Senator wants UT, "Tiger High" Memphis to compete annually

Why would you ever want to give them the clout of being a member of the SEC?

Asking Memphis State to join the SEC would be the equivalent of the rich family in town bringing in the little kid from the wrong side of the tracks that has a pissy attitude and a long rap sheet because they felt bad for him.

Oh, and Memphis State carries that "poor me, we have been so put upon" to the max.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
I have always said it would be nice for Tennessee to play ETSU,MTSU UTC etc for thier easy game to win. It would keep $ in state and maybe help those schools athletic dept stay afloat. As for Govt mandate, hell no.

Long term there's no way that UT-Vandy remains as competitive as it was this decade [just look at them firing their AD for spending too much on athletics], having a permanently competitive in-state rivalry would be cool. The idea of having a game at LP is interesting as well, although I doubt they'd agree to permanent Neyland-LP-Neyland-LP... would probably take Neyland-LP-Neyland-Liberty at minimum.

Relatedly, if Vanderbilt ever leaves the SEC, I'm way more interested in scheduling Memphis than continuing to schedule Vandy.

Haven't posted on here in a long time but this topic always gets me going. A lot of you guys don't live down here and just don't get the inferiority complex that infests their fan base and the irrational hatred of all things UT. Big Orange fans down here have to put up with it daily. We gain nothing from playing them in anything. (And I hope that Barnes cancels the b-ball series as well.) And heaven forbid they win one like in '96 because you're going to hear about it for the next 25 years. The recruiting angle is ridiculous. Example- Eric Gray last year and 5 of the best players in Shelby County this year and, the last I checked, we didn't have to play 'em to get 'em. And this isn't a new opinion for me. If you knew me from the old News Sentinel forum (#Colliervol), you'll know I've maintained that position for 25 years and it ain't changing. Doesn't matter that they've had a decent run against worse than mediocre competition. Screw 'em.

Haven't posted on here in a long time but this topic always gets me going. A lot of you guys don't live down here and just don't get the inferiority complex that infests their fan base and the irrational hatred of all things UT. Big Orange fans down here have to put up with it daily. We gain nothing from playing them in anything. (And I hope that Barnes cancels the b-ball series as well.) And heaven forbid they win one like in '96 because you're going to hear about it for the next 25 years. The recruiting angle is ridiculous. Example- Eric Gray last year and 5 of the best players in Shelby County this year and, the last I checked, we didn't have to play 'em to get 'em. And this isn't a new opinion for me. If you knew me from the old News Sentinel forum (#Colliervol), you'll know I've maintained that position for 25 years and it ain't changing. Doesn't matter that they've had a decent run against worse than mediocre competition. Screw 'em.
You hit all the facts squarely on the head! I don't think many in our fan base have a good understanding of all the dynamics involved. No reason to play them. Financial liability aside, they spew more hatred and venom UT's way then most could imagine.

On a side note, how about all those Tiger basketball fans who were outraged because they weren't ranked in the Top Ten preseason? What are they saying now?

Long term there's no way that UT-Vandy remains as competitive as it was this decade [just look at them firing their AD for spending too much on athletics], having a permanently competitive in-state rivalry would be cool.
Come again? I personally think it'd be cool to play Memphis annually in Nashville. It would get the entire state involved, but it would not be permanently competitive unless we just continue to fall short of where we want and expect to be.

You hit all the facts squarely on the head! I don't think many in our fan base have a good understanding of all the dynamics involved. No reason to play them. Financial liability aside, they spew more hatred and venom UT's way then most could imagine.

On a side note, how about all those Tiger basketball fans who were outraged because they weren't ranked in the Top Ten preseason? What are they saying now?
The whine of the day here is that Joe Lunardi now has them in the first four out.

