender-hearted Horston. That kid is precious, and I want so much for her to know that she’s okay! She just needs to relax and have fun and stop worrying about letting anyone down. Just enjoy her youth, getting her education, and her Lady Vol family — that’s all she needs to do.

Last edited:

Excuses are the nails to build a house of failure.

Thank goodness Rick Barnes is not conceding competitiveness and control to the opponent due to youth and inexperience. Players don’t age out of mistakes. They have to be held accountable.

Last edited:
Advisor to her as the coach or a team advisor? I’m just trying to educate myself lol.

He is only allowed, per my understanding direct contact with her. As a basketball expert. As far as I can surmise, he is on hire to advise her on anything basketball,,, scouting the team, opponents, games, advising practice, games and anything Coach K wants him to advice on.,,,virtually anything BB....But NO contact directly with the players,,, I am trying to get more detail on exactly how it works, but am just now speaking with my contacts on this,,,,Hopefully, he has a thick skin and sees me not as a threat, but an ally

Hey Coach J. I can only tell you how a post on here looks to my eye. If you tell me that your motivations are different than my take I will always take you at your word. All good here and I totally agree with your support of the kids.
I think the week break comes at a good time for our LVs, especially the young ones.

I have coached for over forty years now and my first thought is for the players. My strongest critique is and always will be on the HC and staff. I am who I am and cannot change this. I hurt for those kids as if they were my own charges. This gets me in trouble sometimes, but my hide has toughened over the years being a coach myself.

This rolled over into this board and I offended several posters, if not most recently. I kept hearing how insignificant my role was and how non-impactful this site was and took it to heart, as when I posted game threads, I literally put hours into the research as if I were an actual member of the staff. This is my work-ethic and character it follows me everywhere. Even at my present job, I recently moved to the Pigeon Forge area and went to work at a major venue there. Started from the very bottom and saw employee "needs" in my new job...There too I have risked everything for change and have helped many while jeopardizing my own job.

That's just me.

May I suggest that time outs are not magical occurrences? I know they are the standard response to runs but they don't usually actually work. Not often going to fix what is causing you to get schooled in a timeout. I know, maybe calm em down, disrupt momentum, etc. But we're acting like they're the second coming and the cure to psoriasis..

And I see even less connection btw time out usage and turnovers. I may have misread, but at some point I thought Jordan's t.o.s were getting blamed on lack of time outs. Unless t.o.s are caused by exhaustion I don't see how time outs help. Sure not going to teach decision making in a 30 second huddle.

If you don't see changes in the momentum on a very high percentages of timeouts used to interrupt momentum and runs, you may be in a minority. Consider this is one of the oldest coaching tactics in the game, that is still used as a tactic...If it didn't work, it would be the exception, not the rule. At least in this coach;s opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rooster1 and Remy
Excuses are the nails to build a house of failure.

Thank goodness Rick Barnes is not conceding competitiveness and control to the opponent due to youth and inexperience. Players don’t age out of mistakes. They have to be held accountable.

The road to success and the road to failure are almost exactly the same...as Winston Churchill once said, "Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm"

Last edited:

VN Store

Back