Reactions: cardvolfan
Like it did this just finished recruiting cycle?
Are they in the SEC??? I played high school football in Memphis so im speaking from experience. Guys from Memphis love the city to death and would rather stay home. The problem is u cant get the same exposure in Conference USA or the American Athletic Conference that u get in the SEC. They dont have have the same budget as the SEC schools so facilities arent equal, and SEC coaching is damn near NFL level. Ole Miss has been grabbing quality players in Memphis for years ( Oher, Hardy, Poe, Willis, Vaughn, etc) simply becuase they are the closest SEC campus to Memphis. If Memphis joined the SEC it would be damn near impossible to get guys from there. U probably wouldnt know about this but High School Coaches in Memphis were actually steering their guys away from UT for a while becuase they felt like UT showed the area little interest. Everyone should be thanking Coach Pruitt for reopening that pipeline. The minute he became HBC he made UT more accessible to ALL high school coaches in TN.

For basketball, I could understand, but would be boring for football, who would want to watch that? Wouldn't help us either.

Are they in the SEC??? I played high school football in Memphis so im speaking from experience. Guys from Memphis love the city to death and would rather stay home. The problem is u cant get the same exposure in Conference USA or the American Athletic Conference that u get in the SEC. They dont have have the same budget as the SEC schools so facilities arent equal, and SEC coaching is damn near NFL level. Ole Miss has been grabbing quality players in Memphis for years ( Oher, Hardy, Poe, Willis, Vaughn, etc) simply becuase they are the closest SEC campus to Memphis. If Memphis joined the SEC it would be damn near impossible to get guys from there. U probably wouldnt know about this but High School Coaches in Memphis were actually steering their guys away from UT for a while becuase they felt like UT showed the area little interest. Everyone should be thanking Coach Pruitt for reopening that pipeline. The minute he became HBC he made UT more accessible to ALL high school coaches in TN.
. "If Memphis was in the SEC....." Well that's not even worth discussing cause it's NEVER going to happen. Neither UT, Ole Miss or Arkansas would allow it and nobody else in the SEC cares. I do agree with you that Pruitt is doing a good job building relationships down here.

Come again? I personally think it'd be cool to play Memphis annually in Nashville. It would get the entire state involved, but it would not be permanently competitive unless we just continue to fall short of where we want and expect to be.

I could consider it permanently competitive just to have 7 wins per decade, and I think that's pretty realistic. Memphis has a pretty good football program and, unlike Vandy, they're actually trying. AAC is legit, and Memphis is one of the top tier teams in that conference.

Reactions: utchs81
They will NEVER be in the SEC...They don't even own their own stadium....Besides the SEC wouldn't lower its standards to accept them anyways.
Are your panties in a wad, Alice? Guess I had a blue font sarcasm violation.

I could consider it permanently competitive just to have 7 wins per decade, and I think that's pretty realistic. Memphis has a pretty good football program and, unlike Vandy, they're actually trying. AAC is legit, and Memphis is one of the top tier teams in that conference.
. Top tier team in the AAC? Isn't that like being the tallest midget in the midget parade? Don't get me wrong, they're better than they used to be but they play in a entirely different universe than SEC teams. They barely beat a pathetic Ole Miss team 15 to 10 at home. If we are even close to normal, I'd be disappointed if we didn't win 9 of every 10 against Memphis.

. Top tier team in the AAC? Isn't that like being the tallest midget in the midget parade? Don't get me wrong, they're better than they used to be but they play in a entirely different universe than SEC teams. They barely beat a pathetic Ole Miss team 15 to 10 at home. If we are even close to normal, I'd be disappointed if we didn't win 9 of every 10 against Memphis.
But risking that one loss ain't worth the grief we get down here if it happens. It still gets brought up 25 years later.

Reactions: AM64 and Doberman
Doesn’t the state government of TN have anything better to worry about? We don’t need the government telling schools who to play.
Fix our roads until then STFU
Exactly! Typical politicians, can't/won't do their job as it is and then want to step in and eff up something that doesn't even need fixing. Wouldn't doubt there being some palm greasing happening for this to even be on the radar of legislative concern. JMO

VN Store

Back